[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: dolphin.png (305 KB, 674x515) Image search: [Google]
dolphin.png
305 KB, 674x515
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
File: IMAG0480.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0480.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
Laptop turns fan on and probably other components but the screen never lights up and never boots to bios. Is my cpu fucked fan on and probably other components but the screen never lights up and never boots to bios. Is my cpu fucked
>>
    STATUS="$(mpc status)"
echo "$STATUS" | grep -q 'playing' &>/dev/null
if [ $? == 0 ]; then
echo -n ''
fi
echo "$STATUS" | grep -q 'stopped' &>/dev/null
if [ $? == 0 ]; then
echo -n ''
fi
echo "$STATUS" | grep -q 'paused' &>/dev/null
if [ $? == 0 ]; then
echo -n ''
fi

I fucking suck with Bash. Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do here? This just seems stupid.
>>
>>52703554
Any beeps?
>>
Sub $100 graphics card recommendation please
I don't really play games but I do graphics development.

I kind of want to play Street Fighter V but I don't care if there aren't any sub $100 cards that can play it.
>>
File: 1450283974349.jpg (48 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
1450283974349.jpg
48 KB, 500x346
Can a ramstick still be bad despite passing memtest? I pinpointed a boot loop to a ramstick (it snaps out of the loop after a few tries), but for some reason it passes the memtest.
>>
How useful is DKIM for my email server?

If I sent email to a server without DKIM implemented, will they get problems decrypting it or something?

Duplicate reply from last thread.
>>
what virtual machine software does /g/ use?
I'd like to be able to run windows with performance/compatibility in mind
>>
I mistakenly stretched out a thermal pad on my video card. Is that likely to cause any major heat issues with the VRM? Should the thermal pad be replaced?
>>
>>52703935
KVM.
>>
Can lower resolutions cause the cpu to bottleneck the gpu?
>>
Okay here it is, on my desktop when I right click, and click on amd catalyst control center, nothing happens, just nothing at all
>>
File: kg5230-1.jpg (197 KB, 550x664) Image search: [Google]
kg5230-1.jpg
197 KB, 550x664
If I hook my speakers into the 'To Speakers' output of a subwoofer and set the crossover to ~65 hz, will that filter frequencies 65 hz and below from being played through the speakers?
>>
Should I upgrade my CPU from an I3-4150 to an i5-6500?
Or should I upgrade my GPU from the 750 Ti to something like the 950/960?
>>
>>52704071
>CPU upgrade
take a better Haswell CPU, except if you wanna grab new RAM along with a new mobo and shit
>new GPU
NVIDIA Maxwell is shit except for the 980Ti. Grab a R9 380 instead.
>>
File: 1454138354501.jpg (922 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454138354501.jpg
922 KB, 1920x1080
Can someone spoonfeed me for a bit, I would like to know how I can fall for the ricing meme. Is there a guide on how to get something like this, the one in InstallGentoo doesn't really help me.
>>
>>52704112
Thank you Anon.
>>
>>52704114

Check out the general over in /wg/
>>
File: steve.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
steve.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>52704187
no problem senpai
>>
Where is /g/desktop getting the CLI VU meters?
>>
>>52703518
I'm trying to figure out if building a gaming pc will cost less money in the long run as opposed to buying an xboxone or ps4.

Building a pc could cost over $1000 if I want to do it right. Where buying a console costs closer to $400

However, PC games sell cheaper and there are frequent sales on steam that cut the cost on these games.

Here's the question. what happens when it's time to upgrade again? I either buy a new console for $400-$500 or I upgrade my pc. In addition to buying more RAM, what should I expect to pay for upgrading my gaming PC to handle next gen spec'd games? will it cost more or less than just buying a new console?
>>
What is the best cleaner app for android?
>>
File: omnom.gif (2 MB, 454x313) Image search: [Google]
omnom.gif
2 MB, 454x313
>>52704361
People with a Core 2 Quad and a DX11-capable GPU are fine with games nowadays.
Core 2 Quads were out in 2007.
First DX11 cards were out in 2010 (NVIDIA "Thermi" GTX400 series / AMD Radeon HD 5000 series)
Saying that two sticks of 2GB DDR2 are priced 20$ each, it makes 40$ for a 4GB RAM upgrade, which is still less than an AAA title on a "new-gen" console.
>>
Is there a site where I can compare a fuck load of video cards all against each other
>>
>>52704361
You can easily built a PC for $400 that is faster than a console.
>>
There's a German textbook to learn Java. it's called "Java ist auch eine Insel", meaning "Java is also an island".
I don't really get this title. Like, I know Java is an island in Indonesia. But why would you name a book that?
Might as well write a book for LISP and call it "LISP is also a speech impediment",
or "A Python is also a snake",
or "C is also a letter"
So.. wtf?
>>
Do those cheap chromebooks NEED to be connected to the internet to be of any use? I'd like to get one as an alternative to a tablet to just watch movies in bed or on the train, but I don't know much about the os.
>>
Whats a good mobo to pair with a 4590
>>
/g/ please help me.
Yesterday I did my first computer upgrade. I replaced 2x2gbRam sticks with 1 8gb stick and now my games and programs are crashing.

the rams i replaced were both DDR3 and the 8gb was also DDR3. Ive been reading information online and ive read it could be that the ram timing is off or to change an option in BIOS to enable the "flexibility option"

I can see the ram is improving speed but most programs eventually crash now. I don't want to tweak anything for fear of breaking it.

plz /g/ gods, i will rub your neck beards for good luck.
>>
File: cantpostwithoutimage.png (3 KB, 303x46) Image search: [Google]
cantpostwithoutimage.png
3 KB, 303x46
Anyone else with this problem?
>>
>>52704700
reset CMOS, also
>one 8GB stick
>not dual channel
you fucked up
>>
/g/

My video card's fan is rattling like crazy. I cleaned it up but its still loud as hell.

How do I go about replacing the fan? My card is no longer under warranty (Nvidia GT 440)
>>
>>52704662
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H
>>
>>52704640
I haven't used one myself. But as far as i know, the operating system is basically just Google Chrome. So I would say it's useless unless you're connected to the internet.
Maybe check out some Youtube videos of people using a Chromebook.
If it's just about the price, you can always consider getting a cheap Thinkpad from Ebay too :^)
>>
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/23-iiyama-prolite-xu2390hs-b1-monitor-ips-panel-1920x1080-5ms-250cd-m-brightness-d-sub-dvi-hdmi-blac

Is there anything obviously wrong with this? I'm looking to buy 2 for a new dual-monitor setup.
>>
what are some some good desktop speakers?

i have a brand new build and want to get rid of my old bulky speakers as they're starting to make a buzzing noise while idle. i have been shopping around a bit online but i have no idea what's good.
>>
>>52704725
so if i buy another one it should even it self out?
>>
The other day there was an update for CSGO, when I tried updating my game a message kept popping up saying "disk write error" and would not let me update the game or play it, I tried deleting all local content and then downloading the game again but it just kept happening, same thing when I try downloading tf2. I tried checking my hard drive for error like the steam help page said but that didn't work either as there were no errors, please help.
>>
how's my build?

this is the first PC i built from the ground up.

it's already done and it seems to work fine.

i didn't fuck up anywhere did i?
>>
>>52704789
I'm tempted almost, but I'm just looking for something to watch videos and read comics, so I'm not sure a thinkpad is the best for that. Woudln't thinkpads have worse battery life? With that also comes that I can't seem to find them in my country at the prices listed by /tpg/ and that I don't really know much about hardware. I put together my pc and that's about the extent of my knowledge, swapping out parts in a laptop seems like something that could go wrong fast.
>>
File: build.jpg (86 KB, 692x582) Image search: [Google]
build.jpg
86 KB, 692x582
>>52704883
forgot image
>>
How do I get paid Android apps for free?

I don't imagine that .apk files will show up anywhere other than the file explorer if I download them and put them on my SD Card.
>>
>>52704700

Reset CMOS. Single channel memory should work just fine
>>
>>52704899

Looks OK. I'd favor a 380 over a 960 though.
>>
>>52705011
This
>>
>>52704926
You side load cracked APKs that you find. If you browse to an APK and open it on Android it should generally ask you if you want to install it.
>>
>>52703599
No ssd beeps, but ssd works. I took the memory out and turned it on and it started repeatedly beeping
>>
>>52704832
Do a memtest first. I'm pretty sure that the fact it is currently single channel isn't a problem but buying a single stick was just a dumb move.
>>
What is the best Chrome extension for 4chan?
>>
I have 2 disc drives, ones internal and broken, ones external. How can I make the external one the first disc drive on my computer.

>>52705311
appchan x
>>
>>52705188

Any advice on reputable places to find .apk's?

I've already changed settings to allow unauthorised apps when I put the Amazon store on the phone.
>>
Is it possible to up the saturation on xubuntu without amd cataclyst?
>>
So, LibreJS stopped working. Everything is whitelisted no matter how the whitelist is set up. Even if completely empty, everything is still regarded as whitelisted.
How the fuck do I fix this?
I tried to remove the add-on and restart the browser, install it again. I removed the whitelist files in the profile. Nothing changed.
I'm on Firefox Nightly 46.a02 and LibreJS is on the version 6.10-1-let-fixed but 6.10 from gnu.org didn't want to work either.
>>
File: file.png (92 KB, 1024x728) Image search: [Google]
file.png
92 KB, 1024x728
Why do my benchmark numbers become like that?
What is Over Provisioning and how does it work?
>>
>>52705495
are you running this in a VM using disk cacheing?
>>
>>52705518
No, it's my OS drive.
>>
Is the captcha really fucked up for anyone else today? Like it takes forever to load and then i get three captchas in a row and have to copy that one code every other post and it takes like another 30 seconds until it's checked and confirmed the captcha input so that it lets the post through
>>
File: 20160130_185822.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160130_185822.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Can my lcd be fixed?
>>
overclocking a 4670k, voltage at 1.22 already gives 90C instantly.

Why could this be? I've read other people using 1.25v and get 60C.

using a nh-d14 now, already reseated it.
>>
>>52705495
>samsung

hahahahahahhahahahahaahahah
>>
File: aj.jpg (97 KB, 702x936) Image search: [Google]
aj.jpg
97 KB, 702x936
Can any python programmers recommend me a good book for learning the language
>>
Is a 1024x600 screen good enough for a 7 inch tablet?
>>
What exactly is an "Unregistered HyperCam 2" and why do I see it on all old videos?
>>
>>52705768
some idiots didn't know how to record the screen so they used a trial version of hypercam which, when not having bought it, put the text on top and limits recording length.
>>
Firefox "This connection is untrusted" bug or they messing with kat.cr again?
>>
>>52705621
Are you mentally retarded?
>>
File: tom-sodoge.jpg (2 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
tom-sodoge.jpg
2 MB, 5184x3456
Do i learn Ruby or C for a first language?
I already know wnough to make a text based adventure in both and I want to understand one language verry well so that i can center my future learning around that base.

I feel as if C is the better choice for this but at the same time, with ruby on rails I could get a job more easily.

Or do i just learn lisp and become /cyb/?
>>
>>52706109
Yes i do know that C != c++ and that ruby != rails.
>>
will this adapter

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-Display-Port-Male-to-DVI-SL-Adapter-P-N-752660-001-/221986388192?hash=item33af6b78e0:g:0G4AAOSw7hRWPnHp)

work with dvi-d dual link
>>
Are there any cheap as shit android phones, with a microsd slot, able to browse the internet and play music without being a laggy piece of shit? Also would like decent operatibility with GNU/Linux which I imagine is a given as they basically share a kernel. I don't need a super expensive facebook machine just a cheap piece of shit that does the job without being lagdroid. I don't know much about phones so this might be a bit retarded.
>>
>>52706332
check out some old moto phones
>>
>>52706332

Moto G

Had mine a year, great phone.
>>
File: me and ur gf.jpg (592 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
me and ur gf.jpg
592 KB, 1920x1080
In how much time can I learn all this stuff so I could apply for a junior position? Is 26 days enough?

PhP (Yii framework)
JavaSrcipt/jQuery
MySQL
HTML5
CSS3
>>
Does ubuntu need codex packs like windows does to watch anime?
If yes, what do I get? Never had to use linux much, just using it now until I can afford a new computer.
Googling "anime on linux" gives me a bunch of shit about how vlc isn't that bad, "it works for me :D" and that stuff.
>>
>>52705605
No
Most likely you have some consumer grade display which would cost more to fix than to buy a new one, and you'd probably end up fucking more pixels.
>>
>>52706466
if you already know programming yes
>>
Im using a samsung 256gb ssd for my os and have photoshop installed on it as well. i also have a 1 TB hhd to store all my files/gaymes/etc.

i want to minimize write/reading on it to make sure it lasts as long as possible so im trying to use my hhd for scratch files from photoshop.

do i have to fully dedicate the whole 1 TB hd as a "Scratch DIsk" which would be stupid, or is there a way to use it for storage and as a scratch disk?

or do i just have to keep writing scratch files onto my ssd and how heavily will this effect my ssd over time??
>>
>>52706662
I-I don't...
>>
>>52706601

VLC on GNU + Linux typically does not require any codec packs. The codecs supported depend on the settings with which VLC was compiled; on systems with binary packages, such as Ubuntu GNU + Linux, support for all codecs is compiled in, along with all other options.
>>
>>52706670
SSD's will last long enough for it to be obsolete by the time it starts getting errors, you have to write around a petabyte of data for it to start degrading
>>
I'm in the market for a portable music player for my car
What do you guys recommend?
A sansa clip?
>>
>>52706682
All I remember from using vlc when I was younger is screen tearing and that shit you see in gifs.
Is vlc better on linux or has it just gotten better in general?
>>
>>52706700
seriously??

it seems the R/W degradation is seriously over-exaggerated then
>>
I want to know the best ssd for like 20 dollars. I'm poor and I want to make my PC boot faster. I'm sure 16gb would do
>>
>>52706720
VLC is the best media player option for GNU + Linux. It is a fully feature-complete, well-working media player. There has been a lot of great work on it in recent years, and furthermore, VLC works extremely well on the GNU + Linux operating system.
>>
File: 522e78f82ae10d6c8f932e0c543bc74d.jpg (575 KB, 1067x1659) Image search: [Google]
522e78f82ae10d6c8f932e0c543bc74d.jpg
575 KB, 1067x1659
For some reason I can't post without also posting an image because it says 'file too large' even though I have nothing selected. Why?
>>
I want to redo the way my hard drive's laid out completely.
I have linux home and root partitions, a storage partition, and a windows 10 partition.
I'd like to move the Windows partition to a separate drive, set up an LVM partition on this drive and move linux into the logical partitions.

Will windows or linux freak out about this? And if so how do I tell them to calm their tits? Would it be better to just nuke everything and do a completely clean install?
>>
What's Vsync?
What's Gysnc?
What's different between them?
Which one is better?
What do they do?
Is a game better with it on or without it?
>>
>>52706881
>Would it be better to just nuke everything and do a completely clean install?
yeap
>>
File: 1454100171054.png (28 KB, 186x208) Image search: [Google]
1454100171054.png
28 KB, 186x208
What's the failure rate difference on Western Digital 1TB and 2TB drives?

Is it better to go with two 1TB drives or a single 2TB drive?
>>
File: asd.jpg (28 KB, 795x130) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
28 KB, 795x130
How do I improve signal quality?
>>
>>52706985
That mostly depends on the specific drives, but in general larger has higher failure rate.
>Is it better to go with two 1TB drives or a single 2TB drive?
That depends on what you're using the drive(s) for
Having two drives running would be a waste of power when you only need one, but would be less problematic if you space out your data so if one fails it's not a total loss.
>>
File: Quodlibet_logo.svg.png (47 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Quodlibet_logo.svg.png
47 KB, 1024x1024
I'm storing music on my home server which I access using NFS when I'm at home and SSHFS when I'm out.
Currently, I'm using Quod Libet for playback and generating libraries. Of course, the library is stored locally and there's a lot of traffic when refreshing the library whenever I'm adding new songs (which is particularly annoying when connected via WAN).
My first idea would be to try running an instance of Quod Libet on the server, let that handle the generation and refreshing of libraries and have the local clients use that library. This seems a bit roundabout though, so my question is if there's music software that is made for the purpose of accessing music on a remote server.
>>
>>52706954
found answers to all of these with a simple google search
>>
>>52706954
The only thing they really have in common is the name.
VSync more or less tells your GPU to take a break if it finishes early.
G-Sync is an nvidia technology that can only be used with specific (overpriced) monitors. What G-Sync does make your monitor only refresh when a new frame is ready.
Overall my own opinion is that G-Sync isn't worth it.
Games will look better (no tearing) with either. With G-Sync there will also be less stuttering in theory.
>>
Can i make my passwords more secure like this?

Let's say my password consists of letters, numbers and special characters and is 16 characters long.

Can i just add 1234567890 at the end of it to increase the length of my password or will it become easier to bruteforce?

example, which one is easier to bruteforce:

k%13cSe81hX!!Xko

or

k%13cSe81hX!!Xko1234567890

It should be the latter one because it's 26 characters long right?
>>
File: drives.png (14 KB, 1074x256) Image search: [Google]
drives.png
14 KB, 1074x256
>>52707078
Basically, C: is my SSD with OS and programs, F: is documents and videos that aren't movies, G: is just movies, H: is games.

I was thinking of moving my TV shows + anime onto a new drive. Obviously more space is futureproofing myself, but it'd be annoying if the drive failed (it's just easily obtainable media though, just downloading it all again is a pain)
>>
File: Ketchup.gif (3 MB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
Ketchup.gif
3 MB, 360x240
Is any form of gaming on a Virtual Machine impossible? I have Win XP running on Virtual Box because I'm trying to play an older disc based PC game that won't run on Win 10, but when I try to start the application I get "Fatal Error: Could not create the 3d device". Anyone know of a way around this?
>>
I'm unable to connect to freenode irc server using weechat client.

I've tried to configure sasl, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas what is wrong with it?

http://pastebin.com/raw/wLmraF1f
>>
>>52707202
It's possible. What you want to do is give the VM direct access to a physical piece of hardware (GPU in this case)
Look up IOMMU, VT-d and hardware passthrough.
>>
>>52707172
If it's just storage, not constant use, you might as well go for the big one.
I think the real problem here is you fucking hoarding all that shit. They better not be constantly running.
>>
>>52706954
V-Sync introduces input lag. What you see and what you feel won't be 1:1 the same. I recommend leaving it off. G-Sync is supposed to have all the graphical benefits of V-Sync without the input lag.
>>
Is a MacBook Pro worth the money?

I'd be using it for video editing for work and school
>>
>>52707108
>>52707315
Based Anons. Thanks
>>
>>52707303
Only the SSD because of the OS

F: gets the second most use for browsing smug anime girl images to post on 4chan
>>
What does the number after a unix command mean? ex:

fdisk(8)
pkg_create(1)
sys_log(3)

This is something I've ignored because I've never needed the info but it is finally bugging me enough to ask.
>>
>>52706630
>>>52705605
>No
>Most likely you have some consumer grade display which would cost more to fix than to buy a new one, and you'd probably end up fucking more pixels.

It's a w1907 display
>>
File: MBSAM09001.jpg (90 KB, 640x329) Image search: [Google]
MBSAM09001.jpg
90 KB, 640x329
I was thinking about using my old Desktop-pc again for everyday use and install Linux on my laptop. But I think the Mainboard is dead, since it won't power on anymore. No sign of life, no fans starting, not even the PSU fan starting. But through connecting the pins of the 24-pin connector I can make the PSU work, so I'm guessing it's the Board.
Now I wonder, whether to spend some bucks on a LGA775 MoBo (maybe buying used stuff from ebay?) + a graphics card.
The other option would be to buy a new Build for about 500€ (i3 6100, 16gb ram, gtx 750, 128gb SSD). But I don't know whether that is overkill.
90% of the time I use my laptop to shitpost, watch netflix or porn. Rest is gaymen but mostly older stuff like Stalker or CS:GO.

Old Parts are:
>Intel C2Duo Q8200
>2x 2gb DDR2 Ram @667MHz CL4
>2x Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640gb 7200rpm
>PSU 500W
>PCI wlan card that I'd like to use
>MoBo is pic related

What's your opinion? Buy LGA775 MoBo + suitable graphics card or fuck the old shit and start a new era?
>>
File: painting_with.jpg (42 KB, 600x320) Image search: [Google]
painting_with.jpg
42 KB, 600x320
How do I add album art to files?

Using ubuntu 14.04
>>
>>52707253
I went though my bios and made sure that all the virtual settings were enabled. Not sure why it's still not working. I'll check out the hardware passthrough tho, thank you.
>>
File: 1426299825184.jpg (69 KB, 625x576) Image search: [Google]
1426299825184.jpg
69 KB, 625x576
My IP is 143.2.3.4. I SSH into a machine with an IP of 236.2.3.4, I then SSH into another machine with the IP of 8.2.3.9.

If I then ping 4chan.com what IP does 4chan see the ping coming from?
>>
why is it the only reasons people tell me not to get a note 5 seem to all be related to "hurr removable battery" or " hurr no sd card" what if i just dont give a toss about either?
>>
>>52707356
No. If your job required it they would provide it, and you dont need it for school.

If you want it just to show off, then yes its a good investment.
>>
>>52707870
stop ban evading faggot
>>
>>52707870
8.2.3.9 because thats the IP requesting the data
>>
>>52707601
I'd say you have to decide if you really are OK with only playing old games or reducing settings on newer ones. If you really are I'd say get a new mobo that supports ddr3 and your old processor. Then get your video card and stuff.

>>52707870
>>
File: tfw.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
tfw.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>>52707892
Then get a note 5.
>>52707911
Im not ban evading I just dont understand how SSH works on the network side. Please answer the question.
I can't find this out no mater how much I google.
>>
>>52704050
Yes
>>
>>52707962
SSHing is kinda just like remote controlling the PC (like how TeamViewer etc work) but just with cmdline
>>
is it possible to make a multiboot usb that when inserted upon reboot of system will come up with, say, kali linux, tails, and lubuntu
and if I can, can I do it with unetbootin or do I have to use something else?
would this usb be able to also hold other files on it or would it only be set for those distros and not be able to hold other unrelated files?
>>
>>52707962
i plan to i just want to know why everytime i ask thats all people shout about is it because those are the only downsides?
>>
File: 1407965654548.gif (443 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
1407965654548.gif
443 KB, 400x480
>>52707956
thanks anon.

So if I were to SSH into 200 different machines, 1 after another and and then ping 4chan.com, The last machine I SSH'd into would ping, then send the results to the previous machine, and so on and so on all the way back to me?

Or would it just know to skip all of them and go back to me directly?
>>
>>52707990
Because no sd card limits you to storage size they choose, which isn't a selling feature, but the limited size sucks because of the apparent high file size associated with higher quality camera pics and videos
Nonremoveable battery means if it gets fucked up you have to get a whole new phone than just a simple battery
If you don't care then stop caring.
>>
>>52707962
When you tell your pc to ssh in to another pc you pipe info from console input to the other pc via tcp/ip and you pipe info from console output of the other pc to your console output via tcp/ip. Might be UDP/IP but the idea is the same. So when you type ping 4chan.org that command gets piped in to the console input of the remote machine. The remote machine interprets it like it would a keyboard. So it executes the command ping 4chan.org. Since the local machine is not interpretting only piping it never executes the command. The remote machine makes up some ping packets and uses it's MAC address and IP address in the packet header since that's what it would do if a keyboard inputted the command locally. The first gateway that packet comes to will replace the MAC address with its own but will leave the IP address untouched.

SSH to a remote machine and then SSH into another just pipes the input and output through two pipes but only the end machine is going to executing anything but a command to SSH in to another machine.
>>
>>52707990
I have 1, can't think of anything to complain about it. But i'm not a phone nut like some of the other people on here.

Its nice.
>>
>>52708036
i guess yes, but the ping would obv suffer.
>>
>>52708087
*i mean the request would pipe along all those SSH's until it gets to your pc
>>
>>52708036
the results of the ping function would be returned through all 200 machines. The only IP 4chan knows to return is the last machine in the chain. So it sends the pong back to that one. The only IP the end machine knows is the one that sshed in to it and 4chan.org. The only IP is...

and you see how it goes.
>>
>>52708110
>pong
oh i laughed too hard at that
>>
>>52708072
>>52708087
>>52708110
Thanks anons. That's pretty amazing.
>>
File: child-raising-hand.jpg (44 KB, 450x672) Image search: [Google]
child-raising-hand.jpg
44 KB, 450x672
Is Linux Mint spyware?
>>
>>52708150
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Look for yourself.
>>
>>52708150
no now fuck off and do your workshit you little shit they dont pay me enough to put up with you brats
>>
I have a $5,000 budget to build a PC. It has to include everything needed including monitor ect. How is this looking?...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4DYRQ7

Also what kind of liquid cooling can I use for those GPU's? Any closed loop that would work for them?
>>
>>52704640
We were required to use them at my high school last year (graduated last year) and they were slow as fuck, though that mightve been the wifi there. Never used them much outside of school because there were conspiracies that the schools were using the webcams and looking at browser history. I would probably get one again and put a different mini distro on it though. I think theres a better linux distro thats just firefox, chrome, and opera.
>>
>>52708130
lol yeah I love the way computer stuff is named. Believe it or not that's what the return packet to a ping is actually called.
>>
>>52707223
any thoughts?
>>
What is the best text editor?
>>
>>52708580
nano. Because it's the only text editor.
Every other "editor" is just nano + a lot of extra non-text editing features.
>>
>>52703518
New to Android. Where do you guys find apk's online? It can't just be the first Google result for "(app name) pro apk" right?
>>
How do I make Foobar do continuous play?
Copied the apparently same settings from my laptop to my rig and it doesn't work.

And the next function doesn't work as well.
>>
>>52707987
blease resbond
>>
>>52708206
Do you have experience with after-market gpu cooling?
It's really not a big deal, just add how ever many noctua 1x0s your case will hold.
And with all that extra dosh you could add another black or just make a NAS.
>>
>>52707987
>>52708746
Yes, and it's rather trivial. You just treat the USB device like any regular old drive.
Install the distros of your choice. The respective setups should install GRUB on the USB so that, when you boot from it, you can select the distros installed on it.
Add any other partition on free space and you can store stuff on there too.
>>
File: 1420207158076.jpg (55 KB, 800x624) Image search: [Google]
1420207158076.jpg
55 KB, 800x624
What's the best low profile video card now?

I got a Radeon 5570 back in 2010, and I don't want to use it when I make a new HTPC.

Or is Steam in home streaming good now?
>>
>>52709211
a htpc should be fine with an integrated gpu, no need for a dedicated.
>>
I'm starting uni with a cybersecurity major and need help deciding on a laptop good enough for it.
>>
need a 43" tv and it has to be from walmart. which are the best brands they carry?
>>
Need some help setting up an Xbone controller on PC. Everytime I plug in it with the micro USB that came with it it says "drivers installing" for like 3 seconds then says "drivers failed to install" or whatever. No idea what to do, any help would be nice. Thanks.
>>
Can you still use Amazon Underground apps even after uninstalling the shitty malware used to download them?
>>
Hey guys how can I get started making hacks/cheats for games like ARMA 2/3? I always found it fun to fuck around in those games and have fun with people giving them money and guns and shit. I know I will need to learn some programming language, lots of people say C++. But what specific things I need to learn to start making my own cheats and injectors and menus and shit?
>>
Sometimes when I click the middle button on my mouse to open in a new tab it'll load the same tab twice, what can I do about this? New mouse?
>>
What should I have for dinner tonight?
>>
>>52709705
Crab Legs
>>
File: IMG_0172.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0172.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Can I run a CHKDSKfrom a USB liveboot? My windows 7 laptop can't go into hibernate anymore and since the battery life sucks now it's a real hassle.

Whenever I try to run a CHKDSK it automatically cancels. I found the hotfix for it from Microsoft and installed it but nothing happened.There's a system restore point from a few days before it started screwing up but the restore won't work unless CHKDSK is run...which auto-cancels.

CHKDSK works on the diagnostics in my BIOS but the boot drive isn't an option. I've already done the whole powercfg thing and nothing worked out either.

At this point I'm scratching my head.
>>
>>52709705
you're wife's son's dick
>>
>>52704371
CC
>>
>>52706716
Anyone?
>>
>>52706109
T b h, I'd learn Python as a first lang, but in your case, I'd go with C.
>>
>>52707156
Yeah.

More things to compute = harder it is to crack.
>>
>>52708871
alright so If I download one distro and put the contents into a folder and download another and put it in another folder, will the two fuck up or will there be two separate distros selectable upon boot.
sorry for being so dumb and careful

tldr; will I be able to put these in separate folders with no fuck ups.
>>
>>52709766
They say that trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insanity, but it over a few more times worked.
>>
What does a sys admin even do? I study CS but a lot of stuff is so theoretical that I don't know what an actual sys admin even does. The only things my degree prepare me for are Software Engineering and Research/theory.
Doesn't have to be a specific sys admin. Can be anything like Linux admin or database admin etc.
>>
File: GrossPoshGallinule[1].webm (943 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GrossPoshGallinule[1].webm
943 KB, 1920x1080
What is wrong with my screen guys? Is it likely the motherboard-to-screen cable?
>>
how can you add an iso to your (windows 7 boot manager) boot order? i tired using easybcd but it crashes on start (probably because im using uefi)
>>
Where can I find the changelog for the new windows 10 update?
>>
Can one make a site with a proper hosting and domain, and it not being linked with you (unless a judge orders to investigate or whatever)?

Not looking to do anything illegal, but rather make an erotica site for a certain taboo that would provide a service I'd really like to use, but to my knowledge doesn't exist. But I don't want people to be able to link it with me in case it may affect my future in some way because of the theme.
>>
>>52704610
German humor, I'd assume. Studied the language for years, never got their humor.
>>
what is the
>t.
meme
>>
>>52711345
/int/ finnish thing for "signed".
>>
>>52704361
Depends on what you want to play desu.
I have both. PS4 for fightan gaems and a PC for Fightcade, CSGO and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
>>
>>52711742
great, now i need to forget something
>>
>>52710333
Install them on the drive like you would install any other distro, what's wrong with you?
>>
Ok, I've got like a lit of 40k files to download, is there anyway to route the download to a a specific folder that has similarities with the filname? Like, filename example1.jpg goes to a folder called example1, and filename example2 goes to example2, and so on.
>>
I need a laptop that will let me do digital design since Dell fucked me by completely abandoned support for my XPS 17 after three years of owning it. A 15-17 inch is what I prefer. I really have a bad taste in my mouth for Dell now. I really want to get a laptop that keeps value and support over time, like if I needed a battery or updated drivers a few years after owning It I know they exist.

What laptop should I get? I know I could get a last gen mbp easily around $1,000. Pricy, but it is in my ballpark and does what I want. Thoughts?
>>
>>52711828
sorry desu i am mentally retarded and enjoy being bottle fed, anyways I found a video which helped
>>
File: KnWhyWO.jpg (68 KB, 618x720) Image search: [Google]
KnWhyWO.jpg
68 KB, 618x720
Got a Fiio E10 (not E10k) and I'm trying to set it up on Linux but I can't get it to work properly. Everything I find in the internet is "The E10k works ootb XD" but the fucking E10 doesn't and stupid fucking google only shows results for the E10.
>>
Where do you guys get your computer desks at.

I'm trying to find a good desk. Mine is shitty.
>>
File: 1375718707264.jpg (48 KB, 515x515) Image search: [Google]
1375718707264.jpg
48 KB, 515x515
What piece of hardware decides what version of displayport is being used?

Is the connector on the GPU the part that decides it, meaning that if you have a DP 1.1 GPU for example you can never ever get the full benefits of a monitor marketed with DP 1.2 features?

Or is it the other way around? Are all GPU displayports exactly the same, with the big features being handled by the monitor, so even an older GPU, as long as it has DP, can take advantage of those fancy features?

Or is it both? Do both the GPU and the monitor have to be built specifically with DP 1.3 technology in order to take advantage of it?

Also where does one generally find out which version of DP the specific device is using? I tried looking it up and it's the most frustrating thing ever. Absolutely no one anywhere ever will straight up say "this monitor/card uses DP 1.2a/1.3/etc" on any spec sheets.

Please help.
>>
Can an underpowered PSU cause problems in compilation?

I know I have enough RAM and a decent CPU, but can't manage to compile Pale Meme without a compiler segfault or other error.
>>
I spilled soda on my das keyboard and now everything is mushy, what do I do? rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush?
>>
>>52712395
It's the DP controller in the GPU. I think it's more of a maximum bandwidth limitation vs what the monitor is asking for (ie 4k)

>Are all GPU displayports exactly the same
No they vary by version, which you even posted

>so even an older GPU, as long as it has DP, can take advantage of those fancy features?
If it's also 1.2 then yes

>Also where does one generally find out which version of DP the specific device is using? I tried looking it up and it's the most frustrating thing ever. Absolutely no one anywhere ever will straight up say "this monitor/card uses DP 1.2a/1.3/etc" on any spec sheets.
From manuals is the only real place. Or you could look at the year the card was designed, and make your own educated guess based on what DP variant was out at that time
>>
>>52712439
It might cause CPU failure or RAM failure, from lack of power, but that usually results in a power failure
>>
>>52712457
Throw it out and buy a new one. Sugars not coming out
>>
>>52703894
dkim seems like an ssl alternative.
i'd not mess with it.
>>
>>52712300
I scouted ebay for a proper office desk. Every now and then, you might see an office getting rid of their old shit and you can get office furniture for a bargain.
>>
can anyone recommend a good dark theme for xubuntu?
>>
>>52706716
use an old smartphone

you wont be wasting your money on anything.
so you wont have to worry if someone jacks it.
you can customize it.
bluetooth, wifi, and earjack ready.
might be able to upgrade space depending on whether or not your phone has an sd slot.
extra camera, which if you dock it right on your dash, can turn into a car cam as well. (for accidents)
you can always tether the internet from your primary phone if you need to.

dont have an old smartphone?
you can probably find a decent one on ebay for well under what you would pay for an ipod/whatever
>>
>>52712300
im at a point where making one would be better.
>>
>>52709766
why dont you just do a clean reinstall of windows?
>>
>>52712735
Because it's a pain in the ass? Also I wasn't sure if my programs on my second drive would be fine.

I am due for a format though, it's been a long time.
>>
File: gillian_jacobs_community_lead.jpg (57 KB, 364x364) Image search: [Google]
gillian_jacobs_community_lead.jpg
57 KB, 364x364
So I'm going to be installing Debian onto my x230. But lets say for some reason I wanted to go back to win7 or to dualboot it. How would I go doing that seeing as it came with no serial key?
>>
>>52712844
install debian, then using debian install grub

windows replaces the MBR so it should always be installed first, not a problem for you though
>>
How do I learn to design actual OO programs?
I've read a C++ book, I think I've gotten used to the language, but whenever I try to design my classes they just doesn't seem right, as if the whole concept of OO was just getting in my way.
>>
Is there any way to "redirect" the execution of a program in Windows? Let's say that every time a program executes (regardless of parent process), this happens
"c:\program.exe"
but instead I want it to execute
"c:\program 2.exe" "c:\program.exe"

Is there any simple way in Windows to achieve what I want? To clarify again, I want a solution so that this happens regardless of how the process is started, so simply using a shortcut is not an option.
>>
>>52712844
if windows 7 came installed on the laptop you can activate it off the slp activation key on the motherboard without the serial key check here for instructions

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/57880-Multi-OEM-Project
>>
do you niggers even google your question first?

seriously, more than half of the these answers can be found by a simple web search.

either you morons think the internet is only/mostly 4chan or you're all autistic as fuck.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
I'm done using this piece of crap, after 6 month's it can't even hold a connection unless your less than 5 feet from the router and still only gives me a 8mbps speed even though I pay for 150mbps. It's not the modem either because I get the full speed while directly connected to it and troubleshot it for hours while on the line with their representatives.

I got the protection plan on it and am receiving a full $139.99 refund, please /g/ tell me what router should I get for less than $200?

I've been looking at this, should I or is there something better?

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454208528&sr=1-2&keywords=netgear
>>
>>52713002
>using botnet search engine
You might as well just give NSA a phone call and ask them directly.
>>
>>52713013
do you live in a city or close where a lot of people have their own wifi? the signal may suck due to the wave signals being overcrowded.
>>
>>52713013
get a higher frequency router
>>
>>52713002
Some of us ask questions here specifically because it's 4chan, even if they could have been googled
>>
File: DSC_0346.jpg (3 MB, 2160x3840) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0346.jpg
3 MB, 2160x3840
>>52713057
Not at all, I live in a suburban, quiet area in New Mexico, have my own home and I only get 3 other peoples wi-fi signals showing up on my computer.

I'm standing in my master bed room right now and this is where my router is located. My laptop straight ahead can't even hold a connection to it and I had to resort to using my hotspot. PS4, 360, PS3 also struggle to connect to the router and have had speeds from 30kbps to 60kbps. I'm just done with Linksys in general. I'll buy anything right now as long as it will hold a signal.

>>52713066
Any examples of what I should get?
>>
>>52713066
higher frequency signals don't travel as far. i'd stick with a 2.4ghz router if you want the signal to travel as far as possible and don't have a cordless phone or something that will interfere with it
>>
>>52709211
>>52709253
I probably should have been a little more clear.

I might want to try gaming on an HTPC. I did it a little in 2010/11 with the 5570, but it was garbage even then.

I tried steam in home streaming about a year ago and it was laggy. Is it still like that, or should I try to find a good low profile video card?
>>
>>52713255
you can get a low profile 970 or the fury nano. should play most games near ultra at 1080p
>>
Anyone know of any good books for learning image processing?
>>
>>52712919
any senpai?
>>
How do i rebind CAPSLOCK to controll and vice versa in linux? Should i use something like xbindkeys or sxhkd?
>>
>>52713292
By low profile I mean half height.

Short is pretty essential too. The case is an Antec ISK-300.
>>
File: autistic.monkeys.2x299.gif (1 MB, 299x299) Image search: [Google]
autistic.monkeys.2x299.gif
1 MB, 299x299
>>52713091
so you are autistic!!!...???!!!!!
>>
>>52713312
I use xmodmap:
http://uw-freelancer.github.io/blog/mapping-control-key-to-caps-lock-in-ubuntu/
>>
>>52713002
As someone who answers a lot of questions in sqt, I just ignore these types of questions.
>>
File: lain000.jpg (493 KB, 1200x1149) Image search: [Google]
lain000.jpg
493 KB, 1200x1149
>>52713372
Thanks anon, have a lain.
>>
>>52713338
4chan is brutal, but honest from time to time
>>
building a computer in the coming weeks but i got a question
should i get the 780 ti or the 970
the 780 ti is a tad more expensive
but since its from the older generation maybe the architecture is slower or something idk
not too great with computers as you can probably tell
>>
>>52713426
which one can you afford?
which one is better?
would you like me to order that for you?
i need your info & cc#
>>
>>52713466
i thought /g/ was supposed to be nice
>>
Looking to get an aftermarket CPU cooler. Recommendations?
>>
>>52713757
go liquid, just because. Get whatever is on sale. I got a corsair h100i GTX for $80 before bblack friday
>>
>>52713426
someone answer pls
>>
Anyone have some examples of apple "innovating" and saying they did something first, when they were not the first at all to do it?
>>
>>52713851
Everything they did falls into that category.
Apple's business model is, and has been for a long time, making already available technology hip and accessible.
>>
>>52713851
NFC
>>
>>52713922
But can you give an exact example of something they said on their site they made first, and didn't.

>>52713952
Can you link to where they say that?
>>
Why are porn threads posted here so often lately? I see them in the catalog often now. Sometimes, even more than one is on here at the same time.
>>
Can anyone comment on how this monitor is?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106003

I missed the sale a couple days ago but I can still pick it up on amazon for $150. 4ms, IPS, speakers for that price seems pretty great. Can't tell if it's glossy or matte, though.
>>
>>52713959
Not exactly the commercial I remember but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58gAy85dwf0
>>
That's not saying they're the first though.
>>
>>52714071
They never say they were the first. They rename things like NFC to whatever they want like Apple Pay so the apple fans don't know that the features were available elsewhere many years prior. That's how they fool people
>>
>>52714126
But they do make it seem like they made them, saying something like "innovated" in a keynote.
>>
I am trying to stop shit wars at work. I have shitty software and shitty infrastructure. How do I learn to debug (decompile) a program enough to say who fucked up.
>>
Can some post something in ROT without telling me the value?
>>
File: asdfasdfasdf.png (42 KB, 1117x193) Image search: [Google]
asdfasdfasdf.png
42 KB, 1117x193
>>52703518
How do you remove the white space at the top of the page?
>>
>>52714409
margin:0;padding:0;
>>
>>52714409
html, body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
>>
>>52714425
>>52714440
Wow..... Now I feel like a moron.
>>
do I need a strong power supply for several external hdds I'll have plugged into my pc?
or does the power available for the externals depend on my mother board?
>>
File: snows.jpg (46 KB, 496x688) Image search: [Google]
snows.jpg
46 KB, 496x688
so this may be a stupid question.

I have an Iphone, if I take a picture in HDR, will it send equallly as a normal photo to other phones? or does a phone have to be "sophisticated" enough to receive an HDR picture?
>>
How viable is a GeForce GTX 950 card for 1080p gaming?
>>
So I have a bricked android phone with the stock recovery menu, meaning no flashing options
How do I get clockwork recovery on this thing?
There is not a single goddamn guide on how to do this
>>
>>52714595
isn't it great to have unique problems
>>
File: palememe.png (9 KB, 735x163) Image search: [Google]
palememe.png
9 KB, 735x163
> Palemoon
> No webm9
> Fairly certain I had webm9 a few months ago

How much of the html5 player have you guys gotten enabled in Palemoon and how?
>>
>>52714688
And yes, I was using Palemoon at the time.

I know that apparently MSE is not supported and never will be, but I'm fairly certain I once had at least one of the bottom squares checked.
>>
>>52703518
can you cut up a concrete wall into bricks and re-use them for stuff ? (building stuff)
>>
I know this may be redirected to >>>/v/ but I was wondering if anyone knows how to stop Dolphin from crashing everytime I input, whether it be keyboard or controller. Any Anon know what to do?
>>
can anyone answer this Iphone question of mine

>>52714536
>>
File: 1417652996137.jpg (51 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1417652996137.jpg
51 KB, 600x800
Could I theoretically use a Nokia Lumia 1020 as a dedicated camera for my gym to take videos of form?

Is there a way to just turn off the device's need for a carrier and just run it off wifi?

I know using an actual camera might be smarter, but I'm looking to use apps like Barsense to track bar movement as well as uploading the videos to drop box on the fly.
>>
>>52715057
>Nokia Lumia 1020
>apps
lol

But seriously, yeah it will be fine off the carrier and on wifi only. If it's GSM, you just have to dismiss the sim error and then it will work like normal.

>>52715029
I think with iphones, unless you are sending it to another iphone it automatically converts the picture. Standard MMS quality images are much lower quality than the original most of the time. I know that with any other phone this will be the case but I'm not sure about iphones because I haven't used one since iphone 4.
>>
I have a 27" Korean IPS panel with a pretty decent screen (besides very minor hard to notice defect at top left corner where it's slightly darker on a patch around the size of a fingernail clipping) that I used for a year or two before it died on me. Decided to get a decent brand with an actual warranty to replace it because that kind of bummed me, but is it worth trying to sell the thing? As far as I know the LCD still works just fine, it's just some electronic component that's busted.

If so how much could I reasonably expect to get for it in this state, considering I spent around $300 for it new including international shipping costs?
>>
>>52715141
Ok thank you. I knew it converted videos but was unsure about photos
>>
>>52715057
>>52715141
Oh and to add to this, what you want to do is exactly what the airplane mode does. On all of my nonactive phones, I just turn on airplane mode and then I can manually enable wifi or bluetooth without enabling the cell radio.

>>52715155
Because your original (but possibly working) panel was defective, you probably would not have made more than $20 after seller fees and shipping. Also, I suspect that it would take a long time to move the panel since relatively low demand. I would think of it like this: How much would you pay for a broken monitor with a working but defective panel? Now subtract how much it costs to ship it and that's what you'd make.

How much do good panels of this type go for?
>>
File: AE86.jpg (4 MB, 3438x2302) Image search: [Google]
AE86.jpg
4 MB, 3438x2302
What is the best way to learn front-end web development? How long do you think it would take to go from being a complete beginner to being employable?
>>
Why the FUCK does eBay wait until the end of the month to collect your fees? It's irritating since I often carry a low balance on my Paypal/Bank account and have already spent the money I got by the time they come asking for the fees. Why not just deduct it immediately from the listing?
>>
I'm doing C coding.
I have char * argv[] as an argument for main.
How would I check whether an index of an array is filled with a value upon input? (argv[2] != NULL) or something?
>>
>>52704315
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.