[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is it so hard for audiofags to explain their favorite term
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 47684.jpg (74 KB, 616x408) Image search: [Google]
47684.jpg
74 KB, 616x408
why is it so hard for audiofags to explain their favorite term "warmth" or why they think vinyl sounds "better"?
it's fucking piss easy.

"warmth" pretty much describes a combination of audible "flaws" of this analog recording like varying speeds causing slight pitch variations, crackling and other background noise.

all this makes analog recordings sound less sterile which is nice.

ALSO, a lot of music records on vinyl have a bigger dynamic range because vinyl is usually bought by enthusiasts who will listen to it with HIFI equipment while CD and MP3 recordings have to sound "good" on the shittiest players.
it's not that CD is not capable of fat ass dynamics, the problem is that popular music usually gets recorded compressed and flat as fuck to CD/MP3 because of the reason I mentioned before.
>>
>favorite
>warmth

u wot m8. some of us like neutral
>>
Why are audio imperfections considered good by "audiophiles"
>>
I'm a sound engineer, and you're a fucking idiot. Have you even heard vinyl before? No? Just sit on your fat ass and spew bullshit on 4chan?
>>
>>47786190
do you use the gold plated jacks and sound crystals?
and make sure to not have anything bend more than 30 degrees at a time so the electrons fly good?
>>
>>47786190
Told status:
[ ] Not told
[ ] Told
[X] Toldasaurus Rex
>>
>>47786190
You are aware that "vinyl sounds better" is a holdover from when magnetic tape was the main distribution format for music, right?
>>
>audiofags
>warmth

What kind of idiots do you talk to? Anybody worth their salt won't describe audio in such vague terms. Honestly I don't care for vinyl, but you just sound so ignorant.

I bet you only look at frequency response graphs and think thats all that fucking matters.
>>
>>47786190
Try to explain to him with actual sound-engineery arguments why you are not someone who is trying to defend something you like without arguments
>>
File: Hicks_Sullivan_Mag_Tape_sm[1].jpg (56 KB, 500x552) Image search: [Google]
Hicks_Sullivan_Mag_Tape_sm[1].jpg
56 KB, 500x552
>>47786248
>from when magnetic tape was the main distribution format for music
what? when was this ever the case? the 50s?
>>
>>47786309
The 80's/90's?
Where the hell were you?
>>
>>47786332
I was born in 1997
>>
>>47786309
the 80s you dumbfuck i wasn't even born then and I know that

Fucking cassettes
>>
>>47786309
tape cassettes
>>
>>47786283
>What kind of idiots do you talk to?
>ctrl+f "warmth" in every "audiophiles" review
>+12
>>
>>47786350
>>47786354
Oh I didn't think of that. Why didn't he just call them cassettes then?
>>
>>47786212
>do you use the gold plated jacks
Not that guy but gold plated jacks are useful in audio gear since it doesn't corrode. Good audio stuff can last years, even decades, and in that time frame, the jacks do tend to get shitty and unresponsive if not gold plated.

>sound crystals
If you mean timing crystals, this is a really common in all kinds of electronics, and generally aren't expensive unless you get something really ridiculous.

If you mean some weird ass shit like those stupid rocks that supposedly shape sound or whatever, then yeah, that sounds dumb.
>>
>>47786354
>>47786350
>>47786248
You are aware that cassettes which aren't cheaply made in a sweatshop have higher fidelity and sound better than any digital format, right?
>>
>>47786384
>what is muh placebo analog for $1000, Alex
>>
>>47786358
>muh anecdotes
>every
No.
You'd need to post some time examples and I'll tell you why they're shit reviews.
>>
>>47786378
Those rocks are just bigger crystals with more complicated dynamics, you nematode.
>>
>>47786378
The reason for the gold plated jacks makes sense but I've had people tell me that they sound better out of the box in comparison to non-plated jacks.

And by crystals I meant the audio crystals some people tape to the jack to "remove interference."

Also I should mention that I know the angle of a bend matters in micro circuits but people have taken that and applied it to stuff like speaker cables and claimed it sounds better when you don't have the speaker cables bent further than X degrees.
>>
>>47786428
Just pick any headphone review in the first two pages of google, you sperg.
Or any popular forum concerning sound and sound equipment.
>>
who are you quoting
>>
File: Brilliant_Pebbles_All[1].jpg (146 KB, 1200x904) Image search: [Google]
Brilliant_Pebbles_All[1].jpg
146 KB, 1200x904
>>47786444
>>47786441
>>47786378
>>sound crystals
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
>Brilliant Pebbles is a unique and comprehensive system for tuning the room and audio system based on special physical properties of highly symmetrical crystal structures. Brilliant Pebbles has been evolving since its introduction 6 years ago at the London HI Fi Show, especially the number of applications, many of which were discovered by our customers. Brilliant Pebbles addresses specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries. Brilliant Pebbles comprises a number of precious and semi-precious stones (crystals) selected for their effectiveness. The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass. We employ a number of highly-specialized, proprietary techniques in the preparation/assembly of Brilliant Pebbles to enhance the crystals' inherent characteristics. The fundamental operating principle of Brilliant Pebbles involves a number of atomic mechanisms in the crystals. Brilliant Pebbles will enhance the performance of your audio system so your favorite music and even your experience playing online fantasy games will become a mind blowing auditory experience.
>>
>>47786452
You're telling me you can't tell bullshit from a good review on the internet? And you post on 4chin?

Here's some good speaker reviews. You're just looking in the wrong places:
http://noaudiophile.com
Good read:
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers.htm

I could list more good audio resources if you like
>>
>>47786444
>The reason for the gold plated jacks makes sense but I've had people tell me that they sound better out of the box in comparison to non-plated jacks.
This is how companies like Monster make money. :) Yeah, totally placebo, it's not hard to find double blind studies to disprove this.

>And by crystals I meant the audio crystals some people tape to the jack to "remove interference."
Yeah, then that is right up there with those stupid wrist bands with a tiny, weak magnet that supposedly gives you strength and energy.

>Also I should mention that I know the angle of a bend matters in micro circuits but people have taken that and applied it to stuff like speaker cables and claimed it sounds better when you don't have the speaker cables bent further than X degrees.
I can see how people arrived at this from faulty logic.

I'm an RF engineer and I deal with two types of cable that most definitely has a limit on bend radius, coaxial cable and fiber. The distance between the inner and outer conductor of coax determines (along with its dielectric type) its characteristic impedance (most types is 50 Ohm). If you bend it too acutely, you change this distance too much and the impedance changes, and will create reflections. Likewise, if you bend fiber past its allowed radius, you'll get a break (not always a catastrophic break, sometimes just enough to create reflections). So I can see how uninformed people could apply this logic to normal wire.

However speaker cable and most cabling is not coaxial nor fiber, and so is not subject to these considerations.
>>
>>47786470
>>47786444
>>47786441
>>47786378
Oh my jeebus, yeah that is exactly what I was fearing when I mentioned those stupid rocks that shape sound.

What I was referring to with timing crystals are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator
As you can see in the wiki article, they are used for practically everything and are super cheap.

You COULD get extremely accurate oscillators for considerably more money just as you can get resistors within 0.001 Ohms of its rating, etc. Sometimes these more expensive oscillators are needed in more precise gear or for robust situations.
>>
>>47786540
>http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers.htm
I really respect Linkwitz and have read much of this site (I have actually used 2nd and 4th order Linkwitz crossovers in some of my self-made speakers), but I really dislike how the entire site is like 50% advertisement for his own stuff.

It's like every other paragraph is, "...and so you can compensate for the difference in phase BY BUYING MY $15,000 ORION SPEAKER SYSTEM."
>>
>audiofags getting pissy when people objectively "de-mystify" their bullshit

How classy
>>
>>47786348

MODS
>>
>>47787039
people born in 1997 are 18 now anon
>>
>>47787078
>18
Too old.
>>
>>47786122
>ALSO, a lot of music records on vinyl have a bigger dynamic range because vinyl is usually bought by enthusiasts who will listen to it with HIFI equipment while CD and MP3 recordings have to sound "good" on the shittiest players.
>it's not that CD is not capable of fat ass dynamics, the problem is that popular music usually gets recorded compressed and flat as fuck to CD/MP3 because of the reason I mentioned before.
Straight-up bullshit. The vast majority of the time, Vinyl uses the same master as the CD, so it'll be just as compressed. If you're comparing an original vinyl to some shitty modern remaster, sure, but all of these releases had a flat transfer to CD back in the 80s and early 90s.

Audible flaws, crackling, and noise sound like shit and make the playback worse.
>>
File: 1382647800506.gif (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1382647800506.gif
3 MB, 600x338
>mfw audio engineers probably just run the master through master2vinyl.exe and call it a day
>>
File: 1279835169862.jpg (125 KB, 475x466) Image search: [Google]
1279835169862.jpg
125 KB, 475x466
>>47787218

This.
At least all the "audio engineers" in this thread.
>>
I don't get all the love for analog music storage, but I love the way speakers sound when powered by a well made vacuum tube amplifier.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.