[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ham Radio General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: IMG_20150425_131019212.jpg (2 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150425_131019212.jpg
2 MB, 4320x2432
Hey /g/. Post your ham stuffs here. Post your ham questions here. You know how these general threads work.

I just got a Kenwood TS-820S. Just got to get the thing grounded and hang up a dipole.

WD4KOL
>>
Ham is kill. WW3 is a lie, like cake.
>>
>>47689682
this thread won't go anywhere as /g/ is consumer cancer and doesn't understand anything besides the specs on the new ishit
>>
>>47689808
Well it's worth a try...
>>
>>47689845
here, at least start off the thread with this next time
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
>>
File: Allie Conti.jpg (60 KB, 699x665) Image search: [Google]
Allie Conti.jpg
60 KB, 699x665
>>47689682
> ham radi
>not 1970
Can I ask why?
>>
>>47689682
Not a ham but I am an SWL, I do most of my listening either on the Twente WebSDR or on my Tecsun PL-660 receiver here in New York.
>>
I am interested in radio transmitters/recievers and shit, dunno much though.

Any good places i can read up?
>>
I'm actually really interested in trying out ham. I live in a city apartment and lost access to the roof. I'm also on a student budget. Would CB be a good low-budget start? I've used hamsphere and liked it quite a bit, but the thing about ham that interests me the most is that it doesn't require internet. It's nice to have an alternative when ones entire communication is either in person or relies on the internet...
>>
I got a baofeng ham radio and read up on the test and passed the test test, but fuck getting a license, all these HAMs are autistic as fuck, they are the original neckbeards before 4chan was even a thing, before the internet was even a thing.

It's a next level version of muh secrit club where even cursing on the air will make a million buttflustered HAMs report you to the FCC, they'll report you the instant you break any of the rules.

All you ever hear on the radio is hams talking about their ham equipment or talking about the weather, that's it.
>>
>>47692720
CB=/= ham radio. But it just depends on what you want to do

If you want to start, get a baofeng or a RTLSDR, they are cheap and they work great.
>>
File: Le_happy_merchant.gif (12 KB, 504x566) Image search: [Google]
Le_happy_merchant.gif
12 KB, 504x566
Remember goys, don't transmit any encrypted information, and don't start any mesh networks!
>>
>>47693023

>It's a next level version of muh secrit club where even cursing on the air will make a million buttflustered HAMs report you to the FCC, they'll report you the instant you break any of the rules.

You are everything wrong with the world, you little fucking maggot. There are simple protocols at work, honed over generations and decades: it's called common decency and courtesy, and honor amongst Ham radio operators.

No sense being a fucking dick about it, you punk. If I could find your parents I'd basically shitcan both of 'em for not raising you better.
>>
>>47693023
The fuck are they going to do, bust into your house and stop you from transmitting anything? I'll admit I don't really have any grasp on how ham works with community and rules, but what can they really do?

>>47693519
I can't even tell if this is bait or not
>>
>>47693581
yes the FCC will shut you down or fine you.
>>
>>47693581
>The fuck are they going to do, bust into your house and stop you from transmitting anything? I'll admit I don't really have any grasp on how ham works with community and rules, but what can they really do?

Any time you broadcast you have to announce your call sign at the beginning of your transmission and every 10 minutes after, your callsign is your home address and full name.
>>
>>47693841
also, these guys are so autistic that they are waiting for you to announce your call sign, then the second you do they look it up in the database and call you by your first name.

Every single time you transmit you're doxing yourself, and if you fuck up once they will report you, the autism levels are off the chart.
>>
>>47693869
Well that's only mildly horrifying.

But the overall concept is still appealing. Are there any less autistic alternatives or anything? I've only ever heard of HAM.
>>
>>47693911

>been doxing myself for 20 years
>itsnothing.jpg

If you're interested in radio as a hobby, ham radio is a logical choice.
>>
>>47689682
>buy van
>cram HAM radio in van
>repeat the word nigger into it over and over again while driving around town

What are you gonna do about it faggot?
>>
>>47694056
Hams could figure out out what part of your city you're in. If they can find an exact address (these autists typically do) they hand it over to the government and they'll go after you for as much as you're worth. Also a mobile rig an't gonna do shit that anyone outside your area cares about.
>>
>>47694115
>Hams could figure out out what part of your city you're in
How accurate?

>If they can find an exact address (these autists typically do)
I don't see how, it's not like my voice is tied to my address.
>>
Sadly these threads don't last long in /g/, but if you're interested head over to /diy/ and there is usually one or two.

Don't let the autists and sick elderly people scare you off from a really fun electronics hobby. If you have any interest in hardware at all, this is a great place to jump in.
>>
>>47694115
They can't find you if you keep moving, that's the whole point of van.

>>47694152
>How accurate?
They have direction finding equipment, if you keep transmitting from the same location eventually they will track you down, it's pretty accurate too they can find your house if you're not smart about it.
>>
>>47694152
When you broadcast, it is easy to triangulate your position. This can actually be great fun (fox hunting) and useful (aprs tracking). Also, the FCC requires you to identify yourself every few minutes just like FM radios do, and the call sign database (and your PII within) is public.
>>
>>47694152
Some old farts (like 10 of them?) were able to locate a guy in my state-- full address, even room where his radio was housed. FCC raped him.

>>47694194
They could locate the general location they travel, and send someone out to watch for you. A van with ham radio gear is easy to spot if you know exactly where to look. After that they're going to make an example out of you.
>>
File: S2_20150325_081402.png (164 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
S2_20150325_081402.png
164 KB, 320x256
Any good SSTV frequencies?
>>
>>47694251
>Some old farts (like 10 of them?) were able to locate a guy in my state-- full address, even room where his radio was housed. FCC raped him.
What did he do? Transmitting without a license?
>>
>guy tries to talk about HAM radio
>thread devolves into a series of hypothetical situations where HAM operators are all "autists"

Maybe try /diy/ OP
>>
Hamsters sound creepy.
>>
>>47693440
That's why I don't bother getting HAM gear. If I could set up a point to point radio link on HAM frequencies to get internet out to the boonies, I'd do it, but since I can't, fuck it.
>>
>>47694301
Transmitted on military bands.
Transmitted obscenities.
Transmitted on bands outside the range of his license. He had tech class.
Didn't stop when asked politely to.

I'm too young I guess to relate to these guys. I'm only in it for the hardware/when someone gets their shit kicked in.
>>
>>47694449
Playing with the RF spectrum isn't like playing around on the internet. There are actual consequences for fucking around
>>
>>47694498
vry srs
>>
>>47694251
>Some old farts (like 10 of them?) were able to locate a guy in my state-- full address, even room where his radio was housed. FCC raped him.
>implying this would help at all if the rig moved
>>
I got interested in it while I was working on the HFGCS in the Air Force, but I can't really get serious doing it as a hobby until I separate and settle down.
>>
>>47694533

HAM operators run the repeaters, so it's trivial to triangulate your location.
>>
>>47694115
>>47694251
>>47694449
Glad i don't live in the united cucks of america, in Eeastern Yuro they'd be beaten up for being sissy cuck gubmint snitches

fuck da bolis yo.
>>
>>47695209
>>47695209
Umm, I'm not sure if you're actually a ham, because hams have this kind of thing going on. No matter where they are, they act very similarly. Even in Eastern Europe, it still isn't appreciated when you break the rules.

Hams don't see borders.
>>
>>47696840
You can pick up transmissions from great distances right?
>>
First time I heard of this Baofeng stuff, I have a RTLSDR (thank to /g/) and am making a discone attenna for it. Is BaoFeng UV-5R Plus a good choice?
>>
>>47694265
14.230. EU stations like to send pr0n
>>
Why does it require a license? Is it a good reason?
>>
>>47695209
Meh it's what ever. They're actually really cool guys if you work under them. They're really big on mentoring/teaching people electronics. I'm only 21 so I just can't relate to these guys on the air for most convos. But they're always more than happy to help me when I'm building/working on something. Just respect their rules anon. Do you REALLY need to be a cunt EVERYWHERE?
>>
>>47697351
My point entirely. They think because they're entitled to be trolls on the internet they can be trolls everywhere.
This thread is just a crazy testament to the separation of the old generations and the "internet generation"
>>
>>47697351
>>47697380
Everywhere must be like 4chan. No rules niggerfaggots.
>>
>>47697337

The HF band is used by .mil, aviation, maritime, and emergency services.

If FCC didn't license as they do and the amateurs didn't self-police as well as they do, people would be jamming legitimate transmissions left and right.
>>
File: escapefromautism.jpg (117 KB, 410x260) Image search: [Google]
escapefromautism.jpg
117 KB, 410x260
Ham radio has many sub-interests like the Chins have boards. From vhf-uhf shack-on-a-belt folks to satellite and digital experimenters. We work in tech. We're cops, we're lawyers, young hipsters in startups to grumpy old retired fossils. Me? It's my escape from the autistic world. Talking to my peeps in Morse code after the wife and kiddies have gone to bed.
>>
>>47697661
>has babby's first license
>posts his callsign on a german wood etching board
>>
File: babby.jpg (19 KB, 385x383) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
19 KB, 385x383
>general class
You don't even have to do code anymore to get extra. This just means you are retarded and can't do high school math.
>>
Amateur radio is an old man's club full of autists that predate the internet.
If these people were born 30 years later, they would be sitting in IRC chatrooms today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWE7FrVY9T4
>>
>get licenced
>receive callsign
>name, address and all relevant information is now on a public government website for easy doxing
>>
>>47689682
>WD4KOL
Brave of you to post your call on 4chan.

I've got a Yaesu FT-857, for misc HF stuff and 2m. HF for me though is mostly limited to when I get the opportunity to put up a good antenna. I've also got a Baofeng UV-5R.
>>
File: Capture.png (22 KB, 537x487) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
22 KB, 537x487
>>47689682
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.