[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did we go from this...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12
File: then.png (457 KB, 630x641) Image search: [Google]
then.png
457 KB, 630x641
How did we go from this...
>>
File: today.png (675 KB, 1160x1504) Image search: [Google]
today.png
675 KB, 1160x1504
...to this?
>>
To be fair OP, the new design is less cluttered than the old design.
>>
>>47157866
jewgle bought it
>>
Are you implying the YouTube layout hasn't been improved? If so, you're wrong.

Or maybe you're bitching about the top-reviewed video, in which case nobody cares faggot.
>>
html5 ???
>>
I dunno. I like the new one better. although theyt are not very different. if you hate youtube get the fuck off of it
>>
>>47157865
don't you think you should take off those rose tinted nostalgia goggles just a bit? it's not like CBM was any good to begin with. anyways, I'll agree its gotten worse since people see youtube as a quick easy way to become famous thanks to the moronic masses who love anything.
>>
>>47157880
not OP, but the whole "we know better than you, maybe you would like THAT?" and the whole elimination of content tabs in favor of that fucking "load more" button is awful, and I don't know what designer put it on, but he deserves to be fired.

But it's just jewgle showing off all their botnet in full action and daring you to find an alternative, so eh.
>>
File: yt.png (23 KB, 1198x1918) Image search: [Google]
yt.png
23 KB, 1198x1918
>>47157866
Oh god, I never knew youtube was that shitty by default

what has this world come to?
>>
>>47157910
>dark as my soul
>>
Seeing them side-by-side makes me a little less nostalgic for the old layout.

Best layout:
>Put _all_ information a side bar to the left of the video. Video is right-aligned
>Related videos underneath in a box that fills remaining space and can be expanded.
>Comments hidden until expanded.
>>
>>47157917
no, just dark as my retinas can tolerate after years of abuse
>>
>>47157909
If you think you know better than their designers, write an extension and the CSS and JS to make the layout the way you want it.

"We know better than you" argument is stupid, because every site on the web operates under that methodology. It's only a problem when somebody doesn't like the change.
>>
>>47157865

The only thing about that screenshot that I miss is the OSX scrollbars
>>
A thing that I fucking hate about the new layout is the inability to move the video to a corner of the screen. I have a fucking 27 inch monitor and the videos are centered on the browser, so if I want to have two windows with youtube in the back, I have to shrink the browser so the only thing you can see is the player.
>>
why did google decide to move the video description from the right to the bottom of the video? now nobody reasons the damn description that might have answered your question, even if it says so to check video description right before the video starts.
>>
>>47157975
I think having the description below the video would deter more needless questions than having it to the right. In particular, you have to pass the video description on your way to the comments section, this way.

Either way, the only reason video descriptions are shitty is because you need to enable fucking JavaScript to read past the first line. That is all sorts of wrong/broken web design.
>>
File: now-thats-what-i-call-edgy.png (224 KB, 372x325) Image search: [Google]
now-thats-what-i-call-edgy.png
224 KB, 372x325
>>47157910
>that font
>that color
>comments hidden
>>
>>47157910
Cool style but why did you hide the video. It doesn't seem very practical for a video service.
>>
>>47158007
>comments hidden
>edgy
>implying any man who knows what's good for him would even let them catch his eye
>>
>>47158007
I didn't hide the comments, it's not my fault the website doesn't have adequate
<noscript>
fallbacks. (Although, to be fair: If it did, I would hide them)

Also, fun fact: the youtube website is actually easier to navigate when javascript is disabled, since clicking on a video link will actually work like a normal link, rather than some JS mess that mangles the page body without properly fixing the
<head>
metadata (such as the shortlink) or leaving a proper browser history for the back button etc.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOCwt6k-Nx4
>>
>>47158026
You're ot supposed to watch videos on Youtube, youtube-dl/mps-youtube exists for that purpose
>>
>>47158007
>simplistic look
>hiding youtube comments
>edgy
man, you are on cocksucker aren't you? This is man is smart for hiding YouTube comments since fucking /b/ has smarter and better discussions on ANYTHING that gets discussed on YouTube.
>>
>>47158026
Because I prefer not to use my browser's fucking terrible built-in video “player”.

The youtube website is nothing more than a simple front-end for browsing through videos, which I view using mpv.
>>
>>47158049
don't even try to rationalize hiding the comments. you're the equivalent of a child sticking his fingers in his ears and going, "lalalalalalalala i can't heeear youuuuu!"

if you don't want to read le comments, don't le look at them.
>>
>>47158065
>You're not supposed to watch videos with youtube-dl/mps-youtube.
Just wget them like RMS does :^)
>>
File: naamu.png (339 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
naamu.png
339 KB, 1920x1080
>>47157910
Eh, too dark for my preferences.

>self-styled youtube based on some dark theme I found
>>
>>47158084
>simplistic look
>not edgy
dude, simplistic is the definition of edgy.
>>
>>47158098
no it's not, kid.
>>
>>47158096
The scrollbar and bright icons at the bottom would hurt my eyes after a few hours
>>
>>47158186
Scrollbar is in the windows theme, can't do anything about it.
>bitching about icons on the taskbar
You hate having fun, right?
>>
>>47158200
You can change scrollbars though with CSS
>>
>>47158087
Isn't that what he's doing?

Jesus christ, that's one of the stupidest things I've seen anyone on /g/ argue about, and it's not even technology related.
>>
>>47158087
>if you don't want to read le comments, don't le look at them.
Or you can just block them because why the fuck not?
>>
>>47157865
>tfw you could scroll related videos without scrolling past the video you are watching
>>
Feel free to boycott YT and use vimeo instead OP!
>>
>>47158087
but youtube comments are often filled with meme spewing faggots and other cancerous garbage. there is nothing valuable in a youtube comment. It truly is the bottom of the barrel in terms of internet communities.
>>
>>47158216
Ooooo.
Tho I can't be bothered, really.
I kinda like firefox + dark dev theme
>>
Please tell me how to disable those mind numbing comments...
>>
File: gugure.webm (44 KB, 316x406) Image search: [Google]
gugure.webm
44 KB, 316x406
>>47157942

why
>>
Damn I miss the old YouTube layout. It was nearly perfect; only a few tiny rough edges that could have been fixed in 5 minutes if they had bothered. Instead they changed everything and now it sucks.

Part of the "if it hasn't been changed at least once in the last 3 months, then its obsolete" trend.
>>
>>47158241
>tfw you could scroll related videos without scrolling past the video you are watching

Damn the nostalgia. I got so used to the new layout that I forgot about this. HOLY SHIT.
>>
>>47158265
No, no. It goes down a long way from there. You want to see the true rock bottom?

Try the League of Legends forums.
>>
Youtube is not libre, and as such you should not be using it. The use of non-free Javascript contributes to the oppression of people and the free software community.
>>
yea youtube is shit now

new ver has like 60% less functionality too
>>
>>47157865

i liked when Youtube has in the video information a world map and how popular the video was in certain countries.. also when it had links of places that hyperlinked people to your video
>>
>>47157910
>I am the dark of the night
>my soul is as dark as they get
>>
>>47158511
how is having a plain black background with colored text edgy?
>>
>>47158186
Are you really that sensitive to white light? I just have my youtube settings on default and the light never bothers me unless it's really late and I'm exhausted.
>>
>>47158511
joke's on you, it's actually the middle of the day here and I have my room lighting turned on as well

I've been staring into a monitor non-stop for the past X years. Having that shit on anything but black by default makes my eyes hurt.

I also have the brightness set to 50 cd/m2, which is the absolute lowest they will go. Still too bright
>>
>>47157910
Do you type with these gloves?

http://www.wowhead.com/item=14551/
>>
I just hide everything.
>>
File: 1364539836664.jpg (737 KB, 960x1288) Image search: [Google]
1364539836664.jpg
737 KB, 960x1288
Eh, the current one isn't really that bad. It's gone through various levels of shittyness, but the current layout is clean, responsive, and lets you do what you want to do (watch the video).

I'm nostalgic for the old version too. But things change.
>>
>tfw the most I see of youtube is occasionally the frontpage and the first search results
>tfw I usually just open a link I see here to view the title and then youtube-dl it if I think I'll like it
>>
>>47158593
WE'VE GOT A LINE IN THE SKY

RADAR LOVE
>>
>>47157865
>>47157866
SJW faggots ruined it (vloggers included)
>>
>>47158593
h-how?
>>
>>47159338
https://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper
>>
>>47159546
why not ublock?
>>
>>47158085

you really are a fucking sperg, aren't you?

jesus christ.
>>
>>47159893

or use youtube feather.
>>
File: browser.png (94 KB, 918x566) Image search: [Google]
browser.png
94 KB, 918x566
>>47157910
Wow, we use almost the exact same colours for our browsers.
>>
>>47158087
Subhuman mental cripples on muh /g/?
>>
>>47160006
Jesus fucking christ that's disgusting
>>
>>47159962
Is that still up?
>>
>>47157865
What I miss is having an "x" button to remove already watched videos from my subscriptions instead of the stupid drop down menu
>>
File: eat_shit.jpg (25 KB, 400x505) Image search: [Google]
eat_shit.jpg
25 KB, 400x505
One thing I really miss is how reply videos showed right below. I guess nobody remembers it.
>>
>>47160195
There was a bit of a fuss when they disappeared. Not as big as currently since it only really affected content creators, but I remember a few people I watched pretending they'd leave.
>>
File: ustv_louis_ck.jpg (25 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
ustv_louis_ck.jpg
25 KB, 300x225
>>47157917
more like
>SE
>dark as my Somali bull
>>
>>47160006
I originally got the colors from /g/, it was a terminal theme called “photons”. I forgot the original author.

I have only modified them very slightly since their original version.
>>
>>47157866
>not having activated here
>>
>>47157917
HEAD LIKE A HOLE
BLACK AS YOUR SOUL
ID RATHER DIE
THAN GIVE YOU CONTROL
>>
File: 1426449380.png (137 KB, 329x324) Image search: [Google]
1426449380.png
137 KB, 329x324
>not using rss feeds for channels
>Not using mpsyt for random browsing
Jesus christ /g/ I thought you knew how to do these things.
>>
>>47159338

CSS. It's not perfect but it gets the job done.
>>
The new layout is fine the Google integration is what made it into shit.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.