[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Apple's new Macbook is all about style >This is apparently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 12
File: TR.jpg (165 KB, 1012x597) Image search: [Google]
TR.jpg
165 KB, 1012x597
>Apple's new Macbook is all about style
>This is apparently the 'notebook redefined'
>Holding it is quite unnerving
>The new Macbook couldn't perform during rudimentary testing.

APPLE DORKS BTFO
>>
It reminds me of the AMX 13 F3 SPG. It's ammunition and crew were transported separately, so it was basically just a launcher and could not do anything alone. Akin to that, the new Macbook needs 10 accessories before it can provide the usability you'd expect out of a fucking $2000 notebook, so you end up spending $5000 on a piece of aluminum that will look like shit with 5 cables coming out of it.
>>
Apple needs to bring back Titanium devices. This Aluminum shit needs to go.
>>
>>47331672
>needs 10 accessories
But that's the point, it doesn't need those 10 accessories.
Apple are banking hard on wireless everything being even bigger in the next year or so than they've ever been in the past, and they're almost certainly right with that regard.
>>
>>47331672

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Tank:AMX_13F3AM
>>
No>>47331689
The aluminum would be fine if they didn't use the shittiest aluminum possible. I have no idea how they got it so malleable
>>
>>47332292
>mfw we reach the point where the 2.4GHz band becomes too crowded for anything to work in it
I will be sitting here with my 0 wireless devices (excl remotes, which don't use RF and radio/tv which is one way broadcast) enjoying my working technology.
>>
>>47332323
Aluminum is inherently that soft.
>>
>>47331584
that thouchpad looks awkwardly large. how do you type on that without moving the cursor? hoverhands?
>>
>>47332340
Actually, pretty much all aluminium will have a layer of aluminium oxide on top, which is far, far, far harder than standard aluminium.
>>
>>47332328
Riiight, because everything exists on 2.4GHz.
>>
>>47331584
>First to high res screens
>First to bring out a decent 3:2 laptop

I mean they're doing everything right, why do they not have a business version of this computer with a matte display and a 7row keyboard with decent travel and revel in the inevitable businesscash?
>>
>>47332410
Most computer peripherals, WiFi (most devices), Bluetooth, roller doors, etc.
Shit, just WiFi on its own is bad enough in some parts of the world.
>>
>>47332420
>decent
>first high res

nigga u high

also

>apple
>business people

pick one
>>
>>47332474
WiFi has moved heavily towards 5GHz. Where have you been in the last 5 years?
>>
guys I believe that this device is apples answer to convertibles...
bridge between tablet and laptop...
i believe....
>>
>>47332515
How is it a bridge between a tablet and a laptop when it doesn't have a touchscreen?
>>
>>47332399
Are you retarded? Do you even know how thin that layer is? Besides, aluminum oxide is a ceramic, mainly used for grinding applications. It is not a material suited for computer cases. Being a ceramic, it is too brittle for that.
>>
>>47331584
>The new Macbook couldn't perform during rudimentary testing.

What is reading comprehension?

>The new Macbook felt super speedy in tests, but then again with that much power on board I'd worry if it couldn't perform during rudimentary testing.

Still won't ever buy apple though
>>
>>47332304
What are you trying to prove?

Wargaming, a company that literally makes up tanks and calls them "historical", says that a vehicle with only storage space for personal items of the crew can carry 25 rounds of 155mm ammunition..Yeh..Great source.
>>
>>47332570
>with that much power on board

What?..The power of a fucking Pentium 4?
>>
>>47332529
it's "designed by apple in california"
>>
>>47332490
That's still only 33 channels (best case regulatory scenario and including 2.4 and 5), and considering most overlap, it will still not be very pleasant in a busy environment.
>>
It's base model only has the power of a Low Power Sandy Bridge i7, but with much better graphics than the 2011 MacBook Air

It's insane that the Sandy Bridge processors are still relevant to this day. Or did you guys junk all of your 2500/2600k's yet?
>>
>>47332806
they just can't understand anything beyond muh cores and muh gigahertz
>>
>>47332292
Is that so? Can I get 250 Mbytes/s on a HDD connected via Wifi? Wireless USB drives with decent speeds? What if I have to use a projector that doesn't support wireless connections? Can I magically connect mice and keyboards without an adapter? Not to mention all of the above at once. Any fucking $800+ notebook is superior to this .1mm sheet of aluminum.
99% of customers use it as a Facebook machine and that's exactly what it has become now. Don't pretend it's anything more.
>>
>>47333092
>THIS LAPTOP DOESN'T DO THESE THINGS THAT I DO WITH MY COMPUTER
>THE ONLY USE FOR IT IS BROWSING FACEBOOK!

get off the internet grandpa, your floppy drives are dead
>>
>>47333109
>Marketted as a machine for professionals
>PROFESSIONALS DON'T NEED TO SHOW PEOPLE THEIR THINGS USING BIG SCREEN, THEY JUST PASS AROUND A LAPTOP, ITS SO MUCH EASIER, AREN'T CAPS FUN!?!?!?!?!?!
>>
>>47331584
This troll took those quotes waaay out of context, the review was quite positive.
>>
>>47332490
No, it hasn't. The vast majority of americans with wifi still have routers that only operate on 2.4GHz. Whtat /g/ fails to understand is that most non-tech people just want tech that works and they wants to to work for as long as possible. We've literally reached a point where most people are happy with their computers as they are and don't want to drop money for better ones.
>>
>>47333130
>>Marketted as a machine for professionals

but it isn't grandpa, that's the macbook pro, this is an ultraportable

you cucks will make up all kinds of ridiculous scenarios to justify to yourself why this product is bad, when in actual fact it is really not
>>
>>47332806
I'm still using nehalem i7's.
>Literally have 2 i5 2500's sitting in their motherboards waiting to be used but I don't need their performance yet.
>>
>>47332340
Then how come the 50 ft mast in our family's sail boat doesn't bend like iphones?
>>
File: surprised steve.jpg (5 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
surprised steve.jpg
5 KB, 259x194
>slower than 2011 macbook air

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-new-macbook-processor-is-slower-than-the-2011-macbook-air-2015-4
>>
>>47333175
Nigga, im still using a core 2 duo.

About the same power as some first gen i3/i5s.
>>
>people will spend $1300 for a computer with no dedicated gpu and a 1.1Ghz processor...
>those same people probably wouldn't understand what that means
>>
>>47333179
Cylinders are inherently very strong shapes.
>>
>>47331584
>smaller than a raspberry pi!
>>
>>47333179
Because your mast is considerably thicker than an iphone, therefore has much greater strength?

Considering the price of an Iphone, they should be easily able to custom mill aluminum bodies for ther phones, in which case they wouldn't bend so easily. But they are jews, so what can you expect.
>>
>>47333241
But jet fuel can't melt steel memes
>>
>>47333241
>Considering the price of an Iphone, they should be easily able to custom mill aluminum bodies for ther phones, in which case they wouldn't bend so easily. But they are jews, so what can you expect.

that's exactly what they do, the phone doesn't bend under normal use
>>
>>47333184

It's not slower, it's the same. Almost exactly the same. And the 2011 MBA still works fine with Yosemite to this day.
>>
>>47331584
>It could barely handle the single usb 3 port
top haha :-)
>>
>>47333253
So they don't stamp out the bodies?
>>
>>47333253

No that can't be true, Samsung told me that they did.
>>
>>47333164
How dare I try to connect a pen drive and a wired external display to it, I mean this is the sort of stuff that only sysadmins do.
As I said, it's good if all you do on your computer is browse the web. But we kinda have phones for that.
>>
>>47333284
>Connecting an external display to a laptop with a high PPI screen
Not even defending this netbook but unless you're using a high PPI display what's the point?
>>
>>47331672
>the arty piece had its crew and ammo carries separately
>on it's own it was just a big gun that couldn't do anything
Yeah well no shit
>>
the macbook isn't all about style, although that is one of the selling points for apple. the macbook is an iPad with a better keyboard than the on-screen or bluetooth connected ones.

anyone mocking it for its shortcomings as a working person's laptop is making a fool of themselves. it's just fortunate for your own sakes that you're posting anonymously
>>
I'm using my laptop right now. Guess what I've got connected right now? Just power because the battery in this is shot. I'd love a new MacBook.
>>
>>47333284
If you're using an external display you're on a desk. If you're on a desk, you can get an USB 3 hub that goes to a display/power/more ports etc. Just pretend it's a single cable dock.

When you're on the go (when laptops are meant to be used) one port is just fine.
>>
>>47333179
>he believes that it'a pure aluminium
>>
>>47333315
Confirmed for never going to university, high school or working in skilled labour which requires you to do presentations with 'powerpoint style' projection displays.
>>
File: 1427298261776.gif (152 KB, 500x516) Image search: [Google]
1427298261776.gif
152 KB, 500x516
>>47332323
>I have no idea how they got it so malleable

Really now?
>>
>>47333698
Confirmed for going to poorfag universities, high schools, etc, that can't afford Apple TVs to use as wireless projectors.
>>
>>47332350
Have you ever typed in your life? Also that trackpad is exactly the same size and position as every other macbook. The large size has many advantages, that's why other manufacturers are slowly starting to copy that.
>>
>>47333698
You're right because university is a waste of time and money.
>>
>>47333698
>Confirmed for never going to university, high school or working in skilled labour which requires you to do presentations with 'powerpoint style' projection displays.

Are you fucking retarded or what m8? Stop parroting this "business" shit about an ultraportable, there are macbooks that have all the ports you need for business use, they're called macbook PRO
>>
>>47333718
>tips fedora
>>
>>47333724
don't bother. /g/ is so fucking retarded they literally don't even understand what Apple means when they differentiate their products by stamping the word "pro" on some of them.
>>
>>47333704
Actually a fair question. Aluminum is strong but brittle, and usually breaks a lot more easily than it bends.
>>
>>47333724
Spending 4 times more on a notebook with less productivity (not talknig about homos using adobe crap) is not the kinds of things i want to show in my work.
>>
>>47333756
Explain why top-tier software companies universally issue MBPs, then.
>inb4 "because they're stupid"
>>
>>47333782
you're having an argument with someone whose parents gave up on him years ago. you can't out-argue autism.
>>
>>47333782
>Explain why top-tier software companies universally issue MBPs
Same reason companies chose to use Pentium 4s over superior products that cost the same.
>>
>>47333284
By and large that actually is stuff most normies don't do. Like, sure college kids and business professionals will also do it, but they're ironically in the upper tier of computer users now and would get a pro if they went Mac.
>>
>>47333799
>you're having an argument with someone whose parents gave up on him years ago
sure, but i'm on /g/ at 10:30am on a friday morning, so obviously i have time to kill

>>47333822
...and?
>>
>>47333822
Companies don't do that.
>>
>>47333822
I used to work in IT at a university and we didn't issue Pentium 4s. Hardware was virtually always the most current generation (not top of the line, but current gen).

Maybe you're thinking of companies imaging older software? Are you trying to make an argument gesturing toward ease of technical support? Because that's the only reason we imaged computers with Windows 7 all the way up until last year.
>>
>>47333854
Unless they're paid to, or offered heavy discount to discourage using products produced by the competition.
>>
>>47333876
I've never heard of a company getting paid to deploy Pentium 4-powered computers. You're making shit up, and it's not even plausible enough to withstand superficial scrutiny.
>>
The fact that the new Macbook was met with anything but universal laughter and everyone telling Apple to fuck themselves made has made me lose what little faith I had in humanity. It's proof that Apple can make ANYTHING, no matter how ridiculous and useless it is and people will defend them and throw their wallets. Even on /g/..
>>
>>47333876
Intel is not going to pay companies to use Pentium 4s
>>
>>47333799
>ad hominem
I can see you can't take the fact that macbooks are nothing but facebook machines.
>>
>>47333911
I think a more fitting term would be "netbook" and considering every new mac comes with a full office suite out of the box, they're much better for productivity than any Windows notebook, even the business ones.
>>
>Weighs practically nothing
>Really low voltage
>High battery life
>Somehow surprising it doesn't run as machines that run at voltages several times higher
Seriously people, do you expect these machines to run on? Magic? Pixie dust?

On the other hand what should you expect anything more from the autists here on /g/? As soon as they unveiled this thing they were going on about how badly it fits their personal needs and how it's shit because of it as if there weren't any people with different needs other than theirs. Hell, people have even become convinced that all the other laptops Apple makes have the same limited array of IO.
>>
>>47333967
>Apple's suite better than Office
>being this big of a cuck
>>
>>47333911
go hug your mom and thank her for not letting dad give you to an adoption agency when they found out you would be like this the rest of your life
>>
>>47333991
Damn, looks like you just lost.
>>
>>47333990
I didn't say it was better. Windows computers don't even come with Office! You have to buy it separately for the low low price of $150 or pay a subscription for it.
>>
>>47334006
ok kid
>>
>>47333967
>Professionals only depends on office.
>>
>>47333893
>Apple unveils machine meant for people with very specific needs
>Some autist "looses his faith in humanity" when people don't hate it because they're not among the people it's aimed at
You must probably be raging about how all lorries, pick-up trucks, sports cars and executive sedans are shit.
>>
>>47334009
It would still be cheaper than a shitbook with low end hardware.
>>
>>47333163
5ghz isn't inherently better than 2.4ghz. Sure it's got higher throughput, implements newer technologies, and has more channels, but in terms of range, it's rubbish.
In short, it really depends. If you have an actual house (as opposed to a flat) and your bandwidth isn't super high (or you don't care since devices on wireless are likely to be phones and laptops), 2.4 ghz is ideal, due to its range.
>>
>>47333893
I figure they're going to have to come out with a less absurd machine in another year or so, and my 13" rMBP will last me fine until then. I mean, yeah, it's got its flaws, what doesn't? All laptops are shit; the trick is finding the one that's least shit. So what are my alternatives? I can have a laptop that runs OS X, or a laptop that runs Windows, or a laptop that runs Linux. That's like choosing among HSV-1, HSV-2, and AIDS-related lymphoma. Yeah, it'd be nice to be able to fuck without worrying about any of these, but we inhabit an imperfect world, so I've got to choose, and an occasional cold sore is hardly a problem at all.
>>
>Implying it won't sell like crazy
>Implying the average consumer gives a shit about specs and performance

You idiots really think that everyone is like yourselves and that they actually give a shit about the performance and hardware of their PCs.
>>
>>47334009
You can get a discount on it. It's not too expensive. You can probably get a used office copy on ebay for a cheap deal.
>>
>>47332292
That is so fucking stupid.

Wireless everything does not make up for one port you moron

You just pulled a random fucking tangent out of your ass and ran with it. Kill yourself my man.
>>
>>47332420
>Apple
>business

ayy
>>
>>47333164
>tfw iCultists are calling people more mature than them grandpa

Ok kid
>>
>>47334136
The people that are looking at the macbook were the people who were thinking about getting an ipad but were worried it didn't have a good enough keyboard. these people were never going to connect wired peripherals to it.

stop projecting your own needs onto literally every device. just because you're a career consumer doesn't mean every product was made for you.
>>
>>47334136
Uh, dude. What he is saying is what apple thinks.
>>
whenever autists rage about an apple product they don't understand, that tells me it'll do fine in the market.

you'd think after a few years of thinking you have a finger on the pulse of consumer electronics and consistently being wrong some of you would figure you just don't know what you're talking about, but i guess introspection isn't one of /g/'s strengths
>>
>>47334162
>thinks consumer laptop is for business
>literally a business line branded PRO
>"mature"

ok grandpa, time for bed
>>
>>47334164
I know it's not marketed for me. I was objectively criticizing it on its merits vs what is on the market and expected from a laptop today.

I mean shit, a Ford Pinto isn't the type of car that is marketed to me, but I can still call it a shitty car.
>>
>>47334162
Apple has a pro line.

i'll let you sleuth out which line is the Pro line.

You don't have to be a PRO at detective work to figure it out
>>
>>47333988
>>High battery life
>entire thing is a battery
>only 9 hours
jej, macfags.
>>
>>47334194
No one is denying idiots are going to buy it dipshit
>>
>>47334107
>Implying it won't sell like crazy
But it costs like shitloads of money. It's pricey even for people in USA I think. Or everyone buys macbooks by financing?
Sorry for my England, im nigger from Sweden.
>>
File: 1326950327560.jpg (21 KB, 243x263) Image search: [Google]
1326950327560.jpg
21 KB, 243x263
>ipad with a keyboard and a trackpad
>$1300
>macfags will defend this
>>
>>47333893

It's a laptop with a 5w processor.

5 WATTS.

That's about 3 phones' worth of energy use. And yet it can perform the same as a 17 watt Sandy Bridge ULV processor. Not every computer needs to run ARMA III at 4k60.
>>
Everyone is saying "THIS JUST ISN"T MARKETED TOWARD YOU"

Well who is it for? Who specifically needs a 12" laptop with one port for $1300? I go to a University with 40k students and I see more Unibody Macbooks than anything, despite the fact that the rMBP was introduced 3 years ago. I haven't polled them but I imagine they chose the unibody MBP because it was cheaper than the rMBP and has more expansion ports and a CD drive.
>>
>>47334218
There are plenty of morons in the US who buy status symbol things like Apple products on credit to look cool and fit in

Apple isn't about the technology, it's fitting into the brand image and adopting a certain status.
>>
>>47334203
You're likening a modern computer to a car that's no longer manufactured? Is that intentional, or are you just 20+ years out of touch with automobiles and that was the best reference you could think of?

The Macbook is like a SmartCar. It's not for most consumers. In fact, all but a very small niche of consumers would never even consider it. But for a non-trivial number of people, it's not only sufficient but ideal for their needs.

See how I used a parallel to a car that was in production in the last 30 years?
>>
>>47333893

Consider death through helium tank as an alternative to staying an autist. Not everyone has the exact same needs.
>>
>>47334252
Consider posting on Macrumors, as you'll find more likeminded she.. err people there.
>>
>>47334243
>Well who is it for?

Tumblr bloggers, coffee shop baristas, literature majors, and 12 year old Pewdiepie fans
>>
>>47334245
people say this literally every time apple debuts a new product. is there turnover and you're just 15 or something, or do you have a learning disability?
>>
>>47334243

Old people.

Seriously. I used to get calls from my grandmother who tried to plug the magsafe power connector in the old Macbook Air I gave her into a USB slot and wonders why her computer won't charge the battery.
>>
>>47332292
>wireless is the future
Except wireless is slower than wired, and going through a bunch of menus to connect a device to your laptop (and probably plugging the device into something else, since the laptop isn't giving it power) takes a lot longer than shoving a wire into a hole. It's worse in most respects.
>>
File: kf3LsZR.png (825 KB, 749x718) Image search: [Google]
kf3LsZR.png
825 KB, 749x718
>>47331584
T-the arrowkeys...
>>
>>47334248
The metaphor is still valid, you're just grasping at straws and going out on a tangent.

But no a smart car is for the environmentally conscious and people who want to save on fuel costs. This new "computer" is for people who want a shitty and expensive status symbol that doesn't do much. Kind of like a Hummer.
>>
>>47334218
It's pricey for people in the USA who can't get real jobs, which is why you hear so much about it from the college wastrels and NEETs on /g/.
>>
>>47334291
That comic is hilarious.
>>
>>47334272
People would stop saying it if it wasn't true. Learn about marketing strategies idiot. Apple tries to make their products into a lifestyle for empty headed gen X consumers like you so you can fit in somewhere by the grace of mummy's credit card.
>>
>>47333239
That image is a joke right? Right?
>>
>>47334283
Consumers don't care about maximizing; they care about optimizing above a certain threshold.

Apple is betting that if they throw their weight into wireless peripherals, device makers will rush to build a sufficiently good infrastructure (exceeding the threshold users need) before they hit the floor.

They've been right in the past. Dropping the optical drive led to software makers delivering software via the internet rather than shitty CDs. Deploying high density displays prompted developers to update their software so it would scale arbitrarily without looking like shit. Pushing on the entire app paradigm in iOS made the whole mobile software market manageable. If you weren't using Windows CE back in the early 00's and late 90's, consider yourself lucky.
>>
>>47334243
People who buy electronics for fashion reasons, or don't want to put in the effort to look for a good PC. Instead of doing a bunch of research on what's good and what's not based on specs they don't understand, they can just buy a mac and they're guaranteed (usually) that their computer will be at least okay.
>>
>>47334359
>turn laptop into a battery with a small motherboard attached
>advertise paltry 9 hour battery life
It's real.
>>
>>47334329
>all that projecting
okay kid.
>>
>>47334407
nice post, well meme'd
>tips fedora
>>
>>47334390
>Dropping the optical drive led to software makers delivering software via the internet rather than shitty CD

Better internet coverage and speeds were responsible for this
>>
>>47333875
>IT at a university
Oh, so you were just Jewing students every year.

At a real college, we had i3-2120s in the computer lab, but then in the tutoring office where people actually did work in the evening, we had Athlon 64s, which replaced the three P4 machines. This was in 2013.
>>
>>47334429
>the intelligence of the average iCuck when facts are thrown in its face
>>
>>47334455
>mindless conjecture is "fact" now

The intelligence of you anti Apple trolls is bottom barrel my friend.
>>
>>47334390
>Dropping the optical drive led to software makers delivering software via the internet rather than shitty CDs.
Not really. It was already pretty much the norm in the higher end sector. Steam had already taken over the PC gaming distribution market before Apple even started omitting disc drives, and that was arguably the market that had the greatest requirement for disc readers. (Due to the sizes involved)

Most enterprise laptops never even had disc drives to begin with - every single damn Dell Bussines laptop I've come across has had the disc drive replaceable with a battery, or externally attached via USB.

I have one of those damn externals around here somewhere.
>>
>>47333747
Incorrect.

Aluminum alloys are brittle, pure aluminum is pretty soft.
>>
>>47331584
Why all this hate? The new MB is basically a tablet with a keyboard and trackpad. MBP still exists.
>>
>>47334491
The thing costs more than what I gave for my RMBP. The pricing of it, like the original Air which flopped, is idiotic.
>>
>>47334491
>Why all this hate? The new MB is basically a tablet with a keyboard and trackpad. MBP still exists.

Because 90% of /g/ is 15 years old and angry about hormone stuff
>>
>>47331584
poorfag detected
>>
>>47334467
Says the man who just responded with the fedora meme
>>
>>47334531
I didn't, I'm another poster. There are 53 people in this thread you know.
>>
>>47334237

I appreciate your sentiment looking only at the hardware. However, the Macbook runs OSX while the iPad runs iOS.
>>
>>47331584

tbh, all broadwell laptops are like this.

my sis just got the asus broadwell thin laptop thingy, 256GB ssd and a broadwell cpu.

and i shit you not, facebook is laggy when opened in Chrome. it was okish using IE11, but still, the fact that the machine had trouble with facebook says alot.

and this is what you pay for in ultra lightweight laptops.

But they are sexy AF
>>
>>47334543
>>47334505
You know what? I'm sorry. That was unnecessarily hostile.
>>
>>47334541
50 sensible people and 3 Mac idiots
>>
>apple fans must like every apple product
In that case, all you windows users must still be using your MS Kin, right?
>>
>>47333718
I am sure you have a fantastic career with lots of potential for vertical advancement.
>>
>>47334625
Apple fans who don't blindly worship everything Apple does are a rarity
>>
>>47334625
i cant hear you my zune is turned all the way up
>>
>>47334359
nope, rest of the space is batteries

even then it doesn't get much battery life because the space is too fucking thin
>>
>>47334674
Not really. You just think they are because it's more convenient to assume that anyone who disagrees with you must be unequivocally opposed to everything you stand for.
>>
>>47334992
It's objective fact
>>
>>47334674
its more like haves vs have-nots and the unemployable neckberded 20-somethings cant stand that society is leaving them so far behind

the bitterness is palpable
>>
>>47335011
>implying there's a subjective fact
>>
>>47335038
and this is the delusion of diametric opposition on the other side, which is conveniently timed.
>>
>>47333241
>>47333253
>>47333269

Just found this image. Why the hell are they still using aluminum in their phones? Even when they custom machine every body like pic related, they still tend to weak.

Why not just use steel? One can treat it to look similar to brushed aluminum.
>>
>>47335135
Tend to 'be' weak
>>
>>47335135
Steel is heavy as fuck compared to aluminium
>>
>>47335135
>Why not just use steel? One can treat it to look similar to brushed aluminum.

Aluminium is soft, it absorbs impact. They used a steel bezel on the iPhone 4 and a lot more people broke them.
>>
>>47335135
>steel
>conjures up images of low brow, ancient technology, science and machines
>aluminum
>aircrafts! gears! shiny and sexy!
>>
File: 1425151386313.jpg (28 KB, 449x271) Image search: [Google]
1425151386313.jpg
28 KB, 449x271
>>47333179
>>47333222

>you have been visited by the double trips of wisdom
>good structural design and physics will come to you
>but only if you respond "Gentoo is inherently a very strong distro"
>>
>>47331584
calling it a netbook is praise. Netbooks had more ports and didn't start at 1200USD
>>
>>47332420
>business
>Apple
last time I checked, Apple was a fashion accessory outlet for normals
>>
>>47331584
>1200USD x86 ipad with keyboard
>"it cunt perferm"
>>
>>47335737
>didn't read the article
>believing OP bait

[spoiler] the article praised it's performance [/spoiler]
>>
>>47335236
Might as well use titanium
>>
oggle boggle my mind's in trouble.
>>
>>47333109
>>47333164
>>47334196
>grandpa

>>47334162
>kid

back in my day we actually put thought into our insults, faggots
>>
>>47336814
wiggle waggle what's eating my dirty shoes?
>>
The new macbook is a platform idiots. They will just drop skylake and cherrylake into this and not have to tweak the design at all.

Skylake brings wireless charging (why it has to be so thin).

Cherrylake will bring DDR4 to mobile platforms (muh battery life).

Meanwhile, Apple will be raking in billions without having to redesign their mobile laptop for the next 4-5 years.
>>
Can someone with money benchmark the new macbook air against the new raspberry pi so we can get a fair comparison?
>>
>>47336911
flindle my spindle I can't find linda.
>>
>>47335170
Steel has a similar strength to weight ratio to aluminum, almost identical, actually.

Steel is 3x heavier than aluminum while being about 3x stronger than aluminum, depending on the alloys of the steel and aluminum in question. So one could make the steel 3x thinner than the aluminum body.

If one were to use spring steel for the body, it might have similar impact absortion to the aluminum body (minus the denting).
>>
might as well get the surface 3 this just looks like shit.
>>
>>47332323
... It's aluminum. It's malleable on its own.
>>
>>47337028
bebble bonnle my hip is made of pirates
>>
I'm buying!
>>
>>47331584
> Initially I was saddened by the loss of so many ports, but if it makes the new Macbook this thin, I'm all over it.

How fucking poorly is this written.
A breif mention of specs and then the entire 'article' goes on about the design and nothing else.

>I don't think I'll be able to survive on one port, which means that I'll be carrying around some connected doohickey for a long while yet.

>Shout has to go out to the new Retina display as well - its clear, bright and seems over the top in terms of sharpness already - that's Apple all over, right?
like wtf is this bullshit ?
its not like they are pushing the PPI numbers very high, this is just fucking jerking off into your hand and telling everyone how great it smells and tastes.
>>
>memebooks

i pass
>>
>>47337961
randle his smandle if only all trophies were made of egg.
>>
>>47331584
I'd buy one. It's the future.
>>
>>47338458
>A breif mention of specs and then the entire 'article' goes on about the design and nothing else.
Welcome to the non-obsessive's world.
Specs are the dork's measure of everything. I'll bet you have the specs of your pizza and Dr Pepper memorized. But you don't understand them, either.
>>
>>47340791
Nutritional information and ingredients are easier to understand than laptop specs. If you count calories chances are you do know that pizza and soda spec.
>>
So basically, it's an Ipad with a keyboard?
>>
>>47333163
this this this, I still use an x61 and it does everything that I ever want from a laptop

anything like rendering or videogames I just use my desktop for when I get home
>>
>>47340977
It's the significance of the specs that is hard to understand without some education in that direction.
"Low-fat" yoghurt, for instance, is higher in sugar. Just looking at the spec might not make that obvious.
>>
>>47341007

yeah... but it has a more complete OS and the possibility to install winblows or gentoo.
>>
>>47341007
>So basically, it's an Ipad with a keyboard?
Nope.
If you were taking any notice you'd know that the iPad is running ARM, while the Macbook runs Intel.
How come you're not obsessed with specs when it comes to Apple?
>>
>>47341162
They teach you that shit in primary school health classes. General science courses usually include brief biology segments about metabolization.
>>
>>47341137
>using a dead OS
>>
>>47333184

> faster graphics
> fanless
> still gets great performance

What's wrong with it /g/?????
>>
>>47341293
>What's wrong with it /g/?????

Asspained teenagers can't afford it.
>>
File: IMG_1018.jpg (73 KB, 610x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1018.jpg
73 KB, 610x720
>>47341267
But Anon, Anon!
It's Turing complete
>>
>>47336977
>This!
>>
File: wC8Kpnr.jpg (327 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
wC8Kpnr.jpg
327 KB, 900x1200
>>47332399
lolno
>>
>>47332420
>decent 3:2

you mean Google.
>>
>>47335135
steel breaks on impact, aluminum bends on impact.
>>
>>47343364
that's hand sweat, your point?
>>
>>47343411
Apple did it like 10 years earlier
>>
>>47343445
Steel doesn't take damage from a simple fall, aluminum crumples.
>>
>>47343499
>high quality aircraft grade aluminum

aircraft aluminum can't melt steel beams
>>
>>47343364
WTF is that key next to the shift button?! Wtf is that even doing there holy shit.
>>
>>47343596
thats the shit tier iso layout
they need it because they are to retarded to hit a normal height enter key and love making best shift extra tiny
>>
>>47343535
jet fuel can melt aircraft grade aluminum tho
>>
>>47333249
You keep doing this in every thread, and it's getting really really old.
>>
>>47333239
>they'll never sell the board only

All you would need is the dongle and you pretty much have a macbook pi. Hell you could even slap on a small heatsink for a bit more performance.
>>
>>47332350
>he doesn't know about palm rejection
>>
>>47332328
this, I've already seen this happen in my neighborhood with wifi, everyone is using the shitty AP's that they got from time warner which default to channel 1. I hear people complain about it all the time when Im smug and happy on my comfy channel 6 and will occasionally offer my services in exchange for money to change peoples channels.
>>
>>47331672
>wireless everything
Can I jack off wirelessly?
>>
>>47344049
this. I used OS X on a mbp and it was perfect. The I install ubuntu on the same mbp and I couldn't even type in a url without the cursor spazzing out.

linux has no drivers
Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.