[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 275x183
What does it take to become a system admin? Are certs a good way to get a job after finishing high school?
>>
> What does it take to become a system admin?
Patience and lack of self-love.

> Are certs a good way to get a job after finishing high school?
The ideal. You should aim for them ASAP since they'll help you develop experience.
>>
>>47543702
knocking your head on the corner of a server chassis a few times will ensure your success at being a sysadmin
>>
>>47543702
>Are certs a good way to get a job after finishing high school?
If you're going to university don't bother, most of them will be expired by the time you finish.
>>
>>47543866

Do employers even check if your certs are expired?
>>
>>47543866
A local computer shop had their certs listed and I looked them up, he had an expired Windows 2000 Systems Engeneer cert (or something like that) I asked him to remove it as it was legacy and potentially misleading. Needless to say he didn't and I'm not welcome there anymore.
>>
Do most sys admins actually have to do more complex stuff like planning a whole intranet for a business or something?

Or are most just there like cheap apes that are there to replace failed HDDs?
>>
you don't need university to become a sysadmin, a community college will do.

hell, a couple of decent summer jobs & your cisco certifications will get you into a fair amount of places.
>>
>>47543951
Maybe if the company is really small they'd have their sysadmin take care of basic network maintenance, but for actual planning and implementation they'd contract it out to someone who knows what they're doing. Any decently sized company will have dedicated network admins.
>>
What does a sysadmin even do?
>>
>>47543702
>>47544053
I make sure people aren't opening cryptolocker on my fucking network.
>>
>>47544053
Funnily most system admins I heard talking about their job said that they sit in front of the computer all day in a basement, browse the internet, eat cheap food and all that while getting fat and never seeing sunlight.

Oh and sometimes they have to work some plugs and cables, apparently.
>>
>>47543840
>Patience and lack of self-love.
Well I sorta got that down, good thing I'm already aiming for that field, right guys?
I'm not miserable for no reason?
I'm doing it to myself, that's the only conclusion I can come up with.
>>
>>47544053
>>47544079
Eat Doritos and watch hentai
>>
>>47544102

This.
>>
>>47544102

>dorito fingers
>touching computer hardware

literall the devil
>>
File: 1349756793244.png (775 KB, 960x716) Image search: [Google]
1349756793244.png
775 KB, 960x716
>>47544053

>jack off

>image new systems

>eat lots of peanut butter

>order some hardware

>browse leddit

>fix gruntilda's keyboard

>jack off in the nice cool server room

>order some ergonomic keyboards

>ride around on the equipment dolly

>plug bob's speakers back in

>boss some interns around

>replace shannon's monitor

>make interns load old servers into your SUV

>clean birdshit off of nichole's laptop

>give interns your keys to dispose of garbage servers

>mail nichole's laptop back to her in the middle of bumfuck, nowhere

>get mad at people who using your office as a hallway

>restart the mail server

>complain to building manager steve about the
flickering light in the hallway

>change the tapes

>go home

>get called in the middle of the night

>cry

that's what mine does.
>>
So far i'm going to school for computer while getting multiple certs in computer networking and server. Am i doing good?
>>
>>47544138

Holy shit that made me laugh.
>>
>>47544138
So much of this is true...
Now I mostly do consulting. Much less painful
>>
File: 1414728060243.gif (2 MB, 288x540) Image search: [Google]
1414728060243.gif
2 MB, 288x540
Experience or nepotism.
>>
leet halo skillz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8_Kfjo3VjU
>>
>>47544261

I graduated along with one of the two sysadmins at my company, he just recently graduated from the dusty storage room to a room with a door code, half of that is true, the other half isn't.

but seriously, we have a remote tech support rep who has something like 3 parrots, and there was bird shit literally covering her keyboard. she mailed it to us because it was broken, we get it, it's covered in shit.

if there was someone else with her knowledge willing to be a support bitch, she'd be gone by now.

oh, also, one time she went to australia, came back, and then was complaining that her internet was slow. something like 3 months later, she sends her system in, and she has her system pointing to an australian proxy server.

she's tech support in a nutshell, from the color of her skin to her level of sanity.
>>
Network Engineer reporting in:

>>47543702
Applications for open system administrator positions, some industry experience and a few certifications if you work for anybody who is worth a damn, but good experience trumps everything.

>>47543915
Anybody you want to work for is going to research your educational and professional background. No, expired certifications are not worth anything in and of themselves, but if you have current ones of a higher level or in a different area, it's always a plus to have them for historical purposes.
All four of my IT employers have checked my certification status, as well as requested at least unofficial transcripts.

>>47543951
A system administrator should never be "planning" an intranet. That is not their job or their area of expertise. You're probably getting hung up on job descriptions in the SMB, where "System Administrator" is tossed around as frequently as "IT Technician" and means about as much.

In the "real" world, system administrators have a quite specific role, which is to administer the systems of that business. This should include all servers and perhaps some other things, like security cameras or something. Beyond that it's a different job.

The sysadmins I work with have no experience or skill with networks, that's my job or the job of a network administrator. Often both good network and system administrators will have some programming experience but by and large we're not at a professional level for that. You should never see a system or network administrator replacing HDD's unless it's in a server...that's tech support or desktop services work.

I'd like to say that network engineering, or even just administration, is an arcane magic. It's not, I happen to be good at it and have a lot of hard-earned experience in the field. A system administrator could not simply step in and do my job, at all. The same applies in reverse.
>>
>>47544138
You work in technical support, you're not a fucking system administrator. An actual sysadmin won't even be interfacing with the end users.
>>
holy shit i just realized what a horror it must be working from home as a tech support rep while owning parrots

those fucking birds must be saying nothing but 'NICHOLE, SPEAKING, HOW MAY I HELP YOU' SQUAAAWK

>>47544400

im not in tech support, but you're right, im not a sysadmin. i'm friends with the sysadmin guys though. they don't talk to end users, but they do do tech support our office systems.
>>
>>47544053
It's the NEET of jobs
>>
>>47544420
Then your friends need to get a better job. Replacing monitors, cleaning and ordering fucking keyboards?

They better be making the combined salary of an office manager, tier-1 technical support guy and a sysadmin if that's what they're doing...
>>
>>47544420
>those fucking birds must be saying nothing but 'NICHOLE, SPEAKING, HOW MAY I HELP YOU' SQUAAAWK

I lol'd heartily
>>
>>47544446

our office isn't that big, we're a satellite office of a pretty big company.

yes, some things are handled remotely, and we couldn't operate properly if head office was suddenly nuked, but they're in control of the local office network and the upkeep of the servers that run here. that's close enough to sysadmin for me.

my friend's boss must have been out of his mind busy every day until my friend was hired to more or less do the bitch work for him.
>>
do you guys make mistakes, and if so what have you done? I am terrified that I'll fuck something up and get fired if I ever get a job
>>
OP here, Thanks for all the replies. This really is the best board on 4chan by far.
>>
File: 1292218362350.png (64 KB, 1152x514) Image search: [Google]
1292218362350.png
64 KB, 1152x514
>>47544535

But moot said /jp/ is best
>>
>>47544544
I am pretty sure he only said that to flood the board with crossboarding newfags as a final troll before leaving.
>>
>>47544390
>I'd like to say that network engineering, or even just administration, is an arcane magic. It's not, I happen to be good at it and have a lot of hard-earned experience in the field. A system administrator could not simply step in and do my job, at all. The same applies in reverse.

why not

>my internet is down

ping the place the person is trying to go, if it does not work reset or fix it

>omg hard
>>
>>47544579
like they needed help.

/jp/ hasn't had an identity for quite a while, and /a/ + /v/ cross-boarders flood it without any help.
>>
>>47544499
Network engineer reporting in again:

When I was first starting in IT, as a computer tech, I once imaged over thirty PC's as they were being used...

Just last week I sent a script to an unsuspecting network admin who ran it without first reviewing. I made a typo on a single line; effectively mistyped a subnet mask in an ACL entry. The effect was that the traffic of several hundred users at a single site was redirected to a firewall when it should have been limited to a single office. It's always an interesting day when you see your resource monitors spike from maybe 15% utilization to nearly 90% in the span of a few minutes.

Most of my mistakes, even the horrible ones, have been fixed before a single end-user noticed. The same goes for the sysadmins I know and work with; that's why we often spend as much time planning for a rollback as we do for the actual change.
>>
>>47544544
Achtuhalee moot said /a/ was the best.
>>
>>47544611
Do tell how many networks you've administered or designed. I'd love to hear about your experience with ASA object-groups and designing a CUCM infrastructure.
>>
>>47544661

the whole internet works without that shit why cant you even get an office to work?
>>
>>47544611
>>47544661

Don't take the bait man!
>>
>>47544677
Nigger please.
>>
>>47544293
I love this video.

Subscribed.
>>
>>47544705

why would you need all that complex shit though unless you work at nasa?
>>
>>47543702

who the fuck wants to be a sysadmin...
>>
>>47544611
>fix it

but how?

network engineers are typically designing and implementing networks, hence the name "network ENGINEER"

there's a surprising amount of shit going on inside your average switch/router nowadays, they're running applications and services just like servers and you have to know how to work their operating systems just like linux/winblows/whatever else sysadmins are fucking with
>>
>>47544720
>why would you need a call manager?
>what is information securty?
>why would a datacenter care about throughput?

there's more to network design and administration than just pinging shit.
>>
>>47544499
you're going to fuck something up in the field eventually

the absolute best way to handle it other than not wrecking shit in the first place is to accept responsibility for it and help do whatever you can to get it fixed.

people make HUGE mistakes that they should probably never touch a live system again after making and keep their jobs if they fess up and get help fixing it. others will get fired over something silly and simple to fix just because they wasted everyone elses time trying to hunt down the root cause while they could have just accepted responsibility and had it fixed in 5 minutes.
>>
>>47544499

No, of course not, we never make mistakes.

With enough experience, you learn to give yourself a fallback should a change go sour.
>>
>>47544757
>there's more to network design and administration than just pinging shit.

proove it
>>
>>47544730
>but how?

reboot it, or replace it and clone the settings, that's what i do

if it was working 5mins ago the settings are ok
>>
>>47544293
>using mac
>sys admin
>>
>>47543702
>What does it take to become a system admin?
hatred for users, disdain for developers, paranoia, and a healthy dose of lazyness.
>>
>>47544819
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/expert/index.html

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/e_track.page#jncieent

>>47544833
And that's why you're not a system administrator, network administrator or engineer in either discipline.
>>
>>47544757
As essentially a business intern with no experience in IT, those logical diagrams for data flow are some arcane wizardry.
Don't get me started on peeling apart fiber routing.
>>
>>47544872

That about covers it.

And the lazyness is an asset if you channel it properly.
>>
>>47544885
>And that's why you're not a system administrator, network administrator or engineer in either discipline.

oh boo hoo im not some faggot that nobody likes

do you think any real person wants that job?
>>
>>47544889
>Don't get me started on peeling apart fiber routing.

why would you do that
>>
>>47544833
cisco switchport configured with port security, sticky MAC addresses and restrict violation.

IP phone is replaced. how do you go about fixing?

>reboot
lel
>replace
there's nothing wrong with the 3,000$ switch and the phone has just been replaced

this is CCENT level shit right here you'd better be able to figure it out.
>>
Can a degree from a vocational school get me places? I done fucked up my life by relying on pc repair booms through high school.
>>
>>47544937
>there's nothing wrong with the 3,000$ switch and the phone has just been replaced

then it's not broken

you are just using it wrong

read the phone manual
>>
>>47544905
in general IT jobs are considered fairly lucrative. upon hearing the terms "network engineer" most people assume I'm doing pretty well. you can't say that about many professions.
>>
What certs should I get to maintain a comfortable middle class existence?
>>
>>47544961
yes, but you might spend a few years on helpdesk before anyone will take you srs

>>47544972
some faggots phone isn't working you'd better fix it or get fired
>>
>>47544905
You know what, you're absolutely correct. Who in their right mind would want to own a three bedroom, two bathroom single-family home in their late twenties? It's absolutely disgusting that my student loan has been paid off and my infant daughter already has $2,500 in her college fund.

Man, it sure does suck to be offered a blank check and a pen when some tech support ass-clown reboots a core switch that hasn't been backed up, with hundreds of changes made since the last write to startup config. It's absolutely not a good feeling when you save a small business from bankruptcy and come away with a nice deposit and yet another letter of reference.

I truly cannot fathom why somebody would like to go to work every day, being very good at something they've worked hard to be very good at.

Stay mad nigger, enjoy your latest iPhone.
>>
>>47545021
>You know what, you're absolutely correct. Who in their right mind would want to own a three bedroom, two bathroom single-family home in their late twenties?

OMG DO YOU HAVE BRAND NAME FURNITURE TOO

fitter happier and more productive
>>
>>47544729
I've thought about it.
>>
>>47545038

Sorry friend, haven't made it to Ikea yet this week since I'm so busy being awesome.

If you give me your address, I'll send you some cash for the gym where you can pretend to be happy with your pasty gut and more productive on the Stair Master.
>>
>>47544885
Reminder none of those are engineers.
>>
>>47545070
Proove it.
>>
>>47545098
Legal definition of professional engineer
ABET accreditation
>>
>>47543866
Msft certs don't expire
>>
are IT programs in most colleges shitty? I've heard that getting a comp sci degree is much better. I guess it does open more doors but
>>
>>47545119
ABET includes the IEEE and CSAB, you nut nut kookie pants.
>>
>>47545162
Pretty much, yes. But a CS degree will mainly just involve programming and theory. Funny thing is that once you have that degree you can pretty much do whatever after that, but not exactly vice versa. But actually you can do literally anything so long as you have experience and or hookups and or both.
>>
>>47545162
They're different disciplines, that's like asking whether an art degree is better than a music degree.
>>
Physics = Mathematics > EE >> CS >>>>> IT
>>
>>47545236
you didnt mention CIS, MIS, or CE. fagit.
>>
>>47545236
Physics fag detected

Mathematics >>>>>>>>> plebsics
>>
>>47545283
>MIS

lol
>>
>>47545325
laugh all you want, my friend graduated with an MIS degree and he got a job making $70k/yr starting. In the end theres no difference once you get in and get experience.
>>
>>47545342

he could have gotten a degree in accounting and done the same thing
>>
>>47545358
(I wasn't referring to money made vs other degree like hurr durr math phd 300k starting vs IT 30k/yr, just saying.)
yeah or he could have had no degree at all, and just gotten a hookup somewhere and done the same thing. His brother works IT and has nothing but a realtor's license. The point is laughing about it is stupid, because in reality they are just pieces of paper and dont exactly dictate what you can and cannot do.
>>
File: 1394491865247.jpg (96 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1394491865247.jpg
96 KB, 500x375
>>47545236
sociology is just applied psychology is just applied biology is just applied chemistry is just applied physics is just applied mathematics is just applied logic is just applied philosophy
>>
>>47544915
Translating diagrams to bring things out of the stone ages.
>>
>>47545358
As someone doing both, I'd rather not go into accounting.
>>
>>47544293
I shat on my chair.
>>
>>47544937

CCNA here. Remove a secure mac or up the maximum value on port security.

or reboot switch, lol.
>>
File: 1361652717869.gif (3 MB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
1361652717869.gif
3 MB, 290x189
>>47544293
kek everitiem
>>
>>47545191

yeah, you can win the lottery too, or drive into a river.

anything is possible. be what you want to be.
>>
>>47546687
Don't you have a math phd to finish?
>>
DBA reporting in. We're like the coolest guys in IT.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.