[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Open source Windows?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5
File: Windows-logo.jpg (16 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Windows-logo.jpg
16 KB, 600x400
What do you guys think? Would open source Windows be a good thing?

>link: http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-says-open-source-windows-is-definitely-possible/
>>
This would be the finally nail in the coffin for linux
>>
>>47342888
Not really I'm sure Micro$oft would turn to a form of datamining (which theyre) to make money
>>
>>47342888

lucky for linux this is a misleading as fuck headline.
>>
File: 1427045665946.gif (120 KB, 497x372) Image search: [Google]
1427045665946.gif
120 KB, 497x372
There would be no reason to use any other OS anymore. I'm looking forward to it.
>>
open source != free software

see the other thread

fucking paid shills
>>
>>47342923
>what is a fork
>>
>>47342855
>open source.
>even more viruses.

I'll stay on my neckbeard-powered machines. Gen/Funtoo, Slackware, Debian, FreeBSD
>>
>>47342951
free ≠ rms "free"
>>
>>47343021
Fuck off, paid MS shill.
>>
So what is this like the 4th time MS has tried to say they are going open source? Then later they are like oh yeah we meant only this tiny part of the OS that is not relevant to anything.
>>
I don't understand what's the problem with open source windows, there're a billion linux distros already, what's stopping you from making a custom distribution of the open sourced windows?
>>
>>47343092
because windows is shit
I don't think anyone wants to deal with the mess that must be the windows source
>>
>>47342925
>implying linux isn't better on servers either way
Besides that windows servers licenses wouldn't be free.
*nix (including os x and bsd) is also better for a plethora of other reasons.
>>
>>47343110
The best OS ever made gets open sourced and nobody is willing to fork it.. right.
>>
>>47343031
fsf is worse than corporations.

At least, proprietary software is honest, you know what you can do and what not, in clear language.

Rms has mastered the art of dishonest language and mental gymnastics, twisting definitions to match his wicked view of the world.
He turned software into personal propaganda, and even raped the english language along the way, to fit with his goal.

He's cancerous, just like his metastasizing license.

If you want free, use BSD.
Dumb cunt.
>>
>>47343143
>best OS
>windows
seriously ?
>>
>>47343167
I wonder why *BSD has a smaller market share even on servers, maybe cause you idiots will gladly be slaves to companies and let them profit from your work.
RMS is a little insane but claiming BSD is somehow better is idiotic.
>>
>>47343167
Enjoy letting Microsoft take your code and lock it away in proprietary software, you delusional BSD fucking idiots.

Did you even stop to think for TWO GODDAMN SECONDS about the horrible ramifications of your nonfree license? Yes, it's nonfree, because it can be used for nonfree purposes. It's horrible and it's cancer. Fuck off, BSD idiots.
>>
>>47343179
>muh ganoo plus leenux
back to your desktop threads kid
>>
>>47343210
>I wonder why *BSD has a smaller market share even on servers
1. it doesn't
2. legal troubles at its beginnings

>you idiots will gladly be slaves to companies and let them profit from your work
Everybody profits from BSD work because it's a free gift to the community.
Not everybody's an entitled bitch demanding other people's code, like you.
>>
>>47343238
A typical 16yo brain at work.
>>
>>47343238
>take your code and lock it
>...
>take something that's free
>lock it, while it's still free
How?
>>
>>47343167
>raped the english language along the way

lel, that's not possible.

english was already raped at conception.
>>
>>47343258
>Not everybody's an entitled bitch demanding other people's code
Then don't use GPL'd code, dumbass. Not everybody is an entitled bitch that wants to make money from other people's code.
>>
>>47343243
what the hell is wrong with you?
a completely dumbed down OS with a useless registry and strange file placement, is called best by you?
>>
>second time this exact thread has been posted
HAHAHA GREAT POST! WELL SHILL'D MY FRIEND!
>>
>>47343167
I'll be honest, I kek'd
>>
>>47343258
>1.
Citation needed
>2.
How long ago was that?
>everyone profits
Yeah the companies sure do, as for me being "entitled" I'm not, GPL has proven to be better for the community, see linux.
>>
This thread just proves how GNUfags are the SJWs of the technology world.
>stop oppressing us with your non-free licenses!
>you don't agree with us? Go die!
>you're only free if you agree with our warped definition of freedom
>>
>>47343280
English's conception was FROM rape.
>>
>>47343311
not really m80
>>
>>47343280
>Then don't use GPL'd code
>"You're not allowed to use it unless..."
>free
holy dumbfuck
>>
>>47343327
>denial
>>
>>47343331
>no real arguments
>what am I denying
>>
>>47343311
>>you're only free if you agree with our warped definition of freedom

>freedom from slavery and tyranny
>warped definition of freedom

go fuck yourself.

You people are fucking pieces of shit.

Just fuck yourself, jesus fuck.
>>
>>47343290
>Yeah the companies sure do
You profit too.

That's truly "everyone", no strings attach.

Maybe you are too accustomed to the gpl conditionals and ifs and buts, so you might need some time to familiarize with the new, unconditional free.
>>
>>47343358
Does it give an option to become a slaver and tyrant?
>>
>>47343358
not that guy but what exactly is wrong with slavery?
I mean if you're like homeless and have a huge fucking debt you should be able to become a slave or summn like that, that way you're not only actually contributing to society, but paying your debts and helping your masters

>all greeks turn into slaves
>nothing of value was lost
>>
>>47343358
Did I break you or something?
You became something that you've been hating.
>>
File: rosusb.png (98 KB, 1150x866) Image search: [Google]
rosusb.png
98 KB, 1150x866
>>47342855
It's called ReactOS. Look it up
>>
>>47343358
>freedom from slavery and tyranny
You stupid fuck, that's not similar at all.

The BSD version is "nobody can force you to be a slave to someone, but if you get off on it, suit yourself, you're an adult".

The GPL version is "Eww, why do you wanna be a slave to someone? You're undermining our political system, you're not allowed to do that! Do as we say, so as to be "free" ".
The
>>
>people who lock themselves inside a basement telling others how to exercise freedom
>>
>>47343389
no I'm just tired of you dipshits who desperately need to take philosophy.
>>
>>47343179
From a technical perspective WindowsNT is obviously superior. Designed in the 90s vs 60s.
>>
>>47343400
looks real functional
>>
>>47343424
kek, you gotta be baiting.
>>
>>47343400
>repacking Wine
>pretending it's your own OS
>>
>>47343424
>windowsNT superior
I hope you don't mean the fucking NTFileSystem.
>>
>>47343450
I don't know if it's Wine, but I don't think it is. They've spent a ridiculous amount of time on this project, and are still barely into a working OS>
>>
>>47343424
Windows NT is a clusterfuck, but yeah, it's definitely better than most alternatives technically.
>>
Windows is already under a shared license.
>>
>>47343464
the backend is all wine and obv they don't make any progress when they don't have any devs
>>
>>47343485
If the backend is Wine, then why would anyone use this over Linux running Wine?
>>
>>47343514
they don't, kek
>>
File: dat ass.jpg (81 KB, 960x938) Image search: [Google]
dat ass.jpg
81 KB, 960x938
>>47343238
I can smell the butthurt
>>
Open source Windows isn't important. Not in the greater scheme.
What can people do with an open source Windows? Improve ReactOS? Who gives a shit about ReactOS?

The single most important contribution Microsoft can make to open source at this very moment is to open source the entire .Net Framework.
>>
Do you mean """""""shared source"""""""???
>>
The only reason I use Windows is compatibility. I hate everything about it, from the aesthetics to the bloat to the command line to the UI, but I still need it because I run Windows software. Making Windows open source would mean Wine would soon have nearly perfect Windows compatibility due to just copying Windows code. So rather than killing Linux, open-source Windows would finally let me use better systems.

So it gets the main advantage of Linux, the open-source nature, but it also gives Linux the main advantage of Windows, the exclusive software. Someone like me who prefers Linux due to what I believe is a fundamentally better design would then have absolutely no reason to use Windows ever again.

It would absolutely be a good thing. People who like Windows get freedom, and people who don't like Windows get compatibility.
>>
>>47343424

Unix is old, but is fundamentally well-designed. Oldness isn't a problem if it was designed right the first time around.

And Linux is not Unix. Linux was first released in '91, I believe, and most of the components of modern distros were written much later. It's like Unix, but it has no Unix code and has some major architectural differences.. You're comparing '90s to '90s, not '90s to '60s.

Of course, it's a pointless discussion since Plan 9 blows both out of the water.
>>
>>47344000

Date Release Comment
2002 Plan 9 4th edition Released by Lucent Technologies under a new free software license
>>
it will literally change nothing for the end user.
>>
>>47343167
>Rms has mastered the art of dishonest language and mental gymnastics

LOL
>>
>>47343948
this is probably the only real benefit.

if MS does go full open source then Wine suddenly becomes 1000% better than what it currently is, because now they can just copy over what they need.

to the every day windows end user it will mean absolutely nothing, but to those in these kinds of situations it's definitely a game changer.

although i can almost guarantee that even if they do go open source, they won't get this level of open.
>>
>>47343464
The win32 userland is pretty much all WINE. The kernel and other stuff is clean room reverse engineered
>>
File: FreeCouch.jpg (128 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
FreeCouch.jpg
128 KB, 500x375
>>
>>47343275
Look at what pfsense is doing. They're demanding copyright assignment for all new contributions - aka the right to make the code proprietary themselves at any time. They've also deleted the source repositories for the build tools for pfsense, and have sued people for distributing modified pfsense builds with the name pfsense attached. Ultimately that resulted in a fork of the entire project called opnsense.
>>
>>47343275
at best it'd be free for non-commercial use
>>
>>47345189
WINE is non-commercial use :DDD
>>
>>47345160
>and have sued people for distributing modified pfsense builds with the name pfsense attached
Literally every open source project that isn't some fly-by-night development does that.

>distributing a modified, unofficial, and potentially dangerous package under the name of a official package
hurr durr
>>
Could we get full 16-bit software support back into Windows if it went open-source?

Lel.
>>
>release the world's best operating system as open source
>neckbeards who aren't good enough at programming to get paid make a billion shitty different versions with a bunch of incompatibilities because muh freedum
>fragment the community and set progress back years

amirite
>>
>>47343167
I actually agree with this.

Also I find it hilarious how linux users start screaming about "free as in free speech!" as soon as MS announce the could open up, whilst the rest of the time they are praising steam for propitiatory and completely closed games since it's the only thing that will keep GNU/Linux above 1% desktop usage. I say hilarious but it's actually embarrassingly pathetic.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.