[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you protect your home network from idiotic siblings/parents,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3
File: permanence.png (103 KB, 740x650) Image search: [Google]
permanence.png
103 KB, 740x650
How do you protect your home network from idiotic siblings/parents, gee?
>>
By moving out.
>>
VLAN and moving out
>>
You can't really. If it's in the house, they are going to fuck with it. Putting it behind padlocks won't help either, it will make them nosy.

The best thing you can do is tell them what it is, and to leave it alone since you need it for [unrelated activity here].

Little sister was a shit when it came to mine, but I told her that I needed it to make sure satellites could help lost dogs find their owners and she left it alone.

She even calls dogfinder.
>>
A proper permission system and a door lock.
>>
by not having idiotic siblings/parents

anything breaks or looks iffy, they come see me

anything they don't like or something they would like to have, they come see me
>>
>Not naming each device, server or application after greek gods or constellations

Hoooooo boy
>>
I ran Ethernet from the router in the living room to my room and keep all of my computer stuff in there. A lot of my stuff is either Apple or used enterprise equipment so if I ever see anyone messing with anything I tell them something along the lines of "Break it you owe me [insert no longer applicable new price of hardware here]", that seems to be the most effective.
>>
>>47574687
>not naming each device after movie super computers.
>>
>>47574673
Pretty much this.
>>
>>47574556
I fucking hate XKCD
>>
>>47574705
>tfw I just ran out of ideas for my normal naming scheme and ended up naming my new compile server thegibson
>>
I run two networks.
>>
>not naming your hard drives after German concentration camps and your networks after demonic realms

Step up your edge game.
>>
>>47574701
Also I gave them the password to the 2.4GHz network and reserved the 5GHz network for myself
>>
>>47574725
Fuck you!
>>
>>47574556
i dont
they are competent enough to not fuck up things that bad
i did used to ridicule them when they get viruses from stupid things. they stopped and now have clean functioning computers
>>
>>47574687
>>47574705
>>47574722
>>47574725
>naming schemes
>2015
>being this pleb
guess what fagbo
nobody cares how clever you are
and nobody wants to figure out what your latest stupid name means
just name it for what it does
stick a number on the end
when you add another one that does the same thing
increment the number by one
there
done
now nobody has to come find you and ask you what faggotron.your.stupid.network actually does
>>
>not naming your drives after Talking Heads albums
>>
>>47574762
Whoever said I was trying to impress others with clever or funny names? It's for self amusement you piece of shit. I do it because I can, and it's all the reason I need.
>>
>>47574779
>It's for self amusement
you misspelled "masturbation" fagbot
>>
>>47574782
>no fun allowed
>>
>>47574556
I don't, why would I? Home network? Like a network between computers? Why would I do that?
>>
File: 1357358789752.jpg (15 KB, 293x240) Image search: [Google]
1357358789752.jpg
15 KB, 293x240
>>47574801
>Why would I do that?
>>
two factor authentication and quality of service
>>
I have unsecured VNC ports for my VMs at the moment. I just want to put everything behind a VLAN but I can't get trunk bridging to work in Debian KVM/QEMU. Maybe I should use CentOS...
>>
>>47574722
>thegibson

that's what I name my mac. Your welcome.
>>
>>47574556
It's in my room. No one messes with things in my room. Besides, they all have hardware and they'd hate it if I fucked with their stuff. So it comes down to them being rational, really
>>
>>47574556
By only letting them on my router's guest network and hiding the main SSID
>>
Password protected admin account and make all other accounts limited. Works so far.

Also, you plebs getting pissed about names, go fuck off. They are for fun.

Main Desktop: Thingamacallit
Main Laptop: Whatcamacallit
Linux Desktop: BasementDweller
Linux Laptop: Thingamajig
>>
File: 1434485987501.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1434485987501.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>>47574673
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>47574556
>"Please don't touch this computer stuff"
>"OK"
>nobody ever touches it
have fun living with douchebags
>>
>>47575231
Nice names anon :^)
>>
>>47574556
>living at home
top kek
>>
>>47575285
>a-am i fitting in guys??

Stop shitting on apprentice sysadmin, redditor.
>>
>>47574556
install gentoo
dont give them root
>>
>>47574782
Are you "gens" on phoronix?
>>
>>47576207
Stop defending a tripfag. His trip serves no purpose other than to appease to his dicksucking minions like you.
>>
>>47574556
Moving out I guess, anything short of that is a temporary fix.
>>
>>47574556
VLAN every single computer.
>>
>>47575285
>not knowing apprentice sysadmin
Hi there, you seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post!
>>
>>47577701
this.Im glad that im not living with my parents.
>>
Who /immature subnets/ here?
>10.69.42.0/24
>>
>>47575285
welcome newfriend
stillnotfittingin/10
>>
>>47574556
by not giving them passwords.
they have to come to you for everything.
>installing software
>adding new devices to wifi
and when you tell them no there is nothing they can do
if they fiddle with the network sutff theyll break it and you just refuse to fix it untill they behave and ask you on anything they want to do.
sure it gets annoying sometimes. but atleast this way theyll learn how to behave as a user.
>>
Make it slow as shit for everyone except me
>>
Passwords, as well as having a keyboard with blank keycaps. I'm the only one in my family who knows how to properly type.
>>
>>47575285
10/10 post
>>47576207
>>47579014
>>47579837
Literal fucking faggots. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>47574556
LOL
>>
>>47574556
parents?
What the fuck? Are you 15?
GTFO
>>
>>47580309
Batman, you're drunk, go sleep.
>>
>>47579576

I'm rocking 11.0.0.0/8.
>>
>>47574556
That picture is stupid.

You always name servers by physical location and function and then increment a number

So if it is a domain controller in seattle

sea-dc01

An smtp server in san francisco

sf-smtp01

The backup domain controller in seattle

sea-dc02

etc etc
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.