[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sound Cards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: soundcard.jpg (150 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
soundcard.jpg
150 KB, 1024x768
Are sound cards a meme? If not are should they only be used by professionals that are editing sound, or can they give benefits to plebeians who just want their voices to sound nice over VOIP. Also what brand sound card is the best to buy
>>
>>50787639
Yes if your a professional, or have some nice headphones

No certain brand is the best
>>
>>50787639
I bought the Asus Xonar Essence and it's great for music and the software is functional. My regret is that it picks up interference from my graphics card while it's under load.

TL;DR Get an external DAC
>>
>>50787659
OK I get this sound loop sometimes and only a restart can stop it. Could be its also??
>>
I'm moving from Realtek HD to Bang & Olufsen.

Is it better?
>>
>>50787658
External dac+amp works just as well but without wasting a pcie slot.
>>
Check what sound card is in your mobo, it might be a decent one that is onboard. If that isn't the case you should check up on what you actually need. For personal play music uses pretty much any mid-tier sound card will do. If you have headphones that require a lot of power then you might need a DAC. Since you are asking I assume you are in the personal "I only play music and play games" group, so any mid-tier sound card will do. Brand doesn't matter.
>>
>>50787639
>Are sound cards a meme?
Depends how rubbish your onboard is. I bought a ASUS Xonar off my mate because he stopped using it because my onboard chip sounds like rubbish with headphones.
>>
I got the cheapest xonar whatever because the sound card on my motherboard has some grounding issue and picks up static. Otherwise pointless.
>>
File: linux_haters_8_pre.jpg (280 KB, 2841x654) Image search: [Google]
linux_haters_8_pre.jpg
280 KB, 2841x654
>>50787639
By now the onboard sound card is good enough for everyday use.
When you're a professional, what you're looking for aren't soundcards but DACs and ADCs with specific input ports (XLR with 48V DC for example) that have ASIO/JACK drivers.
>>
>>50788391
Is DAC an option if I don't have spdif or whatever the light thing is called on my mobo?
>>
>>50787639
Yes, they're a meme. Just get a USB audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or some external DAC+amp for your headphones and use a USB microphone.
>>
>>50787639
Mostly, I did it because I wanted dolby 7.1 headsets, its not as good as true 7.1 but its actually great anyways.
>>
>>50788442
Not OP but I currently have a Focusrite Saffire Pro40

:^)
>>
Stated that I only listen to music, have a stereo amp and headphones worth around 150 EUR and an on bird which isn't bad: should I invest in a soundcard or a DAC and what would you recommend a semi poorfag/cheapfag?
>>
>>50787639
internal cards are a meme but external interfaces are much better and offer way better connectivity
>>
>>50788543
You are retarded, you don't need an overpriced, laggy usb mic with the Scarlet. You just buy a good mic and connect it to the interface. That way you get better quality and very low latency.
>>
>>50788560
>on bird
it truly is a doggie dog world
>>
>>50788728
Ment to be onboard but autocorrect ducks balls
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.