[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The only thing keeping me from using Windows as a gayming platform
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: 1334583229_black-skin-sshot[1].jpg (77 KB, 545x355) Image search: [Google]
1334583229_black-skin-sshot[1].jpg
77 KB, 545x355
The only thing keeping me from using Windows as a gayming platform is the absence of a good DAW with VST support, the only DAW i know for GNU/Linux is Audacity, and it's pure shit.

There is any good DAW for GNU/Linux?
>>
>DAW with VST support
Don't be such a fucking pleb.

There's tons of trackers and tracker-based DAWs on linux.
>>
>>47631659
Ardour is a popular one. I haven't used it myself, but it's probably worth looking at.
>>
>>47631659
Bitwig is the only good fully featured daw for linux.
>>
>>47631659

ardour and qtractor are the most feature complete on the FOSS side. there's also bitwig studio which has a linux version. if you're into trackers you could also check out renoise.
>>
>>47631816
+1 for renoise
>>
>linux has DAWs
this is news to me

I have never EVER seen an electronic musician use linux in any capacity, not for production or even live performance.

Is this like GIMP?
Where every freetard is proud of it, yet nobody actually uses it for anything professional?
>>
>>47631885
Well, the two best daws I have used in linux are renoise and bitwig. both are not free.
>>
>>47631903
>linux
>not free
why bother?
>>
>>47631659
Bitwi exists. You can also use wine for some more programs.
>>
File: Title.png (120 KB, 344x344) Image search: [Google]
Title.png
120 KB, 344x344
>>47631659
great tier
>>
>>47631885
tbh i've never saw anyone use windows for anything but gaymen.

why is Windows spelt with w if videogames are spelt with v?
>>
>>47631885
Well is this professional enough?
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html
>>
>>47631659
Program your own OS and your own DAW, both from the Machine Code of the processor you built from scratch.
>>
>>47631885
If there is VST support, inbuilt tools matter very little except for minimal detail stuff(that separates semi-professionals from professionals, indeed).

That said, as I'm not even semi-professional, if the DAW has VST support, everything is fine and i can even dream to evolve as a semi-professional.

And by professional i mean, people that travel an entire continent or the entire world doing live actions.

Also, why should i aim to not be amateur? Amateur sounds can be great too, they almost always have more "soul" tbh.
>>
>>47631659
Unless you're doing something expensive I'm sure you'd be fine running a DAW on a Virtual Machine.
>>
Thanks guys, I'm noting everything you're saying, can't test everything right now but I'll do it ASAP.

>>47632049
You mean resource expensive? Well, my machine have 4GB RAM and as i usually have 20+ channels with tons of VSTs, it would be really painful and I'm not even considering that a VM can cut down CPU capacity as well.

Also WINE and VMs are not real solutions, they're workarounds.
>>
>>47631885
Because your definition of "professional" is over the counter electronic music with pre-made patches.

Things are not nearly as good they should be, but one can do mastering, recording and layouts on Linux just fine.
Ofc Windows and OSX has more support for devices and programs to use, and likely they always will, but that doesn't mean Linux audio is shit.

Honestly the only major limits are with VSTs and attitudes and if you are an experimental type then Linux will be a much more open canvas to you to play with.
>>
You're all faggots. Get windows, buy Scope Xite-1, use whatever DAW you faggots want to. Except for FL.
>>
File: frannySurpri.jpg (9 KB, 80x81) Image search: [Google]
frannySurpri.jpg
9 KB, 80x81
>>47632327
...whats wrong with FL ?!
>>
>>47632346
You can always tell when something was made with FL.
You ever hear stuff on bandcamp?

They frequently think they can get away with using FL presets, and it sounds really amateur as fuck.
>>
>>47632327
plz responfdfk
>>
>>47632346
Sounds shit imo. But of you like it, then that's really all that really matters and everyone can just fuck off. But you're still fag
>>
>>47632327
You forgot Logic

>>47632346
It's entry-level shit, it's what made producing popular advertised and easy/user friendly
>>
>>47632346
Nothing if you know what you're doing
>>
>>47632346
>FL Studio
>Professional DAW
pick one. It's a DAW made for EDM kids, that don't know shit about anything. I had an internship in a mastering studio a couple of years ago and whenever I had to hear one of those FL Studio EDM kid mixes, my ears started hurting. The chance of me getting ear cancer in late life raised by 450% because of that.
>>
>i'd like to switch to linux but i can't drop this very important thing i do on windows that seems like hassle to do on linux

then you don't need linux, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that
don't let /g/ memes get on your head
>>
>>47632401
>it's what made producing popular, wes advertised as and easy/user friendly
derp
>>
>>47632418
I already almost fully switched buddy, i don't play games and produce music everyday, i have better stuff to do.
>>
>>47632327
Why Xite. Doesn't look any more impressive than anything else on the market. Barely any reviews for it also.
>>
>>47631659
Reaper works fine using wine, says so on their website but haven't tried it myself.
>>
>>47632595
It's the best sounding thing i have ever heard. Blows UAD out of the water. In fact UAD is still catching up to it
>>
>>47631659

It's doable with Ardour compiled with VST support.

Not very practical or easy compared to using windows or mac.

I've used Ardour plenty for recording live performances and had good results. It wouldn't be my goto for mixing or mastering though.
>>
There are no DAWs on Linux that support VST.

Ardour or Harrison Mix is the best you'll get. If you want plugins, there's LV2.
>>
File: wut_m8.png (138 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
wut_m8.png
138 KB, 320x320
>>47631659
>daw
>audacity
>>
>>47631659
Can somebody explain in detail why fl is so bad? I bought it a while ago and don't see why its so shit on by everyone.
>>
>>47632714
What the fuck are you on about? You can use windows vsts through wine in pretty much all daws in linux, if not natively then when Carla. Bitwig, renoise, Tracktion, LMMS, ardour, qtractor.
>>
>>47632734
Doesn't respect my freedon
>>
>>47632739
VSTs aren't OS restrictive in any sense afaik.
>>
>>47632752
What do you mean?
>>
>>47632769
Well they are if you don't use Wine in some way.
>>
>>47632864
Do you mean that Qtracktor and others emulate WINE somehow or do another workaround? Now that I'm thinking about it, DLLs are Windows stuff... But then, how Mac's Logic load it without a hassle?
>>
>>47632718
>Digital Audio Workstation
>Why am I so retarded?
>>
>>47632933
>Digital Audio Workstation
>audacity
>>
>>47631659
Bitwig Studio is already better than Ableton or FL Studio
Ardour is pretty good when it comes to more "professional recording-studio" type DAWs, it also just got bumped to v 4.0

http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio.html
http://ardour.org/

as for VSTs, not much vendors support Linux yet, but it's changing (all of u-he's products are in public Linux beta right now, for example). and a lot of windows VSTs work fine through wine
>>
>>47632346
>>47632739
There is nothing wrong with FL if you know what you're doing with it

The original FruityLoops was pretty wank and was seen as babbys first DAW. It got a lot better around version 6/7 but the stigma has stuck with it
>>
>>47632949
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/daw_apps
>>
>>47632924
You need wine to run windows vsts in qtractor, qtractor doesn't emulate anything.
>>
>m-muh vsti's
You're all faggots. VST's don't even compare to DSP plugs
>>
renoise, bitwig
both support VSTs, as well as DSSI and ladspa
>>
>>47631659
Learn an instrument you fucking wasted cum puddle twit
>>
To be fair Audacity is not pure shit, it can be handy for quick editing.

>not paulstretching everything
>>
>>47633689
Yes, but that's more of an audio editor feature, that's what Audacity is, an audio editor trying to be a DAW
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.