[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why MS makes outstanding programs like the Office suite, Visual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: access-2013.png (118 KB, 1620x832) Image search: [Google]
access-2013.png
118 KB, 1620x832
Why MS makes outstanding programs like the Office suite, Visual Studio, Active Directory, Exchange, etc.
But they can't come up with a decent OS?.
I would kill to have such tools running on Linux.
>>
>>47759950
>outstanding programs like the Office suite, Visual Studio, Active Directory, Exchange
LOL
>>
MS Office and its formats are dead. It's Open Document time.
>>
>>47759963
Exchange and AD perform better than any of the freetard alternatives.

Saying this as someone who has to deal with this shit.
>>
>>47759963
Freetads in denial.
>>
>>47759963
>in denial
Visual Studio is an extremely well designed IDE. It has its faults, but all in all it's just an amazing piece of software for doing its job. I don't use IDEs, but if I did, I'd be using VS, not the IntelliJ shit.

Office continues to be better than the alternatives if you want to do anything more advanced than typing a report.

AD/Exchange also outperform all the competitors.

There's hating Microsoft, and then there's hating great products just because they're from Microsoft. One mindset is reasonable, the other is retarded. I'll let you figure out which one is which.
>>
>>47759963
sorry but eclipse and libre office really are pieces of shit compared to office and VS. just because its microsoft doesn't mean it isn't well written.
>>
>>47759963
You must be the kind of people that think GIMP=PS.
>>
exchange is a clusterfuck and i would much rather prefer simple imap or pop3.
office suite is bad except for excel and onenote.
don't use the other ones.

there isn't anything majorly wrong with windows if you debloat it.
>>
>>47759950
>killing to have access on linux

please be trolling
>>
>>47760045
Well yeah, Microsoft scoops up a lot of the best coders with its aggressive hiring programs, so it's to be expected that their software packages are going to be good. The main reason Windows sucks involves business decisions (e.g. maintaining full backwards compatibility and so on)
>>
>>47759950
>Office suite
As someone who has to fight this shit every day... Ugh. It's terrible. Not really Office itself, so much as the fact that everyone tries to make it do more than it's really meant to do. Want to type a letter? Word is great, but it's an utter pain in the ass for anything with complex formatting.

I guess one of these days I need to learn Latek.
>>
>>47760082
Office is only bad if you have no idea on how to use it. To the average user who just picks it up with no training, it seems no better than Libre. To someone who actually uses the full feature set, there's no subtitute (at the currrent time). I'll admit that I fall into the former group, but I've seen Office power users in action and witnessed countless powerful features I didn't even know existed.
>>
>>47760104
Trying complex formatting on Word.
Not using Lyx or any Latex processor.
Right tool for the right job.
>>
>>47759976
>AD
Which alternatives are you referring to? How does AD perform better?
>>
>>47760124
>Right tool for the right job.
Exactly. Problem is, everyone likes to use Office/Word for this shit and not the right tool, so I have to put up with it.
>>
>>47759950
>can't come up with a decent is

You literally have no idea. You ate up all the memes
>>
>>47760124

Where are the meme arrows? Did you type it in LaTeX and it doesn't have meme arrow support?
>>
>>47760123
>word
latex is orders of magnitude better in every possible way
>powerpoint
lol
>excel
good
>outlook
thunderbird for email, phone/google services for calender/contacts/etc
>>
>>47760104
Learn LaTeX now, it takes an afternoon to learn what you need to make basic documents, and less than a week (including the time spent working on the documents) before you're fully proficient in all the important features. Assuming you're not retarded it should only take a few days of "slow" (looking things up) use before you're up to speed.
>>
>>47760104
don't you mean \LaTeX?
>>
>>47759950
>All Metro-themed programs are "outstanding"

You're the one who posted shit on windows 10 getting aero and calling it a bad idea aren't you?
Metro is the shittiest design style I've ever seen.
Even Windows XP's Fischer Price shit was better.
Fuck your Metro faggotry and fuck you. Go die in a fire and the world will be a better place.
>>
>>47760179
ebin
>>
>>47760096
>The main reason Windows sucks involves business decisions (e.g. maintaining full backwards compatibility and so on)
Oh come on, you have to admit it's cool as fuck that you can actually upgrade a Windows 1.0 installation up to Windows 8.1.
>>
>>47760179
It's nice to see I can trigger yout autism with just a UI design.
>>
File: you.jpg (51 KB, 500x513) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
51 KB, 500x513
>>47759963
>>
>>47760169
>word
>latex is orders of magnitude better in every possible way
Oh I agree when it comes to formatting, LaTeX is better (I use it for all my documents personally because I'm an engineer) but Word does a lot more than just format documents.

There's a lot of tools for doing things like exchanging data with excel (and other Office software), collaborative document writing, interactive reviewing and more (and those aren't even the power features).

Yes, you can mail merge in LaTeX, but the experience isn't pleasant. You shouldn't have to be a programmer to perform basic functions like that.

>powerpoint
Integration with Excel and Word alone makes Powerpoint useful. It's slightly more refined than the open source alternatives too, but there's no significant advantage, I agree.

>excel
The main complaint I can give is the use of VBA for scripting. Would love the option to use a different language, since I hate the syntax.

>OneNote
Often overlooked, although I don't blame people for doing so. It's a really well designed note taking application, but it's not relevant to all users of office software suites.
>>
>>47760285
The VBA IDE is real shit, i would also love to see another language support like python.
>>
>>47760285
every time i've tried to use onenote for studying or taking notes in lecture i feel like i'm not learning anything at all and wasting my time.

for some reason handwriting notes--that i can't even read afterwards because of how poor my handwriting is--seems much more effective.
>>
>>47760169
I suppose I'll ask this here.

My mom has a insanely large .pst file for outlook. (18 gigs!).
The result of a solid decade + of frequent emails.

She wants to do incremental backups with it, but right now that just copies the entire file whenever it changes, which is everytime.

I'm seeing if I can move her over to thunderbird, because it A, stores the emails in plaintext, and B, stores them with one database per folder, so it isn't monolithic.
Problem is importing a massive .pst isn't easy.

Wondering what the best way to do this is, or if there's a good alternative for backing up outlook incrementally properly.
(I'm planning on using ZFS snapshots, so plaintext will work really nicely, and I imagine that .pst will not work well at all with zfs snapshots, although if anyone has experience to the counter, I'd love to hear it, it'd save me some trouble. )
>>
>>47759963
Why are NEETs so loud?
>>
>>47760342
I like org mode for notes I can read.

I tend to hand/write then transcribe to org.
>>
>>47760369
not as loud as M$ shills obviously :^)
>>
>>47759974
Right.....
>>
>>47760382
Something tells me you don't have a job.
>>
>>47760355
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files
>>
>>47760394
Well, being employed as a shill is better than nothing in this economy I guess.
>>
>>47760382
Linux users are the vocal minority
>>
>>47759974
clearly you never had a job before.
>>
>>47760425
Last time their was a poll, they were the majority.
This was a few years ago though.
>>
>>47760417
That's what I've been trying, but it seems to miss a large portion of her emails in outlook, which is weird.

outlook has an export per folder option that I was planning on looking at.

Oh, fun thing, thunderbird ran up against the 255 character limit when importing, I had to change where it stored email data to avoid that.
>>
>>47760427

Depends.

Computer Science fields tend to stray away from using doc, I think I've only ever received plaintext/pdfs.

also, britian is moving to ODF/HTML/nondoc formats.
>>
>>47760473
nobody relevant shares documents in doc(x)
it's always pdf for me
>>
>>47760484
In my experience, the more likely someone is to work with proprietary formats in general, IE, mech engies with CAD programs, the more likely they are to use a proprietary doc format.
>>
>>47760484
I took a horrible online programming class one time and every assignment was in .docx format. It was atrocious.
>>
File: wowstopliving.jpg (42 KB, 361x577) Image search: [Google]
wowstopliving.jpg
42 KB, 361x577
>anything m$
>ever
>>
>>47760177
Fuck you.
Everyone thinks we're elitist picks when wet do that.
Granted, we are, but nobody will join us if we do that.
>>47760205
Also cool to bring a debian buzz all the way to Jessie. Or maybe even Sid.
I keep a floppy with debian etch for whenever I adopt Pentium era dinosaurs, and then just
> vim /etc/apt/sources.list
> apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
> reboot
And it works. I love it. Like rescuing handicapped puppies. Heart warming
>>
>>47760007
I use Sublime on GNU/Linux, but VS is obviously better for everything .NET than other software. The UX is flawless.
>>
>>47759950
>Why MS makes outstanding programs like the Office suite, Visual Studio, Active Directory, Exchange, etc.
What? MS software is BTFO by people who
>do it for free
The only thing they have going for them is James Mickens.
>>
>>47760127
There isn't any alternatives, you can however hack together a bespoke solution involving Puppet, OpenLDAP etc.
>>
>>47759950
>Using software you didn't program on an OS you didn't program
Feel free to quit breathing whenever.
>>
>>47759963
FYI those are some of the finest apps ever made.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.