[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>some universitys don't even teach C to students until
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: 1452299554383.jpg (189 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1452299554383.jpg
189 KB, 720x960
>some universitys don't even teach C to students until their third year, starting them out on python instead
I guess computer science is just glorified math now.
>>
>>52701439
It's to help get women into tech. Python is easy as all shit. Women have brain handicaps. Do the math.
>>
>>52701501
>Do the math.
Looks like we have fucking Einstein over here blessing us with his presence!
>>
>>52701439
>I guess computer science is just glorified math now.

It always was you dumb faggot. Computer science was always about algorithms and proofs (of hardness, of bounds, of correctness, of performance guarantees). Computers themselves and programming languages are just tools, shit you should be able to learn in high school. You should be able to do computer science with just a pencil and paper. There's so much in "theoretical" computer science out there and it's all so fascinating. Get the fuck out of my discipline and stop plebing it up with your "I wanna be a programmer" shit. Go to community college for that.
>>
>>52701737
spoken like a true angry wannabe CS undergraduate
>>
>>52701439
>starting them out with Python

That way the women stay for bit to fufill the Diversity™ stuff, then they leave when they realize programming isn't just Python.

Either way, the University's ass wont get raped by more quotas.

You should start with Python anyway, but starting C in the THIRD year is dumbest shit I've ever heard.
>>
>>52701737
>buttmad cs major is sad he never chose computer or electrical engineering and now he stuck with code monkey jobs and is surrounded by abus and chin wangs
Is Pajeet a good programmer, my friend?
>>
>>52701753
>but starting C in the THIRD year is dumbest shit I've ever heard
Yep, people in my uni start using it for their systems programming class. Needless to say, only like 5% of the people that have had 0% experience with C manage to pass on their first try.
>>
File: 1389005655802.gif (2 MB, 460x340) Image search: [Google]
1389005655802.gif
2 MB, 460x340
>>52701439
>tfw computer engineering student
>start out on C#
could be wor...
>only time I get C is some bullshit assignment
>barely any embedded basics whatsoever
>meanwhile UML is shoved down our throats like diagrams mean everything
godfucking damnit I don't go to university to build windows forms shit and draw diagrams, what the fuck.
>>
>ITT: people who think their 1337 coders for being able to write Fizzbuzz in C while pretty much all AI professors write in Python
>>
>>52701812
also hacking and infosec all revolve around Python
>>
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-6

MIT uses Python in their introductory course.

Daily reminder that computer science /=/ programming.

Learning C /=/ learning about computer science.
>>
>>52701439
informatics are superior to compuuter science in every single way
>>
>>52701439
>tfw, Python and C in first year
EE masterrace
>>
>>52701439
>Seriously guys dogs aren't that impressive.
>>
>>52701799
Geez.

Pretty dumb not to learn a lot about programming and computers before it matters (in school).
>>
>>52701812
C is good for low level I/O, static typing, and manual memory management.
Python is good for high level stuff.
The argument can be made that CS students should learn from the top down rather than the bottom up. Your argument, however, is absolutely retarded. You're making an appeal to authority in a vaguely related field (they both use computers) that makes its programming language choice based on the fact that it's not a requirement that they know how to program properly.
Embarassing that you would imply everyone in here is bad at programming while simultaneously displaying your ignorance. Never come back.
>>
>>52701439
>there are still people on /g/ who think computer science is glorified software engineering/"app making"

sick_animal.png
>>
>>52701439
>glorified math
If you want to glorify math you just call it math. Nothing is more fundamental and important to science
>>
>>52701915
Isnt the natural way to learn from bottom up since thats how programming evolved? But then again we came to the time where everything is much complex and broad so for example many programmers dont need to do memory managment and other low level stuff for their high level programs to work. There is too much information out there and to expect that one human needs to know everything about programming and computers is long lost and impractical .
We cant ask of rally driver or pilot to know the science behind everything thats going on with their machine, they have other stuff to focus on.
>>
>>52701978
Indeed, C does not require knowing everything. As a language, it allows you to program without knowing the instruction set. It allows you to do I/O without knowing how to talk with what you're communicating with. It allows you to manage memory without stack management. As the layers of technology increase, it's important to not lose sight that certain things aren't as low level as they seem.
I would rather have a CS student do a single day of exercises exploring type theory and memory management (I believe I/O is not a large concern in CS) in C than not know how to treat dynamic typing in Python or thinking that their memory is infinite when creating objects.
>>
File: toplel.png (192 KB, 501x445) Image search: [Google]
toplel.png
192 KB, 501x445
>>52701737

99% of companies have no use whatsoever for formal design proofs and big O notation is just basically a fancy way of using logs to represent performance.

>Calling this a science

Computer Science is the study of any application of a computing system, that includes electrical engineering solutions (logic gates), networking, and hardware too. Engineers get to study how to implement it, that's all.

Unless you want it to just be a buzz term you have to understand how your science applies to the real world.

If you entire science adds up to just the base 2 mathematical system (which could be replaced for computing) and optimizations/studies of that. It's not really a science then.
>>
my first programming class was c++ and currently i'm taking a higher level c++ and java B^)
>>
>>52702207
Go blog about it faggot
>>
freshman here
we do java and OCaml in the first year
C/C++, assembly, more java, SQL, haskell in the second year
>>
>>52702184
>If you entire science adds up to just the base 2 mathematical system
I've got nothing to say... just... wow
>>
>>52701439
>1st year java
>2nd year java
>3rd year java and c#
>4th year java

yup, my college sucks dick
>>
>>52702257
What univeristy uses ocaml and haskell? Man, I got screwed.
>>
File: Untitled4.png (35 KB, 873x888) Image search: [Google]
Untitled4.png
35 KB, 873x888
I dunno man... I'm pretty 1337
>>
>1st semester, Python
>2st semester, C and A$$sembly
>currently on second year, using C for Operating Systems and Java for OOP
>will be dealing with C++ next semester

I dunno, seems gud
>>
>>52702448
Terrible
>>
File: 1452304755864.png (398 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1452304755864.png
398 KB, 500x500
>>52702448
>misaligned comment
>>
File: mfw.png.avi.exe.so.jpg (69 KB, 600x810) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png.avi.exe.so.jpg
69 KB, 600x810
>>52702448
>>
>>52702452
CE?
>>
>>52702573
With telecommunications, yes.
>>
>>52702486
>>52702498
>>52702503
You're probably just jealous of my one semester of web2py development, scrubs
>>
>>52701439
It was always glorified math. In Euroland, many CS departments are subdepartments of mathematics.
>>
>>52701439
CS was always glorified math.
There are other ways to be code monkey if that is what you wanted.
>>
People who think that learning C first is learning "bottom up" has never taken a systems course and learned just how high up it really is.
>>
>>52702257
Are you doing anything else besides programming?
>>
>>52701439
Isn't CS good if you are into say, reverse engineering?
>>
>>52701439
>glorified math
Just a few days ago, I explained to one of my co-workers, wo studied CS, how cross-multiplication works.
>>
>>52701439
Python is used extensively in astronomy so I guess there's that if you're into astro.
>>
>>52701439
You sound like the kids that fails the introductory theory classes like discrete structure or an intro to alg class. Have fun being a code monkey faggot, I'm going to go to top tech companies to get over paid since I can solve dynamic programming questions.
>>
>>52701439
>go in software engineering
>first year
>get a dysfunctional mix of C and C++
>all the other years
>Java and Matlab for every class

I'm glad I am able to learn on my own, but damn, those poor students who think they're actually learning something by only showing up to classes
>>
>>52703158
>software engineering
That major is such a hit or miss depending on the school.
>>
>>52701439
It's not scientific. Universities become more like vocational schools. That's all.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>52701439
> I guess computer science is just glorified math now.
It should be math though. Problem is, it ain't proper math either. I do double major CS and math, and CS is just fucking easy compared to math. My last exam in math was on topological manifolds, banach algebra's, and some basic topology.
My last exam in CS was on regular expressions, context free languages, LL and LR parsing.
If you know what these things are the difference in difficulty should be obvious.

It's time we started making CS really about math. "Hello, this is your first class, where we will be talking about register machines and turing machines."
Second subject: List theory and functional programming.
And so forth.

This bullshit of 'computer science is about computers' has got to stop. It's just a lousy name, and not about computers at all. If anything, it's about computing and computers are to CS what the lab is to physicists.

image relevant
>>
>>52702184
> 99% of companies have no use whatsoever for formal design proofs and big O notation is just basically a fancy way of using logs to represent performance.

Right, that's why it's not fucking engineering. It shouldn't be about what companies want, but just about advancing knowledge, like math.
>>
>glorified math
More like the special needs brother of math.
>>
>>52703443
Most companies still use OOP

If you want your students to get jobs, better fill them with "actually useful" stuff like web development, C# and game design instead of boring theoretical stuff like functional programming
>>
>some universitys don't even teach Classical Greek to students, starting them out on English instead
I guess the search for universal truths is just glorified alphabetization now.
>>
>>52703443
Computer science is the science of computers. Your concept of "computer" is extremely narrow.

You probably think it's some machine that has buttons and displays information. That's a computer, but not the only kind.

>It's time we started making CS really about math. "Hello, this is your first class, where we will be talking about register machines and turing machines."
>Second subject: List theory and functional programming.
This is all arbitrary junk that has nothing to do with the fundamentals of computing. It's no less arbitrary than x86 architecture and JavaScript.
>>
>>52703676
Are you implying turing machines are not more fundamental to the principles of computing than x86 architecture? Because the distinction absolutely is not arbitrary.
>>
File: 1453474228925.jpg (13 KB, 232x185) Image search: [Google]
1453474228925.jpg
13 KB, 232x185
>>52703463

Then do a mathematics course.

Any non-american based maths course would laugh at any CS student that thinks that because they've studied comp sci they're now mathematicians.

The people who advocate for CS being math are basically going to kill their own profession because computing is a very very limited field of arithmetic knowledge. I'd go so far to say that in reality it's just basic arithmetic principles on it's own. Like the anon above who's studying both maths and CS, the CS is just so fucking easy compared to the topics he'd be doing.

Basically every mechanical engineer, or STEM field I know would laugh at a CS student saying CS is basically maths because there are tons of physics based formulas and equations that we'll never know because it doesn't relate to computing at all.

The normal CS course is just pissed all over by the stuff on a mathematics course. Mathematics gets so much more advanced than what is seen in a typical CS course.

CS should be the broad study of computing applications with a base of electrical engineering/computer engineering.

Otherwise study mathematics, or do both. But stop trying to make CS maths, because the current course material, yes even the simple matrices and shit you're doing, is all incredibly basic compared to an actual maths course.
>>
>>52703720
Turing completeness is fundamental, but the systems with that property are all totally arbitrary.
>>
>>52702363

I know how you feel, but at least I learned prolog which was pretty fun and some x86 and mips assembly
>>
>>52704072
The notion of turing completeness does not exist without turing machines. They are the simplest known abstraction we have to formalize the idea of a computer. Using them as a construct to understand the fundamentals of computing rather than another system, say x86, is not at all arbitrary.
>>
>>52703659
Yeah why don't we close the math faculties too and tell the math students to do physics instead because companies are looking for engineers?
>>
>>52701439
I do EE and I got C in my first year and we frequently do projects that require programming microcontrollers in C.
>>
>>52702184
Literally bullshit: the post.
>>
>>52703676
It's not the science of computers, just like geometry isn't about measuring the earth (which is where it get's its name). Instead, it about mathematical models of data and algorithms/computational methods. It's easy to confuse the essence of what you are doing with the tools we use.

How about we aren't viewed as the old egyptians are now, who thought geometry was about measuring the earth, and we get it right for once?
>>
>>52704032
Is English your first language? You seriously don't get things across well.
>>
>>52703676
Turing machines and register machines are the mathematical foundations of CS. It's closer to the essence of CS should be about.
>>
>>52704194
>mathematical models of data and algorithms/computational methods
Data and algorithms don't mean anything without computers. "Computer" isn't only a machine we can build. Anything that can carry out an algorithm is a computer.
>>
>>52704208

yes
>>
>>52704032
Yup. I'm not from america, and I laugh at CS students who think they now have a degree like a mathematician. I'd like to CS education come to the point where that is not so. And indeed CS as it is now may come to an end. I would have absolutely no problem seeing one half of it being absorbed by EE and the other half by math.
>>
>>52702184

>big O notation is just basically a fancy way of using logs to represent performance.

This is so wrong it hurts.
>>
>>52704252
Ok, if you want to call turing machines and register machines computers, that's fine by me. But let's study those computers then, instead of focusing on 'real life' computers. Being CS and math major, I see the foundations of math coming from numbers and set theory (where it is later explained that numbers can be used as if they were sets and sets are thus the actual foundation). The foundations of CS are laid by talking about hardware, how operating systems work, and application development.
>>
>>52701829
No
>>
>>52702184
I hope this was bait. Computer in CS != PC.

Read:Goedel Escher Bach or Complexity a Guided Tour for some info. The former is heavy subject matter though
>>
It was always like, except with Lisp/Scheme instead of Python.
>>
>>52703443
>mfw my college starts with calculus, discrete math, physics and all things math for the first year
>only one class involving computer science
Second year they drop physics and start things more related to CS but still math heavy, only in the 3rd year they go full CS.
>>
it seems to me that computer science was always just glorified math
>>
I took a year of CS and there was no math at all, just a bunch of half-assed programming classes and a fucking marketing class of all things.
>>
File: 1403208266233.png (122 KB, 439x443) Image search: [Google]
1403208266233.png
122 KB, 439x443
I'm just a dumb engineering student, how do I into C?
>>
>> guess computer science is just glorified math now.

You're an idiot.

Computer Science is just math. It's only tangentially related to programming.
>>
>>52704032
>CS should be the broad study of computing applications with a base of electrical engineering/computer engineering.

Uh, no, it shouldn't.

The Computer Science discipline is essentially that of the mathematics of computation.

It's not a math degree.

It's not a programming degree.

And it's certainly not a "broad study of computing applications" or computer engineering.

You're mixing up completely different disciplines.

>>Mathematics degrees should be the broad study of statistical analysis with a base in physics / astro-physics.

The above is a similar (and similarly erroneous) analogy to your statement.
>>
>>52701958
how would OP know, he probably barely passed calculus 1
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.