[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What ISP do you use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: 423.png (110 KB, 1278x341) Image search: [Google]
423.png
110 KB, 1278x341
What ISP do you use?
>>
Cox Communications. Not that I have a choice where I live, but 130mbps for ~60 isn't bad.
>>
>>47666149
Time Warner Cable
>>
>>47666149
AT&T, sadly.
>>
>implying we have choices
the issue with ISP's and most tech in general is that it's really difficult to compete with ISPs or processor manufacturers or weapons researchers is that it requires an IMMENSE amount of infrastructure. So mergers like these are completely irreversible. Options can only decrease, and without competition, these people will be happy to (and have already) fuck us over.
>>
>>47666149
AT&T, I used to have Comcast but they were fucking dogshit with constant disconnects and slow speeds.

I'm pretty satisfied with the U-verse service that AT&T offers here, I get decent TV/Internet/and Mobile from them.
>>
Comcast master race here
>>
Comcast.

I don't hate it.
>>
Spark in New Zealand have roughly 49 percent of broadband customers, they don't own the last mile infrastructure though.
>>
>>47666199
There's literally nothing with AT&T.
>>
>>47666149
Cocks

it's ok I guess.
>>
>>47666368
Nothing wrong*
>>
How is AT&T's speed in contrast to Time Warner?
>>
Comcast. I've had their service for 10 years and it's been great. Service has been extremely reliable. Currently paying for 50mbps but actually getting 60mbps.
>>
Verizon FiOS, it's the fastest service in my area but $136 / mo for next-to-bottom tier cable package and 35/35 Mbit internet is a bit steep.....
>>
>>47666149
WoW!
That's the provider's name. They have a monopoly in my town. 20Mb/s internet + basic cable is $140/month. And they're constantly adding small fees each month. I call them and they say something like "We have to start charging more for the sports channels." Even though they force you to buy the sports channels.
>>
Fios 50/50 but its higher during speedtest.
>>
Why can't I hold all these shills?
>>
Comcast

Been with them for a few months, had to call up customer support 1-2 times a month for shit. Their accounts system sucks (they still don't have the right address in my account and accidentally gave me two accounts) but other than that they've been better than I was expecting. I think they must have improved their customer service system over the last couple years after the barrage of terrible press they were getting.

The worst ISP I've ever had was Charter. Lived in a house that had a bad signal coming in from the street that caused the internet to go down at random times throughout the day, to the point that you had a 50/50 chance of having internet when you tried to get on. They never fixed it. Had guys come out at least a half dozen times, none of them did shit. Had to live like that for years.
>>
Bell, it's ok I guess
>>
File: seriously2.jpg (23 KB, 243x246) Image search: [Google]
seriously2.jpg
23 KB, 243x246
>>47666599
>2015
>still subscribing to cable
You're on /g/, surely you know how to pirate.
>>
Charter.
They're pretty much the only ones out here.
Shit pricing though.
>>
>>47666644
Yeah, but honestly it's nice to just be able to turn on the TV and not have to really browse for hours to find something I feel like watching.
>>
Telstra cable
>>
>>47666669
Pls tell watch you watch on American cable
>>
>>47666666

get
>>
Cablevision. fucking sucks. Live at home and family currently using the "free" router you get from them that doesn't even have built-in admin controls. I have to call tech support if I want to even open a port.

Right now we're on the basic plan which gets us 25D/5U (only get 15-17D) but for $5 more a month we can get 50D/10U.
>>
The one that gets banned here for no particular reason.
>>
>>47666669
My last apartment forced me to buy cable as part of my lease. Had like 400 channels, and more often than not I couldn't find anything worth watching. All I can say is thank fuck for piracy.

If you just want the convenience of being able to turn on your TV and channel surf until you find something, convert an old PC into a media center. There's an XBMC add-on that reads in all your shows and creates fake TV channels with them that you can flip through.
>>
>>47666727
Why not buy a router? Should be an easy sell to your folks once you show them that the thing will pay for itself within a year. If they're too cheap to pay $5 more to double their speeds, then surely they'll want to avoid the $5-10 equipment rental fee.
>>
>>47666770
>Why not buy a router?
I had a $140 Netgear AC1500 router installed for awhile but when they saw some packet drops they switched to the ISP model.

>If they're too cheap to pay $5 more to double their speeds...
oh no, they intend to get the upgrade

>$5-10 equipment rental fee.
dont think there is one
>>
>>47666727

the fuck

if you've got an old pc lying around, buy a nic card and run your own router through pfsense, I learned more about the internet in a week of setting up pfsense than I have in my whole life, never want to buy a router again after all these options and the added learning experience is just a bonus.

alternatively mikrotik makes awesome routers and are pretty cheap with a ton of controls
>>
>>47666804
Not him but while that looks like a fun project, it seems like massive overkill to dedicate a tower to being a home router. Think of the noise, physical space, and power consumption compared to a normal, off-the-shelf router.
>>
File: 1428007461512.jpg (97 KB, 370x463) Image search: [Google]
1428007461512.jpg
97 KB, 370x463
>Comcast
>download the new Dragonball game for PC
>the letter comes three minutes after

Fucking hell.
>>
>>47666859

yeah, it doesn't just werk

sorry m8, went full passive-aggressive bitchy nerd there, hard to complain about a free router anyway.

I'm on comcast but only because they and AT&T have a monopoly, AT&T doesn't look too terrible outside of the data cap, I stream and download everything so that would be a pretty big issue. Feels pointless to pay for high speeds if you will be penalized for using it, the moment comcast implements something like that is the moment I jump ship and try to find another option
>>
>>47666894
ignore.
>>
>>47666770
>equipment rental fee

What shitty third world country do you live in? Here in the first world, an ISP gives you a free router with your internet subscription and you return it if you ever leave that ISP.
>>
>>47666149
botnet fiber

Lesser (and better) of two evils
>>
>>47666894
>being retarded enough to use public trackers

You deserve whatever happens.
>>
>>47666666
>>
>>47666921
Here in burgerland people are generally charged a monthly "rental fee" for cable set-top boxes and routers, usually in the $5-$15 / month range for each device. It's a gigantic ripoff, like everything else related to cable, internet, and cellular phone service is in this country.
>>
>>47666911
>yeah, it doesn't just werk
What? I said it sounds like a fun project which is the exact opposite of complaining about something not just werking. The reason I said it doesn't sound like a viable idea is because a PC is going to consume a lot more electricity than a normal router, take up a lot more space, and make a lot more noise.
>>
File: SNyi5HV.jpg (304 KB, 1280x848) Image search: [Google]
SNyi5HV.jpg
304 KB, 1280x848
>>47666149
>What ISP do you use?
Bahnhof.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.