[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College Major Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11
File: 1511431213.jpg (40 KB, 483x300) Image search: [Google]
1511431213.jpg
40 KB, 483x300
What are you all majoring in? Software Engineering? CS?

What year?

School?
>>
>>47774039
majoring in ur mum @ u r dads house
>>
CS, junior. Not saying which school, but it's a mediocre liberal arts school in the north east.
>>
math lab development and production, third year
>>
I already make $100k a year as a Sales Engineer in Silicon Valley for a Tier 1 Service Provider. Have my CCNA and CCNP, 25 y/o.

Can't believe I am about to drop $500 a unit via CSU Monterey Bay's fully online CS degree program
>>
>>47774039
>ICT eng min Computer systems.
My university has retarded naming schemes, but then again, the style logo, buildings, etc have poor taste as well....

Is the "University of Technology, Sydney" btw
>>
>>47774048
Same, but sophomore. Do we go to the same school?
>>
File: 1424357048692.gif (3 MB, 280x250) Image search: [Google]
1424357048692.gif
3 MB, 280x250
>>47774066

>$100k@Silicon Valley

wow impressive lol
>>
>>47774134
its minimum wage i know, my 1bd apartment is already $1800

actually of thinking of leaving Network engineering and going back to Software when i finish my degree
>>
>>47774123
What letter does your school start with?
>>
So what do you need to know to land an internship, assuming you're on a shitty uni that doesn't have partnerships and you don't know anyone?
>>
>>47774217
Personal projects / portfolio

Apply to as many companies as you can find.
>>
File: 1421615055247.jpg (258 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1421615055247.jpg
258 KB, 1200x900
What Canadian schools are a good idea for a CS program?

Is UofT any good? Or Waterloo still better like everything else?
>>
>>47774039
Engineering Physics
University of Connecticut

I really want to make music though, might just keep it a hobby until I get some cash and take a year off or something
>>
Aerospace Engineering.

I graduate in a week and have a job at a military jet engine manufacturer. Not my dream job but it pays above average for entrylevel aero and it comes with a free masters.

Unfortunately the masters program is supposed to kick your ass five ways to sunday so I'm not really looking forward to that.
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (29 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
29 KB, 426x341
Nanotechnology (civil engineering)

2nd year

NTNU - Norway
>>
>>47774217
They will likely ask you how to solve a weird sounding problem, but one which is, ultimately, algorithmic.
They will ask you to write code on a whiteboard to solve a trivial problem
They will ask you what tools you're experienced with (version control systems, IDEs, automated testing environments, database engines, etc)
They will ask you about your career goals and how they fit with their company.

Do not act desperate. If you spill spaghetti talking about how you just want an internship, any internship, and you don't care what, they'll never hire you. They want someone upwardly mobile who is getting as much from them as they are from you: that's the kind of person who they benefit from forming a positive relationship with.
>>
>>47774048
>CS
>mediocre liberal arts school
You're not learning CS.
>>
>>47774380
Doesn't matter, only here for the diploma. Already got internships and job lined up.
>>
>>47774389
If that's true then drop out now. Don't let the jews take another cent of your money.
>>
>>47774426
Ha, gladly I go to school for free. Even then having a degree is worth it just to get past HR filters in case I need it.
>>
What year?
>4th year. About to finish an associates degree in network admin / infrastructure. 4 years because stupidly enough, I used to be an English / teaching major before I got bit by the technology bug hard. Thankfully community college is cheap.
School?
Community college. North east US

I'm almost done with my associates degree. One class away and I still don't know what bachelors to pursue. I was thinking cyber security, but I'm undecided. What would /g/ consider viable. I was thinking security because as an ever growing field, there should be plenty of jobs. Network admin seems like an over saturated field unless I mistaken. I currently make 55k a year moving boxes for a living, and this new union contract with the company permitting, my pay might go up to $80k yearly to do the same job. But id still be moving boxes in a warehouse for a living. Help me /g/.
>>
Possibly Electrical Engineering

Will be a freshman in the fall

Colorado School of Mines
>>
>>47774457

Wait you spent 4 years in a CC? And just now thinking of a Bachelors?

How old are you? Wondering if you think your age fucks you in any way.
>>
What's a good minor to take with CS?
>>
>>47774491
23 years old.i also work like 50 hours a week if not more. It'll be 4 years this upcoming September.
>>
>>47774526
Cyanide
>>
Mech eng at usyd
>>
>>47774526
Some liberal arts major, it's good to have a different point of view and group of classmates.
>>
>>47774491
Keep in mind I said I was a different major before IT though. I was like 1 semester away from finishing a degree in English when I switched. So I essentially started damn near all over again plus I started the job im at now.
>>
>>47774457
>security
HAHAHA
Security jobs are scarce as fuck, and don't pay worth a shit. It's a 50k, dead end career.

> network admin
Very crowded, yes. Not that well paying, either; a 60k job.

Honestly, man, it doesn't sound like you're very smart (community college, english major, degree in network admin, work in a warehouse) so you really have to ask yourself if you even have a place on the cutting edge. It sounds to me like you're a pleb, working a pleb job, for a very nice pleb wage and should just be happy and live your pleb life. Not every pleb makes 55, flirting with 80. Most make something like 30-40.

Just stay where you're at. No sense throwing any more time or money down a hole.
>>
>>47774039
Major:
>Swag Engineering

School:
>UC Berkeley home of the swag and based god

It's an individual major. I got it approved too. I come from a well off family and was expected to go to school but I make more money on my business ventures than I would with a degree. I also get ~150k every two weeks because muh trust funds. Honestly I'm hardly ever at school but my family makes generous donations so no one really says shit.
>>
Networking and System Administration at RIT..

I was at a shitty public school doing CS and realized its bullshit. All CS classes were dumbed down and made easy to compensate for all the dumb fucks trying to get CS degrees.
>>
Medfag because i want job security til i retire
>>
File: 3QNWvhF.jpg (109 KB, 600x796) Image search: [Google]
3QNWvhF.jpg
109 KB, 600x796
>>47774039
I.T. It's my dream to be a system admin and block sites all day long.
>>
>>47774641
Not him but $60k is well paying for a 22 year old out of college unless you already are married with kids. Most programming and engineering jobs on average pay that much.

Hell, NYU's engineering school brags about an average $60k out of college salary for their grads.
>>
>>47774641

What are some of the best IT jobs now, in your opinion then? (Not that guy)
>>
>What are you all majoring in? Software Engineering? CS?
Chemical Engineering
>What year?
Soph.
>School?
Northeastern Univ.
>>
>>47774682
I would say Computer Systems Analyst, Web Developer, Database admin, sys admin
>>
>>47774039
>What are you all majoring in?
Electrical engineering and computer sciences
>What year?
First
>School?

> mfw my school is the superior compiler: GCC
>>
CS/Business dual honours graduate from the UK.

I hate my life.
>>
>>47774641
What do you consider a worthwhile degree then? And I got network admin because my college offers three paths for associates in IT. Programming, IT support, or network admin. I've been building pcs as a side venture for years now. I started messing with networking stuff like setting up a private VPN, hardware firewalls etc. As for my job, I'm here because it pays very well with great benefits, one of which is $5k yearly for school.

As far as the English pursuit goes, I love to read and figured I chase something that I like. I realize it was stupid of younger me to do now, but I don't think any of that is a reflection on my intelligence. Settling for pleb life is what creates another generation of plebtitude.

So I ask again, what does /g/ recommend as a worthwhile bachelor degree?
>>
>>47774682
If you can get a position, network administration is a good entry level job. It pays comfortably, is easy, and if you keep up with the current state of the field, you can get into a data warehouse, virtualization center, or other distributed systems, and those pay VERY well. Quite cuthroat though: the field evolves so quickly that you need to keep active subscriptions to academic journals and stay educated regarding current research.

All of that pales in comparison with software development, but that's just as hard to get into as network admin and is much more difficult.
>>
>>47774039
Math lmao
>>
>>47774460
Enjoy the colossal amount of sausages and pretentious fuckwads there.
>>
>>47774756
I would either go for a CS degree or some kind of IT degree. Depending on what you want to do... I would stray away from cyber security programs unless its at a fairly prestigious school. You need to know how a system works before you can secure it, so go for a CS or IT degree then get certs for security. But if you want to go network admin, find a school that offers a more networking and system focused IT program. Like a 4 year tech institute... RIT, WPI, ...etc
>>
I'm about to go into a diploma program for computer programming with the idea of transferring into a degree later on (IT/Computer Science).

Is this a shit-tier idea or will I be alright?
>>
>>47774834
sounds like a good idea if you don't exactly know what you want to do.

Don't go to college unless you know what exactly you want to study, even if that means taking a break and thinking about it. Its not worth the money and time you will waste when switching majors or transferring schools.
>>
>>47774039
MIS@RIT

I like it a lot. I have tried cs and i really dont enjoy coding. I have also tried business and i didnt like pure business.

I really like the balance of MIS though.

I am not really sure whether i should go into databases or business analytics.
>>
>>47774879
How did you like RIT itself? I'm transferring there after this semester.
>>
>>47774879
RIT alum here, internships and being around people more autistic than me really helped me make something of myself.
>>
>>47774756
>What do you consider a worthwhile degree then?
That depends entirely on your career aspirations.

> I want to get into research and be a part of the cutting edge!
Computer science (ACTUAL computer science), or any hard science like physics, chemistry, etc if you prefer those fields.
Your life will consist of about ten years worth of bachelors/graduate/post-doc education (though what someone like you would consider "education" stops after the first year or two of grad school), and then a lifetime of paper reading, grant proposals, conference attendance, research work, etc. You'll be expected to put out quality work with semi-regularity.
You will have to meet and impress professors, do research experiences, and publish while in school if you want to succeed.

> I want to build amazing things and be super proud of what I do!
Any flavor of engineering, including software. Don't bother with anything post-bachelors; it's a waste of time unless it's a masters degree perfectly in line with what you're interested in and you don't have any way to pick it up in the field.
Your life will be stand ups, round tables, and other design meetings that interrupt lab-floor work. You'll be expected to move very fast and get things done yesterday.
You will have to meet and impress industry professionals, do internships, and work on personal projects while in school if you want to succeed.

> But that's *hard*, and I'm almost done with school and haven't met any of those people or been invited to any of those positions!
Then go down a rung, to IT or any other flavor of technician. Fix things instead of designing them, maintain instead of implement. Much easier, more plentiful, lower standards all around. You'll be expected to do assigned work 9-5.
You will have to obtain all necessary certifications and practice hands-on skills while in school if you want to succeed.
>>
>>47774426
Jesus fuck you people are annoying. There is no doubt about the fact that a degree won't help much in getting a job, but 10-15 years down the road it will give you a higher salary.

This is just a fucking fact. The system is shit, it doesn't help you learn, and it does waste 4 years of your life. However, you will make that money back + more after about 10 years of being the workforce. To top it off, being a wage slave fucking blows. The longer you can put it off, the better.
>>
>>47774941
> I just want to make money
Don't bother with college. Learn a trade and join a union; make more money with less investment. College is a complete scam if this is all you want; all the advisors in high school who told you college = money = college were lying to you.

> All of that sounds scary, can't I just extend high school for another four years?
Liberal arts college it is then.
>>
>>47774039
>What are you all majoring in? Software Engineering? CS?
Electrical and computer engineering

>What year?
Junior

>School?
Oklahoma State University.
>>
>>47774897
I transferred here and i really like it more than my old school, Alfred University.

I mean, RIT has good and bad.
Good:
Its name echoes and it has some of the best specialized majors in the country (arguably the best MIS program in the country)

Bad:
The teachers for core classes just dont seem like they care all that much. I mean, like all the upper level classes I have taken have great professors, but the lower level classes blow, at least from my experience compared to AU
>>
>>47774039
Is a Math major okay for a programmer? I was going to be a Biology/Geology major but I kind of lost interest in the physical sciences. Unfortunately my school dumped the CS major in May of 2014 and merged the CS and Math departments. I want to be a programmer and not take tons of "theoretical bullshit" math courses (Applied math is great). I might be fucked though since I am in a combined "non-majors" calculus course that doesn't count towards higher courses like Calc 1/2 does. Maybe I could weasel my way into Calculus 2 since I have the same professor for my math and programming courses.
>>
>>47774942
If you have a job offer, there's no reason to spend another nanosecond on a campus.

In a job interview, there is one thing and only one thing that matters: relevant experience in a similar position. If you have that, the interview becomes exclusively about that and how applicable it is. If you don't have that, the interview degenerates into shit like degrees and personal projects and how often you walk your dog, and your application gets put in the special pile that they send the interns to unearth when they eventually run out of candidates who have relevant experience in a similar position.

Degrees matter for and only for your first job. After that, they're meaningless.
>>
Uhhh.... Religious Studies at Washington State.
Relax though. I'm not a total idiot. I'm doing postgraduate psychology.
>>
>>47775004
Find a school that offers a Software Engineering major. That's what you want.
>>
>>47775010
>Religious Studies
Nice meme degree
>>
Going to University of Wisconsin Madison next year. Psyched as hell.

Going for Computer Science, and if that doesn't work; Physics or Computer Engineering.

I hope to goodness that I can get the funds. I'm so scared.
>>
>>47774039
>junior in fall
>Computer Science
>NAU

>inb4 shit program
sure thing pal
>>
>>47774756
>What do you consider a worthwhile degree then?

>degree
>worthwhile
Pick only one. If you have family/friends in key positions that can get you a job, degrees don't matter; just teach yourself the skills and walk into the job. If you don't have contacts, degrees don't matter; the job was always going to go to the boss's nephew anyway.
>>
>>47774897
Not that guy but the post after you. If you major is technical it is a pretty great place. Depending on how into extracurriculars you are human vs zombies, CS house, etc are all great places to make connections. Take solace in knowing you won't be the weirdest person in the school, your major or your specific class even.. when I was there I knew a guy who literally wore a pirate hat everyday and others that wore Naruto headbands daily.

Aside from the people though, my professors were top notch. People who were in the field most of their lives and decided to become professors later for me make the best people to learn from since they are interested in higher learning but have the practical experience and mentality to help it cement in your brain.

I suppose it really depends on where you are coming from and what you want. I enjoyed my time there and made friends and professional connections that keep me on my toes today, and the co-op aspect being a paid/credited part of the curriculum really helped me figure out what position I was looking for after school and got me some leverage when obtaining my first job that other kids don't have.
>>
>>47774039
Akron U computer engineering

How fucked am I? Most of the engineering programs there are parallels of each other give or take a few courses. Computer is the same as electrical, aerospace is the same as mechanical.
>>
>>47775005
>Degrees matter for and only for your first job. After that, they're meaningless.
That literally couldn't be more wrong. They actually matter more after your first job, especially if it is something like a BS or AS.

We hire both experienced devs and code monkey kids to do support and learn. The offers we make from experienced devs are about half based on their experience, and half on their degree. The new guys we basically take anyone that claims they know how to code, degree or not. The kids with degrees will get larger raises than those without them, even though we usually start them at about the same amount.

I know it isn't fair, but this is just how things work.
>>
>>47775076
what was your major?? CS?
>>
>>47775134
Information security & forensics, although I'm not directly in security now I'm mostly doing sysadmin automation and systems engineering type work.
>>
>>47775151
I guess I'll follow this post up with sometimes I wish I did a CS major and security/crypto minor but I'm pretty happy where I am now.
>>
>>47775151
I'm going into the Networking and System Admin program. But I guess ISF was changed to computer security... from what i understand atleast. where did you co-op? was it in security or sys admin type stuff?
>>
>>47775106
>My dad works at Nintendo, you guys, and he said that if you hold the stick left after beating Master Hand you unlock Sonic!

I've been in software engineering since 2009. I started out in Indianapolis, Indiana and eventually moved to San Francisco back in 2012. I change jobs every 9-24 months, always because I made friends with someone who works at a different company and he/she invited me to come there for more money. Development houses expect this; that's why Pair Programming and collaborative design is so big. I've even left somewhere, worked for the immediate competitor, then came back later: it wasn't some underhanded sabotage or homesickness, that's just what ended up happening.

Modern, agile software development is an extremely social, extroverted activity. You don't succeed unless you're an extremely ambitious social butterfly, and that kind of person very rarely stays in one place. It's also an extremely fast-moving field: one of my friends had a nice quote that "The half life of a computer science degree is less than the time it takes to get it". Degrees achieved 5 years ago are meaningless because what they taught you has no relevance to what you're doing today.
>>
Another RIT fag here
In a BS/MS program for a CE/CS degree. Also minoring in SE and Psych because fuck social lives.
>>
>>47774048
Is it in mass?
>>
>>47775185
>2009
Real impressive.

None of what you said at first is wrong. I won't argue with it, because it is correct. Degrees are not meaningless though. They are a part of what determines your salary down the road. Are they all of it? No. Is the information you were taught during that time worth anything 10 years down the road? No. Will you get paid more if you have one? Yes. This is a fucking fact, and if you have been in the field for 6 years you would know this. Unless you have never held a hiring position or were close enough to one to know how the process works.

I'm pretty fucking sick and tired of people in their 20s and 30s telling people to drop out of school, when they should be telling them to stay in school, and apply what they are learning to personal real world projects. The people that say this either a.) didn't finish or didn't go to college and think they are somehow think they know everything or b.) did go to college but feel like they learned more on the job. The B type don't realize that they are benefiting somewhat from their education in other ways, and it directly is affecting their salary. I'm guessing you are a B.
>>
>>47775185
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
>>
IT, would have loved to do SE but not offered here. Whatever though, most of what I've done in my spare time aligns with that so I'm good.

Enjoy doing a bunch of CS related stuff for my research prof though, it's honestly fun, just wish I didn't have other shitty classes that get in the way.
>>
>>47775322
Forgot, senior, should be graduating this Fall. Armstrong State Uni.
>>
>>47775182
One co-op was sysadmin type stuff the other was security at a really small place that didn't take my findings seriously. Both were companies you probably haven't heard of, unless you are already in that area.
>>
CS
Junior
Wichita State
>>
>>47775076
>CS house
That place is pretty weird. Still, though, there are some smart people kicking around there.
>>
I'm working on a Masters in EE right now. I did it in undergrad as well.
>>
I went to the University of Minnesota and got a BS in EE.

Now living in silicon valley, writing free software.
>>
>>47775370
Yeah I'm from around that area. Where was sys admin? what exactly was it doing?
>>
>>47774039
Electrical systems design
Second of 2 years
Ranken tech.
>>
>>47775310
>Will you get paid more if you have one? Yes
I will freely admit that I only know about agile development houses, so if you're talking about more rigid, entrenched SE where people set down roots and stay for 20 years, great. Inform the masses. I'm not qualified to talk about those places.

In my world, there very rarely even is an HR department, and if there is one it's strictly clerical. Engineers hire other engineers, and they hire each other based on, in descending order:
1. Personal reference
2. Direct, applicable experience
3. Indirect, relevant experience
4. Education
A good match at any level completely invalidates all subsequent levels, and there's the overbearing, omnipresent requirement of "Work well with everyone else". We move too fast to be able to worry about nitpicky details like college; all involved parties understand implicitly that this is a short term, goal-oriented relationship; that methodology defines everything about this industry.

I do not advocate everyone to drop out of college right now. That's ridiculous. I advocate everyone to stay in college exactly as long as it takes to get what you want, and not a second sooner. Meet professors and get involved with their research. Meet other students and put together startups. Take a lot of different classes to figure out what area of the field you like best. Take advantage of library accounts to ACM Digital Library and IEEE Xplore to read papers and immerse yourself in the current state of the field. Use industry partnerships to land internships. Have lots of sex with liberal arts students. Maybe even graduate if you really want to, but don't feel obligated to.

Once you have what you want from college, leave. Don't let anyone pressure you into staying longer, delaying your career (you cannot afford delays in this industry: it all moves too quickly) and costing you money.
>>
>>47775467
I was at the hospital in the city with more of a support role, but being in the industry a few years look for co-ops that will let you work on automation and orchestration software like ansible, puppet, chef, saltstack, etc. Don't be afraid to go far from home even if at first it seems like an inconvenience.
>>
>>47775402
I hatr when they do intermurals. They take the shit way too seriously even if its a rec league.

Thats the only reason i usually cringe when I see CSH jerseys or something.
>>
>>47774039
>What are you all majoring in?
CS, but I can specialize in either Software Engineering or Security.
>What year?
>School?
UTSA, a sister school to the University of Texas
>>
Masters in Plant Pathology Oregon State University.
>>
>>47775640
>I can specialize in either Software Engineering or Security.
>Not data mining, machine learning, computer vision, algorithm design/analysis, distributed computing, or any other actual CS
You go to a diploma mill run by anuses
>>
>>47774879
>>47774926
Yo, going to RIT in fall for Software Enginnering.

Any advice on finding a non-aspi roomate who understands basic hygiene? I don't want to get caught in the non-social highschool loop, tired of that shit.
>>
>>47775568
awesome thanks!
>>
>>47774169
M
>>
>>47775703
There is quite a mix of people there. You might be at the mercy of housing for first year, but after that you'll probably find someone to go into housing with. If not, just rent a room nearby off campus and save some money.
>>
>>47775702
Well I can also just get a normal CS degree. All those things you listed are courses we're required to take though, or at least most of them. The rest we can take as our upper division electives though.

Either way, the school has jobs set up with USAA and Rackspace for graduates. I'm also going to do the internship course to test the waters somewhere else just in case.
>>
>>47774039
2nd year computer science at sydney uni

trying to improve my WAM so i can get into honours
>>
>>47775749
>All those things you listed are courses we're required to take though, or at least most of them. The rest we can take as our upper division electives though.
Oh. That's a nice school that you should enjoy going to then. Carry on.
>>
>>47774074
aren't your engineering degrees 3 years without a credit average?
>>
CS, rising junior, UT Dallas
>>
>>47775739
Yeah rolling the dice was the way I was leaning.

The only issue is I don't want to get stuck in a shitty dorm. If I pick a roomate I'm pretty sure we can pick our room in Gleason or Ellingson, just somewhere that has AC.

The questionnaire for the roomate stuff is honestly so shitty, you're pretty much match based on vague musical taste.
>>
>>47774039
Computer Engineering
Freshman
North Texas
I'm hoping to do a lot of work with my hands
Have I fucked up with this major?
>>
Computer Science
Cal Poly SLO
>>
>>47775864
I don't really have any advice, I applied with a highschool friend in the area so I didn't have a fresh experience but it could be fun.
>>
File: wat.jpg (10 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
10 KB, 184x184
>>47774941
>then a lifetime of paper reading, grant proposals, conference attendance, research work, etc. You'll be expected to put out quality work with semi-regularity.
You will have to meet and impress professors, do research experiences, and publish while in school if you want to succeed.

I'm 24 but I have excellent grades and will be entering a top 20 Uni in the fall.

Is it too late for this kind of lifestyle for me, because of my age? I'm willing to work harder than anyone else.
>>
>people spend four years getting a CS degree and end up working at some boring Java EE shop

>random people without a degree go to a bootcamp or a program like Recurse Center, market themselves well and get cool jobs
>>
File: 1393269829025.png (1 MB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
1393269829025.png
1 MB, 699x699
Majoring in dropping the fuck out.

After 4 years, 50K, and what seems to be hundred fuck ups, I'm done with this shit.
>>
>>47776037
So you're happy with spending 50K and 4 years of doing nothing? Why not finish, even if in something unrelated if it only takes a single year.

I switched my major three separate times before I found something that was alright.
>>
File: 1420770688151.jpg (77 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1420770688151.jpg
77 KB, 768x1024
>>47776052

I've got a year and a half left, a 2.0 gpa, and have no issue with finding a job where I'll be able to pay off my debt in about a year and a half.

I just want to completely start over from square one. Just forfeit everything, every credit, and start the fuck over.

I want to finish eventually, but I simply can't fucking do it anymore.
>>
>>47776108
>a 2.0 gpa
>start the fuck over.
>finish eventually

Bad news friend, your gpa follows you.
>>
English with a emphasis on secondary teaching.
>tfw only liberal arts major in this thread

Enjoy your over saturated fields, codemonkeys!
>>
>>47775912
Age really only becomes a factor for aspiring docs after 35 or so, and only for the top research institutions (most of which are in the US). You probably won't even be the oldest person going through your program.
>>
>>47776108
Just graduate with that 2.0 GPA and do volunteer work or internships for a while. Your GPA only matters for your first job.
>>
>>47774257

Waterloo only has co-op, UofT has dat top tier degree.
>>
EE
Just finishing up third year
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
>>
>>47776184
>English major gloating about their job market to STEM majors

Literally what?
>>
File: 1429271438450.png (209 KB, 554x472) Image search: [Google]
1429271438450.png
209 KB, 554x472
>>47776184
> I believe that teaching isn't an over saturated field.
>>
>>47776184
Have fun with your 25k salary and no career advancement potential if you can find a job at all
>>
>>47776490
>tfw the teachers in chicago are getting more fucked every day
so glad i didnt become a teacher. fuckin guys might lose their pensions and face a shit load of layoffs. i feel bad for those guys.
>>
Physics
Finishing second year next week
>>
>>47775876
jeffy?
if not jeffy, do you eric augustine?
>>
Computer programming analyst with hopes of doing something with Databases.

Can anyone share stories about database work and what not?
>>
>>47776623
yes he is my teacher for csc 141
>>
>>47776689
also im not jeffy idk who that is
>>
Anyone here from T.O?

Having trouble deciding http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/CPA.html#layer1 Seneca's CPA or Sheridan's https://www.sheridancollege.ca/academics/programs-and-courses/computer-systems-technology-software-development-and-network-engineering.aspx SDNE

Anyone going to either these Colleges? Also thoughts
>>
>>47776689
No way omg!
Ask him if it's true that he puts bombs in his friends computers
Or talk to him about smash
>>
File: 1430449179532.jpg (302 KB, 991x662) Image search: [Google]
1430449179532.jpg
302 KB, 991x662
>tfw missed out on scamming people because was told constantly at a young age arts is useless

Boy I sure love my 29k help desk no with hope of moving up!
>>
>>47775912
No, not at all. I started college at 22. Being more mature is a huge benefit for going the academia route.

Don't worry too much about research your freshman year. There's more important things to deal with, and the instructors you're dealing with aren't professors anyway. Sophmore year, look for a research experience for undergraduates. Your university will have a department something like mine's Center for Research and Learning that sets up programs and things, and you can check out the NSF's REU listings here:
http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.jsp

When you start taking higher level classes, interacting with the real professors, find one who you like personally, whose class you're doing very well in, and whose research is something you're interested in. Ask if he has any research projects you can get involved with. (Spoiler: he does. They all do. It's literally their job) My school had the option to replace a 400-level elective with a research semester; you spend the semester working with a professor, reading/presenting papers, and furthering your own project, which is probably either a microcosm or facet of something he's doing with his grad students.

Apply for grad schools your senior year. If you've been doing research as an undergrad, you'll have a very easy in to most universities, but even if you're an undergrad at a top 20 know that Ph.D applications are INSANELY competitive. Don't let that stop you.
>>
File: WozIn.jpg (121 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
WozIn.jpg
121 KB, 450x338
Graduated with honors a year ago with an EECS degree from Berkeley.

$130k/yr salary for the first year. Shit's pretty cash.

Pic related, it's the woz
>>
>>47776756
I'll ask him haha, did u used to be a studrnt in his class ?
>>
Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering
Junior
North Carolina State University

tfw took a year off after high school and then spent time at community college. I'll graduate when I'm 25 if I don't do co-op and when I'm 26 if I do co-op
>>
>>47776797
No I'm friends with him
Hes a computer wizard
>>
>>47776793
>tfw I see the woz riding around on his segway eating greasy hotdogs around town all the time
>>
Computer Science
Rutgers University Class of 2018

It's a huge fucking school and you can find pretty much every kind of stereotypical person you can think of here.
>>
>>47776786
As a Ph.D, you'll be keeping up with the field, writing surveys and taking graduate level classes. In a year or two you'll prove masters competency, maybe writing a thesis summarizing your findings and understanding of your field (Not anything so broad as "Computer Science" or even "Artificial Intelligence", but more along the lines of "Reinforcement Learning") and that's where the real fun starts.

From this point until the end of your Ph.D, you are a researcher. Over the next 4-5 years you keep up with the field, you progress on your own projects as guided by your advisor, and you publish every once in a while. You'll do quite a bit of travelling thanks to conferences, workshops, etc. You'll be getting paid for all this, though not well.

Your task is to create your Dissertation: a horrifyingly complex document (book, really) that demonstrates your complete, comprehensive understanding of your field and details your significant contributions to it. You will be expected to know everything worth knowing about your chosen field of study and have contributed meaningfully to it.

After that, it's time for a post-doc. This is a 0.5-1 year position at a university where you're basically an ascended Ph.D: you're still working on another person's research, but it's far more independent. Kind of like an internship for professorship. Alternately, you can get a job in an R&D lab in the industry.
>>
MIS.
LMU.
Proficient in Python, currently. Learning SQL and Java intermittently.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.