[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lecturer at my uni just went full freetard has anyone else experienced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 6
File: Capture.png (43 KB, 1061x422) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
43 KB, 1061x422
Lecturer at my uni just went full freetard

has anyone else experienced this?
>>
Seems like a good guy.
>>
All of my good professors always exported to pdf, yes.
>>
Seems good, you do not want professors giving slides or documents in anything that is not PDF.
>>
>>47486062
Why? He documented the technical background required to properly view his presentation so students can troubleshoot most problems themselves without needing to ask the lecturer.
>the free open source office suite
This part is a little cringe, but all in all it's quite alright.
>>
>>47486062

>not doing presentations with beamer

Enjoy your shitty uni.
>>
Kek i have a lecturer like this too
>>
>full freetard
>"Oh, here's a pdf version. And you can also open them in MS Powerpoint, but they may not display entirely correctly"

Not. Even. Close.
>>
>>47486177
PDF is an open format though.
>>
>>47486062
Why would you not use LibreOffice if it's as good as MSOffice for 99% of the tasks. (And 100% of school tasks.)
>>
>>47486149
He expects his students to be too stupid to find Libre Office on their own, it can't be something technical and you should applaud some liberal arts guy to be able to make his own slides.
>>
>>47486192

Real freetards turn all their presentations into OGG Theora videos.
>>
>>47486192
He didn't recommend not using proprietary viewers, though.
>>
File: 1376397571576.jpg (286 KB, 966x750) Image search: [Google]
1376397571576.jpg
286 KB, 966x750
>old IT prof in my uni used to be chill and pretty casual
>''what works just works''
>got into talk with him randomly and talked about Linux and the whole free-business
>one year later he was Stallman 2.0 and now forces everyone to go for FreeBSD, Slack and Debian
>>
I learned about LaTeX from my comparative literature professor.
>>
>>47486062
>Lecturer at my uni just went full freetard
>has anyone else experienced this?

Yes.
>looking forward to a harmless software course
>some java, xml, uml, oop, some spatial topics
>boring, but good environment for what we do
>easy creds

>lecturer announces:
>instead we will do javascript and webdev, because it's "more hip"
>doesn't show "use strict";
>doesn't explain var scope correct
>recommends Atom, Brackets and literally notepad
>recommends Node, even instead of io.js, to which his shitty Atom has changed at least

I'm pretty sure they never actually programmed something worthwhile.
>>
My uni has a policy whereby you can contest (and get for free as in beer) if you need to use any non-free software that isn't pre-disclosed in the course guide.

All documents uploaded need to be available in PDF/A (other formats are allowed but must be supplementary) and all multimodal content is available in vp8 or vorbis (again, other formats can be had but only if a free format is available as well).
>>
>>47486265
>Debian
>Slack
>Stallman
[sadstallman.jpg]
>>
>>47486377
whats wrong with brackets?
its very comfortable to work with and if you miss a feature its probably already exists as a plugin.
also that inline editing of other files and that sweet as live preview.
>>
>>47486062
How is this a bad thing? I wish my profs were like this. The more people that spread the message of FLOSS, the better.
>>
>>47486149
>beamer
Wow, that's too fucking German for me.
>>
>>47486062
He seems reasonable. Like he is a freetard but isn't shoving it down your throat. He also gives you a pdf version of the notes, so you're fine.
>>
>>47486797
>but isn't shoving it down your throat
Which means he's not a freetard
>>
>>47486062
That lecturer of yours seems to know what hes talking about you should engage in conversation with him
>>
>>47486062
what's your problem with that email?
>>
too bad libre office is SHIT
>>
>>47487224
It's just some slides anyway
>>
>>47486265
Why did you ruin a persons life anon ?
>>
>>47486062
>full freetard
>running Ubuntu
Why bother?
>>
Yeah, I've never even seen anyone from my department running anything else than Linux.
>>
>>47486062

I did most of my presentations in PDF, because all PCs on the beamers ran Windows
>>
>>47486062
>talks about open source
>freetard
No, absolutely not. If he's a freetard as you claim, he was born by artificial insemination with stolen sperm. We are not supporters of open source, we do not agree with basic values of open source, we do not try to participate in open source activities and when anyone refers to our work with that term we take offense. You really shouldn't have done that. You should've known better.
>>
>>47486192
A subset of PDF is open.
>>
>>47486062
PDF STRONG
>>
>>47486265
FreeBSD werks pretty nicely though.
>>
>>47486265
Are you like /g/ IRL ?
>>
>>47486062
Go to your student rep or whatever you have and make a complaint to be raised at the next staff meeting about your professor making it purposely difficult for you to access course material and even making snarky readme's about how it has been made to be crippled under students software.
>>
>>47487674
Literally cancer.
>>
I love how whenever you want to show someone a document with LibreOffice, you have to give them a list of warnings so that a majority of normal people can even open it.
>>
>>47487704
I've been using LO for years and never had problems with opening and viewing MO documents made by dinosaur professors. Some people should just use a computer before going to study IT/CS for "muh money"
>>
>>47487674
Kill yourself
>>
>>47486062

>not doing the slides in beamer

0/10 would not take class
>>
>>47486207
Because for a school MSOffice is free assuming they decided to fork over the $400 bucks for dreamspark
>>
>>47487674
>help I can't open a pdf
majoring in women studies
>>
>>47486062
Sire Microsoft does not like this.
A hotfix has been sent to the University.
Changelog:
The offending professor has been sent to the Gulag for re-education.
>>
Provided both the common document format and his preferred one, along with instructions on how to view his preferred format.

Nothing wrong there.
>>
Honestly, FOSS should be the standard in academia. Last time I was at Columbia University, I noticed they had Linux on their machines.
>>
>ctrl-f
>no pandoc
Use pandoc. It can convert .tex to .docx. I'm not really sure about the effectiveness tho but it worth a try. I would convert to rtf tho and only do the docx conversion in MS Office. I'm pretty sure you will lose formatting of sections and headers tho.
>>
>>47487619
What is not open in PDF? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>47487674
I've done this twice in my uni career. First time the guy was so buttmad that he quit and became an adjunct at another university lmao. Second time the guy switched to ms office but I ended up switching professors because I could tell he knew I was the one who lodged the complaint.
>>
>>47487903
Ebin trollle
>>
>>47487903
Nice fiction
>>
>>47487903
I did it too but only to a fellow student who emailed our group odt word documents that went to shit when opened.

The worst part was I even downloaded fucking libreoffice and it still didn't open right. Eventually I just complained about him and he was given a warning and we got 2 week extension to make up for wasted time.

No idea if libreoffice is still so shitty, this was 1.5 years ago and I get Office for free so the fuck if I care.
>>
>>47488027
libreoffice is a little better now, but still pure shit. Even simple things like printing a powerpoint presentation in 2x8 format per page is difficult and annoying with libreoffice, and the end result looks like shit
>>
Why is LibreOffice so slow? Even with all the bloat Microsoft Office runs faster in my machine.
>>
I don't think he's a freetard, I think he's just your average CS professor who likes Linux because trying to just sit down and fucking code in Windows is a bitch, and they'd rather not spend a bunch of money on Macbook.
>>
>>47486062

>tbh

Pleb lecturer.
>>
>>47488145
But coding in Windows is actually easier.
>>
>>47488189
the sdk is kind of a pain
>>
>>47488265
Are you dumb? I feel like people that think "programming in Windows is hard" have never done it.
>>
>>47486062
WTF? He is such a nice dude using open formats and saving you money by not becoming a Microcuck.

My uni all the professors use Office 2013/365 and I can no longer use 2007 to edit files cus formatting and fonts don't interchange properly even among MS Office versions now.
>>
>>47488296
It's easier in Linux because all of the tools you need are built in or installed easily via package managers.
>>
>>47488400
>i can't download things
>omg so hard
>>
>>47488413
>2+ gb sdk to compile hello world
>>
>>47486062
Thats exactly how it should be done.
>LO works on any OS
>anybody can use it completely for free
>proprietards can just install it next to Microsoft Office, it won't hurt them in any way
If you can't be assed to just install one single software for a course then I can't help you.
>>
>>47488296
I've programmed with both and it is easier with Linux
>>
>>47488549
CS 101 algorithms don't count. We are talking about real software here.
>>
>>47488619
>real software

Define real software
>>
>>47488691
things people use. not obscure garbage like pacman
>>
>>47488704
I've written things people use with Linux, Windows and OSX. Your point being?
>>
>>47488145
OP here, he's a physics professor
>>
>>47488531
i doubt you could help any of us with anything poster
>>
>>47488531
This. Seriously, every time a professor sends files in docx I fucking rage. At least export it to pdf man.
>>
>>47488296
>have never
I've ported software to Windows many times and it always was a shitty experience.

WinAPI is horrible, you don't have any package manager and need to resolve dependencies for yourself for every supported architecture, Windows is the only OS that is causing this much trouble.

You need to bundle all binaries, which can cause you to pull in several GB of stuff in certain cases (Boost libraries). You need to handle library updates manually cause you don't have a package manager that will do it for you in case of security problems.

The only way to make Windows dev bearable is when you can afford to only ship for Windows and use all those nice sugar coating and abstraction Microsoft has created around their horrible core, but those times are long over which leaves you with a shitty development platform.
>>
>>47489021
Well, I could definitely help you with your capitalization and your punctuation.
>>
The official CS department workflow at UNH involved doing your homework with the fileserver mounted over SSHFS. The recommendation for Windows users was "get a real operating system." It was so funny watching the winplebs struggle with WinSCP and cmd.exe while the Macfags and us Linux users just got our shit done.
>>
>>47486149
This

LibreOffice is complete garbage
>>
>>47489104
Just use the Microsoft VS Redistributable. You rarely have to bundle dependencies, most things you'll need have installers from Microsoft your users are supposed to install. Like DirectX, .NET, whatever.
The rest just needs you to include some dlls, and updating those would have you need to recompile the program anyway since they will continue to use whatever version they were linked to at compiling time.
>>
>Professor uses 100% free software
>/g/ gets mad

What the hell? He could've forced you to use some $60 paid software for his class like Top Hat monocle, instead he's giving you shit for free. What's the problem here?
>>
>>47489104
I treat Windows as an embedded target. Debian packages a MinGW cross compiler toolchain, so I just build shit in Qt and use that.
>>
>>47489244
>>Professor uses 100% free software
>>Windows shills on /g/ get mad
FTFY. Real /g/ loves that.
>>
>>47489104
>You need to bundle all binaries, which can cause you to pull in several GB of stuff in certain cases (Boost libraries)

That's because you are an idiot and should not be developing for Windows. Link statically. Same with >>47489240
>>
>>47486760
>not making your presentations with a LaTeX documentclass often confused for a brand of German automobiles
>>
>>47489244
His choice in free software was horrible and very liberal artsy
>>
>>47486062

I wish all my professors were freetards.
>>
>>47489295
built statically or does it work with official qt dlls?
>>
>>47489355
Go and study CS
>>
>>47489104
I feel like this is less of a description of difficulty of porting a program to Windows and more of a description of the deficiency in cross-platform application frameworks
>>
>>47489244
Mostly just /vindows autists complaining.
>>
>>47488027
He was probably using an ancient version of LO.

Office does the same thing.

Either way, libreoffice really isn't shitty, as long as you don't have to deal with microsoft formats.
And since MSO supports odt now, you don't have to.

Export to ODTs, standard format of Britain Gov!
>>
>>47489244
>>47489505

Remember, some kids are really, fucking stupid with anything tech.

That's probably why he went in depth with explaining LO.
(Not like office doesn't have the same issues, I don't believe it embeds fonts like PDF either)

He'd almost certainly have to do the same with any other format.
>>
>>47489428
I did, and I just got a bunch of Theo fags.

I still think it's great, the tears of windows users forced to use openBSD is a great feeling.
>>
>>47489471
Well, there are, just not for when you want to hit up windows.
>>
>>47489329
Static linking is for people who want to develop bloatware.And the fact that it is preferred on windows shows that windows is still stuck in the 90's.There is only 1 good reason to statically link,that is to make your app future proof,but if you don't plan to support your application,why make it at all?
>>
>>47489571
>forcing people to use software

That goes against the spirit of free software
>>
>>47489597
openBSD isn't Free Software though.

and you have to force people to use some things.
>>
>>47489597
Not really.
Free software is just a fight for the consumers rights.
>>
>>47486062
And that's why he's a lecturer and not someone who actually works in the industry.
>>
>>47489642
I misplaced the 'the'.
But in all honesty free software is a fight to free the source code and to allow the consumer to do things to software which traditional closed source eula's do not allow.Basically with open source software you do not own a licence to use software,you own the actual code.
>>
>>47489381

Qt has separate libraries (including shared) for both VC++ and MinGW. Most C++ libraries are like this.
>>
>everyone assumes it's a man

God, this board is such a fucking sausagefest.
>>
>>47489305
>real /g/
fuck off with your freetard hivemind fucking commie.
>>
>2015
>subjecting your students to Death By PowerPoint (or whatever)

The best professors I had just fucking talked and occasionally drew on a whiteboard while you furiously scribbled notes with your alcohol-induced-cramped hands.

Not saying your professor is the same, but a lot I've seen lately have a problem with flipping through slides and boring the shit out of everybody.
>>
>>47486062
This lecturer is doing it perfectly fine.

He provides not just one, but two cross-platform readers that are fairly widely used and don't require even a specific implementation of a certain software and have free as well as open sauce viewers.

He points at the most common free viewers/editors, too.

We should wish all lecturers are like that, and not fucking MS / OSX fanboys that require a set of a proprietary OS together with 10 proprietary tools to just read / edit a fucking graph and work on the basics of SQL or something like that.
>>
>>47489588
There are many libraries that install to common folders on Windows. Boost isn't one of them.

Your entire post reeks of ignorance and misunderstandings by the way
>WinAPI is horrible, you don't have any package manager and need to resolve dependencies for yourself for every supported architecture
Not a WinAPI issue. WinAPI doesn't even vary "by supported architecture", what the fuck. There are small differences between Windows versions, but you can easily check for the availability of functions. Full backwards compatibility.

>several GB of stuff
Complete BS. You don't link unused functions (unlike certain freetard linkers which are dumb as bricks, e.g. GCC)
>>
>>47489722
We're discussing technology, of course we assume it's a man you fucking moron.
>>
>>47489816
I think that's a grammer era, and him mentioning two separate, and valid issues.
>>
>>47489828
*tips fedora*
>>
>>47489861
Are you really telling me that 50% or anywhere even remotely close to that number of people interested in tech are women? I'm not saying it's not a woman, and I'm not saying it can't be, but it is rather safe to assume it's a man.
>>
>>47489750
Death by powerpoint is real. Actually writing the stuff is just better imo. I also like that my school almost exclusively uses blackboards, which feels so fitting for a university.
>>
>>47489897
You don't need to be interested in tech to use Libre Office or Ubuntu LTS
>>
>>47489897
more than 90% of CS professors are male
>>
>>47489588
Uriel would like to have a word with you.
http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/dynamic-linking/
>>
>>47489927
My point exactly
>>
>>47489750
Now some of them use freestyler or smartboards.
>>
File: 1404349354091.png (163 KB, 413x451) Image search: [Google]
1404349354091.png
163 KB, 413x451
>>47489223
My school forced all of our C projects to be compiled and run on remote Linux boxes. Of course you could develop locally, but final submissions had to work in their Red Hat environment. Suffice to say the people who had never used a terminal extensively before had a hard time, especially in the OS class, but I wondered what they were doing in a CS program anyway.

Why would someone who is genuinely interested in computers, to the extent they want to work with computers, stick with the same OS that came with their shitty HP and never even have the curiosity to experiment? Always blew my mind. And this is anecdotal but I noticed that those people were usually poorer programmers and seemed to be in the field only for the money/job safety rather than any actual interest. They were also far more likely to switch majors 2 years into their undergrad because of boredom or an abysmal GPA.

>>47489654
He offers a pdf. There's nothing wrong with offering LibreOffice files instead of Microsoft Office files in addition to the pdf. If anything that is what ALL of our universities should be doing. The cost of education is astronomical right now, it's an unsustainable bubble, and anything that can be done to reduce that cost should be applauded. American college students get fucked long and hard enough as it is by the textbook industry.

My school forced us to purchase a software bundle, which included Microsoft Office, whether you already had the software or not. That's bullshit. It's basically a tax on college students that gets funneled directly into Microsoft's coffers. And it's not uncommon because Microsoft is not dumb. They know they can arrange these "agreements" with universities all over the country and make a nice profit while directly contributing to the exploding cost of education.

The people who learn Windows and Microsoft tools and never experiment or deviate throughout the course of their entire career are more likely to be bad programmers.
>>
>>47486062
>I'm using free software so you are free of working documents and comfortable usage.
>You are also free to kiss my ass.
>>
>>47486860
> conversation
:^)
>>
>>47486062
>first 2 minutes of first lecture about Linux
>it crashes
It was fun
>>
>>47486062
>Ubuntu
>Freetard
Pick one.
>>
>>47489958
Many people started to get interested in CS due to them being gamers, who happen to use windows a lot.
>>
>>47486062
>professor documents how to view the lectures
>Doesn't use a format that requires his students to get software that costs money
>Exports in two formats in case students are having problems
>Suggests options for the students to use
Seems like an alright guy to me
>>
>>47489914
My professor just uses a wacam tablet + macbook, and types as he talks.
>>
>>47487662
Are you like /v/ IRL?
>>
>>47486062
I would actually be extremely happy if my professors did this as I use Libreoffice. Libre can handle all the M$ shit they post but its nice anyway
>>
>>47489927
Who said this professor was in the CS department?
>>
File: reagan thinks you are mad.jpg (24 KB, 307x200) Image search: [Google]
reagan thinks you are mad.jpg
24 KB, 307x200
>Person who dedicated his life to educating younger generations takes action to encourage the usage of free and healthy alternatives to broken corporate-shit that costs shitloads of money if used by the law.
>Windows users get all buttblasted hurrr microsoft dindu nuffin

>my face when

Usage of non-free software in public schools should be fucking illegal.
>>
>>47489929
>http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/dynamic-linking/
Dynamic linking is far from perfect.But I still prefer it.
>>
>>47490025
>you have to eat shit because it's free
>>
>>47486062
>get in class assignment in .doc
>open in libreoffice
>format is fucked beyond repair
>100s of blank pages

>end up having to pull my work laptop out to open the shithead

if your prof doesn't export to pdf he's a faggot and anyone who uses nonstandard compliant formats is a bigger faggot.
>>
>>47489958
What shitty college doesn't have student software programs? I live a third world shithole and we get free Microsoft software throught Microsoft Spark in college.
>>
>>47490069
>implying it's shit

At the very least, non-free formats for public things should be avoided, like what the british gov is doing with ODT/HTML/PDF only documents.

Then you can use whatever reader you want.

(Yes, doc is technically free, but it's a convoluted, obscured mess, and office doesn't even follow those specs, so not really.)
>>
>>47490025
>dindu nuffin
>reagan
I bet you think Reagan lowered taxes too, huh? Go back to /pol/.
>>
>>47490099
>implying libreoffice isn't shit
>>
>>47490095
Great!
Now you're college tuition is boosted by that much, and you have to use windows/osx on your computer to run them.

Do you think the money magically appears somewhere when the uni pays for it?
It comes from tuition and taxes.
>>
In my experience, the only teachers that don't use free software are the technologically impaired.
If you find teachers from computer related courses using Windows/etc you should get the fuck out of that place.
>>
>>47490120
It's not, at least writer isn't.

And good job ignoring the main point, which is that open formats and standards are the important thing.
>>
>>47490121
>you're college
I understand everything now.

We aren't forced to download microsoft software faggot.
>>
>>47490120
What's wrong with Libre Office in your opinion? I've never had a problem with it, I regularly use Writer and Calc, they does what I use them for just fine.
>>
>>47490071
I had a calc professor once who has all of his lectures as a giant docx and he just scrolled through it
>>47490025
I couldn't agree more.
>>47490099
I was not aware of this initiative by the british government, but right on
>>47490120
Implying it is
>>47490122
I went to a shitty community college for my first two years of college, and everyone there used Windows or OS X, and everyone thought I was some kind of computer wizurd just because I had ubuntu on my laptop, when in reality it was because I was tired of defragmenting and constantly cleaning

There's this sort of weird mystic fog that surrounds non commercial software, like it might bite or something.
>>
>>47490130
>It's not
I know many blind freetards but you are winning right now, LibreOffice is trash
>>
>>47490154
Read my post again and see if it comes to you.

Doesn't matter if you download them or not, if the college is paying for them, the money comes from somewhere.

Your college has a budget, you know?
>>
>>47488048
oh yeah, I forgot about this
I'm mostly happy with LibreOffice, but printing slides with it was fucking awful.

although, I'm pretty sure the presentation part of it is the weakest part of it as well, it's just not very good overall
>>
>>47490154
You're focusing too much on his grammar error and not his point. You are paying for those, "free," products, indirectly through your tuition. There are better places that money could have gone.
>>
>>47490182
Writer is just fine, take your MS goggles off.
It only has problems when you have to deal with complex docx and doc files.

Also, my point is specifically writer, which is the most commonly used one.
The rest of the suite can be very iffy, but still mainly just MS format problems.
>>
>>47490166
>docx

at least docx has a "standard" but M$ doesn't fucking comply to it so I guess it's meaningless.
>>
>>47490196
It's good deal for me. Well it was then VS Community edition came out and I don't need DreamSpark no more. Some students may benefit from all the shit we can download there though
>>
>>47487781
you're such a disgusting sucker
>>
>>47490236
Does Microsoft actually not comply with their own standard? That's hilarious.
>>
File: 9345893487.gif (4 KB, 478x492) Image search: [Google]
9345893487.gif
4 KB, 478x492
>>47490196
>>47490190
blowhard freetards detected, completely missing the point like usually
>>
>>47490281
No, I think you'd rather just ignore the point instead.
>>
File: 1426991071258.png (174 KB, 468x210) Image search: [Google]
1426991071258.png
174 KB, 468x210
>>47490095
>What shitty college doesn't have student software programs? I live a third world shithole and we get free Microsoft software throught Microsoft Spark in college.
"Free." Right. Come on man. You think Microsoft donated that software to your school? You're paying for it indirectly, whether you need it or not, through tuition & fees.

I was not mandated to install any of the software in the bundle, but all freshmen were required to purchase the bundle. Even if you are not charged directly for the "student software bundle" at your school, I assure you, the costs are being passed down to you, in some form. Microsoft is a business not a charity. They do not do things for free.

Your school pays Microsoft big bucks for what is called a "campus license agreement," and you pay the school to attend. In effect, it's a Microsoft tax levied on students, who (at least in the US) are already getting megafucked.

I guarantee you the professor in the OP knew some butthurt Windaz fans would be upset and provide him with negative feedback, and he did it anyway, because it's the ethically correct and financially sane thing to do. It's too bad the administrators in academia aren't like him.
>>
>>47490398
Actually, I could imagine microsoft "donating" software to schools, so that the students would grow up learning how to use that software, and would stick to it in the future
>start 'em young
>>
>>47486265
My high school computer science teacher gave out CDs with Linux distros to students.

He also taught us C.

He's a great guy tbh, I still keep in touch with him.
>>
>>47490528
Also we did some sabotage together:

>teaches hates our asshole principal just like everyone else
>local company sponsored some stuff for school for the publicity
>principal made the compsci teacher make a "cool" flash banner for the company's page in exchange
>teacher makes one but is angry because doing projects for external companies so the principal can cozy up to them is not in his job description
>teacher knows Anon does ActionScript (this was like 2005)
>teacher gets Anon to write a script which broke the banner and screwed with the company's page a few days after the teacher quit his job
>>
>>47486062
The only open source lover that I know is me. no freetards around here
>>
>>47490398
Yup.
At least when they make you purchase the software,
A) I don't have to support it
B) All the people using it go, hey, wtf, this shit is expensive, now that my parents tuition money isn't paying for it!
>>
>>47490278
it's not necessarily that, but they intentionally wrote it to make it confusing and very long tot he point that reviewing the "standard" would take years.

M$'s implemtations seem to conflict occasionally with FOSS OOXML implementations.

hard to say who right either, but since M$ made the "standard" the way they did, I blame them for any compatibility issues.
>>
>>47490674
It's either a case of high incompetency, or intentional obfuscation.

Probably both.
>>
>>47490692
I don't see a clear different between incompetency and obfuscation
>>
The thing I hated most about the first semesters in CS was the freetards.
>>
>>47490729
Well, one causes the other, but the other is not necessarily only caused by one.
It's an if, not an iff.
>>
>>47486062
>Teacher uses LibreOffice®
How is that "going full freetard"? He's using harmful software that other people programmed to take away the freedom of people using it.
>>
>>47490758
Fair enough
>>47490730
I wouldn't have minded having a few of them to talk to. I don't agree with the freelibre politics, but they're an aware bunch, and they're good conversationalists.
>>
>>47490692
to be honest it doesn't matter.

after doing a "group paper" with a MSO faggots and dealing with subtle format fuckups, I stopped using binary document formats.

LaTeX may be a joke to some users on /g/ and I'll be honest, it's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it's a plaintext format that can be version controlled without fuckspensive binary diffs and also has the bonus of scaring away the shitty CS kiddies that are retarded or afraid to learn a different way of doing things.

I honestly don't see the point of odt or docx.
>>
>>47490904
Oh I agree.
I tend to use org mode though, which is great since most of my friends are also emacs users, and we have orgies.

Using git for large documents is a god send.
>>
>>47490969
I wish there was a git-based document site, where each user could fork their own version of a document, then merge their changes into the parent.
>>
>>47491082
You can do that on github, although it's sorta awkward.

Could be an interesting project through.
>>
>>47490844
Nah, most of them were autistic neckbeards that couldn't handle the heat and dropped out.
>>
>>47491101
Yeah, some friends and I tried it out on github, but it was kinda shitty
>>
>>47491190
>autistic neckbeards that couldn't handle the heat
Most of those I've seen are the gamers.

The freetards I've seen have been fairly competent.
>>
That's no freetard.

A dude at my undergrad in the late 90s tried to get us to go all Linux at the time. Most of my classmates were incapable of using any OS, much less early Linux.
We tried to tell him that it wouldn't work for most people, but we could consider Mac to avoid MS's monopoly. He said no. A year before he was an Apple militant, but we said "they're both for profit." Then he came back a freetard.
>>
>>47491218
*by dude, I mean faculty member of the IT committee. I was a student member att
>>
>>47490904
>without expensive diffs
All you have to do is make the latest version the full one and make the diffs in reverse. Why isn't this done? I do this all the time for my own programs.
>>
>>47491216
Same. The autistic neckbeards are the anime/yugioh/halo/nintendo/waifu crowd, and I'm good without them
>>47491218
>incapable of using any OS
wut
Seriously tho, that guy is just a sheep looking for some kind of cause to devote himself to. He's the same as the guy who tries to be the stereotypical stoner or gamer or jock. They're equally sad and two dimensional
>>
>>47491263
I worked at the dorm IT fixer. Most of my classmates were not very good with computers. Somehow I doubt that's different now, except for phones.
>>
>>47491263
Meh, video games and anime are fine in moderation.

It's when you carry around a fuck huge gaming laptop/whatever, and can't talk about anything else.

These people also tend to be overweight from lack of self control.
>>
>>47491342
I quite enjoy videogames, and there are a few anime that I've really enjoyed

It's when any one interest or hobby dominates a persons life, such that they cannot talk or think about anything else that they become intolerable to be around
I do all the /g/ and /v/ things, but I have other hobbies and interests too. The same goes for my friends and (most of) my coworkers
>>
>>47491411
Pretty much.
>>
>>47486062
>using joke meme software
Holy shit I would run away from these kind of faggots freetards.
>>
>>47491432
>PDF
>Joke/Meme software
>>
>>47491082
just make a new version control system before doing that.
>>
>>47491592
Why? Is there a problem with git that I couldn't fork it
>>
>>47491620
anything github is doing is what git will do.

if you have complaints about git's merging then I'd make a new document centric version control software.
>>
>>47491654
Yeah, I wasn't saying even that it should be git, just something git-like
>>
>LibreOffice over a LaTeX editor

Why? Assuming you're STEM
>>
>>47491193
>>47491101
I thought about creating a reasonable document with changelog etc, but then I realsied that's essentially a wiki.
>>
>>47486062
>freetard
>Ubuntu
>open source
I don't think you know what freetard actually means
>>
>>47492441
I just downloaded wikidpad, and I've been using it for notes, and it's pretty great.

To be honest, a wiki is basically the perfect document system.
>>
>>47486728
>written in Javascript
>into the trash
Thread replies: 190
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.