[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good ideas thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: gentoo_ganoo.png (232 KB, 640x510) Image search: [Google]
gentoo_ganoo.png
232 KB, 640x510
Make my kids use Linux before windows, show them the power of the terminal from an early age.
Educate them on the "alternatives"
> when someone says office, they think lowriter not word
> alias photoshop=gimp
>alias notepad=gedit #I'm not completely evil
They get baby duck syndrome when they use Windows.
To them, the de facto standard would be Unix. They won't have anything to go back to.
Windows users will have a harder time swaying them then making atheists religious.

Are there any flaws in my plan?
Seriously, I want to know so that I can amend it
Perhaps s/Linux/openBSD ?
>>
>>47163925
>NOT EVEN ONCE
No, that's not how that meme works.
>>
literally every school will force them to use windows, they're gonna be like wtf is this
>>
Bad ideas:
Getting kids
>>
>>47163925
This is borderline unethical.

Right up there with brainwashing your kids with religion at a young age.
>>
>>47163963
>>47163989
It might be better to just let them be familiar with both platforms. Maybe even apple platforms too.
>>
>>47163963
Tell the school that you don't appreciate them forcing an OS designed to keep the masses tech illiterate upon your kids, and demand them migrate to openSUSE lest you sue the pants off the state.
>>
>>47163963
> teacher! How do I do this?
> easy anon Jr, like this
> that's retarded. On my computer, we do it like this.

Thus inverting the user experience of
> tries Linux once
> this is awful
> switches back
To s/Linux/Windows
>>
>>47163925
>s/Linux/openBSD
How come I have literally never seen this used as a meme until I learned how to use it? Am I God?
>>
>>47163989
>implying teaching them there is nothing other than windows isn't brainwashing
Using windows will make you brain-dead. I'm glad I found Unix as early as I did.
>>
OSX is better than Linux or Windows, why don't you buy them a Mac?

>be poor
> having kids
>>
>>47164050
>Where's emacs
>Huh?
>Vim?
>Wha?
>Nedit?
>What's that?
>Xedit?
>Never heard of it.
>nano?
>Nano? What's this?
>How am I supposed to use this computer if you don't even have nano?
>>
>>47163989
Is it worse than the indoctrination of Windows? Or for that matter atheism?
I will teach my kids only facts. I was raised agnostic and I chose Catholicism.
I was raised Windows and chose Linux.
>>
>>47164137
>not wanting your kids to become spoiled consumerists
>must be poorfag
Macfag
>>
>>47164104
>>47164141
I think you misunderstood me.

Teaching them varied operating systems is the correct choice.

when i have a kid, when they're old enough and start asking questions about operating systems, I'll tell them about iOS and Unix.

I don't know jack shit about iOS or Unix, but I'd learn for my kid if they expressed interest. We'd learn together.

I certainly wont be telling them Unix is shit, even though thats how I feel.
>>
File: 384.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
384.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>47164137
>OSX is better than Linux or Windows
>>
>>47164172
Unix is not shit. Go kill yourself if you believe that because you have no right to have kids.

Anyways, most people don't give a shit about Unix vs Windows, but I think it's because no one they know does.
>>
teach them every OS and to hate every OS equally

this is the only real way to make them into what they'll eventually become
>>
>>47164141
>I chose Catholicism
nice edge ;^)
>>
>>47164139
>Oh, we use Word
>Word?
>Microsoft Word. Do you have a computer at home?
>?
>>
>>47164199
>Go kill yourself

Jesus christ, SORRY Linx/GNU/Blah blah is shit.

Unix is fine, I recognize there are a LOT of software applications in the world that operate off of Unix, so that's fucking awesome. But in my home, for daily use? Not for me.
>>
>>47164216
>oh that shit program, yea I got it

uses openoffice / libreoffice to save to shit format

not hard.
>>
>>47164200
Teach your kid ITS, Genera, and VMS.

You will not be able to get your kid to hate those if he is halfway intelligent.
>>
>>47164221
You make my neckbeard feel sad ;_;
>>
>>47163989
>teaching your kids a different computer system is up there with indoctrinating them with a set of falsehoods which dictate living habits and moral standing

TIP LE FUCKING FEDORA
>>
>>47164233
>kid goes through school thinking Windows is a Linux distro with a customized KDE theme
>Wonders why XTerm and the shell is so fucked up
>>
>>47164262
Information is this ages religion faggot, if you don't see that, then you're to far buried under your muh GNU tophat and no one can help you.
>>
>>47164221
So you own a Mac? You know OSX has been certified by The Open Group, the holders of the UNIX trademark, as UNIX, right?
>>
>>47164281
OS X may be certified, but it is far from Unix.

Launchd, plists, Quartz, all un-Unix. It is architecturally Mach with BSD wrapped around. It may be certified, but Solaris or Unixware are more Unix, and are certified.
>>
File: 1390172118681.jpg (55 KB, 610x440) Image search: [Google]
1390172118681.jpg
55 KB, 610x440
>>47164281
No I do not own a mac. God damn.

Unix is great. I use windows.

Are you fucking autists finished?
>>
>>47163925
teach them
>ubuntu
>debian
>fedora
>arch
>gentoo
>trisquel
>openbsd
>plan 9
>os x
>windows
in that order
>>
>>47164221
Unix is the best. Go fuck yourself.

What do you use at home then? Most all OS's are Unices nowadays.
>>
>>47164233
>Every assignment they turn in is improperly formatted
>Teacher assumes they have learning disabilities
>Held back indefinitely
Exporting to pdf and google drive is the only way one can navigate the educational institution using linux as a daily driver.
Yeah, google drive, deal with it nigger.
It's actually pretty handy because I can edit documents without people knowing I'm a gnufag and if they get corrupted I can blame it on drive and it's a legitimate excuse for normal fags (whereas "oh libreoffice fucked it up, sorry man" would not be).
>>
>>47164295
Dennis Ritchie said nothing that would suggest Launchd, plists, or Quartz are un-Unix. Are you going tell The Open Group that they are wrong?
>>
>>47164303
>openbsd
>plan 9
You, my friend, are doing God's work.
Also
>Minix
>Solaris
>Tru64
>SCO Unixware
>FreeBSD
>NetBSD
>>
>>47164320
I've used libre & open office for ~10 years never had problem from middle - high school - college

never had any formatting problems either.
>>
>>47164320
I don't know, open/libreoffice has gotten me through school.
>>
>>47164297
You can use glass panes used to provide an outside view in ones house without letting in rain and other debris as a computer operating system? How do you manage that?
>>
>>47164322
Yes, I fucking am. Stop with your appeal to authority. DMR didn't say anything, but why would he spend his time worrying about his OS X. He had more important things to do.
>>
>>47164376
Brian Kernighan uses Macs and thinks they're pretty UNIXy. Are you going to keep going?
>>
>>47164389
They are pretty UNIXy, but my argument still stands. Launchd, Mach, and whatnot are not Unix or anything of the sort.
>B-but dis guy never said so!
Fuck you. It is unixy in use, but not inside.
>>
File: reference.gif (883 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
reference.gif
883 KB, 500x269
>>47164367
rip
>>
>>47164334
and
>reactOS
>inferno
>chromiumOS
>android
>guix sd

>>47164320
google docs is a proprietary javascript program literally no different from running microsoft word via wine except in that it's shit and has formatting incompatibilities like loffice
just use latex and loffice and submit pdfs you autist
>>
>>47164416
You're one of those pedants who think UNIX means anything other than the trademark used to describe the OS developed by Bell Labs in the late 70s and sold by AT&T with their workstations in the 80s, then sold to The Open Group god knows when to give them the right to dub whatever they choose as UNIX.
>>
>>47164389
only apple would think of something as fucked up as an xml-based init system
>>
>>47164447
Unix is also a philosophy. Operating systems that follow it and are similar to the Old Unixes are more Unix, in my eyes.
Autistic faggot.
>>
>>47164460
Yes. WHAT THE FUCK.

Someone needs to smack the retard who came up with that idea. WHAT THE FUUUUCK.

WHY WOULD YOU USE XML FOR ANYTHING WHYYYY
>>
>>47164216
Were you not listening ?
Alias word=lowriter
>>
>>47164464
Hence pedant. There's UNIX and there's UNIXy and if anyone says otherwise they need to find more meaningful things to argue about.
>>
>>47164481
I can't tell if you're being ironic or not.
>>
>>47164481
You folks don't complain about Openbox's configuration system.
>>
>>47164481
amen
>/Library/Framework/OpenGL/2.0/Framework/lib/OpenGL/2.0/lib/Framework/lib/GL/libGL.so

>>47164504
retard

>>47164515
no one uses openbox
if I knew its config system I would probably complain about it for a bit
>>
>>47164320
>turning in anything but pdf files
>ever
what mickey mouse uni do you even go to?
>>
Computer lab with OP's kid

>Alright class, open Word
*right clicks looking for a root menu*
Damn, no root menu.
Hmm, there's a menu
"xterm"
Nope.
"Terminal"
Nope.
"cmd"
*types in prompt*"word"
Nope.
"msword"
WTF?
*Ctrl-alt-f6*
What the fuck?
Umm
>Is everybody in Word yet
Uh, no?
>You click the start menu, more applications, and then click word
Wow, that's so complicated.
>>
>>47164539
>cmd
how
>>
>>47164515
I do. I used OpenBox for two days before I grew tired of that shit.
>>
>>47164551
Lucky guess.
>>
>>47163925
>Are there any flaws in my plan?

Yes, your children will be outcasts, socially inept autists and quite possibly even child molesters.
>>
>>47164571
So, no flaws? Who doesn't want their child to be as successful as them?
>>
>>47163925
>walk into your son's bedroom one day to chat
>his desktop wallpaper is rms
>there's massive drawings of rms on the walls
>he's staring at them in glee and lust
>suddenly you hear a noise from the corner of the room
>rms is climbing out the window
>your jaw is somewhere around your feet
>he looks back and says
>"i freed him. it's all ogre"
>he climbs out the second story window and flies away
>>
>>47164594
Was it Santa?
>>
>>47164594
GNU is love
GNU is life
>>
>>47164322
I can understand business would want to use something that is compatible with "the industry standard" and thus use office. I would not spend a minute trying to get my spreadsheet converted to gnumeric or libreoffice because of ethical ideals. But in a school it makes very little sense economically, ethically and technically to use windows with office. I know that they get discounts but they are still paying money for something that they don't have to and doesn't improve the education.
Given that office is not compatible with free alternatives children are more likely to pirate the software than installing a free alternative. I don't think this is ethical.
All I got was a few weeks in the computer lab where we learned to make a budget in excel and then we had to make some assignments in word. All that could have easily been taught in another application without even changing the courseware and I think this is even easier today.
>>
>>47164624
gave me an idea
someone shoop rms into santa
>>
>>47164594
wat
>>
>>47164646
Misquote?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.