[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shit tier: >Office workers >Typhoid Mary >Best Buy employees
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: computer.jpg (63 KB, 900x532) Image search: [Google]
computer.jpg
63 KB, 900x532
Shit tier:
>Office workers
>Typhoid Mary
>Best Buy employees

Low tier:
>Apple users
>Children
>Programmers

Medium tier:
>Hipsters
>Portugese people
>Gadget enthusiasts

High tier:
>PC technicians
>Gamers
>Web designers

God tier:
>IT professionals
>Linux users
>>
>>47343981
You actually put gamers in high tier?

I'm fucking honoured, a /g/tard that isn't out to insult everyone who says the word "game"
>>
>>47343981
>IT professionals
>God tier
no, you've gotten it backwards
you guys are the computer janitors, whose sole purpose is to ensure that the Office workers (God tier, who are actually responsible for business value added) can do their jobs.

Also there should be no such thing as a "Linux user". Only "Linux admin" for trained, certified, experienced sysadmins or "Linux developers" for OS devs.

All serious business takes place on Windows machines.

You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>47343981
>Best Buy employees
I mean, better than being a neet like yourself.
>>
>>47344039
Go pass your CCIE exams you shitlord
>>
>>47344056
>All serious business takes place on Windows machines.

Nigger what

You realize that most HPC clusters run some flavor of Linux right? Monte Carlo simulations don't run too well on 2012 R2 bro
>>
>>47344080
true.
the actual calculations happen on Linux clusters because who wants to buy thousands of Windows licenses for a task any zombie computer can run.
the DEVELOPMENT of what's gonna run, as well as the vizualization and post-processing (where the human value added takes place) is done on Windows.
>>
>>47344039
He's an idiot; he put web designers above programmers.
>>
Not having electrical engineers and computer hardware engineers on here. You truly don't know god tier. You are probably a janitor or neet. Faggot.
>get out of your parent's house
>>
>>47344091
Linux runs the Internet and every embedded system that's worth a shit nowadays.

Windows is good for your average office drone but if you're doing some big data shit or need anything done at scale you're going to develop and compute with Linux or maybe a z/OS Mainframe for transactional workflows.

I can't run Hbase and Hadoop on Windows.....I can't scale thousands of VMs on Hyper-V (inb4 Azure, it's Linux workloads run on Openstack)
>>
>>47344091
>he develops code on windows machines

lel
>>
>>47344133
CCNP,some Linux Certs,and a visualization certifications would land a nice job.
>>
I'm MTA Certified professional for Windows OS and Networking
>>
Medium tier:
>Portugese people

Wait what is this suppose to mean ?
>>
>>47344109
I guess in terms of pay, he's correct in doing so.
>>
>>47344139
>visualization certification

I've done security visualization for around 5 years and have never heard of there being a cert

I have a CCNA (going NP in November hopefully) and RHCSA, they added about 45k to my salary
>>
>>47344091
>Developing on Windows
Other than for .NET, this should NEVER be done.
>>
File: dandy.jpg (275 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dandy.jpg
275 KB, 1920x1080
mfw I'm shit tier
>High tier
>Gamers

HahahahahaNO
>>
>>47344151
>Microsoft Certifications
That's the easiest shit in the world, literally babies can earn those.
>http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30054140
>>
>>47344188
woops, I meant virtualization.
>>
>>47344210

His daddy most likely put his forehead against his mummy's tummy and whispered him the secrets of subnetting.
>>
File: 1398071600815.gif (130 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1398071600815.gif
130 KB, 500x333
multiple biatch
>>
>>47344188
Can you elaborate a bit on what it is you do and how those certs contribute to your work?
>>
>>47343981
Why are */Linux users in two tiers, hipsters and god tier? By no means should */Linux even belong to god tier.

Nor should gamers belong to high tier, more like shit/low tier or more accurately goy tier.
>>
>>47344056
>the people who build and maintain infrastructure don't add value
And that's why even rich white businessmen can still be niggers.
>>
>>47344210
Better than nothing
>>
>>47344270
He's just mad that he didn't take the certification & experience route instead of burying himself up to his eyeballs in debt for some shit CS degree.
>>
File: 1427584033816s.jpg (5 KB, 125x124) Image search: [Google]
1427584033816s.jpg
5 KB, 125x124
Shit tier:
>Office workers
>Typhoid Mary
>Best Buy employees
>PC technicians
>Programmers
>Gadget enthusiasts
>Web designers
>IT professionals
>Linux users

Medium tier:
>Portugese people
>Gamers
>Children

God tier:
>Hipsters
>Apple users
>>
>>47343981
>>47344338
What kind of meme shit is this :^/
>>
>>47344218
Oh yeah I had a VCP-4 but it's expired now I think

>>47344249
For what I do an RHCSA is actually kind of overkill but I definitely use a lot of bash scripting and troubleshooting of processes and network connections. Kickstart scripts for provisioning new VMs.

I use a lot of nethogs, STDOUT/STDERR redirection and grepping through logs.

The NP is just troubleshooting routers and making sure shit stays up and data flowing. I use icinga for monitoring, logstash+elasticsearch for log centralization and graphite for visualizations because my company doesn't want to spend any money on splunk.

I make 92k/yr but I'm 24/7 and when shit blows up I'm the guy who gets called at 2AM on Saturday while I'm hungover. It's not for everybody.
>>
>>47344430
how do you really get into bash scripting?
>>
>>47343981
>get an iphone as a gift for myself on my birthday 6 months ago
>get the apple warranty with it too, covers all sorts of stuff including accidental
>6 months later to yesterday
>accidentally drop it
>screen cracks
>oh shit
>the phone still works
>go to apple store
>biggest fucking hard time getting someone to listen talk about my screen and claiming on the warranty
>some dumb skinny hipster kid says I have to go online, set up an appointment.
>get really pissy because the guy was trying to tell me even with my warranty they'll have to replace the phone
>why replace the phone when I can just replace the screen
>oh sir don't do that that'll void the warranty

apple fuckin sucks
>>
I got the basic A + net + Sec + and right now im getting CCNA/ E

Working as IT fraud analyst right now its pretty cool. Im gonna do Linux + and metasploit next. I plan on getting my Linux + cert in like 3 months.

I could get my CISA and SSCIP but that can wait till later.

Working at M$ really paid off no matter how gay and shitty the coworkers and commute was.
>>
>>47344451
>make an appointment
>travel the hour back down to the apple store at the mall
>wait 15 minutes
>"apple genius" different skinny bastard
>oh well how did you drop your phone
>what does it matter its an accident and its under warranty
>ok that'll be 80 dollars to replace the phone
>the phone isn't broken I just need the glass replaced
>no that'll void your warranty
>no not me replace it, the only thing thats broken is the glass, not the phone, the glass
>still can't get my shit fixed
>accidental warranty doesn't cover the glass, it covers the phone and only the phone, the phone has to break entirely in order for the warranty to work, even then its 80 dollars.
>>
>>47344441
backup your windows partition to an external hard drive with disk2vhd (be sure to check the system reserved partition or your shit won't boot)

now install CentOS or Fedora Core and force yourself to learn the command line

http://www.opsschool.org/en/latest/unix_101.html

the most important things to learn about involve the linux boot process and filesystem architecture, init levels and processes/permissions

once you understand the commands and things like piping and input/output redirection you can get into scripting. you'll need to learn some programming concepts like looping, variables and basic regex to be able to do anything of any worth in an enterprise
>>
File: 1427750330140.jpg (8 KB, 200x199) Image search: [Google]
1427750330140.jpg
8 KB, 200x199
>>
>>47344504
Go drop the phone harder and break it all the way. FIXED. APPLE IT JUST WERKS.
>>
File: 1422450741371.jpg (802 KB, 2299x1774) Image search: [Google]
1422450741371.jpg
802 KB, 2299x1774
>Gooood
>>
>>47344535
Can you acquire redhat OS without purchasing it for the certs?
>>
>>47343981
>God tier:
>>IT professionals
>>Linux users

Lost it.
>>
>>47344637
yeah there's trial ISOs for 60 days

just use CentOS if you don't want to deal with all of that, it's not any different besides branding and support
>>
>>47344718
ok. How does one get linux exp for their first linux job?

Do you need to simply say that you run a linux server?
>>
File: 1419653848309.jpg (12 KB, 425x396) Image search: [Google]
1419653848309.jpg
12 KB, 425x396
>>47343981
You tried
>>
>>47343981
what the fuck even constitutes an IT professional. what do they know a web designer doesn't. let's face it, if you're designing websites, you have enough interest in computers to know about networking.
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAA.png (198 KB, 561x520) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAA.png
198 KB, 561x520
>>47343981
>gadget enthusaists
>literally tech unboxers
>above programmers

I don't care if this is a troll, this triggered me.
>>
>>47344741
I can't help you much with that one....if you're already in an IT position you can push to deploy linux to take care of certain things that Windows servers don't do well (DNS/DHCP/rsyslog come to mind as low-hanging fruit)

I recommend you run linux at home first for a good period of time (at least a few months or so) and go for LPIC-1 and get certified. That'll get your foot in the door somewhere.

>>47344756
>let's face it, if you're designing websites, you have enough interest in computers to know about networking.

you know how I can tell you've never worked with web devs before? those fuckers don't know the OSI model
>>
>>47344952
don't forget subnetting .

They can't fix their own computers,how do you expect them to troubleshoot the network?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.