[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.technibble.com/are-we-c ompletely-wiping-that-ha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (1012 KB, 2052x1532) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1012 KB, 2052x1532
https://www.technibble.com/are-we-completely-wiping-that-hard-disk/
How do I secure erase my disk drive then?
>>
Have you ever heard of magnets, anon?
>>
>>47523120
This, /thread
>>
>>47523085
>but what if the user would like to use the old hardware for non-sensitive data in another way
Hard drives are cheap. If the data is really so sensitive, destroy the drive.
>>
>>47523085
screw open the drive, damage the platters on both sides, done
>>
>>47523085
Put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes...
>>
>>47523166
It's just a few .iso files of movie back-ups and tutorials I torrented. Still don't wanna get caught up if my faggot roommate wants to be a snitch, and I presume he may, as he's going to get evicted.
>>
Did you read the article you just posted, it tells you exactly how to wipe the whole disk including the HPA
>>
>>47523085
>Secure Erase (SE) is a feature built into all ATA drives with 15 GB or greater capacity manufactured after 2001.

>Not reading the article you're posting
>>
>>47523085
Buy a Degausser
>>
is dd enough?
>>
File: image.jpg (281 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281 KB, 768x1024
I follow the link to the product they're trying to advertise and it seems no better. Are there tools designed outside of the country?
>>
DBAN is plenty for you. Sure, you may need more if you're running an international criminal empire, but if you're only pirating movies you'll be fine.
>>
>>47523234
They don't tell me how to use it.. If there's a built in tool, how do I use it? Options in the bios?
>>
>>47523255
Evidence is evidence. They'll have evidence that I tried to destroy evidence at the very least, which is a crime in itself.
>>
>>47523279

And no one will do anything to you for pirating movies. Law enforcement has more important things to worry about than some guy who wanted to watch Twilight without paying for it.

Piracy is a trivial crime. The cops will not bother investigating you, and if they do they will not bother taking your computer to do intensive forensics.
>>
>>47523279
Drill 3 screws into the drive

or >>47523247
>>
>>47523296
I don't see why not, it's a federal crime technically. I even encode my own torrents from time to time.
>>
>>47523316

The feds have more important things to worry about. Yes, sharing movies is illegal. However, it is such a minor crime that they won't bother. Same way that smoking weed is a crime but the cops (where I live, at least) consider it a trivial offense and never arrest people for it unless they're driving or giving weed to children.

Furthermore, your roommate's testimony might not be enough evidence to get a warrant.
>>
>>47523391
Would they need multiple warrants? One to enter the house, and another to detain my computer for evidence?
>>
Physical destruction is the only way to be 100 percent sure.
>>
>>47523085
When I need to destroy a hard drive I simply go onto a ferry and throw it off the side into the ocean. I don't need to buy any equipment and I get to enjoy a nice ride on a boat.
>>
>>47523085
>dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sd[]
>good magnets
>thermite

If you've done all 3, everything is gone.
>>
>>47523426
So im sitting here for the next four hours for nothing practically.. Great.
>>
>>47523482
Well, wipe it and then physically destroy the drive.

Government agencies use machines that smash, shred, or degauss the drives, military units use thermite to destroy their equipment if they don't have time to dispose of it normally.
>>
>>47523761
Am a poorfag though, would like to keep the drive. As for my solid state, I used the Samsung magician to secure erase it. How secure do you think it really is though?
>>
>>47523863
proprietary tool for secure deleting ?
answer that to yourself ...
>>
>>47523878
>Still not a single recommendation
>>
>>47524092
Unless your hard drive has a HPA, any tool will do. If it does, you can use hdparm on Linux to disable it, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area#Manipulation_methods
>>
>>47524092
my recommendations >>47523475
I would prefer the first one ... the other 2 will destroy it physically :^)
>>
>>47524139
I was under the implications that the hpa was being created by DBAN, due to the fact that the application doesn't secure erase the location it's running from.
>it's running from the cd
I took the cd out and it's still wiping the drive.
>>
>>47524307
It runs from RAM, dimwit.
>>
https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase
>>
>>47523279
uh, how them know it evidence?
>>
File: 1428538427027.jpg (299 KB, 813x989) Image search: [Google]
1428538427027.jpg
299 KB, 813x989
If it's just pirated files, don't bother. Move the files to an encrypted hidden partition if you're really that paranoid.
Campus IT is well aware that people torrent and unless they're seeding without a limit nonstop, they really won't care.
If you have more delicate data you need to ditch than thermite for sure.
>>
>Open the disk in raw mode
>Read the file table
>replace the files you want erased with garbage
>Erase them from the file table
Was that so fucking hard?
>>
>>47523211
 # shred -n 2 -v -z /dev/sdX 
>>
>>47524326
Good to know. Similar to puppy Linux.
>>47524395
It's wiping the disk, and refilling it with 'random' data three times. There's going to be evidence that you tried to cover some thing up if they look at the random data
>>47524478
Yes.
>>
>>47524536
>three times
For what purpose?
>>
>>47523085
Shitty article.

Fucking overwrite it completely with ANYTHING once, it's safe enough.

http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/16130-The-Urban-Legend-of-Multipass-Hard-Disk-Overwrite.html
>>
>>47524546
That's the standard when you choose the autonuke command. Otherwise you can do up to 30 passes with the gutman ect.
>>
>>47524578
PS: M...muh HPA.

Fucking dmesg shows if you have a HPA. The sleuth kit shows if you have a HPA. "hdparm -N /dev/sdX" shows if you have a HPA.

If you don't, you don't. And you almost certainly don't have a HPA.
>>
>>47524635
...why would you do more than 1 pass?
>>
>>47523413
Is there something your not telling us? I doubt you're so worried about pirating movies
>>
>>47524653
>implying 4chan

cp
>>
>>47524653
It's just nice to know you've got a clean slate to work with. All my documents and photos are gone, all my rips, all my logs, ect. I just wanna make sure they stay gone.
>>
>>47524536
>refilling it with 'random' data
that's why you fill it with zeros on the last pass. the drive is then indistinguishable from a factory fresh drive.
>>
>>47524686
Zero the drive. Once. And it's gone.
>>
>>47524691
It's not recoverable even if the only pass is zeroing.
>>
dd if=/dev/urandom of=dev/sd*
>>
>>47523211
Who the actual fuck is going to care about a few movies?
>>
>>47523120
good luck restoring the cylinder/sector boundaries
>>
>>47524781
DMCA, FBI, ect
>>
do you need to encrypt HPA on ssd when doing full system drive encryption?
>>
>>47524695
Why is there not a bootable disc that zeros it for me? Sounds like a simple program to make and would generate ad revenue. Somebody should hop on that, and license it under gnu
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.