[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
self checkout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
>2015
>self checkout has been around for years
>still buggy as fuck
>still needs an employee to stand near them

Do they make these faulty on purpose to give jobs to autists that can't even work a register?
>>
There's staff nearby to have half a chance of spotting thieving chancers. Never had trouble with self-checkouts myself.
>>
>>47635041
PLEASE PLACE YOUR ITEM IN THE BAG.
>>
>>47635058
its always a problem with the user, not the machine. OP is just a retard
>>
The employee is there to help people with the scanners (produce can be a bitch to check out on those things), card people when they buy alcohol, and make sure no one steals anything.
>>
>>47635041
There's still a massive amount of dumb niggers who go through with huge items that are totally impractical for self checkout or a cart of 50+ items who basically need a full checkout employee anyways. And old people who have no idea what's going on.
>>
>>47635122
I thought so too but they never seem smart enough to even do that much.
>>
>Be me a few weeks ago
>At Walmart
>Just want to buy a fucking Pepsi
>One register open, like 10 people in line
>All self-checkouts being used
>Self-checkout attendant just finished checking out a spic family with like 20 items
>Walk up and set down my Pepsi
>"I just need to buy this real quick"
>SORRY SIR YOU'LL HAVE TO GO TO A REGISTER
>...k
>Leave

I never got my Pepsi :(
>>
fuck some people on these thing. why does it take you SO LONG to do anything with it?
>>
>>47635041
most of the places around here got them when they first came out and are all pretty old tech now
>>
File: 1378169468905.jpg (4 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1378169468905.jpg
4 KB, 256x192
>>47635041
I tell you what. I use them all the time and gtfo pronto. But I see half of them clogged with morons that can't figure it out.
>>
>>47635041
>no need for employee to stand near them
And there goes all of your employment prospects /g/.
>>
>>47635217
I JUST WANTED A PEPSI AND SHE WOULDNT GIVE IT TO ME
>>
>>47635567
NO, YOU'RE ON DRUGS!
>>
Can't wait until something like RFID is cheap enough to embed in every product so there will be no more checkout. The store just charges your account when you walk out the door. Not sure how it would handle produce but most other things could be taken care of automatically.
>>
>>47635499
They're not that hard to use, they just lock up fast and needlessly
>>
>>47635567
go to a damn vending machine and stop bitching.
>>
Stealing with self checkout in ikea is easy as shit.

Just place huge items in carts and simply dont scan them all.
>>
>>47635732
But they check your receipt at the one I go to
>>
>>47635217
should have laughed in their face, and continued self-checking out.
>>
>>47635762
They dont do that here.

I always skip 3 most expensive items and just scan some few euro item twice.
>>
>>47635217
Wait why didn't they want you using self checkout?
>>
>>47635803
so he cant steal pepsi
>>
>>47635787
>>47635803
You misunderstood anons. I walked past the self-checkouts (which were all being used by people too dumb to figure them out, so I didn't want to wait just so I could buy one item) to the self-checkout attendant on duty. The attendant can ring up items at their little register if they're not feeling like being assholes. The attendant had just finished ringing up a large amount of items for a couple of customers. I figured that my single item wouldn't be a problem. It was, and the attendant told me to fuck right off.
>>
>>47635852
Oh I understand now. Ya the store I work at will do this. I've actually seen multiple times the attendant tell somebody to come to them if it's backed up and they have 1 or 2 things or something.
>>
They have the people there to stop thieves. I saw a guy pay for like one item and run off with 3 or 4 bags of shit. I've also seen people only scan one item and put a second in the bag. I'd say I see someone do something sketchy in the self checkout line almost once a week. I live in Baltimore, so it probably happens more here than other places. That seems to be the reason why the person is standing there watching everyone.
>>
>>47635873
Exactly. An attendant had done just that a couple of days before, so I figured it wasn't a problem. This one in particular just chose to be a cunt.
>>
>>47635217
>going to Walmart to buy a single Pepsi

Hey guys look at this retard
>>
>>47635081
UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA
>>
>>47635915
PLEASE WAIT FOR ATTENDENT
>>
>>47635894
Small town, get off work at midnight, don't want to pay twice the price at a gas station for a drink.

Try harder.
>>
Being a self checkout attendant is my job

Ask me anything
>>
>>47635937
what store?
>>
>>47635937
How many times have you repeated 5th grade?
>>
You realize that one employee can cover 4-6 self-checkout stations right? If anything they're taking away 3-5 autists' jobs. The employee is there for a large number of reasons, the least of which is the machines being "faulty."

I always self checkout, never had an issue.
>>
>>47635217
>>47635852
Dude was probably pissed the spics walked right up and expected he scan a cartload of items at his tiny register when the self checkouts where already full of retards he had to babysit.
>>
>>47635937
Does the dildo come included like your uniform, or do you have to pay extra for it?
When your shift is over, does the store take and clean your dildo for you, or do you have to do that at home?
>>
>>47635041
PLEASE PLACE ITEM IN BAGGING AREA
>place item in bag
AN ATTENDANT WILL ASSIST YOU SHORTLY
>>
>>47635929
I'd pay twice the price just to not go to Walmart lol
>>
>>47635041

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxINJzqzn4w

>using self check

Good Goy.
>>
>>47635964
Actually the opposite. Attendant was apparently friends with the spics from the way they were talking and being friendly. Then some asshole white kid with his Pespi walks up and, yeah, FUCK that guy! To the lane with you!
>>
>>47636032
You know, I can't even argue with that anymore. That's what i've been doing lately.
>>
>>47636044
>enjoying standup unironically
i don't even get why people are laughing
nothing he's saying is funny
>>
>>47635942
Kroger

>>47635951
Never

>>47635967
Dildos are an optional accessory
>>
File: 132350647_11n.jpg (97 KB, 900x654) Image search: [Google]
132350647_11n.jpg
97 KB, 900x654
Why can't we order our groceries online yet?
Waiting in line in 2015 is bullshit.
I'm not getting any younger here.
>>
>>47636138
You can if you don't live in bumfuck nowhere.
>>
>>47636138
King Soopers does home delivery.
>>
>>47636138
You can
>>
>>47636138
You can order some foods online.
But it's a bit dumb to do that unless you're buying things in bulk.

I ordered all my bird food online for 2 years.(Only because no local store had what I wanted)
>>
>>47636138

Giant in Northern VA area has Peapod but they charge for delivery I think so fuck that. Amazon's doing that stupid click thing.

I'm on the verge of getting a 50cc moped for my 3AM 4 mile round trips to Kroger.
>>
>>47636138
>Not using AmazonFresh
Try not living in a poorfag city
>>
>>47636138
>not going to the grocery store checkout and getting 3 items and only scanning one thereby giving yourself a 66% discount
>rewarding laziness and greed
Kek
>>
>>47636148
>>47636150
>>47636152
>>47636154
>>47636159

What about a store where you buy your shit online and go pick it up when they've packed it?
It would speed things up so much and eliminate delivery fees.
>>
>>47636229
There actually plenty of places that do it.
>>
>>47635041
fucking manlets cant even use the self checkout properly
>>
>>47636229
Because it would be constantly full of shit people are gonna pick up "tomorrow, for sure"
>>
>>47636229

Considering the topic of the thread that would require the employment of a minimum wage worker that CLEARLY is already unwanted.

tl;dr Jews are Jews.
>>
>>47636229
They do pick if for you. It just costs more.
>Under delivery options click store pickup
>2015 not knowing this
>>
>>47636229
Seriously?
You can't walk in and grab what you need like a normal person?
What makes you so special?
Suck it up.
>>
>>47636252
They make you pay for your order right away so who gives a shit?
>>47636261
Obesity and autism
>>
>>47636255
>require the employment of a minimum wage worker
far less than a standard store, just enough people to help sort things into an automated system like postal delivery
>>
>>47636229
You'd still have to wait in line, since dozens of people will also be picking their shit up when you visit too.

Pretty pointless. May as well just get your shit in the store and check out.
>>
>>47636261
>/g/
>normal person

/g/ is hikki general, check your privilege, scum.
>>
>>47636261

I can't be the only one that hates wasting time at a store and dealing with retards.
>>
>>47636269
Because either the store gets rid of those items after x days and constantly has to deal with angry retards who storm in the day after demanding their items, or they keep them indefinitely and run out of space.
>>
File: 4LvyRfX.png (94 KB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
4LvyRfX.png
94 KB, 4000x4000
>>47636285

Then go to the 24/7 Wal-Mart or Kroger after 1 AM like every other NEET.

Unless you're some Good Goy faggot.

>tfw in and out of Wal-Mart in 5 minutes at 3 AM
>>
>>47636285
Yeah, nobody but you could possibly hate going to the store and waiting in line with other bleating automatons, just you.

You're not special, grow up.
>>
>>47636285
You deal with retards while driving.
You deal with retards at work.
You deal with retards on your off time.

Grow the fuck up snowflake shitter.
>>
>>47636299
Fuck going to walmart during the day, or god forbid at like 1pm on Saturday.

You can get everything you need in 20 min or less when there are very few people in the store.
>>
>>47636138
guess it varies from country to country, we do ~90% of our grocery shopping online, 2 deliveries a week. If I'm physically at tescos then I use scan as you shop.
>>
They're easy to use.

Staff is there for obvious reasons.

And when they aren't, your groceries are now half off, congrats
>>
>>47636292

>warning: you have 3 days to pick up or your order is cancelled

problem solved
what's next?
>>
>>47636292
Who the fuck cares? They just put it in their policy if you don't pick your order up at the nominated time we will destroy the items and your money will not be refunded.
>>
File: 1428806738027.jpg (25 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
1428806738027.jpg
25 KB, 433x380
>>47635081
PLEASE PLACE YOUR ITEM IN THE BAG
>tfw I have to pay 10 cents for bag
>>
>>47636299
I used to work at a 24/7 walmart, around 3am was when the awkward types would walk up to pay.
Their social graces were so stilted and awkward, they wouldn't even look at me. Of course, I found it hard not to speak up and ask how their night was going.
Often times, they would trembled, start stuttering, go red in the face, or all three.

Another weird thing, they would always buy microwavable meals instead of food staples.
I guess neets can't cook either?
>>
>>47636363
>scan as you shop.

what's that
>>
>>47635041

I'm a former cashier who operated the self-check out registers many times and can speak from experience:

1. The machines are outdated or whoever programmed them set them up to have unrealistic expectations with how they measure weight.

2. A lot of people are stupid while on the spot or use the self-check out machines when they shouldn't. An example of this would be someone with a full cart of clothing, fruits & vegetables, televisions and other things of that nature.

I've seen straight up Mexican migrant workers be pros at the self-check out, but at the same time I see an old ass white man say something stupid like "where's the English in this damn machine?! I don't Spanish!" Even though there's a big ass button that says BEGIN or something similar.

Also the cashier isn't really there to actually do any cashiering as much as he's just there to prevent people from stealing. People wouldn't feel comfortable if you put a camera in their face while they go out shopping. The illusion is that the cashier is doing something cashier-y, when in fact they're just there to prevent you from stealing because that's how humans work. We like rules and shit, even if it's from a retail employee in uniform who makes minimum wage.

My best advice is if you dislike self-check out don't use it, go at a time where there's more registers open, or don't go to any place that refuses to hire the appropriate amount of cashiers. I don't get what's so complicated about it. You're shopping in most-likely a big ass retail store, there's going to be lots of people, and it's going to require you to wait. That's part of life: waiting.
>>
Only time theyre around for me is if
>people accidentally scan something twice and have to verify the accident
>stop shoplifters

Other than that, self checkout is pretty decent.
>>
>>47636389

If you're going to Wal-Mart at 3 AM you're just as fucked socially as most employees working there at those hours.

Why piss away time cooking anyway?
>>
>>47635041

https://youtu.be/vfPgwQU6H8o
>>
>>47636417
pick up a scanner as you go in, scan everything yourself and bag it up as you go round, pay at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUK4IX3TuA0&hd=1

occasionally someone will come and check 5 items at random as you pay.
>>
>>47636480
>Why piss away time cooking anyway?
>W-why don't you eat cardboard shit like me, anon?!
>>
>>47636480
When your time is literally worthless, you might as well cook.
Unless you're one of those neets that likes to dress like a girl, then starving yourself is probably the best way to go.
>>
>>47635217
all i wanted was a fucking pepsi
institution, its a billion dollar industry
if they could sell sanity in a bottle
they'd be charging for compressed air
marketing healthcare
>>
>>47636480
>If you're going to Wal-Mart you're fucked in the head
Fixed. Only redneck retard poor trash goes to WalShit.
>>
>>47636510
Already done. Please read the thread, anon.
>>
>>47636504

>When your time is literally worthless, you might as well cook.

Gourmet cooking aside, microwave/frozen food costs about the same as all of the ingredients do. The only think you really save on is your intake of Sodium when cooking yourself.

One VALID reason for it is managing your food intake. A $1 frozen box of microwave Mac and Cheese is easier to cook and portion than a $1.50 box of Kraft which feeds 2.5 people IIRC.

Another reason is fuck all of the time and effort of mixing your own pancakes when Eggos are just as good for the minute it takes to toast them. MAYBE the occasional "just add water" shit is worth the effort but seriously, fuck all of the prep, cooking, and cleaning when it's just for you.

And speaking of "gourmet" cooking, most people waltzing into Wal-Mart at 3AM to buy Eggos, 88-cent bread, and microwave food probably don't make much more than the employees working there do so do the math on how many steaks per month someone's willing to invest in themselves regardless of who makes their money for them.
>>
>>47636520

If Wal-Mart isn't more than 15 minutes from your house that argument *COULD* be valid, especially depending on where you live.

Spending an extra $5 on your groceries because you're some extremist capitalist faggot that would rather go to Target in $100 Yoga pants makes you the bigger fucking nigger.
>>
>>47636578
Also the fact they're probably young(like me), so fuck buying vegetables and healthy shit.

I can worry about that when I'm over 150lbs or 40 years old. I dont give a shit about growing old
>>
>>47636589
Please post pics of dat ass in $100 yoga pants.
>>
>>47636578
This post demonstrates that you can't cook at all. Nobody says that you have to make gourmet food, but even cooking a simple pasta dish is far healthier than anything you can get microwave/frozen and much more delicious. And no, basic cooking tasks are piss easy.
>>
>>47636578
>microwave/frozen food costs about the same as all of the ingredients do.
I'm skeptical about this. Pretty sure buying bulk would save a bunch.
>>
>>47636599

Literally any dumb bitch in Target during business hours is "dat ass in yoga pants".

Funniest considering it's her husband's money she's spending the premium price on while she's exhibitioning like some whore.
>>
>>47636613
as easy as pressing 2 buttons, eating, then throwing everything in the garbage?
>>
>>47636628
Obviously not, but cutting onions isn't anything to cry about. No wonder this country is so fat.
>>
>>47636616
You'd be right.

>>47636578
>i have never cooked for myself and I don't intend to
Eating becomes so much more rewarding when it's not soaked in preservatives and yellow dye #5.
Freshly cooked food tastes so much better too.
If you're too jaded on life to realize that, then I won't bother arguing with you.
>>
>>47636613

It takes 15 minutes to cook pasta or 3 minutes to microwave it.

Unless you're just putting butter and/or Parmesan on the pasta, boiling your own pasta requires cleaning of the strainer, the dish you it it from, and whatever you prep the sauce in. Sodium aside, from a caloric standpoint you're eating about the same, if not more, than you are eating the microwave shit and that's if you do care about your food intake.

Pasta sauce about 400mg of sodium per serving in it and to get 'good coverage' on the pasta you need about double the serving size negating ANY of the nutritional savings by cooking it yourself vs. microwaving it. Please shut the fuck up.
>>
>>47635092
>scan shorts
>you need permission not to bag this item
>user error
ok
>>
Self-checkout might be successful in limited places for items that you need right away. Many other items might also be available via vending style machines which will accept phone payments.

However the future is NOT self-checkout.

The future is expansion of online sales, and a revolution in super fast home delivery.

The future is also showcase stores or malls, you walk in and see available products that you can buy. You might even be able to test or try on certain products. If you want something you take out your phone and add the item to your list. After you leave the store, the orders are placed. They are loaded on to a self-driving delivery truck/car, which drives the products to your home. There may even be a system to auto-accept items via a drop box or some type of a specialized delivery android (to walk steps and carry items). This maybe done so fast with self-driving cars, that you might get the items home before you return yourself.

Most shopping will be done online of course, but stores will still exist for you to see, test and try new products.

Grocery shopping may also become a subscription service, where you subscribe to certain products and get them auto delivered every few days, weeks, months, etc. With sensors and such this may even become automatic.

Delivery for fast food might also become even faster with self driving cars and automated delivery. Also food might be prepared by an automated system inside the car while it drives, depending on the product. Or a car will be loaded with semi-finished food product and drive out for deliveries while food continues cooking and is packaged inside the car.

Demand based 3d-printing may also become more common. Home 3d printing may also become big for both products and food.

If you live for the next 20-40 years you'll probably see this happen in your city.
>>
>>47636628
pasta itself is the easiest thing ever, you just throw everything in a pot and leave the heat on for ten minutes

Sauce you should make in big batches and just reheat at mealtime
>>
I work helpdesk at a fortune 500 grocer and I have to troubleshoot these peaces of shit.

Fujitsu and their retarded Canadian helpdesk is fucking worthless.
On the off chance that someone from Fujitsu sees this... Fuck you. The only company I've worked with that is more inept is Ricoh.
>>
>>47636667

I've researched the idea for an Uber for Groceries kind of thing. There's no cost-effective way to do "grocery ride sharing". Paypal and all of the other Jew sites want WAY too much off the top to do as a 'small business'.

E-commerce needs more alternative payment methods for anything like that to take off.
>>
>>47636657
Avoiding kg of sodium alone is a good reason to cook for yourself. Seriously, sodium in frozen food tastes absolutely awful. I couldn't imagine regularly eating that stuff. Not everyone is a fatass with no self-control that needs to have their meals pre-portioned to them; you'll can be much healthier own meals and this should be obvious why.
>>
>>47636657
Have you ever heard of a dishwasher
>>
>>47636707
Washing a strainer by hand takes like 10 seconds. There's literally only pasta and water in it.
>>
>>47636707

Have you ever heard of power bill? The pan and strainer can be handwashed but you've just added $5-$10 to your monthly power bill because you DON'T want to artificially devalue yourself by microwaving some meals based on some standards you're fed by the Good Goy TV show.
>>
>>47636667
It'll be like what IKEA sortof does now, except even further, say you never even go into a warehouse portion to grab your stuff, just motorized shelve robots move your purchases to the exit to load in your car or just ship to you.
>>
>>47636727
Using a microwave would use far more power and cost more than handwashing dishes and letting them dry. Not sure how a dishwasher would compare to a microwave in energy consumption, but you cannot argue the first case.
>>
>>47636756

So you're adding the time and effort of handwashing your fucking dishes? The meal just became a 30 minute endeavor.

Washing dishes also requires hot water which negates your bullshit claim of power savings over the microwave.
>>
>>47636756
Now how much do you value your 20 minutes of 4chan shitposting lost, that's the real question.
>>
>>47636727
How do people get this complacent?
I don't understand it.

Imagine having to eat microwavable salt-drenched processed garbage every day of your life because it's marginally more convenient than eating real food.
>>
>>47635217
ive walked out the store with product in situations like that
best to just walk with it instead of actually engaging them
>>
>>47635873
wow, ive never ever fucking seen this done :(
>order two tacos after a family of fat fucks orders a whole dinner
>>
>>47636756
Actually, the water saved by using a dishwasher vs handwashing pays for the electricity it uses and then some
>>
>>47636774

>because it's marginally more convenient than eating real food.

Unless you're making pasta sauce from scratch using tomato sauce and all of the spices, which is more expensive than buying pre-made sauce, then you're not saving on sodium. I established that above and PLEASE go look at the nutrition facts on the label and see for yourself.

Most microwave meals have 500-700mg of sodium for the entire meal. The pasta sauce ALONE for home prep has 350-420mg per serving and, just like cereal, the serving sizes are for fucking infants and you need to double it to actually taste/enjoy it.

Short of a vegetable/salad diet that tastes like shit you're not easily escaping the 2000mg/day of sodium.
>>
>>47636825
Fuck sodium, I want my food to actually taste like food.

Microwavable garbage tastes of salt and nothing else.
>>
>>47636217
>>
>>47636766
Hot water is only necessary for any tough stains. Microwaves also have pretty high wattage, so it isn't unfeasible that it would take more energy than a few seconds of hot water.

>The meal just became a 30 minute endeavor.
Do you really think this is a big deal? I'm done with this discussion. This is ridiculous.

>>47636815
I think that just depends on how the particular person washes the dishes.

>>47636825
This is delusional. Nobody is licking all of the tomato sauce out of the bowl.
>>
>>47636860

No, what's ridiculous is pissing away 30 minutes a day, 3 times per day, on a meal you're flushing down the toilet within the next 24 hours.

You're the one that truly hates himself.
>>
>>47636860
>Nobody is licking all of the tomato sauce out of the bowl.
Actually I do, but it's still moot because you have control over how much salt you put in if you're making the sauce.
>>
File: 1416737951818.png (155 KB, 273x240) Image search: [Google]
1416737951818.png
155 KB, 273x240
>>47636879
>No, what's ridiculous is pissing away 30 minutes a day, 3 times per day, on a meal you're flushing down the toilet within the next 24 hours.

What a contrived way to view cooking.
>>
>>47635915

That's not an unexpected item, that's my abdominal pannis.

;_;
>>
>>47636285
It's true. And I get to select the exact items I want. I don't have to go up and down every single isle until I find what I'm looking for.

>kek you don't MEMORIZE where items are in the store?!

>the grocery store NEVER moves things around so that you spend more time in the store :^)

Furthermore, I know for sure I've selected everything where as at the grocery store, it's easy to forget something on a paper list

>>47636020
>IDIOT DETECTED. SENDING ATTENDANT FOR ASSISTANCE

People who don't know how to use the self-checkout really amaze me. I watch as people listen for the voice to command them what to do.

You can skip the voice by just hitting start and scanning the item. Also, there are arrows that point to exactly where you should put the bar code. If you are having trouble scanning, you might be retarded. Also, if your grocery store isn't autistic, it will allow you to enter the produce codes with relative ease.

>mfw people actually WAIT for the voice prompt to tell them what to do

The voice prompt will cease if the system is aware that you are not retarded.

>mfw I scan 30 items, bag them, and pay as everyone else stands there mystified as the voice prompts say
>PLEASE PLACE YOUR ITEM IN THE BAG
>"Which item????? this one?"
>PLEASE PLACE YOUR ITEM IN THE BAG
>"Which item are they talking about?!?!?!"
>PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE
>*attendant takes the item and puts it in the bag*
>PLEASE SCAN THE ITEM
>PLACE THE BARCODE ON THE BARCODE SCANNER
>"what does it mean place the barcode on the barcode scanner?!"
>PLEASE GIVE UP ON LIFE
>>
>>47636883
>being proud of eating microwaved/frozen food
Manchild
>>
>>47636950
Meant for >>47636879
>>
>>47636697

No cost-effective way for now due to no self-driving cars yet.

Once self-driving cars become a thing, and I think many of us agree that within a decade or two it will happen. Then delivery prices become super cheap, companies become interested in product loading/offloading systems for the cars and automated home deliveries. Also even retail sales are down, as so many more people buy certain things online and use stores to view items, especially in tech.

>>47636743

Yeah good point. Also I think Amazon uses some automated systems already in their warehouses.
>>
>>47635041
I once accidentally scanned my Everyday rewards card at a Coles checkout instead of my flybys card.

The lady, very passive agressively instructed and informed me "INCORRECT ITEM, PLEASE SCAN FLYBYS."

Fuck that was funny, the assistant couldn't understand why I was in stiches.
>>
self-checkouts are actually more expensive (in time and money) than just having a couple people working registers.

They have to be maintained by skilled labor
Unless you R&D them yourself, you're reliant on a third party to maintain support (they'll gouge the shit out of you every chance they get)
There's increased product loss due to how much easier it is to steal via self-checkout lines
It takes longer, on average, for customers to checkout

source: work on the technical side of the retail industry
>>
>>47636975
The scanners at my local Ralph's (read Jewshop) are pretty sensitive. I once had my key in hand and it automatically scanned the loyalty card that was on it.
>>
>>47636138
Why can't we order our groceries online yet?
B-but you can in NZ mate, stay stone-age.
ALL out large chain stores all offer online shopping

t. Supermarket worker
>>
>>47635041
Unexpected item in the bagging area

wtf

I remember when lucky give out this stickers. Might as well put it on the lucky card when customer scan it right? SUCH A WASTE OF PAPER

at least they did better than FRY'S which everything is done MANUALLY! FUCK YOU RANDY
>>
I don't know what it is about self-checkout, but every time I use one I have to steal.
>>
>>47636997
I'd like to know, its expensive on maintaining it or buying it? How often do they breakdown? Do you require the third party to get the money out of the machine?
>>
>>47636138

In Germany you can. They even deliver on the same day.
>>
Yo I just came here for ass in yoga pants.
Pls rply.
>>
>>47637268
Most of them are still running Windows XP. Make that of what you want.
>>
>>47637229
>I don't know what it is about being nigger, but every time I go to store I have to steal.
>>
>>47636667
>>47636229
>>47636261
Will you cunts explain to me how the shit this is supposed to work for buying things like steaks?

I dont know about you guys but I don't just grab any fuckin steak. That shit needs to be the best cut there.

Same goes for all fresh produce. You really want some twat shoveling your vegetables into a bag will nilly!?

MADNESS!

Needs like, a video feed of the available selection and you circle the ones you want.
>>
IBM knows the future.
>>
>>47637451
People who want their food shipped to them are too socially awkward to notice they got a shitty cut of beef.
>>
>>47637409
I guess if they are still stable, its not really a huge problem right?
>>
File: 18164318461.jpg (131 KB, 509x509) Image search: [Google]
18164318461.jpg
131 KB, 509x509
>>47635788
So you're a nigger?
>>
>>47637581
Maybe, but with WinXP not getting any more security updates because EOL those self-checkout things are looking to become a haven credit card theft.
>>
Its a scientific fact that niggers are incapable of operating self checkout machines.
>>
>>47637631
I'm interest to know how they work :^)
>>
>>47636841
That's simple
Let the moron with the card come and scan it and lets see if he can tell the difference between 1 bag and 3 bags.
>>
File: meme template.png (918 KB, 990x743) Image search: [Google]
meme template.png
918 KB, 990x743
>>47635041
>2015
>Not getting your friend to distract the employee guarding the self-checkout then proceeding to put expensive items in as "Bananas"
>>
>>47635041
>go to store
>get something expensive per pound
>make sure no one is within earshot
>ring it in as kale or bananas
>less than 1 dollar for 2 pounds of grapes
>no one gives two shits

used to be even easier at shaws. their machines didn't announce what you were ringing up as.
>>
>>47635041
I love these. Anything that's too expensive, I weigh as Granny Smith apples
>>
>>47637758
Mah nigga
>>
PLEASE TAKE YOUR ITEMS
>>
File: 1425425299026.jpg (8 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1425425299026.jpg
8 KB, 225x225
>tfw buying pine nuts but paying for peanuts
>>
>>47637451
You care about your steak quality, but are buying it from a supermarket.

Do butchers not exist in America anymore? Shit, get whatever cut I want.
>>
>>47637631
Is it winxp tho? Or is it posready 2009? The only difference basically is the name and the updates.
>>
Can we discuss how to trickeroo the self-checkouts? Don't they have some sort of security measures in place for sneaky niggers like yourselves?
>>
>>47637488
noice
>>
File: 1341610689850.jpg (12 KB, 303x320) Image search: [Google]
1341610689850.jpg
12 KB, 303x320
>>47636138
>what is Amazon
>what is AmazonFresh
>what is AmazonGrocer
>what is Safeway
>what is Peapod
>what is Envoy
>what is Netgrocer
>what is Homegrocer
>what is Walmart
>what is EcoMeal
>what is Vons
>what is Instacart
>what is Schwans
>what is Albertsons
>what is MyBrands
>what is Acme
>what is BigAppleGrocer
>what is Citarella
>what is FreshDirect
>what is GopherGrocery
>what is YourGrocer
>what is DoortoDoorOrganics
>what is
>what is 25,000 Yelp pages
>what is a web search
>>
>>47637895
Ordinary WinXP, also Speccy falsely reports 1 GB even though the system is equipped with 768 MB.
>>
>>47635041

It's simple...

Scan it, place it in bagging area, wait for it to register that you've placed it in bagging area, repeat with next item.

People think there's super computers running it...they're not.
>>
>>47637952
Oops, wrong thread.
>>
It isn't a big deal.
Sure it could use some improvement.
I work at WM. Shit is pretty standard and easy to use. Not snappy and fluid but gets the job done.
>>
>>47637952
And... are they online? Or do they have any port exposed?
>>
>>47636667
well, it depends on the industruy... home depot isn't going anywhere any time soon... too many products, and users always want to try before buying.
however, the self-checkout is really used as a manpower multiplier, so that one cashier can run 4 checkouts at the same time, but is still there to scan big items, and watch shit
>>
>>47637914
Please reply
>>
>>47637983
Well they have to be online to do all of the credit processing. I'm not sure if they're connected to the internet or use some special network where there's a central system that does the money stuff in the store.
>>
File: 92938492.jpg (130 KB, 282x419) Image search: [Google]
92938492.jpg
130 KB, 282x419
>>47638021
> Well they have to be online to do all of the credit processing.
Yeah, I'm an idiot. One could only hope that it's an intranet with really strict firewall rules. But the fact that they still use XP doesn't help with this assumption.
>>
>>47635122
>self checkout
>alcohol
I've never seen this but sounds like a terrible idea
>>
File: 1426423616481.jpg (344 KB, 761x545) Image search: [Google]
1426423616481.jpg
344 KB, 761x545
>>47636385
>have to bring ghetto ass walmart bag in store
Fuck them I keep my 10 cents

>Walmart brings back complimentary bagging after much public bitching
>Some fedora wearing asshat is petitioning for their removal once more

What the actual fuck
>>
>>47638056
Do people really have a problem with bagging their own groceries?
>>
>>47635041
at first I read that last bit as "autist who can't work as an engineer"
>>
>>47638056

Probably thinks he's saving the earth from trash pollution or something.
>>
>>47637758

Kroger had an error with their self check and I was getting almost free soda. Some fat lady busted me though and I had to pay full price, now I don't buy soda anymore.

Never thought of getting meat this way.
>>
>>47635081
>not just putting stuff underneath the bag
>>
>>47635604
I'M NOT CRAZY
>>
>>47637451
If I want a steak or any meat besides chicken, I go to a butcher. Better cuts to your preference for cheaper than the supermarket.

I get typical shit like onions and potatoes at the supermarket as well, but if I want seasonal produce then the farmers market every time. Again, cheaper, better, local.

If I want rice or fish, I go to the Asian supermarket.

I live in fucking Alabama and I have all of these resources within 10 square miles of my home, and I'm 40 minutes from any sizeable urban city.
>>
>>47635041
Lots of grocery stores have union labor, you think the union is going to let their jobs get entirely replaced?
>>
I have a solution to this.
We simply need to
>install gentoo
On every self checkout register.
>any time an item that's not been scanned on a specific register gets scanned it has to compile for the item.
It'll be awesome in a couple years!
>>
>>47638125

>unions

I love how Wal-Mart just shuts down stores to get the fucking unions out.
>>
File: Shrek_fierce.jpg (2 MB, 3600x3210) Image search: [Google]
Shrek_fierce.jpg
2 MB, 3600x3210
>>47638153
DID SOMBADEH SAY UHNIONS? IF SOH DUMB AND WEAK YE LET A WEE CARPORATION CONTROHL YE IT'S NAH WOONDER YAH'D WORK AT WALMART
>>
>>47636618
You just make shit up to get angry about.
>>
>>47638090
Yeah well I use wal-mart bags to pick up my dog's shit. Anyone who wants to get rid of them/charge for them can start cleaning up after my dog.
>>
>>47635122
We need to have robots like TARS from Interstellar monitoring the self checkouts. No one would fuck with TARS. I shat bricks during that gate scene where Cooper gets tazed by TARS.
>>
>>47635964
Dude was pissed that he had to do his job? If he wants redundancy that badly he could just quit.
>>
>>47636229
Tesco do Click & Collect. Other stores must have something similar.
>>
I've never seen a machine that announces your produce. Is it just on bananas since they're so cheap?
>>
>finish food shopping
>get to the front
>every self-checkout kiosk is out of order
>just a single cashier
>put all the food back and leave
>>
>>47635041
Before I worked in IT I worked for a very large supermarket franchise supervising the service area. I will let you know 99% of people who complain about the self serve machines are retards that can't seem to comprehend how they work even when explained to them. I would put you in this category op
>>
>>47636385
you fucking americaPoors. Here I can either pay $0.36 for a ~small~ bag, or $0.72 for a ~big~ one.
>>
>>47635058
Yea but the employees are stupid as shit, on a related note a 750ml of absolut vodka fits perfectly in a saltine box and a $1 cup UPC code covers the UPC of a $200 air filter pretty nicely. Just make sure to push the "don't bag this" when prompted
>>
>>47635041
I hate watching people with no desire to think realistically or think like an engineer, criticize systems that require engineering.

Think of all the edge cases, ways to exploit the system, ways to break it, etc you need to cover for. Then shut your mouth and think before posting your garbage thread on this fine Mongolian tapestry weaving imageboard.
>>
>>47638056
JESUS CHRIST THAT SNAIL IS LARGE
>>
>>47635217

How much did Pepsi-Cola pay you for this post?
>>
>>47640248
>paying for bags
T O P K E K

O

P

K

E

K
>>
Works for me :^)

No seriously. Clear the bag area, get a bag, scan item, put item in bag. It's fucking simple, jesus.
>>
I never see employees near the one in my local supermarket. I used it a few times, but usually I have too much shit and have to go to a self-checkout
>>
the dumbest people ever always think they can figure it out

ugh
>>
its a shit waste of time if you are doing any real type of shopping. The fat whore at the register with stubs for fingers can process my fresh produce much quicker than self checkout.
Selfcheckout is ok when you're buying twinkies, cheetos and mountain dew
>>
>>47636138
But anon, I do.
>>
>>47638114
Alabama is god's country. We're spoiled here by having basically every type of produce and livestock within a 200 mile radius. The tradeoff is living alongside nignogs, fundies, and crooked government officials.
>>
>>47636299
except there's only one checker there at 3am and you've got to deal with tweakers in the checkout line
>>
>>47636578
cooking for myself and my girl is the manliest thing I do on a daily basis, no joke. There's something magical about picking up fresh local ingredients on the cheap and spending 30 minutes to an hour turning it into something healthy and delicious.
>>
The only place around here with a self checkout is home depot, and it works really well. I used to go to a grocery store with it and there was so much >>47635915
>>
>>47635092
There are multiple vendors with some offering better implementations and different sensitivity settings to deter theft. When the settings get cranked up its pretty hard not to hit an error.
>>
File: eat-more-chicken-512x1024.jpg (88 KB, 512x1024) Image search: [Google]
eat-more-chicken-512x1024.jpg
88 KB, 512x1024
>>47637451
You really think beef will still be legal in 20 to 40 years?

You've heard about the water use, the deforestation, the carbon emissions, the cancer risks, the obvious obesity problems involved in beef consumption?

And then the less rational moral panics, imagine the damage one more horse meat or mad cow outbreak will do.
>>
>haha time for self checkout
>max 9 items
>have 11

how is that fair? what is the point?
>>
>>47636975
I scanned my loyalty card for one supermarket at another supermarket and it detected that it was a loyalty club, but for the wrong supermarket.

THE BEAST KNOWS
>>
>>47635041
I hate self-checouts.
They're fine for when I have few items and it would be faster scanning/paying myself than waiting to have someone else do it.
But I see people with cartfuls of stuff going through them.

At that point, why would you WANT to pay a company to do their work for you?
>>
>>47637914

Yeah, you can trick it with items of similar weight but it depends on how sensitive the weight tolerance is. There's also the loose vegetables method although it's kinda well known now and staff are going to be watching you while you slip in bottles of wine weighed in as a bag of onions.
>>
After your 5th time on the self checkout, if you're' still failing, the problem is YOU. These machines are very simple to understand. I love them.
>>
File: 1426736080246.jpg (122 KB, 666x556) Image search: [Google]
1426736080246.jpg
122 KB, 666x556
>leaving the house to get groceries
>>
>>47635041
>2015
>Self Checkout running windows xp
>Self Checkout running windows
>Self Checkout running any kind of full computer operating system that has not been designed to run a dedicated task
>>
>>47635041
Costco's self-checkout is pretty good. You get a little device to carry around the store and you just scan stuff as you add it to your cart. On your way out someone quickly looks over your cart, you swipe your credit card on the device to pay, and then you return the device to them and leave.

Human interaction is pretty minimal. Just "Please swipe your card" and "Have a good day!"
>>
>>47642428
>not chancing it and leaving something unscanned
>>
>>47635041
What I hate the most is knowing that basically 8/10 people that use them are stealing stuff, which in turn increases the prices on my groceries
>>
>>47642537
I stole a 10 cent bag of sunflower seeds 15 years ago. The store was closed 2 years ago.
>>
>>47641251
I do have it figured out you take a sticker UPC off a measuring cup that costs $1 and stick it what ever you are buying then press "I don't want to bag this item"
>>
>>47642596
>>
File: OS-2_W4.png (214 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
OS-2_W4.png
214 KB, 800x600
>>47642377

You could've listened.
>>
File: bags.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bags.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>47635081
>his city doesn't ban plastic bags
>>
>>47642645
Ive never seen a self checkout that doesn't run XP Professional edition.
Asda Tesco Morrisions Sainsburys Aldi Etc
Nothing!
>>
File: 124553474572.gif (982 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
124553474572.gif
982 KB, 320x287
>>47635041
>can't get 75% off last day discount at self checkout
>have to wait in line
>>
fuck self checkout. I'm not getting paid to scan and bag groceries. It's like they are tricking me into working for them. And it's never faster.
>>
>>47642730
>living in Texas
>even in the non-shit part
I'm surprised your keyboard lasted long enough for you to post before it melted.
>>
>>47642730
Shut the fuck up Austin, you embarrass Texas
>>
>>47643751

why so mean bro, what did texans do to you?
>>
>>47643723
>fuck pushing shopping carts. I'm not getting paid for pushing that shit. It's like they are tricking me into pushing for them. And having a nigger doing it for me would be much faster.
>>
>>47643792
Can you please stop using that word.
>>
It's pretty easy to steal from those things. Just get a decent, like 20 items or so. Just leave one of the things in the cart and act like you 5got.
>>
>>47643804
>Can you please stop using that word.

>fuck pushing shopping carts. I'm not getting paid for pushing shit. It's like they are tricking me into pushing for them. And having a nigger doing it for me would be much faster.

No problem man.
>>
>>47642645

makes me want to break out my OS/2 Warp disc
>>
>>47643896
Thank you. :)
>>
>>47636809
>tacos
>dinner
>grocery store self checkout
Are you lost?
>>
>>47635041
I live in Hungary (!) and the machines here work perfectly. Maybe it's really the USA that's third-world.
>>
>>47644630
It's planned obsolescence driven by the free market. If you do something right the first time, you lose. You have to slowly upgrade everything over a couple of decades in order to milk the system.
>>
>>47641710

get a load of this faggot
>>
Is it true that amerilards only buy packaged meat?

I mean, who the fuck doesn't just go to a butcher shop?
>>
>>47646496

All supermarkets I go to have a butcher shop included in them.
I live in Mexico though, I don't know what gringos are doing over there.
>>
>>47646662
>All supermarkets I go to have a butcher shop included in them.

Gringo here, that's how the greatest country in the world operates as well
>>
>>47646496
Literally all of our stores have butchers in them
>>
>>47646496

No not entirely true, though yes a lot of muricans buy precut and packaged meats from the grocery stores meats department, because its easier and faster.

But they all have butchers and fresh cuts right there to buy or get a custom cut (or seafood).
>>
>>47646496
I see packaged meat at your yuropoor stores as well. Stop trying to come up with shit to make your malnourished ass feel better about your failing political system.
>>
>>47646496
the packaged meat you see in the US has been packaged at the store
>>
>>47635041
>using self checkout

and then people wonder why wages are shit and unemployment is a big issue.
>>
There has been plenty of times when I use the self check out and forget to put up an item or two before I cash out at the self check outs, and then just walk out with the item(s) without paying. But it’s usually a donut or two, or some candy.

Though I have seen people using their own bags sneak more expensive items into their bags to not have to pay for them. If I feel the mood, I do sometimes report them for shits and giggles, but not usually.
>>
>>47646801

Unemployment is transitional.
Once we get robots to do everything for us there won't be a need to work anymore.
>>
>>47636138

It's called Tesco you cunt
>>
>>47646864
>no need to work for currency
>implying the greedy jews and capitalists will let that slide

don't kid yourself, anon
>>
I'm usually too drunk to use them anyway.
>>
>>47646801
Are you mad at Quicken and Excel for booting the store's clerks and bookkeepers out of a job, too?
>>
>>47646932
>jew company buys $10,000 checkout machine
>no need to hire anyone so they can feed their family and boost the economy
>the jew company keeps all profit and gets richer while other people get poorer

I'm all for jobs as long as they are relevant to the economy and people.
>>
>>47636369
Be ready for thousands of complaints and negative reviews.
>>
>>47646987

>jews make the people poorer
>people get too poor to buy the jews' merchandise

are you fucking retarded?
because jews aren't
>>
>>47647000

You don't destroy it, you just cancel the order and return the money minus fees for the trouble.
Don't listen to that anon, he can't into business.
>>
>>47635886
Around blacks, never relax.
>>
>>47636445

You deserve a reply for that long ass post
>>
>>47647041
>jews hire people to work
>jews pay shit wages so people go to another jew (bankers) to get a lone so they can afford a house and car for work
>after everyone takes out their credits
>stock marker crashes
>jews lay off people to save their money
>everyone in financial crisis

it's like you weren't alive during 2008 or something
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.