[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
alright /g/, i need a new phone. i've had my galaxy s3 since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5
File: htc-one-m9_silver_right.jpg (342 KB, 3000x2214) Image search: [Google]
htc-one-m9_silver_right.jpg
342 KB, 3000x2214
alright /g/, i need a new phone.
i've had my galaxy s3 since it came out and i think its time for me to get a new handset, my s3 is getting slow and boring.
i'm highly considering buying the HTC One M9, it looks appealing to me and seems like it can do everything i need out of it.
why shouldn't i buy the M9? convince me not to buy it.
>>
>>47658178
It's not waterproof, otherwise it's fine.
Pretty much all flagships are amazing phones, it's very hard to go wrong.
>>
>>47658178
the s6 is sexier and has amoled.
>>
>>47658194
the manufacturer doesn't say its waterproof but i've seen a couple of youtube videos that test it and they survive for like 20 minutes in water, which is rather interesting considering its not waterproof. (i dont really have the intention of dipping my new phone in water, or any phone for that matter)
other than that, why shouldn't i get it?
>>
The M9's camera is shit.
>>
>>47658199
the s6 doesnt have an SD card slot, which i find very necessary.
also, the looks of the s6 is not as appealing to me as the m9, it seems like it picks up every single fingerprint... makes me feel like touching it is a crime.
why should amoled convince me to buy the s6 instead of the m9? is it that big of a difference?
>>
>>47658178
Unless you think freedom is overrated or useless, build your own phone,
>>
>>47658222
yeah i've read a lot about that and seen samples, and to be honest i'm not the biggest facebook poster nor do i snapchat or use instagram, i take 2 pictures a week at max, so the camera isnt such a big factor for me, besides i've read they released an update thats supposed to help (and still i'm not such a big camera phone person)
>>
>>47658270
what are you suggesting by that? are you saying m9 owners are not free to do whatever they want with their device? whats restricted?
and how would i go about building my own phone?
>>
>>47658254
>why should amoled convince me to buy the s6 instead of the m9? is it that big of a difference?
Your S3 has amoled. It's blacks are black, otherwise IPS has a glow-in-the-dark type of deal going on.
I cant defend samsung for not including an sd card slot so fuck that noise.

I dont know about fingerprints though, It's oleophobic but not for long.

It also has the faster processor , but i have no idea if that matters or not, assume it does though.
>>
>>47658178

Here's something to consider OP.

I had an HTC One M7 for 2 years and recently replaced it with a N6, but honestly? I feel like I should've gotten an M9.

TRIGGER WARNING: muh premium feels coming in
No other phone simply feels like an HTC One does, I miss holding it in my hand and it just feeling robust and well made. Every time you picked it up after a period of non use and it was just this nice cold metal feel. It's honestly hard to describe how nice the phone felt to use.

But if you don't care about how a phone feels in your hand just get a Nexus 6/SGS6/LG G4
If you do care, what your phone feels like, nothing will beat the M9.

Another bonus is that HTC phones have amazing developer support.
>>
>>47658318
aah, i see what you're saying, i suppose that saves on battery life as well. however i still dont see it as a reason to go for the s6 over the m9.
i brought up the fingerprint since i noticed them in many youtube videos and that got me worried... its nice to have a shiny glossy phone but whats the point if its going to get covered with fingerprints everytime you pick it up.
my S3 still runs most of the apps i need it to run with it's processor and its ancient. but does the processing power difference between the m9 and the s6 really that big to the point where it'll make me change my mind?
>>47658343
EXACTLY! i picked up my friend's M7 yesterday for the first time and it felt amazing! so well built and felt good in the hand, fit my hand pefrectly and that is really appealing to me, plus i think its the best looking smartphone of 2015 (personal opinion).

I really cant see any reason as to why not to get the M9... i'm still thinking and i need some realistic issues with the device (that apply to me and my needs)
what else friends?
>>
>>47658480

The only point I can think of is that it isn't a massive upgrade over an M8, so if you can get an M8 for a good price get that instead.

Otherwise go for it.
>>
>>47658546
Not OP but I'm in a similar situation and the M9 is only $50 more than the M8, it seems to make more sense to get the latest flagship for that extra price.

But I'm someone who will never buy a used phone.
>>
>>47658556

If that's the price difference then get an M9.
>>
I held one in my hand the other day and I find it has an odd height to width ratio; it's tall, but not very wide. Also it was the only phone they had on display that was actually warm for some reason. And that in standby.
>>
>>47658556
>>47658580
well said!
>>
>>47658625
yeah, its relatively a tall phone (which i dont really mind to be honest)
but i've read also that it had a heat issue becuase of the snapdragon 810 but they fixed it with an update, wasnt that the case?
>>
>>47658625

M7 owner here
In deep sleep it turns icecold
In regular sleep it stays nice and cozy for a winters day :3

Seriously the metal body is nice in the winter when you have cold hands as the heat spreads evenly, when it's cold out I just grab my phone and play a youtube video for that warmth.
>>
>using boring as an argument

Your new phone is going to be boring in a week, don't waste your money on toys.
>>
>>47658650

All HTC One's get prewarm, It's not going to overheat but it'll be warm to the touch (it's an entirely metal body).
>>
>>47658669
this is a great thing to point out, especially for someone who lives in a cold region.
>>47658687
alright, my S3 is quite beat up and used to hell and back. its slow as hell and it sometimes freezes for 5 minutes, then goes back to normal as if nothing happened.
>>47658690
thats understandable, i dont see it as a negative though.
>>
>>47658726
Looks like it needs a software update, I'm telling you this because I was in the same situation. Ended up flashing slim rom on my s3 and its a lot better and I didn't waste $600 on something that will do the same job.
>>
I have the m9 and love that the developer community is extremely fast to respond. The phone had root , unlocked botloader and s off within 3 weeks of being out. For me, a phone should have longevity, I don't see samshit being worth it.
I mean no sd card, WTF Samsung, you had one job.
Also don't take the bs about the processor. I am switching games between youtubes and clover flawlessly.
>>
>>47658750
i actually have it running on CM11.
i really dont see it as a waste since i will be keeping that phone for another 3 years, and i'll be keeping my s3 as a backup device incase my new one breaks or something, or might as well give it to my little brother to have fun with.
>>47658757
very interesting, thank you VERY much for a real insight.
i've got a couple of questions though, is the camer THAT bad? (not that it must be the best, but i dont want a potato strapped to my new phone).
also, how good does it sound? i listen to music on my phone in the morning while getting ready for work, as well as watching youtube videos and whatnot, i'd like your insight on that.
and last, is there somwthing you regret/dont like about it? even if it is ever so slight?
>>
Is the M8's camera really that bad?
>>
>>47658884
Not him but M9 owner here:
Audio both through headphones and speakers is better than any other phone hands down.
Camera is fine if you like taking pics and uploading em to instagram/facebook and the front facing cam is excellent in low light (if it's dark I use the front facing cam for pictures).
>>
GS6 Edge > Note 4 Edge >S6 > Note 4 > LG G4 > Z3 > M9
>>
File: 1410483594725.jpg (25 KB, 500x340) Image search: [Google]
1410483594725.jpg
25 KB, 500x340
>>47658998

>S6 edge over S6
>>
The camera is good from what I used on a friend's phone.
>>
>>47658217
I use my m8 h/k edition in the shower and it hasn't hurt it yet. I love this phone, I'll probably keep it until it shits out.
>>
Clover responds are shot.

The camera is OK. Front facing is good. The 20mp bs is overrated. It is adequate. Also the speakers are very good. YouTube and music is loud and clear. Stock sense rooted is a godsend. Cm is not worth the sacrifice. Also I regret only a removable battery. But, it doesn't die like the s6 my buddy has. Rapid charging or not, the m9 is very nice.

I have had all the ones. M7, m8 and this phone. They have at least kept customer request. The sd card is a neccessity. Hope I helped a little.
>>
>>47658997
>>47659053
>>47659090
thank you all for your great help, i have my decision and will be getting the M9 soon i hope.
again, thank you very much for your helpful insight.
>>
File: 042stalker.jpg (27 KB, 400x288) Image search: [Google]
042stalker.jpg
27 KB, 400x288
>$650 unlocked
>>
>>47659405
>>47658178

Which carrier is it?
>>
I noticed something recently about my One M8 (And probably the One M9) is that the headphone amp can get overloaded and cause popping sounds from frequencies around 20-80hz. I noticed that in the 5.0 update HTC tried to cover it up by limiting the amplifier (which now seems to cause bass clipping)
You probably won't notice this unless you EQ quite a bit but still.. and no it's not digital clipping.
>>
>>47658270
RMS pls go
the hippie movement is long dead, get with the times
>>
>>47659623
I say One M9 too because I'm sure HTC reused the cheapo amplifier part they used on the M8.

If anyone with an M9 could do me a favor and listen to The Dead Next Door by Billy Idol on max volume and tell me if they hear little popping sounds during the long bass sounds that'd be great.
>>
>>47658178
Wait for the Xperia Z5
>snapdragon 820 over the awful 810
>4gb ram likely
>better battery
>better camera
>better software
>>
>>47659678

>cheapo amplifier
>literally best in class audio
>>
>>47659748
Not waiting for the Z6 with sd 830, 5gb gddr5 ram, even better battery, even better camera and even better software
>>
>>47659622
no carrier, im gonna buy it unlocked.
>>
>>47659984
who are you going with then?
>>
>>47659997
Pelephone, why?
>>
>>47659984
Be careful putting the sim card in it
>>
Because M8 is better
>unibody
>can be flashed into gpe
>cheaper
The only thing m9 has going for it is faster processor but who really cares at thispoint?
>>
>>47660077
why so?
>>
Wait for the Z5
>>
>>47660110
I got interested in it and checked out some reviews and camera pic comparisons and it seems god awful, the camera that is. Kind of a shame.
>>
>>47658282
The M9 is also known to overheat easily. My best recommendation would be the LG G4 if you can spend that kind of money, or a G3 if you can't or don't want to spend like 700-800 dollars, which is the G4's rumoured price.
>>
>>47660139
Both are shit. But for gemeral use its fine. I have an M8, but I bring my Nikon when I travel so really its just fine for Snapchat and instaram and all that shit.
>>
>>47660160

>The M9 is also known to overheat easily.

RETARD ALERT
M9 doesn't overheat, overheat means failure. It never fails.
>>
>>47660057
>>47660057
is that some uk thing?
>>
>>47660487
>smartphones never fail
>>
>>47660139

HTC One M8s.

Different camera, different CPU, bigger battery.
>>
>>47660501

Context is hard isn't it.
>>
>>47660544
But your dick isn't
>>
>new unlocked m8s are completely sold out
well fuck.
>>
>>47660499
Israeli actually.
>>
>>47660110
I have been seriously considering getting an M8. Currently have a G3 and its alright, but I really hate the stock ROM and AOSP ROMS all have bugs. Can any M8 be turned into a GPE after root? Does it function just like a nexus, as in everything works ?
>>
>>47661215

Yes.
>>
>>47661215
>I have been seriously considering getting an M8
unlocked? like i said early you can't find them. unless you were going to get a developer edition, no idea what that entails though.
>>
>>47662719

Developer edition just comes with an unlocked bootloader from the start, so you don't have to unlock it yourself.
>>
>>47662745
don't unlocked versions come pre unlocked anyways?
>>
>>47662761

No, you have to unlock them on the HTC website which takes like 3 minutes.
>>
>>47662773
oh, i was talking about smartphones in general.

just checked amazon, no new developer editions are available either.
>>
File: 2000590154.jpg (62 KB, 610x374) Image search: [Google]
2000590154.jpg
62 KB, 610x374
>>47658178
if you want a 55 celcius phone while doing simple apps in your hands then buy it

also the update that prevents this lowers the firmware and graphics
>>
>>47658178
Camera sucks ass, snapdragon 810, sense.
>>
>>47662806

Only very few companies even allow you to unlock the bootloader period, meaning developers have to find some way to crack it.

HTC is one of the few to let you unlock it through official channels.

Carrier unlocked has nothing to do with bootloader unlock.
>>
>>47662835
>bootloader unlock.
that's to do with rooting right? are developer editions carrier unlocked?
>>
>>47662849
S-off=!rooting
http://www.androidbeat.com/2014/07/s-htc-device-mean/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-kPOYKudc
>>
>>47662886
thanks, i'll check those links out.
>>
>>47662849

Developer editions are bootloader unlocked and usually (but not always) carrier unlocked.

Bootloader access makes rooting easier, but it's mostly used so you can replace the whole OS with another version (aka custom ROMs) not made by HTC themselves.
>>
>>47662886

S-OFF has nothing to do with unlocked bootloader, why would you even bring that up?

>>47662822
>while doing simply apps
More like after running multiple benchmarks.
>>
>>47662939
>>47662914
Okay that is what I meant
http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader
>>
>>47662914
>>47662955
wow, that's pretty cool of htc to allow that.
>>
>>47660873
haven fun, don't spend too many of mommy's shekels
>>
Posting from my new Note 4, upgraded from HTC One. QHD display is rest so far
>>
>>47658178
Get a htc one m8, that's a really good phone

All the reviews I've seen about the M9 have been bad so far.

The screen is objectively worse than in the M8, the snapdragon 810 is a disaster and the battery life is also worse than in the M8.
>>
>>47663491
>Get a htc one m8, that's a really good phone
literally where from
>>
File: saygus-v2-press.jpg (101 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
saygus-v2-press.jpg
101 KB, 800x600
I'd keep an eye on the Saygus V2:
>Removable 3100mAh battery
>Two micro SD slots
>Waterproof
>Kevlar body
>21MP OIS back cam
>13 MP OIS front cam
>Same width as M7

It's not out for a month, so they might fuck it up in some way, but worth keeping an eye on.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.