[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'd like to design indie video games independently as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: 1410029719434.jpg (258 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1410029719434.jpg
258 KB, 1000x750
So I'd like to design indie video games independently as a one woman team. I'm imagining mobile games would probably be best suited for this. I know how stereotypical this sounds, but what would be some good steps towards this career?

I have no programming, 3D design, or technical experience. I'm starting from square one, but I'm at square one with everything else in my life and at this point I'm thinking, "Fuck it, I'll go with what I love."
>>
>woman
>>
I'm a girl btw
>>
>>47617718
Assuming that you aren't trolling, you should leave because this is the wrong place to ask.
>>
>woman
>independent
choose one
>>
>>47617735
>even assuming there is a chance this isn't b8
lol
>>
>>47617718
>I have no programming, 3D design, or technical experience.

sounds like you already know how to begin, get those things.
>>
>>47617750
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
>>
>>47617718
>woman
>doing something by herself
>ever
>>47617772
Stop using big words around a female, she won't understand them and call the police on you
>>
>>47617718
Are you designing the games for an existing platform, or are you trying to develop a console to play these games instead of relying on GBC or NDS? If I were you, I would develop a game app that is compatible with Android/iOS to reach a wider variety and more broad audience/consumer. But that's just me. Follow your dreams. You can do great things with ambitions this large.
>>
m'lady, ignore these brutes and their jests. I would be happy to assist you in your quest. I would suggest learning a programming language first, such as python or even jumping into java straight away

god speed fair maiden
>>
>>47617778
Nice reading comprehension faggot.
>>
File: 122516277.jpg (21 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
122516277.jpg
21 KB, 340x340
>>47617718
>no experience
>want's to make video game
>one man team
>>
>>47617731
/thread
>>
>>47617718
Well, don't go into computer science. It has very little to do with programming and nothing to do with game design.

Pursue it as a hobby. Figure it out. Learn a few languages if you have to. Maybe you could take the same route as that sharkeshia girl with that game suicide quest. She made money off that right?
>>
If you're going with mobile, I'd personally recommend starting with iOS(fuck apple) or android due to market share. Windows phone apps can be made in c++, which makes learning it useful.

Android is basically Java, also useful.

Ios is OOC, kind of only used for ios.

You don't really need most of those skills to start. Learn as you go. Otherwise, you could pick up unity and start making games in that.

W, make a good game. Not done shit game like social justice warriors(not joking). Try to avoid pushing your biases and opinions in it. This is the fastest way to get your game noticed, but not bought. It will also fade faster.

I'm a one dev team(sex isn't important, kind of a red flag to say you're a woman dev team) making a couple games for Windows phone.
>>
>>47617718
I would really like to make a game too but I waste my time here instead.
>3D
why not just a smal 2D project using love or something, also
>woman
>>
>>47617807
>>>47617718 (OP)
>>one WOMIN team

Stop bullying shitlord
>>
File: 1344285294131.jpg (28 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1344285294131.jpg
28 KB, 250x250
>>47617835
Where do you think you are?
>>
>all this trolling
Thanks /g/

>>47617756
I have no idea where to begin with those.

>>47617783
An existing platform. I was thinking Android to start with.
>>
>>47617855
you should go with java then
>>
>>47617855

>>47617829
^
^
Dude pretty much explained in detail everything I was getting at.
>>
Obviously learn to code first. It all boils down to code. Then learn to do 3d design.
>>
>>47617718
I hope you're really fucking dedicated and patient. Game development is hard. Even harder with only one person and it is not a single skill. It requires multiple skillsets.
Start by picking up a book on introductory programming fundementals. Programming is the backbone of developing games. Java is a good introductory language and so is C#.
>>
>>47617878
>yfw I'm a grill
>>
>>47617718
>>>/v/
>>
>>47617829
>>47617868
What about something like Unity? Can I use Java with that?
>>
>>47617935
first result in botnet search says it supports C#, but I've never used it before
>>
>>47617913
So much of this.

Start simple, work on it. And fail. Make /something/. Anything. Then move on.

Start with things that you can interact with. Then something you can interact with multiple times.

Now, something you can play. Then something bigger.

It's how I got where I am in the process. I haven't released anything yet, but I'm on the "make something you can play" stage, and it's just a Mario clone. But it's something.

Goals and dead lines.
>>
>>47617718
There is a forum for game development at >>>/vg/agdg
Learn stuff there.
>>
>>47617935
C# and Javascript
>>
>>47617718
I dunno, try something like Stencyl. its a game making program with little coding required that can make games for mobile and pc. I haven't done much with it, but its a good place to start from what I have heard.
>>
>>47617718
Ignoring all of the GamerGate-tier shitflinging going on in this thread, here's my advice to you, from one human to another:

Start simple. If you know what you're doing with computers in general, start with something like Code Academy or another tutorial site that'll start you off with a newbie-friendly language like Python, Lua, or Javascript. Explore other people's code, see what each statement does, so on and so forth. Write smaller programs like calculators or text-based programs that take in your name and print it out. Just get comfortable with programming and computation in general before you get into games or GUIs.

If you aren't familiar with computing in general, start with a visual language like Scratch. There are LOTS of tutorials and the like for people learning how to program with Scratch, and it transitions pretty well into learning your first real language.

Once you're comfortable with programming, start looking into writing games with simple libraries or game engines like LOVE2d or ImpactJS. Personally, I adore LOVE; it's my favorite game engine to work with, and it helps that Lua is a natural-feeling language that's flexible and fun to work with.

As far as platforms go, stay away from mobile platforms or consoles until you are a very seasoned developer. Consoles use proprietary, expensive APIs and Dev Kits that are almost always out of reach for newer developers. Mobile applications are a pain to develop and can often cost quite a bit to package and develop. Not to mention they're usually restricted to one or two programming languages and offer very minimal profits. (Apple takes %30 of your revenue and you also have to pay a developer's fee.) Stick with the PC while you start-- it's free.

Finally, never be afraid to do research and ask around.

Good luck with your development, OP, and don't forget to ignore the assholes. (Don't confuse assholes with helpful critics, though.) I hope this works out for you.
>>
File: 1428264881883.gif (2 MB, 363x273) Image search: [Google]
1428264881883.gif
2 MB, 363x273
>>47618450

This is basically exactly how I got into programming. Good advice, anon.
>>
>>47618208
This.

Stencyl is literally baby's first game engine. IT uses a system of "code blocks" where you plug in pre-constructed lines of code to program. It also has presets for mobile games to start out with.

It's also really cheap, I think only $150 to publish your game on an app store. This doesn't include however much an Apple developer account is. But I know last year Microsoft was paying out like $50 to anyone who published an app to Windows store, in addition to any sales you make.

The cons to Stencyl is that there aren't that many great tutorials on getting started. There is this one channel on Youtube that has a ton of tutorials, but his accent was so thick it was really difficult to follow.
And the engine is great for doing simple games, but can become really frustrating when trying to implement more complex mechanics.

But overall this is where you should start, and after making a few simple games and building some experience, I would move on to Unity. Their 2D engine keeps improving so you still wouldn't need to learn 3D.

Hope this helps.
>>
File: Persistence trumps all.jpg (454 KB, 1473x984) Image search: [Google]
Persistence trumps all.jpg
454 KB, 1473x984
I've been lurking and wanting to avoid gender issues but I do feel the need to chime in about something:
>>47618450
>and don't forget to ignore the assholes. (Don't confuse assholes with helpful critics, though.)
I would like to point out here that most helpful critics are also assholes.
>This spaghetticode
>"Wow are you retarded or something? This code is ASS, you should use [codefield] like a smart person."
It's helping you while extracting a price in your pride for the service (hopefully getting you to learn by yourself). So it's not "omg teh meenies r picking on me cuz I'm a gurl :'((((" but rather when you enter a mostly male space you will experience the caustic, harsh and competitive but still backhandedly supportive way guys interact. There will be flexing and there will be showboating but it usually comes with a "here's how you can be more like me cuz, heh, that's a great thing to be" at the end.

It's not disciminatory or anything that guys are harsh with you in the way I've outlined. If anything it's an equal treatment as that's how guys treat guys. Newcomers/Novices are always treated harder as a test. If they can't make the first social hurdle how will they make the technical ones? Would the man who caves under a little ribbing be the guy you want when the chips are down and it's a high stress crunch time? Exactly. So that's the reasoning for a lot of the salt you'll see.

Should also probably not bring up gender where it has no real bearing because unless I just got waved through the "insert penis to begin" gate at the entry of the coding kingdom gender is a non-factor in programming and people tend to respect you less for (even the the perception of) wanting "girl privilege" in a gender-neural, male-assumed space.

Good luck, OP. My advice is that in programming you can go as far as you want badly enough to push for but you'll never make it any farther than that. There's never a line past which it as an activity stops being hard so don't ever give up.
>>
I'll say this to every single person who wants to get into programming regardless of their chosen subfield of programming, though this should especially apply to game developers...

LEARN C
>>
File: et536115c5.jpg (38 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
et536115c5.jpg
38 KB, 600x400
We had this thread yesterday, identical post except for the "woman" part
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.