[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's discuss: Should a laptop be small or big?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: workhorses-open.jpg (175 KB, 612x408) Image search: [Google]
workhorses-open.jpg
175 KB, 612x408
Let's discuss: Should a laptop be small or big?
>>
It should be the size that the consumer wants it to be
>>
Depends on the user and the use case
>>
>>47618078
Just big enough for full size keys with decent key travel.
>>
ITT: questions with no definitive answer
>>
13" is my size. Anything bigger doesn't comfortably fit on my lap because you know it's a fucking LAPTOP
>>
>>47618087
But you could easily plug the laptop via hdmi to a big monitor,it kinda makes the big laptop concept a little bit ridiculous.
>>
I like bigger laptops as desktop replacements.
I'm not gayman or anything, but the 17" HP sitting on my bed right now has successfully replaced my bedroom television. Plus it gives me more mobility than a desktop, which is important for college. I laugh at my friend who literally has to pack up his entire desktop for spring and winter break to take it home. I just close my lid.
>>
>>47618112
That's the best kind of questions unless you are a robot of course,that wouldn't suit you,wouldn't it?
>>
>>47618078
I've used a 15.6" and a 12".

The 15.6" is kinda big, but not too big. The 12 was way too small for me.

I think a 14 inch laptop is probably my ideal.
>>
>>47618125
You can't take a monitor with you everywhere.
>>
>>47618132
Isn't it unconfortable for you to move a 17" inch laptop to college?
>>
>>47618152
Yes,but one can handle a 13" inch screen for a while until you get back to your monitor ,don't you think?
>>
>>47618147
12" is nice for like being on a desk or something, but my x220 is just too small to sit comfortably on my lap.
>>
>>47618123
Haha, good point.But if it's your only device then wouln't you think twice ?
>>
>>47618154
If you only have cash for one device at college, a slightly more expensive laptop for a do everything machine is fine.

>>47618166
People travel. I know developers travel and having a stronger, slightly larger laptop is better.
>>
>>47618154
Nope.

As a stereotypical faggy design school undergrad, it's not uncommon at all to be in class surrounded by people with gigantic 17" laptops. I rarely take mine to class however. I can get by with my Galaxy Note pretty successfully most of the time.

On a related note, I find it odd that Apple killed the 17" MBP and hasn't replaced it yet. I'm ready to upgrade my HP already after a year, but there's no Macbook for me to upgrade to.
>>
>>47618201
more expensive/larger laptop*
>>
>>47618207
That's pretty interesting what you just said.Even if it's off topic,you write on your classes with a phone? What app do you even use for such colossal task?
>>
>>47618078
Yes it should be. I like large laptops, and small. It really depends on the use case for the computer.
>>
>>47618241
Could you explain at least 1 particular usage for each "choice"?
>>
>>47618232
I don't write notes on it, even though I could. I tend to use pencil and paper, but if I ever need to access the intranet at the professor's request during class, I can do that on the phone.

I'm only a second-year, so I imagine when I start taking more advanced classes, as well as the required design labs, I will be taking my computer more.
>>
>>47618207
This. Everyone has fucking massive laptops.
More screen space. As long as it lasts 6 hours which is pretty standard. Everyone has a bag of some sort to carry it around easy but for some reason apple makes everything think they can't life a box of cereal and all have brittle bone disease.
>>
>>47618078
big, I like to see what I'm doing without squinting and don't like jamming my hands together in a cramped position to type
>>
>>47618277
Thanks for the info
>>
>>47618078
Small laptops should be portable
Large laptops should be workstation replacements
It just depends what you want in a laptop and what it's for.
>>
>>47619264
This. The one type fits all mentality that applefags express is fucking retarded.
>>
>>47618125
love my 17" laptop screen. shit's fucking cash.
>>
>>47618187
not him, but at that point i think i'd buy a monitor for home use
>>
File: W701-turducken.jpg (282 KB, 1024x799) Image search: [Google]
W701-turducken.jpg
282 KB, 1024x799
>>47618078
>>
>>47618232
I'm another Anon with a note 4. I use LectureNotes but fiinote is good too. There are differences that might matter to you like how well printing works and the ability to export notes. There are free versions of note apps you can try on your current phone to see if taking notes this way is viable.
>>
>>47618078
12-14 inches is good enough for what laptops are intended for.
>>
>>47618123
Manlet? Is that you?
>>
>>47618078
I personally like 15" and 13" laptops
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.