[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>m-muh FOSS I understand why someone would advocate for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1439497241272.jpg (38 KB, 348x452) Image search: [Google]
1439497241272.jpg
38 KB, 348x452
>m-muh FOSS
I understand why someone would advocate for the use of FOSS, and I get why it's good. But you /g/ memesters actually look at the source code of whatever you're installing? Do you modify it?
>>
>>50791841
Yes. That's why I learn programming languages.
>>
Yep, for real. Modify + build from source is satisfying and you also learn a shitton of stuff.
>>
>Can't see source code
>"But why would anyone want that anyway"
Textbook macfag behaviour.
>>
>>50791841
>Why would there be laws prohibiting the sale of human meat. It's not like anybody CHECKS each time they cook!
>>
>>50791927
I did not question why someone would want to use FOSS, and I understand the advantages of FOSS. My question was whether /g/ memesters actually modified the source code of the software they're installing instead of gulping it up like a good memester. Did you even read the OP? You're the only one who didn't get it. Also fyi not a macfriend.
>>
>>50791841
I found a bug the other day and fixed it.
>>
>>50791969
>My question was whether /g/ memesters actually modified the source code of the software
No it wasn't.
>>50791841
>But you /g/ memesters actually look at the source code of whatever you're installing?
You asked if anyone LOOKED at the source code. Not that you've realized they do, you changed it to "well ok, but do you CHANGE it?"
>>
>>50792010
Wow, thanks for telling me what I actually asked. Everyone who actually got my question please go away, you got it all wrong.
>But you /g/ memesters actually look at the source code of whatever you're installing? Do you modify it?
>you _/g/ memesters_ actually look...
I asked if /g/ memesters looked at the code. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people actually using FOSS like it's intended.

>>50791989
cool, what software?
>>50791899
what did you modify?
>>
>>50792069
Good grief, you're retarded.
>I asked if /g/ memesters looked at the code.
In one post. But then we arrive at
>>50791969
>My question was whether /g/ memesters actually modified
Looking at code is different from modifying it. If this isn't obvious you have no clue what FOSS means.

> Everyone who actually got my question
You didn't get your own question.
>>
>>50791841
Even if you dont, having the source viewable to anyone guarantees that any dubious shit is caught
>>
>>50791927
> a spoonful of autism makes the linux go round, the linux go round
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.