[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I decided that for my first programming language, I want to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: ruby-on-rails.jpg (31 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
ruby-on-rails.jpg
31 KB, 500x501
I decided that for my first programming language, I want to learn Ruby on Rails. Yes, I'm aware that it's a framework and real coding is a lot more involved, but I would like to start designing web apps and all the advice I get is that Rails is the best option.

I'm making a concerted effort to learn, but I keep running into roadblocks; I'm a true beginner to this and a lot of the material I run into seems to assume I already know some things.

So what do I learn BEFORE getting into a specific language? Command prompt? MySQL? Power Shell? A text editor?

What's the most efficient order of operations a completely noobish person would have to learn in order to work their way up to actually programming?
>>
i would suggest running linux on a VM and working in that rather than in Windows, getting Rails running efficiently can be a hassle. if you just want to learn Ruby then Rubyinstaller + some form of editor/IDE is fine.
>>
>learning a framework first
>without knowing the base programming language

Stupid.

>>>/dpt/
>>
>>47764005
you can get away with it with rails
>>
>>47763989
Right now, Windows is my only option. If I get linux it would be an a separate harddrive to boot off of.

Still though, does it make sense to dive headfirst into Ruby without really knowing how to use the command prompt?
>>
You are waaay over your head, you need linux cli, db, design paterns, basic coding... many things
>>
>>47764025
>If I get linux it would be an a separate harddrive to boot off of.
run in on a VM...

>Still though, does it make sense to dive headfirst into Ruby without really knowing how to use the command prompt?
of course. the only thing you'll be using command prompt for to start off with is changing the directory to where your ruby files are and running them.
>>
>>47764025
getting Ruby to work on windows is a huge pain, and windows isn't a real deployment target for rails apps anyways
>>
>>47763970

That's not ASP.NET MVC.
>>
Ok, so I'll get a VM for linux, then put rails on it. how about MySQL? SHould learning how to use that come before Rails?
>>
>>47764117
pick it up as you need it.
>>
fucking niggers
LET RUBY DIE
USE NODE.JS
>>
Codecademy dot com
>>
>>47764180
let JavaScript die plz
>>
>>47763970

i'd strongly consider working through the pickaxe book to start with just to get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

http://ruby-doc.com/docs/ProgrammingRuby/
>>
>>47764208
i'm not OP but:
If I already know programming (at least on a conceptual level, i.e. I know what an object is, common design patterns, have made small text-only programs in Java and Python before etc but have no real whole-project experience), should I use the Pickaxe book (even though it's 15 years out of date) or pick a different guide?

I wanted to learn RoR to get some proper web development under my belt because their shit won't advance my career at all, and I figure building my own full website would be a good learning experience and portfolio-builder.
>>
>>47764292
this is me, second paragraph was meant to say:

I wanted to learn RoR to get some proper web development under my belt because my job's current proprietary language shit won't advance my career at all...
>>
>>47764206
Dart 4life
>>
>>47763970

Since when did you guys started endorsing startup culture languages?
>>
>>47764292

i would use it. there's a more up to date version of the pickaxe book for sale at https://pragprog.com/book/ruby4/programming-ruby-1-9-2-0 if you're concerned that the book is too old.
>>
>>47763970
Just pickup PHP. It will get your foot in the door to the world of programming. Get a strong foundation in object-oriented programming.

Check out laracasts.
>>
>>47764623
>recommending php
if op asked about scripting language, you would recommend perl to him, wouldnt you?
>>
>>47764639
If it was 1996, yes I would
>>
Any issues picking ASP.NET MVC over RoR?

Not OP, obviously.
>>
>>47764689
If you would like to be locked down to winshit server, no issues
>>
>>47764355
Dart a shit, its all about Go
>>
P Y T H O N
Y
T
H
O
N

While Rails does have incredible performance, Making shit on python is dead easy, after importing almost everything you need to do anything you want, it's just a matter of writing code to specify what import runs where and your done
>>
>>47765373
>>47764355
>>47764206
>>47764180
None of these handles concurrency right, although Go is the least wrong one. Not OP's concern right now but something to have in mind. Erlang and Elixir and pretty much they only option for writing concurrent web application that scale painlessly to multiple server. (That said, it's way slower than Go.)
>>
>>47765408
>While Rails does have incredible performance
Nigga, you trolling? Rails is a slow framework. Ruby 2.x is marginally faster than Python 3.x.
>>
>>47765468
>what are promises?
>>
>>47765484
A thing JS coders tout as THE solution to their ridiculous callback problem. Their shit is still single-threaded regardless.
>>
Ruby has mutable strings. Why?!
>>
>>47763970

Rails is simply not usable on Windows.

You can learn with a VM or a web IDE like C9 but to productive with Rails you have to use Linux/Mac.
>>
>>47765468
>concurrent web application that scale painlessly to multiple server
concurrent web applicationS that scale painlessly to multiple serverS
Fuck, I must be a caveman.
>>
>>47763970

That's not node.js. But seriously, JavaScript is at its peak.
>>
Worked with Ruby on Rails for half a year for a school project. I not think it's a good starting languages, way to much "ruby magic" involved, you not see the stuff behind. Also If you want to code, a web framework is not the best starting point (not very much ruby code, mostly you just fuck around with the view (html and javascript)).

But it really depends on what you want to learn, if you want a better understanding about computers and coding in general start with something else. If you just want get a job, learn rails.
>>
Ruby on Rails is not a language; it is a framework. Ruby is the language.

>>47765807

To avoid excessive copying. Ruby also has an immutable string class called Symbol.
>>
>>47763970
99% of Rails developers are on OS X. All of the RoR Core team is on OS X. Learn that first.
>>
>>47768538

This too. Also, the silver casing made from aluminum. He should learn how to shape that first.
>>
>>47768644
This. Also, you should really be able to create your own aluminum from scratch using only the fabric of the cosmos tbh
>>
>>47769074
>not skipping the aluminium stage and making a cosmic fabric case
Only 0.2g and practically carries itself thanks to all the raw energy its exhausting.
>>
File: ei4.jpg (37 KB, 439x720) Image search: [Google]
ei4.jpg
37 KB, 439x720
OP, get ahead of the curve. Rails is hot "now" as in, right now. By the time you become competent, the market will be so oversaturated with railsdevs that you won't hold a candle to any of them.

You want to get a job, as a junior, in a freshly appearing market... learn JS. Learn pure JS. And on top of that, learn node.

JS scares people, railsdevs (as in "I learnt rails and just rails") are hopeless with it. But it's the future, it's fucking fast. This is why you're seeing things like coffeescript and typescript appear. Because we ALL know that JS is a shit language, and these "sub-JS" languages that compile into JS are there to help make it readable. But at some point, you'll come undone with either Typescript or Coffeescript. It just wont work the way you intended it to, and at that point, only someone who knows raw-JS will be able to fix it.

In short, learn JS.
>>
>>47769988

Isn't node picked mostly because "muh front end devs want to feel like back end devs somedays"?
>>
>>47770151

No, it's picked because it's a full programming language, running in unison between the front and back.

It's a full stack programmers toolbox, but for fucks sake, don't expect /gd/ to have any idea how to use JS on the back end. They're too busy arguing about which font is the new hotness.
>>
>>47763989
Àgr33d
>>
>>47764053
>programming in a VM
it'll be a pain in the ass. Just install GNU+linux natively.
>>
>>47765408
making shit in ruby (and for that matter rails) is dead easy as well using the same epic programming strategy you outline

>>47770503
no it won't
>>
>>47764011

It will still be hard. You will have to know eveything from the ground up if you are going to do anything other than scaffolding.
>>
Id you go to school, get RubyMine from JetBrains. You can get it for like 10 bucks then.

Use postgresql for DB, nginx on passanger for server.

Start using AngularJs at once. .erb is shit.
>>
File: 1429995842142.jpg (19 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1429995842142.jpg
19 KB, 500x376
>>47763970
NO OP.

THESE TECHNOLOGIES ARE HARMFUL. THE ONLY SOLUTION IS STATIC HTML (FUCK 4.01 VALIDATION FREE YOUR CODE) WRITTEN ON YOUR TOASTER WITH A SOLUTION LIKE VI AND POSSIBLY STITCHED TOGETHER WITH ASM.

STYLESHEETS ARE CANCER AND DON'T RESPECT USER'S FREEDOM.
>>
File: 1402537059984.jpg (37 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1402537059984.jpg
37 KB, 960x960
>>47763970
You should really check out >>47764199

They have a course in both ruby and ruby on rails, and then a bunch of other beginner level courses. They are really easy too, but will still teach you a lot of what you need to get started.

Will it teach you to be good at anything? No, but it is great for getting past the "Oh, god I don't know how to do shit in this language, I'm going back to whatever language I'm comfortable with now." phase of learning a language.
>>
File: IMG_1792.jpg (900 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1792.jpg
900 KB, 1536x2048
>>47771687

Someone saved my picture
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.