[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here use Telegram ? i bet none.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12
File: t_logo.png (12 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
t_logo.png
12 KB, 236x236
Who here use Telegram ? i bet none.
>>
Thats a nice logo
>>
Two friends of mine do exclusively for chatting between the two of them, even though they have Whatsapp.
>>
I use Facebook/WhatsApp because I have nothing to hide. I also own a Smart Watch and use Gmail, Google Now and Google Search.

Come at me.
>>
I don't have any friends so I don't use any IM except for steam ;w;
>>
im on it and ive convinced about 10 friends to use it,

the desktop app is great
>>
>>47781885
want to be friends anon? :3
>>
i guess fags who randomly invite people to join the "trolling" group on telegram originally from /g/
>>
I do and 20+ other contacts of mine, compared to over 60 on Whatsapp.
>>
File: 1430267487960.png (2 MB, 10000x9441) Image search: [Google]
1430267487960.png
2 MB, 10000x9441
>>47781874
Careful with that sharp edge.
>>
>>47781902

what group? invite me to join /g/ group pl0x, i am bored.
>>
Why would anyone use a program with broken encryption?
>>
>>47781896
I'm sorry, I only use steam to talk to people and I don't really want to add anyone new.
>>
>>47781978
u suck
>>
File: bot.gif (3 MB, 728x541) Image search: [Google]
bot.gif
3 MB, 728x541
>>47781826
nigga I develop for it
>>
I use it mainly because the desktop version
is very useful for sharing files between a computer savvy friend of mine
I have about 10 more contacts on it, but rarely have use it with any other
>>
>>47782043
Win.
>>
>>47782043
Tell me why chat history in group chats still can't be erased on windows version
whats keeping it from happening?
>>
>>47781826
what is it?
>>
File: screenshot_20150501-175513.png (29 KB, 808x178) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_20150501-175513.png
29 KB, 808x178
>>47782100
>>
>>47782043
Nice, what is that bot based on, Telegram-CLI / libtgl?
>>
>>47782122
https://github.com/vysheng/tg
If you want to try it out, add me @kenny0 .
The bot has a permissions system so if you just randomly message it it will ignore you.
>>
>>47781826
better than shitty whatsapp

it is the best
>>
>>47781969
>broken encryption
prove it, decrypt encrypted messages.

>bunch of amerifats on security now butthurt commie dogs destroyed them in security
>>
I use Whatsapp over Telegram because nobody here uses Telegram.
>>
Wait, how is this different to bluetext?
>>
>>47781874
>nothing to hide
What's your SSN?
>>
>>47782187
553-21-2833
>>
>>47781874
I shit in public toilets door open because I have nothing to hide
>>
>>47781969
Rolling own encryption is really lightheaded, but its not broken until someone manages to break it.

Also you can use OTR on top of it thanks to the Pidgin plugin if you want.
>>
>>47782196
Nice try, Lavada
>>
>>47781826
This thumbnail should be shown in schools to teach about the superiority of png on jpeg
>>
>>47781853
One of my m8s does the same shit with his gf, i don't even bother telling him how retarded that is since he's already an icultist.
>>
>>47782187
These services don't ask for that so why should I give you this information?
>>
>>47782370
You said “nothing”.

Rule of thumb is: if you wouldn't talk to your doctor about your genetic diseases with it, it doesn't respect your privacy.
>>
get in here
https://telegram.me/joinchat/AF7m6wBXaWw3DCLBVKLTvg
>>
No, but I do use telegraph.
-..-. --. -..-.
>>
>>47782645
>letting /g/ see my telegram account

no
>>
>>47782808
>use username
>change it l8r
>>
>>47781826
I use it, everyone I know uses it.
>>
Is this actually private? How does it compare to SMSsecure or WebRTC?
>>
>>47783751
No end to end encrpyption by default, just in secret chats, plus weird homebrew encryption protocol. Its a better chat tool than WhatsApp, since it supports multiple endpoints properly and also has desktop clients, but I wouldn't trust on its encryption.
>>
>>47782740

.- ... .... .. -
>>
>>47781826
I do, and about 20 or so of my friends
>>
>>47781826
I do but only one friend and family use it.

A fucking shame
>>
File: bale2.gif (909 KB, 254x286) Image search: [Google]
bale2.gif
909 KB, 254x286
I FUKKEN GOT MY PROTONMAIL.CH ADDRESS. SHIT IS SO NEAT
FUUUUUUUCK YEAEAEAEAEAEAEH

Enjoy your NSA FUUUUCKERS
>>
>>47782043
Are you third party or actually part of the devteam?
>>
File: 7vnTohL.jpg (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
7vnTohL.jpg
13 KB, 200x200
Using it with a bunch of friends of mine for about a year now. Loving the feature-richness and the steady development across platforms so far! Keep it up devs 19 bil. Whatsapp can suckle on me scrotum!
>>
>>47782645
I regret living
>>
Me and my family use it.
>>
>>47782645
can't join
>>
>>47785423
Embrace that you can't
>>
>>47782645
>sudden dump of futa and loki

fuck
>>
>>47785481
shit does that work here

>>
>>47781919
Careful with that down syndrome. Retard.
>>
>>47784168
> using a closed source nonstandards compliance service
> not using whiteout.io

kill yourself.
>>
>>47781826
Why the fuck should I use it? What does Telegram offer over IRC?
>>
>>47785659
IM =/= IRC

You can have both, in fact it's ok and you won't explode or anything.
>>
>>47781826
Enjoy your Russian botnet!
>>
Is it even better than XMPP?
>>
>>47781826

To hell with all these proprietary messenger apps. Don' you care about your privacy at all?

Here are some better alternatives. All are free and open source, and the protocols cross platform in some form or another. Read up on them, or I'll go into more detail if you wish.

ChatSecure
TextSecure / RedPhone / Signal
Kontalk
SureSpot
Subrosa
Linphone / CSipSimple / Jitsi
Tox (maybe. Not sure if shitty/imploded)

Bitmessage and Retroshare are not exactly messaging clients like the above, but have other features as well and allow a different sort of messaging experience.
>>
>>47785849
Telegram is free software.
>>
>>47781853
I do that so when my qt3.14gf sends me nudes they are not saved in the gallery by default.
Also, notifications don't show what people are writing you.
>>
Whatsapp has voice now. What does this shit have? Nothing. Even the stickers suck balls ill rather go back to Viber. At least the stickers on Viber are kawaii
>>
>>47785849
>TextSecure

I really like it and been using and making everybody that uses android to get it but I don't know if it is secure anymore, they been doing weird crap with the latest versions.
>>
>>47785901
>Whatsapp has voice now.

>messaging app
>voice
>>
>>47785898

Not entirely. While I'll grant that it looks promising, they only provide source code for some of the client interpretations and the APIs. Its right in their FAQ that the whole thing hasn't been released as of yet. They're also server based, so that's another possible issue.

Don't get me wrong, if they eventually release the entire codebase and allow users to run their own servers, then I think it will be as viable as any other I've mentioned. However, for the time being I'd be wary. However, they are better than What'sApp and the ten thousand Asian messengers out there.
>>
>>47785744
>IM =/= IRC
How so?

>You can have both
But why would I want to? My logic goes like this:

Either:

1) Telegram provides something over IRC
-> If so, what is it?

-or-

2) Telegraom provides nothing over IRC
-> If so, why use it?
>>
>>47785921

Which weird crap? So far everything I've seen suggests they're still secure. They've been making changes so they can get away from one criticism people levied, the use of google's push messaging. So that's good.

The only feature lost from what I see is encrypted "normal" SMS. That is to say, the kind that need to be sent via handshake key exchange etc.. . they wanted to make it easier for people, so they focused on the by default encrypted TextSecure user to user messaging instaead. They still support cleartext SMS, but if you're sending SMS you're still vulnerable to a lot of things anyway. If you really miss this feature, there's actually a fork that rolled up that includes it too. I forget the name off the top of my head
>>
>>47785948
Its nice calling people from the same app you know.
>>
File: 1427235469080.jpg (258 KB, 826x643) Image search: [Google]
1427235469080.jpg
258 KB, 826x643
Video calls when?
>>
>>47785972
>what does an hammer have over a screwdriver?
>>
File: shots_fired_1_.jpg (131 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
shots_fired_1_.jpg
131 KB, 900x675
http://www.whatsapp.com/download/
>>
>>47785972
your logic is retarded because you are just see the problem from your side. Sure I can also use IRC and I do it regularly, makes sense to make everyone I know to logging into the same IRC server from their phones to send a single message ? NO.

That's why you use IM networks, even if you loose connection you get all your messages as soon as you join back. (arguably you could use email for that).

Don't get me started if I meet someone and want to send a quick text to them or keep in touch... i bet you hold a lot of conversations that start like this one "oh sure anon, here, log into this server I'm on channel #imanaspiefaggot all day long, you can query me"
>>
>>47786003
nice to know.
>>
>>47786114
>your logic is retarded because you are just see the problem from your side.
But I'm over here, on my side, trying to figure out what all this deal is about.

>makes sense to make everyone I know to logging into the same IRC server from their phones to send a single message ? NO.
What? Speak more clearly. If I'm understanding your broken sentence correctly, you're trying to complain about IRC requiring a constant connection? If so, bouncers and services exist. It would be rather easy to modify an IRCd to remember messages sent while the recipient was offline, for example.

>That's why you use IM networks, even if you loose connection you get all your messages as soon as you join back. (arguably you could use email for that).
Bouncers also fix this problem.

>Don't get me started if I meet someone and want to send a quick text to them or keep in touch... i bet you hold a lot of conversations that start like this one "oh sure anon, here, log into this server I'm on channel #imanaspiefaggot all day long, you can query me"
This is generally how my friends communicate with me if they need me, actually. I'm not sure what the problem with it is.

Also, it's not like using the IRC network requires knowledge of the protocol and irssi. Services like mibbit and other webirc platforms exist and make connecting to IRC as easy as clicking on one link.
>>
>>47786095
Out of interest... Is there actually a libre app for WhatsApp? Whatsapp+ also exists, so I'm wondering.
>>
>>47786275
There used to be projects on GitHub but they all got taken down rather quickly. I still have backups.
>>
File: test.png (11 KB, 389x130) Image search: [Google]
test.png
11 KB, 389x130
>>47786275
its subscription, the app is free and has various clients which whatsapp has been cracking on. but they have their workarounds. but 1st year is free
>>
>>47786273
you do understand that you can't go telling people to setup a bouncer to send/receive a text message from you, don't you ?

try this, go grab any of your parents phones, uninstall every IM solution they have and tell them to contact you trhough IRC and leave.

Let's see how that goes. It's annoying that a lot of people talk shit about stuff but they don't understand why they actually work in the first place.
>>
>>47786357
Would you rather a secretary use ms word or vim?
>>
>>47786357
>you do understand that you can't go telling people to setup a bouncer to send/receive a text message from you, don't you ?
Why can't I? If they're incapable of communicating with me, it's their loss.

(And for everything important, there is e-mail either way.)
>>
>>47786512
E-mail is gay.
>>
>>47786512
Why the fuck should I use it? What does Email offer over Bitmessage?
>>
File: you.gif (672 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
you.gif
672 KB, 165x115
>>47786512
fell for b8, I should know better.
>>
File: gnuspoiler.png (105 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
gnuspoiler.png
105 KB, 512x512
Telegram is nice but it can't be trusted. I wished it use TextSecure protocol for encryption though. Then it'd be near perfect. The text secure offered by the Telegram devs are ass hats.

https://mobile.twitter.com/moxie/status/582273092682002432
>>
I use it at work. Great for team communication.
>>
>>47786856
>that entire conversation

God I hate Twitter.
>>
>>47781874
I have those and more too, but its because what I need to do in the future kind of rely on them
>>
>>47786619
It's well-established, just like IRC is for realtime chatting.

You are the ones proposing obscure alternatives here, E-mail and IRC are the norm.
>>
>>47787073

Could you please explain to me why you rely on Google Mail, Google Search and Google Now?

Is it necessary that your mailbox is being searched through for advertisement and surveillance purposes? Aren't there any other search engines? And why the fuck do you need voice recognition to do simple tasks?

I can understand why you are unable to quit Facebook (muh "social life"), but Google? Almost all things are to some extend replaceable.

>Google Mail
Any free or commercial provider that can be trusted.

>Google Search
Ixquick, Startpage, DuckDuckGo...
>>
Reddit: the messaging service
>>
>>47781978
I thought you didn't have friends? Liar.
>>
i wish more people would use it. it doesnt cost any money like whatsapp does
>>
>>47788060
$0.99 USD per year
>money to complain about
>>
>>47788118
why should i pay extra for something i already pay for.
>>
I use Telegram on both phone and PC.
>>
>>47781826
>Who here use Russian botnet?
Stop fucking posting on this board, Durov.
>>
>>47788123
You should pay to join the botnet, g... I mean boy!
>>
>>47788118
I could buy a good meal in 10 years instead of paying for whatsapp.
>>
So, what's the point of using all these cool and hip "apps" over good old e-mail and irc?
>>
>>47788598
>"apps"
http://www.osnews.com/story/24882/The_History_of_App_and_the_Demise_of_the_Programmer
From what I can tell (and thanks, Tupp!), the oldest, consistent, and still tangible use of the word 'app' comes from a rather unexpected direction - job postings. The magazine Computerworld had a special section dedicated to it, and the oldest copy which contains this section that I could find dates from June 8, 1981.

>As it turns out, the abbreviation 'app' was incredibly widespread, and was printed in several job postings in not only this issue of the magazine, but in many subsequent issues as well. It would appear that not only programmers themselves, but also their employers used the term 'app' on a regular basis from at least 1981 onwards (but my gut tells me it was used before 1981 as well - this is just the oldest tangible proof I could find).

>As you peruse the job postings from that era, it becomes clear that they are written in the style of telegrams - every character cost money, so you had to use shorthand as much as possible. Shortening 'application' to 'app' was just one of the many logical measures to cut the costs of placing job postings.

The interesting thing about this is that it automatically proves that 'app' was already a widespread term, since you can't use abbreviations your target audience doesn't understand (remember, no internet to easily look things up). For me, this means the term 'app' is way older than 1981 - we just don't have any tangible proof from before 1981 (as far as the web is concerned).
>>
>>47784168
I'm on Neomailbox, as they allow custom domain hosting. Their webmail is ok, but the IMAP service is hot.
>>
Used it at my previous Internship as a form to communicate in an office where many were on calls.
>>
>>47781826
some of my friends and i use it. /normie/ here.
>>
>>47781826
i do just because it's the least retarded way I can use to communicate with my non-wizard friends over the Internet. It's Telegram or Fecalbook, tracking pocket device, Skype honeypot, etc.

Telegram is far below freedom and privacy-wise to Tox, OTR, encrypted email, Jabber, Jitsi, etc; but at least the Telegram clients are free-as-in-freedom software.
>>
>>47781835
Underrated post
>>
>>47785898
>Tox
buzzwords and vaporware.
there's much more behind instant messaging than just client applications.

Tox has been free in its entirety from the start, used transparent end-to-end encryption from the start, engineered as P2P from the start so server-side surveillance was removed from the equation from the start.
>>
I actually use it with my friends from college since we graduated. Also with some other devs that I know. It's better than wsapp, btw.
>>
Nobody
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.