[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux isn't a popular desktop OS because >UI projects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: linux.jpg (24 KB, 450x309) Image search: [Google]
linux.jpg
24 KB, 450x309
Linux isn't a popular desktop OS because
>UI projects are fractured, inconsistent, and incomplete
>every distros updates either break periodically or are way behind
>the support for critical commercial apps & file formats marginal at best

True or false?
>>
>>47156066
Your first and third reasons are completely true but honestly I couldn't care less about the UI or proprietary software. Linux is an important part of the operating system it doesn't make up the entire system.
>>
>>47156066
>>UI projects are fractured, inconsistent, and incomplete
Right, just like every Windows anti-virus, web browser, digital marketplace, DAW, video editor and other piece of commercial piece of software that want to be "different". Only .net shit actually remains consistent with the Windows style. AND then there are fucking metro apps.
I would actually say that it's MORE unified on GNU/Linux.

>>every distros updates either break periodically or are way behind
It has all just werk'd for me.

>critical commercial apps
>Muh photoshop
>e-everyone is a graphic designer and needs all of the photoshop exclusive feautures, r-right g-guys?

>file formats
I'm sure there is a GNU/Linux tool to deal with every file format that isn't some proprietary shit that is only used by 1 piece of software.
>>
The question is why doesn't the community try to tackle these problems, doesn't seem like something impossible to overcome.

Maybe the iron hand of Linus should extend to more areas
>>
>>47156158
>Maybe the iron hand of Linus should extend to more areas
He doesn't give a shit about anything outside of kernel space.
>>
>>47156176
yeah exactly
>>
>>47156176
And no one outside kernel space gives a shit about him and his opinions.
>>
my problem with linux is the file manager and thumbnails not showing

where do you even put pictures, music and videos on linux? usr/root/niggers/new folder/music?

fuck that
>>
>>47156066
I use debian on and off for couple of years periods for the last 15years.
Never had any *real* issues.

But...
Step the fuck back, I'm an engineer.
I completely understand why filthy casuals can't into linux.
Its just not a point and click kind of thing, it never was, and that is actually one of its strengths.

That's imho the reason, and it has been all along.

All things op mentioned upset seasoned users, not adopters.
>>
>>47156204
>where do you even put pictures, music and videos on linux? usr/root/niggers/new folder/music?
Pretty much everyone uses xdg-user-dirs, which typically is
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"

but you can put them anywhere you want to.
>>
>>47156232
this is the problem with linux right here

on windows it could be C:\Pictures\
>>
>>47156241
are you for real
>>
>>47156241
>this is the problem with linux right here
Why? Do environment variables scare you or something? Windows has those too, you know.
A user would typically never have to touch it or even think about it at all, unless they want to change it.
>>
>>47156066
manufacturers choosing windows may be the answer you are looking for.
>>47156191
well, git developers care...
>>
>>47156241
this is the problem with IT right here

on anything it should be redundantgigabitnetworkstorage/pictures/
>>
>>47156220
>Step the fuck back, I'm an engineer.
Literally the reason why I can't use Linux. There's practically no engineering software and what exists is someone's grand idea that was implemented 22%. It's a very large generalization I admint, but nevertheless it's how sad the state is.
>>
It's just to difficult to use

The hell is this sudo and apt-get shit
>>
>>47156270
I don't use linux for my engineering stuff lel, mostly plebastic internet, multimedia.
Only real work I do with it its mostly it/systems maintenance, terminal shitboxes.
Windows xp/7 for automation design/programming, that is what I do.
Being an engineer only helps me figure linux shit out quick.
>>
>>47156318
>apt-get
>difficult to use
Wow, you sure are retarded.
And to think that we actually share this board with people like you.
>>
>>47156066
while those are all true, I don't think those are the reason Linux isn't a popular desktop OS.

I think the real reason it isn't popular is because
>it isn't force-distributed and aggressively marketed by anti-competitive megacorporations
>>
>>47156334
who the fuck names linux bullshit anyway?

people talk about packages, okay, on freebsd if you want to install a package, the command is pkg install

on most ganoo linux, it's apt-get install

pkg or apt-get
which is easier

why is this allowed
>>
>>47156204
>where do you even put pictures, music and videos on linux?
I put them in ~/media/imagery, ~/media/music and ~/media/movies respectively
>>
>>47156066
Updates work relatively good meanwhile, at least on Ubuntu and its derivatives.

I agree on UI and support for commercial apps and formats, though.
>>
>>47156232
>XDG dirs
NO

fucking

stop

this

cancer
>>
>>47156346
>who the fuck names linux bullshit anyway?
Names are usually descriptive acronyms. The person who created that particular piece of software named it, obviously.

>on most ganoo linux, it's apt-get install
Only on Debian-based systems.

>apt-get
APT: Advanced Packaging Tool
apt-get. Get a package using APT.
>>
>>47156363
>your entire system at your fingertips

Protip: It's called GUI since 1982 or so.
>>
>>47156372
What the hell is wrong with xdg-user-dirs?
Would you rather have no standard at all and have people leave shit all over the place?
That would be a nightmare for application developers.
>>
>>47156363
but why? why is every linux command unintuitive? why is tar syntax such horseshit? xjfvfasdxzcvb what's the fucking value of it?
>>
The ONLY reason Linux isn't a popular desktop OS is because PC's don't come with it pre-installed.

Windows was a fucking terrible operating system and it still is, it got popular just because it was pre-installed on almost every PC, and proprietary commercial software support followed that.

Large majority of people don't choose their OS, and don't choose Windows. If as many PC's that shipped with Windows shipped with Linux instead, Windows would die and Linux would take it's place.

Completely false.

The divide between GTK and Qt is not that huge. They're both good too.
>>
>>47156386
Because there was a time when the fat lazy men came together and agreed that everything will be as short as possible to spare their fat sausage fingers from typing too hard.
>>
>>47156204
~/music ~/pictures
>>
>>47156383
>implying 90% of everyday tasks can't be done much faster in a terminal
>implying the GUI supersedes terminals
the only downside to terminals is their learning courve. after a month or two, when you begin to grasp what you're doing and start setting up aliases to further optimize your workflows.

>>47156386
$ man tar
x = eXtract
f = File
v = Verbose
z = gZip
no, it's not intuitive. if you want intuitive, get a mac.
>>
>>47156385
Here's a better question:

why the FUCK should random applications care where I store my private pictures?

>What the hell is wrong with xdg-user-dirs?
enforced mandatory hierarchy of data that might not be as hierarchical as the layout suggests. inflexible

also, who the FUCK capitalizes directory names? that shit is a Windows and OS X tradition and needs to die again. and seriously, ~/Documents? It would be ~/doc if anything.

>Would you rather have no standard at all
this standard does not need to exist. it assumes users are too fucking retarded to come up with their own folder hierarchy for personal data

I find that fucking insulting, if anything

>That would be a nightmare for application developers.
application developer right here and I don't have a fucking problem with it
>>
>>47156383
>Implying that a gooey is a replacement for a command line at all
>Implying that you can script gooeys
>>
>UI projects are broken
Well, considering I'm going to switch to another DWM or something because two distros, based on Ubuntu and Arch, couldn't do DPI scaling in an interface or config file, yeah, I agree.

>break frequently or are way behind
I haven't had this issue, only when hand-compiling. I will agree that for the most part, GPU support is SHIT for "normal" things. Mesa and proprietary libs tend to not support vsync properly. I can get good game performance and use a Displayport adapter that autosenses VGA/DVI/HDMI, but vsync via cpu OR gpu methods? Nah that's for plebs

>commercial apps
I was infinitely saddened when I imported graphs from Minitab, only for Libreoffice to fuck them up when converting to the right windows interpretation. Looked fine on my end, but no, had to print out the document and hand it in.

I'd say Linux is more "not popular" because of 1) hardware issues with wifi and sound, and 2) nobody has had a chance to use it for a while.

Also 3:
>it doesn't support itunes!
>>
>>47156417
>after a month or two, when you begin to grasp what you're doing and start setting up aliases to further optimize your workflows.
And then I look at a 4 year old kid who can grasp a GUI within minutes and think to myself: people are fucking weird.
>>
File: laugh.jpg (266 KB, 604x527) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
266 KB, 604x527
>>47156390
>The ONLY reason Linux isn't a popular desktop OS is because PC's don't come with it pre-installed.Windows was a fucking terrible operating system and it still is, it got popular just because it was pre-installed on almost every PC, and proprietary commercial software support followed that.Large majority of people don't choose their OS, and don't choose Windows. If as many PC's that shipped with Windows shipped with Linux instead, Windows would die and Linux would take it's place.
>>
>>47156431
>it assumes users are too fucking retarded to come up with their own folder hierarchy for personal data
Are you Autistic? Most people would find it insulting if you told them:
>just b urself, we spent decades finding out what was useful, but surely you want to spend time and effort devising your own schemas instead of just saving an image from the internet
It's not surprising you're a shitty programmer:
>assumes everyone should be as "smart" as he is
>belittles others who actually have to work for a living
God you actually wrote "application developer", you're hilarious.
>>
>>47156431
>why the FUCK should random applications care where I store my private pictures?
So that an application can have sane defaults for where a file picker/saver should open, and not have to search the entire home directory to find types of files it is looking for.

>enforced mandatory hierarchy of data that might not be as hierarchical as the layout suggests. inflexible
Don't define the ones you don't use then. It is optional, you know.

>who the FUCK capitalizes directory names
Uncapitalise them then.
>It would be ~/doc if anything.
Use that then.
They are specified in XDG_CONFIG_DIR/user-dirs.dirs (~/.config you fucking autist).

>it assumes users are too fucking retarded to come up with their own folder hierarchy for personal data
That is true for a lot of people though.

>I find that fucking insulting, if anything
>Taking minor software design choices personally
Calm your autism.

>application developer right here and I don't have a fucking problem with it
>Everyone should only listen to MY opinions! Listen to MEEE!!
>>
>>47156473
>deflecting, bigoting, strawman, projecting, hypocriticism, ad hominem and trolling, all in one post
this is literally /g/ - the post
>>
>>47156499
I am also mad, good morning, sir.
>>
>>47156386
>why is every linux command unintuitive? why is tar syntax such horseshit? xjfvfasdxzcvb what's the fucking value of it?

It's sperglord autism for the sake of it.
If you want an OS with a sane cli-tool you still need to run Windows in 2015.
Even OSX is full of this unix shit.
>>
File: a08.jpg (20 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
a08.jpg
20 KB, 479x720
>caring about how many people use it
>not choosing a product based on personal preference
>implying either windows or linux is a bad choice

why do I even reply? /g/ has become such an insignificant and sad place....
>>
>>47156390
It's not the only reason... come on now.
>>
>>47156541
>implying that it wasn't always like this
>>
>>47156499
I'm not sure what a “file picker” is supposed to be, but when I save files I don't really find it difficult to type the directory name I want to save it in. I mean, is it really so hard to type
cd ~/music
before
wget ...
or whatever?

>It is optional, you know.
Good thing it is, then. I'll define none.

Personally, what just really fucking triggers me is when running winecfg or something creates ~/Desktop

Come to think of it, I should set up a daemon that uses inotify to monitor for directory creations and instantly auto-deletes anything named /home/X/Desktop
>>
>>47156540
>If you want an OS with a sane cli-tool you still need to run Windows in 2015.

That's still flat out wrong.

The only "sane" CLI is Windows, because it's the only OS where the CLI by default offers nothing over the mouse / keyboard. That's "sane" in the sense that it's useless.

UNIX based OSes provide more functionality with command line interfaces, but they have a steeper learning curve.
>>
>>47156385
>What the hell is wrong with xdg-user-dirs?

It's annoying and dysfunctional garbage. Never in all these years have I stored my pictures in Pictures, my music in Music and so on.
Why the hell would I store my downloaded applications in Downloads instead of saving them either to desktop and then copy and paste them to Applications or directly save them in Apllications. etc. etc.
>>
>>47156066
That's what you get by choosing anarchy.
>>
>>47156569
As I've been saying, fucking define them to where you actually keep your shit, or undefine them if you don't use them.

>>47156558
>2015
>wget
Fucking pleb. There no reason anyone should listen to your shitty opinion.
>>
>>47156592
what the fuck do you suggest as a replacement to wget?

curl?
>>
>>47156560
>That's "sane" in the sense that it's useless.

in the first place you shouldn't need the cli anyway, it's something you are forced to use because the software and/or the OS are faulty and miss important functions and options

Other than that
sane cli:

>set icon theme xyz
>install package xyz
>copy file x location y
etc.

unix/Linux cli:

>xconf query -$ conf rfg for trz -s xyz
>sudo apt-get pacman yast yum whatever install
>sudo dd if=/path/to/xyz of=/path/devicenode bs=1M
(In b4 you got it all wrong Linux is just examples without regard of correct syntax)
J
ust deal with it, Unix a shit for programmers and last century's 80s office computers and networks. Windows cli is the only one that comes even near to sanity
>>
>>47156646
Yes. wget is deprecated and curl is superior in every possible way.
>>
>>47156118
By commercial apps, I think OP also meant Office. IMO the only two major shortcomings of Linux as an enterprise OS are Office, Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat. Those are the major commercial apps it's missing for most applications.

That being said, I run Win 8.1 Pro at work (because I ran Fedora for a year and a half and switched to Windows because I got tired of working in a Windows environment), but I use CentOS 7 on my personal laptop.

I'm the admin here so I'm working on moving us over to an all-linux system so I can switch back to linux, and give some people the option of CentOS for desktop instead of Windows.
>>
>>47156649
>
sudo dd if=/path/to/xyz of=/path/devicenode bs=1M

or you could just not be retarded and use
cp a b
>wow such simple

also,
copy file x location y

this sounds like a TERRIBLE fucking CLI
>>
>>47156204
Arch and ubuntu forks always show thumbs. Also in /home/user/pictures, similar to c:\users\user\pictures...
>>
>>47156660
I'll switch to curl if you can tell me this:

What flag do I pass to curl to make it download to a file instead of to STDOUT? (like wget's default behavior)

ain't got time for no long-ass man pages, I got dev work to be doing
>>
>>47156592
>define them to where you actually keep your shit, or undefine them if you don't use them.

What does that even mean. I just create a folder called /music/pics or wahtever somewhere I want to have it and throw my files into it, and that's it. No need to define shit.
>>
>>47156670
Just use a shell output redirect or pipe it to tee.
>>
>I dont know what it means therefore it's crap
>my drive isn't called c:? NONONONONO
Literally all the arguments itt
>>
>>47156662
>this sounds like a TERRIBLE fucking CLI

No it sounds like fucking human logic, like put dick in bagina, even a retard can understand and use it immediately
>>
>>47156649
I know it's bait, but I'll reply anyway.
There are shitloads of things that can be done very easily in a command line that would be ridiculously tedious using some shitty gooey.
>Implying that you can automate gooeys

>>47156670
-O for output

>>47156677
xdg-user-dirs are defined in .config/user-dirs.dirs.
You can change or remove any entries that you want to.
>>
>>47156661
>Microsoft Office
Available for Linux: Never
Good thing enterprises are switching to Google Docs because its available anywhere on anything.

>Photoshop
Available for Linux: Sometime not too far off
Or at least their future html5 version is in testing now and will likely at some point be opened up to the general public as the only version.

>Adobe Acrobat
There's tons of better pdf readers than Acrobat, why is this even a thing? Just use a poppler based viewer.
>>
>>47156681
So when you download something like http://red.cachefly.net/learn/panning-24fps-180.mp4 you actually type
curl http://red.cachefly.net/learn/panning-24fps-180.mp4 > panning-24fps-180.mp4
rather than just
wget http://red.cachefly.net/learn/panning-24fps-180.mp4
?
>>
>>47156176
And that's a huge shame.
I feel like if Linus decided to make Linux a full-fledged desktop OS he'd just need support from one of the major DE dev teams and that'd be it.
>>
>>47156714
It already is a full fledged desktop OS.
How is Linus saying that he endorses some distro going to change anything at all?
>>
Christ, you autists wouldn't have lasted t seconds on 1980's era machines.
>command line! Poke it with a stick
>doesnt work
>>
>>47156649
Some workflows are easier to do with CLI.

For example:

Add the word "butt" to the name just before the extension for every single jpg in a folder of 1000 of them.

Doing that manually by clicking on each one and renaming is a PITA.

Doing that in a script takes only a few minutes to write.
>>
>>47156690
ya everyone is stupid except ME XD
>>
>>47156733
>what is this apt-get stuff? Doesnt make any sense
Someone said this earlier. Come on, now.
>>
>>47156732
rename ".jpg" "butt.jpg" *

:^)
>>
>>47156726
By creating any actual standards?
I mean, sure, I get that Linux is all about being customizable as fuck, and that's awesome.
But I'm sure that if it'd get a "standard" for desktop apps, like window toolkits (GTK+ or QT, I don't really care, though I'd prefer QT), a "shell" - Windows style, easily changeable experience you could actually get used to, instead of learning 20 WMs and 10 DEs, set of standard desktop applications to go along with it and getting rid of GNU libs, as they're decaprated and are not required anymore, would push Linux, as an OS higher in the list.
>>
>>47156759
Indeed, works great.

Some automation tasks lend themselves well to command line methods.

But I wouldn't, say, want to browse the web without a mouse - equally PITA.
>>
>>47156790
replied to this post without using a mouse

it's literally fine

you just haven't used the right tools for the job yet

(brotip: it's called pentadactyl and/or vimperator)
>>
Linux isn' successful because of: [spoiler]games[/spoiler]

We all know it. No need to beat around the bush.
>>
>>47156765
>By creating any actual standards?
There are plenty of standards. Most of them are only relevant to developers.
The most relevant probably being POSIX.
>But I'm sure that if it'd get a "standard" for desktop apps
The 'standard' is the one your DE/distro ships.
>GTK+ or QT, I don't really care, though I'd prefer QT
Not everyone agrees with you.
>a shell
Bash.
>experience you could actually get used to, instead of learning 20 WMs and 10 DEs, set of standard desktop applications to go along with it
Yeah, you just described a fucking distribution.
>getting rid of GNU libs, as they're decaprated and are not required anymore
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. GNU is still a very fundamental part of the operating system.
>>
>>47156801
>replied to this post without using a mouse

Congratulations, you completely missed the point.
>>
>>47156732
>linux users have the tools to add ass to the end of all of my files
Have you guys ever thought you made a solution for a problem that doesn't exist?
>>
>>47156816
>plenty of standards
>most relevant to devs
By standard I meant an unified desktop experience.
>Not everyone agrees with you
I know. So?
GTK+ is neat tho, but it's filepicker is the worst fucking thing ever.
>Bash
Or 20 other ones that are better. So?
>Yeah, you just described a fucking distribution.
No shit. Now if there was a distribution everyone could just refer to as "Linux" and it'd actually always be the -same-, as 1:1 experience on every machine.
That's never really going to happen, is it?
>You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. GNU is still a very fundamental part of the operating system.
Eh, Alpine Linux proves you wrong
>>
>>47156220
>People bitch about Windows being point and click
>You can easily use the Powershell, just like you would use the terminal in any Linux distro

9/10 times I will be called a shill for pointing this out. What gives?
>>
>>47156863
>Now if there was a distribution everyone could just refer to as "Linux" and it'd actually always be the -same-, as 1:1 experience on every machine.
There's literally no reason or benefit to this. I swear you guys are just allergic to choice for some retarded reason.
>>
>>47156848
Say im a photoshop artist, and for some dumbass reason I saved all my images as .jpg, but they need to be transparent. I have 300 images.
Instead of renaming each one manually, I could use the command line to change all 300 to png in one attempt.
>>
>>47156878
>There's literally no reason or benefit to this.
Normies could start using Linux.

>I swear you guys are just allergic to choice for some retarded reason.
>>47156765
>I mean, sure, I get that Linux is all about being customizable as fuck, and that's awesome.

What about this: Create something people can get used to and then let them switch to something else?
Is it really too much to ask for?
>>
>>47156902
What you want has already existed for years and it's called Ubuntu.
>>
>>47156902
Ubuntu is about as normie as it can get, it's practically windows tier.
>>
>>47156547
It is the only reason. A really shitty operating system, even one somehow worse than Windows, could get as much desktop marketshare as Windows if it was pushed onto almost every PC, in the same anti-competitive manner.

Desktop OS usage share has very little to do with how good the operating system is, and almost entirely to do with how many PC's get shipped with the OS preinstalled.
>>
I think Linux's problem is neither the hardcore or the noob.
The problem are the people in the middle.A.k.a. the geek squad,C0D H4X0RZ and kids like those...They need much better gooey administration programs because for them if they have to configure anything in terminal what they can do from the control panel in Windows-->Linux=Bad
>>
>>47156910
Ubuntu's rather meh though. And it's not what I want. It uses GTK, has a Mac-like interface with a disgusting window snap feture that puts the menus on the top bar.

>>47156913
I'm not asking for an example, I'm just saying that if something similar could exist, could get ore-installed on machines, Linux would get more market share.

>Ubuntu is being pre-installed
I know that, but it's still not really what I'm looking for here.
>>
>>47156876
even if one bitches about PS unique syntax (object pipeplines etc), Basic has been available for cmdline scripting on windows for at least 20 years (.vbs and WSH)
>>
File: OC stallman ends now.png (66 KB, 214x214) Image search: [Google]
OC stallman ends now.png
66 KB, 214x214
>Linux
>>
>>47156893
B-but that's not how images work. Are you trying to fool me again?
>>
>>47156930
Then just fucking install kubuntu or opensuse or something.
>>
>>47156930
>Ubuntu's rather meh though. And it's not what I want.

You literally just said you wanted something for Normies as an intro distro.
If you don't like it, congratulations, you aren't a normie. But that means you have the responsibility to find what's best for you, not complain that conanical doesn't shape their OS to your specific standards
>>
>>47156949
The task would be trivial using the chroma key methods in imagemagick.
>>
>>47156953
>not complain that conanical doesn't shape their OS to your specific standards
Isn't that like one of RMS' freedoms or some shit tho?
>>
>>47156204
usr/root/niggers/new: No such file or directory
>>
File: automatoricon.png (64 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
automatoricon.png
64 KB, 250x250
>>47156732
>>47156893

Welcome to 21st century

>Automator is an application developed by Apple Inc. for OS X that implements point-and-click (or drag and drop) creation of workflows for automating repetitive tasks into batches for quicker alteration, thus saving time and effort over human intervention to manually change each file separately. Automator enables the repetition of tasks across a wide variety of programs, including Finder, Safari, Calendar, Contacts and others. It can also work with third-party applications such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop or Pixelmator.

>Automator provides a graphical user interface for automating tasks without knowledge of programming or scripting languages. Tasks can be recorded as they are performed by the user or can be selected from a list. The output of the previous action can become the input to the next action.
>>
Are live cd's the standard way to install linux nowadays? I downloaded Linux Mint and I booted it up. I'm in its "live cd"-type environment right now as I'm typing and installing Linux Mint.
>>
>>47156985
~/niggers/new/music/
>>
But honestly I want Linux to become popular.But not at the price of it becoming "Windows,only with a different name".

I would just improve the specs and add many scifi like features to Linux in a brute force way until everyone is just forced to accept Linux is better.
>>
>>47157009
Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>47157009
They're frequent, but most distros I assume still use a flat install option.

Just to be sure, win32diskimager or dd is useful for making USB boots, because lol >optical media
>>
>>47156984
In layman's terms, RMS says that the user should be able to, and be legally allowed to modify the software HIMSELF. There's no burden on the original creator to do anything except allow you these rights.

If you want to change up Ubuntu, you can go right ahead, but you'd likely be better off just switching distros, as somebody else has probably already done all the hard lifting.
>>
>>47157007
>requires 3rd party software
....or you could do it in one command. Anything to avoid cli, right?
>>
>>47157020
Why do you want linux to become popular?
>>
>>47157058
>third party
nigga can u read
>>
>>47157058
>developed by Apple Inc
>third party
>>
>>47157009
I would say 50% of distros do things like that.
>>47156930
You asked and we replied.It's not my problem you don't like Ubuntu,but that is basically what Ubuntu is.You don't like it?Change it.Or make your own distro,I hear LFS books are pretty cheap.If you are persistent enough maybe you will succeed and it becomes the most popular distro ever.

On the other hand Mint is a strong normie distro as well.And Opensuse comes preinstalled on quite a lot of laptops.Usually if its not Ubuntu its Opensuse.
>>
File: screenshot1.png (49 KB, 555x516) Image search: [Google]
screenshot1.png
49 KB, 555x516
>>47157058
absolutely right and rightfully so
>>
>>47156823
If the point was “browsing the web without a mouse is somehow cumbersome”, the counterpoint I was trying to make is that “actually, that's bullshit - you just haven't actually tried”
>>
>>47157086
>>47157088
That's beside the point.
>>
>>47157020

I feel my dad would be better off using Linux, but my dad doesn't have one ounce of patience when it comes to computers. I tried it once and he didn't even want to look at it. He just told me to change it back to Windows even though all he does on the computer is stream music from a local radio website and browse facebook.

Even if Linux gets equivalent or better, people don't want to have to relearn their computer, even if it really is so easy that you could relearn it in less than a day.

>>47157034

I used Rufus to extract the iso image contents onto a MicroSD and booted that. Yeah, I don't want to deal with optical media anymore.
>>
>>47157128
>tabtabtabtabtabtabtabtab
>missed it
>tabtabtabtabtabtabtab
>>
>>47156661
Nope, missing non-fart-huffing CAD software, and we have the FSF to blame.
>>
>>47156241
On Windows it's C:\Users\user\Pictures. And you can have /Pictures on Linux just fine, though it would be retarded and disorganized.
>>
File: gentoo.jpg (39 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.jpg
39 KB, 500x281
>>47157071
More base system developers,better application support...More third party small applications.

Linux is great IMHO but it would improve exponentially to orgasmic levels if it was more popular IMHO.
>>
>>47156066

too fragmented
UI's are hideous
UX sucks
no good software
no gaymes
relies too much on CLI

that was easy
>>
>>47157158
>too fragmented
If linix is fragmented then what the fuck is windows?
>>
File: hints.png (100 KB, 1198x1918) Image search: [Google]
hints.png
100 KB, 1198x1918
>>47157143
As I suspected, you've never actually tried. (Also, I don't know where you got the “tab tab tab” idea from. Even without any browser addons whatsoever, there's literally no need to do that)

But here, I'll feed the troll and show you a picture of hints mode so you get a glimpse of just how uninformed you are.
>>
>>47156700
Acrobat is not a PDF _reader_. It's an editor. While I can use Inkscape to edit PDFs quite nicely, that's unreasonable for a non - design or vector gfx familiar user. Acrobat is the best PDF editor for most people (I mean hello... It's adobe).

I'd be more than happy to hear of PDF editor suggestions that are as good or better than Acrobat... But I haven't found one yet unfortunately.

I personally hate Acrobat and think it's a bloated, insecure piece of shit. I had to bypass EMET confinements on Acrobat because it practically behaves like a malicious program. Ridiculous.
>>
>>47157144
Does scientific Linux help this at all? Simply asking because I have no idea honestly. Never done CAD so I forgot about that.
>>
>>47157176
Damn...this looks sexy,I think I will try it.
gj anon

(NO sarcasm was meant)
>>
>>47157181
What do you need it for?
If its just text,then just use LibreOffice.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-03-23_15-15-28.png (30 KB, 942x474) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-03-23_15-15-28.png
30 KB, 942x474
>>47157148
You really believe any normie would be able to find the correct file path to Pictures from this shit under let's say 5 minutes of desperation?
>>
File: IMG_20150318_075028.jpg (83 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150318_075028.jpg
83 KB, 768x1024
>>47157176
When I think of keyboard browsing, I think of lynx, and in my experience it involved a lot of tab and up down arrows. Also a lack of most page elements....
You're right though, you're definitely getting a much better browsing experience without a mouse. Why did people even invent it when you can have that?
>>
>>47157176
Oh and forgot to ask,which program do you use for this?
>>
>>47157214
Finding the root folder is a challenge on itself for normies. There is a home folder with every fucking distro right on the desktop somewhere.
>>
>>47157214
Most file explorers start in the home folder.
>>
>>47157214
Normies could not do it in Windows either.
>>
>>47157176
I can't (and don't want to) even imagine how to use something like this
>>
>>47156066
I'd say the first issue can be a problem. I use XFCE4 and I've never had a problem.
The second can be a problem depending on how well the distro is managed. I use Xubuntu, and I've never had a problem with it.
Support for "critical" commercial apps and file formats can suck, but again, this has never, ever caused me any problem.

Between google docs, wine, and mono, linux has my back for pretty much everything
>>
>>47157227
pentadactyl, which is an addon to Firefox

>>47157250
no worries, I'll explain it and rescue your imagination:

>you press the ‘f’ key
>you type the two letters (eg ‘df’ in that picture)

congratulations sir, you have now clicked on the “Post” button
>>
>>47157181
Why don't you just write your documents in another program, and print to pdf? I'm pretty sure part of the reason PDF exists is that it's hard to edit.
>>
>>47156097
I think OP is referring to GNU+Linux in this situation
>>
>>47157156
Fair enough.

>not at the price of becoming windows with a different name
There will always be fringe distros like gentoo or slackware that give us a place to gather. No worries!
>>
>>47156346
Pretty much every BSD and GNU/Linux OS ever has a package manager, and they're all pretty much the same.

If you don't like using the CL, you can almost always find a gui interface
>>
File: davwin981.gif (18 KB, 524x402) Image search: [Google]
davwin981.gif
18 KB, 524x402
>>47157234
Not sure if serious, this is what you see if you click your drive on the desktop,
This is what normie, thinking of the "My Computer" icon/window would do first.
>>
>>47156547
Nigger, my mom can use Ubuntu
>>
>>47156765
Just pick a DE and stick with it
>>
>>47157269
>Controlling software by pressing thousand of different key combinations witch you have to learn by heart for every single application

hahahahaha, literally worse than MS Flight Simulator 1995 :3

Now please explain why anyone would do this.
>>
>>47157349
>literally worse than MS Flight Simulator 1995
how dare you
>>
>>47157238
>>47157244

Again, most people start the file manager by clicking on the My computer icon or in osx, the Macintosh HD icon.
>>
>>47157214
What font is this? I like it
>>
>>47157214
Sorry, what desktop/font/distro/whatever is this? It looks purdy
>>
>>47157430
Gentoo
>>
>>47156204
>file manager and thumbnails not showing
>file manager
>>
>>47157169
Also fragmented.
>>
>>47157442
Thanks
I've never actually bothered trying it out
>>
>>47157214
No. Directory structure is something that needs to be explained no matter what OS you're using. After a point, any directory structure will become complex and convoluted. Pictures is a stupid example to argue about since it's already simple. You guys should start arguing about program components (like browser add-ons).

Most tools will plant a user in their home directory from the get-go anyway.
>>
>>47157416
Dosis medium I think
>>
>>47157528
sweet, thanks
>>
>>47157475
I was kidding baud
>>
>>47157430
It's Xubuntu not Gentoo. Xfwm theme is Iris light mod, gtk theme is Yosemite, file manager is Marlin
>>
>>47157055
here's RMS' deal: he makes a living by hacking low-level system software. One day he can't fulfill a promise he makes to a customer because Xerox does not disclose/share its driver source code, he loses the gig, figures he can't adapt to some other line of work in sw business because he's a pathological neckbeard with no career, turns the experience into a trauma, and... that's it. This guy literally knows NOTHING about user-mode, about management information systems, about needs and requirements of typical office worker. How will being able to hack Excel source code make an office worker better at his work? How will being able to hack management software make a manager better at project management? utter bullshit.
>>
>>47157523

>Directory structure is something that needs to be explained

It's pretty much self explanatory in Windows and OSX, while in linux it's confusing as fuck.

>Most tools will plant a user in their home directory from the get-go anyway.

Yeah, but Linux sends you directly to the root directory instead.
>>
>>47157590
>while in linux it's confusing as fuck.
Maybe if you're retarded.

>Linux sends you directly to the root directory instead.
No, it sends you to the home directory.
>>
>>47157635.
>Maybe if you're retarded.
No, if you aren't over average computer affine, which has exactly nothing to do with being retarded.

> it sends you to the home directory

No, it doesn't, clicking the HD icon on the desktop sends you to the root directory.
>>
>>47157590
>It's pretty much self explanatory in Windows and OSX, while in linux it's confusing as fuck.
I've not used OSX, so I've got no clue, but hidden directories in Windows are not user friendly. appData's probably the most evident problem, as well as the difference between Program Files and Program Files (x86) (but maybe that's just a windows 7 problem). Try explaining either in a normie-friendly way and see how long it takes.

>Linux sends you directly to the root directory instead.
>No, it sends you to the home directory.
>No, it doesn't, clicking the HD icon on the desktop sends you to the root directory.
That depends entirely on the program and where it's told to send you. When I typed:
>Most tools will plant a user in their home directory from the get-go
I was referring to linux. I've seen programs create their own Desktop or Downloads directories within the home directory, but I've never been sent to the root directory. What DE and distro are you using where it does this?
>>
>>47157560
1)He can always attempt to backward engineer the Xerox device.
2)I don't think you understand the need for the GNU licence.Being able to hack management software is not a need of itself.But one could do it himself or hire some IT people to take the piece of management software or Excel and tell them "I want excel to be able to (for instance) make me a sandwich.Currently it does not do that.".Then you buy the necessary sandwich making hardware,or make the device yourself,write drivers if there are none,modify Excel source code to do that and boom.
>>
>>47157590
99% of Linux distro's will send you to your home folder not to the root folder.
If it does send you to root and you are a normie it means you are logged in as root,and you should not do that.
>>
>>47157681
Clicking the my computer icon will also not bring you directly to your home folder on Windows.
It's your fault for clking the hdd icon instead of the file manager icon.
>>
>>47157778
>I've seen programs create their own Desktop or Downloads directories within the home directory

That's another sickness of Linux but it wasn't even the topic to begin with and my distro doesn't have anything to do with it.
>>
>>47157839
>:~$ echo $UID
>1000
You are wrong, and like said above I'm on Xubuntu

>>47157861
No, it's not my fault, it's Linux fault. It can be seen it's (still) made by amateurs.
>>
>>47157778
Not the queef you're talking to, but what IS the difference between program files, and program files (x86). Linux user born and raised here, rarely use Windows.
>>
>>47157981
It's probably Windows7 and arm-cpu related, because last time I used Windows (XP) I didn't see anything like that
>>
File: finder.png (71 KB, 711x503) Image search: [Google]
finder.png
71 KB, 711x503
>>47157861
Just for orientation, pic related is how it werks in the real world. Now compare it to >>47157214 and >>47157315 and about how long Joe Smith normie guy from next door will need to find the Picture folder on either of them.

This is one of the reasons why Year of the Linux desktop is 404
>>
>>47157981
64-bit programs are meant to go into Program Files, and 32-bit programs into Program Files (x86). They split it so that 32 bit software doesn't try to load incompatible software libraries.
>>
>>47158102
Thought it would have something to do with that. Thanks.
>>
>>47156066
main problems preventing Linux from being popular desktop OS are:
-rampant freetards
>lol no you can't install this binary drivers, cause they're not free enough
-new kernel released every two weeks (which may or may not break compatibility)
-most drivers are basically hacks
-no driver API
-fragmentation
-incompatible packaging systems
-virtually nonexistent documentation
-general lack of vision
>>
>>47158047
Now what are you talking about?The file system structure,or how easy it is to go to your home folder?
>>47157954
Yes it's your fault,because if you click on the hdd icon instead of the file explorer icon it's your fault.

And you obviously don't know the most basic rule of using a computer that every computer user should know:
The computer never does what you want it to do,it only does what you order it to do.
>>
Linux isn't popular because not everyone is a technology enthusiast.

If you aren't one, you don't belong on /g/ anyway.
>>
Isn't installing Linux to a removeable storage supposed to be the cool thing to do? Being able to walk up to any computer and boot up my own personally configured Linux without disturbing the way your machine is setup.

I installed Linux Mint on an 8GB MicroSD, because that's the biggest usb storage-thing I had and Linux Mint complained that my 4GB flash drive wasn't enough.

It's slow as fuck on the 8GB MicroSD. I timed it at around 6minutes 30seconds from the GRUB boot loaderjust to get to the desktop and I didn't even wait for it to fully launch Firefox because I was completely fed up after 10 seconds.

TL;DR: DO NOT INSTALL LINUX ONTO A MICROSD, IT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE
>>
>>47159069
me

I'm over my initial frustration. If I did use an 8GB flash drive instead, would that be any better than the MicroSD approach?
>>
>>47156066
Linux isnt a popular OS because
1) it doesnt suck &
2) it isnt inherently vulnerable to NSA spy programs.
Next question.
>>
>>47159120
You could try using Linux instead of Mint
Maybe then u wont look like such a faggot to the entire world
>unlikely but hey
>>
>>47158251
>-rampant freetards
Freetards and "regular people" mostly hang out on different parts of the internet and when going on the parts of the internet that "normal people" hang out on they usually know how to restrain themselves
>lol no you can't install this binary drivers, cause they're not free enough
Once again, the people who would be put off by this don't hang out where people actually have this stance
>-new kernel released every two weeks (which may or may not break compatibility)
Which is why just about all distros (except maybe Arch, which is a tinkerer distro not intended for the average user) stay a number of versions behind so that problems are fixed when they move onto a new version
>-most drivers are basically hacks
Lots of reverse-engineered printer and scanner drivers maybe, but Intel has always had good drivers on Linux, Nvidia drivers are almost on par with the Windows ones and AMD ones have taken some significantly steps forward.
>-no driver API
Well how the hell are they then writing drivers for Linux? Of course there is an API and it's well documented if you know where to look
>-fragmentation
Not really unless you want to aim at literally every distro out there, pretty easy to target the vast majority of users
>-incompatible packaging systems
Once again not difficult to do a solution that aims at most users
>-virtually nonexistent documentation
Nice try at pulling stuff out of your ass, but no dice. Documentation exists if you know where to look.
>-general lack of vision
I'd rather see Linux improving on what it already does rather than suddenly trying to cater to tablets at the detriment of desktop users like Windows 8 did.

ITT: Wanblows people terrified that Linux actually gains ground on the desktop and people realize that they're not with computers, they're just good with Windows, nothing more.
>>
>>47156204
this is a meme right?
>>
>>47156066
So, are you the same guys as this one?
https://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/2zyp9o/cmv_i_believe_the_linux_communitys_overreliance/cpnkkej
>>
File: wat-frog.png (193 KB, 371x380) Image search: [Google]
wat-frog.png
193 KB, 371x380
>>47159284
10/10

>Guys my GUI
>reaction.img
>>
>>47156386
>not having tar aliased to tar-extract and tar-compress
>>
>>47156346
Fedora uses yum, the command is yum install. How is that harder that pkg install?

>inb4 fedora meme, it just werks.
>>
>>47156661
>muh office
LibreOffice for casual documents, anything else should be done in LaTeX.
>>
>>47156066
Support for file formats is pretty good, but you're right about the lack of support for commercial programs.

College students or people who use laptops for movies, etc. would be better served by Linux.

I'm fucking tired of my Ubuntu install breaking every 2 months when I install an update. Is Fedora any better?
>>
Windows is a dead OS because
>Microsoft has to pay shills to come on to /g/ to circlejerk in threads like this

True.

/thread
>>
>>47156549
/tech/ is how /g/ used to be.
>>
>>47159069
>>47159120
>>47159185
USB3 drive would solve these problems
but nothing has USB3
>>
>>47159467
hahaha ok
>>
>>47159530
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>47159467
"The choice of an efficient document preparation system is an important decision for any academic researcher. To assist the research community, we report a software usability study in which 40 researchers across different disciplines prepared scholarly texts with either Microsoft Word or LaTeX. The probe texts included simple continuous text, text with tables and subheadings, and complex text with several mathematical equations. We show that LaTeX users were slower than Word users, wrote less text in the same amount of time, and produced more typesetting, orthographical, grammatical, and formatting errors. On most measures, expert LaTeX users performed even worse than novice Word users. LaTeX users, however, more often report enjoying using their respective software. We conclude that even experienced LaTeX users may suffer a loss in productivity when LaTeX is used, relative to other document preparation systems. Individuals, institutions, and journals should carefully consider the ramifications of this finding when choosing document preparation strategies, or requiring them of authors."

lmao

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0115069
>>
>>47159581
>sample size: 40
lmao indeed
>>
>>47159581
>amount of written text equals productivity
>literally favoring inflation and quantity over quality
I guess the people who conducted the research were American?
>>
>>47159581

There are some WYSIWYG LaTeX editors, though. Those are decent.
>>
>>47159675
>>47159699

type it up in word and let the typesetters at nature sort it out for you

but wait

/g/ will never ever get a paper published in nature

regards,
/sci/
>>
>>47159753
Did you? Care to post a link?
>>
>>47159753
neither will you faggot

go back to your containment board
>>
>>47156097
Viruses>>47156097
>>47156158
>>47156204
>>47156318
>>47156346
>>47156369
>>47156386
>>47156390
>>47156499
>>47156765
>>47156823
>>47156902
>>47156930
>>47157020
>>47157139
>>47157156
>>47157181
>>47157218
>>47159069
>>47159120
>>47156066

/g/ wtf.

LISTEN UP FAGGOTS.
WE DONT USE LINUX TO DICK AROUND AND HAVE A GOOD TIME.
WE USE LINUX BECAUSE IT WORKS.
IT ALWAYS WORKS.
IF IT BREAKS - YOU BROKE IT BY BEING AN ASSHOLE.
IT WONT FUCK YOU.
IF YOU EVER LEARN HOW TO USE IT YOU WONT DICK AROUND ANYWAY.
ITS A PROFESSIONALS TOOL.

NOT A GAMING DEVICE.
NOT A CIRCLEJERK FILEDUMP (although it can be with proper scripting)
NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR DESKTOP OS BECAUSE YOU WATCHED TOO MANY NETSECURITY MPEGS AND THINK ISIS IS MORE LIKELY TO KILL U THAN A COP
NOT SO YOU CAN EASEOFUSE YOURSELF INTO OBLIVION

LINUX IS DIRECT INTERFACE WITH THE UNIX COMPUTER

IF YOU DONT LIKE IT
1) STFU
2) REINVENT UNIX
3) GTFO
>>
>>47159675
40 is laughable at best.You need *at least* 100,and even then its questionable.
>>
Fuckin pinkpistolgripidontlikehowitfeelsinmyhanditstooheavycaniaccessorize faggots you make me sick.
>>
>>47156499
>They are specified in XDG_CONFIG_DIR/user-dirs.dirs (~/.config you fucking autist).
bit recursive innit?
>>
File: stark.jpg (132 KB, 960x686) Image search: [Google]
stark.jpg
132 KB, 960x686
if you ever talked about technology to normals you would know that:

1-most of them don't even know what an OS is
2-they don't know that you can change the OS
3-they don't even know Linux exist
4-the idea of somewhat modifying your computer scares the shit out of them
>>
>>47159524
The textboard or the coolkidshangout board? Because both are bad in the same ways, and only a few degrees less shitty than /g/ currently.
>>
>>47159827
literally how mad
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjCJXHJhPg
free as in free time
>>
>>47159827
This guy is right even though he is mad
I use Loonix because it just werks and plays nice with what I want to do with my computer
>>
>>47159581
All I can say is that a lot of people who are new to latex is using really bad editors.
If you have a decent latex editor (with spell check, multiline edit and autocompletion) then it would be different.

Sure something like making a table takes more time in latex but editing an existing table is much easier and it is easy to make programs produce the tables for you so you can just include the output of your test.

That test was about who is most efficient at writing down what they see in another document and trying to replicate that.

This is not how latex is used.
Latex is used where the content matter and you either to formatting or you write content.

Typing words into a text editor should not be different from typing in words in a word processing editor. (But in my own case I prefer a good text editor as it brings more features than say word)
>>
>>47159920
Currently?
I have more important things to be mad about.

I was mad for this minute though >>47159868

Its like watching lumberjacks en masse deforesting the forest.
Politics is even worse.
>>
>>47156066

I don't know how many times my system updated and broke. it might have been operator error, but it still happened a lot.

>True or false?
somewhat true. if those were there it would help ease others into using Linux as their main OS. but there's way more than that at play. first of all it's geeky to begin with. the list of distros is one. most casuals don't care. they just want ubuntu or mint. something simple. but all these other distros for every flavor of the week confuses casuals. there's a lot more reasons but I don't feel like getting in to it. long story short, linux will probably never have it's year of the desktop. but that's okay.
>>
File: 12645412349684361.jpg (26 KB, 498x321) Image search: [Google]
12645412349684361.jpg
26 KB, 498x321
>>47159895
have to talk with normalfags about technology ...
mfw then
>>
>>every distros updates either break periodically or are way behind
Unless you have a meme distro like Arch or Gentoo this isn't the case. And Debian Testing is stable as fuck and still has up-to-date programs.

>>the support for critical commercial apps & file formats marginal at best
I've never ran into a file format that cannot be supported in GANOO/Leenucks.

I'll admit that Commercial "apps" support is lacking. But this is gradually changing, and chances are there's a Free (as in Freedom) "app" that meets or exceeds the capabilities of the Proprietary counterpart. I like to think of it as my OS shielding me from being cucked by Micro$oft, Adobe, and friends.
>>
>>47159827
>IF IT BREAKS - YOU BROKE IT BY BEING AN ASSHOLE.
Not true for some distros. They break because they don't support your hardware. In that case, switch distros and it just werks like you said

>NOT A GAMING DEVICE.
Half of my games in Steam are supported. SteamOS is becoming a real thing. It's becoming a gaming device for certain users.

>NOT SO YOU CAN EASEOFUSE YOURSELF INTO OBLIVION
Ubuntu or Mint :^)
>>
>>47160155
>Gentoo meme distro
>Gentoo breaks with an update

seriously ?
don't use a rolling release if you didn't RTFM and the documentations for upgrading.
>>
>>47160209
Ur a complete faggot.
Congratulations.

>not running alienware to game
>im so edge, i game on linux

Why dont you just put a leash on your horse and feed it dog biskits you fuking normie.
>>
>>47156241
>C:\Pictures\
No. It'd be more like:
C:\Users\Person\Pictures\

While the example anon gave was:
$HOME/Pictures
>>
>>47160282
Welcome to /g/, the board of normies and consumers. If you don't like it, go back to your Doritos and pony infested /r9k/ autismo faggot. :3
>>
>>47160319
You're the infestation.

See>>47159827

Can a nigga get a moderator.
>>
linux/gnu is depricated
>>
>>47160302
Windows also uses environment variables. I'm not sure of the user directory one, but I know there is one by default.

>/home/person/pictures
is as easy as
>C:\users\person\pictures
In fact they're structurally identical.
>>
>>47156876
Yeah sure you can do some shit like renaming files with it, but how many Windows programs actually support command line arguments? Not many.
>>
>>47156765
That's right, you normalfags need someone to FORCE you to use some shit they think is good for you (Windows/OSX). Linux users can actually decide for themselves and use whatever shitty standard they want.
>>
>>47160563
>actually installing boon2
>anything prepackaged
>if it doesnt have a gui i dont want it
>and i want to play skyrim on it too
Nigga u fucked up.
>>
>>47159069
No, flash storage isn't much better in terms of speed. Absolute molasses.
I'd recommend getting a small capacity usb SSD.
>>
>>47160563
Normalfags also use Linux, and sometimes like the prepackaged shit that comes with some distros. What a shock! :o
>>
>>47160372
>constantly updated daily
Yeah, just like how google conveniently thinks Safari is depricated.
>>
>>47160648
What he was suggesting was some sort of in-built set of gui applications and other useless shit that would be bundled (apparently) inside the Linux kernel, and thus with every distro. Choosing a disto is still a choice, which might be too daunting for the stupid fucks like the one I quoted earlier.
>>
>>47156066
Desktops are dying anyway. Just wait for obscure distros to die. Ubuntu is probably the only hope for Linux on the desktop.
>>
>>47160723
>desktops are dying anyway
oh shit, should i just work now with a cell phone ?
>>
>>47160723
>Implying there aren't tons of arm-based/mobile distros
>>
>>47156066
Linux is a popular smartphone OS. Linux is a popular tablet OS. Linux is a popular server OS.

With more and more people getting smartphones and tablets, and these devices becoming more powerful and with better software, desktops are becoming a little antiquated.

Nonetheless, both Chrome OS and Ubuntu have been moving into the desktop market.
>>
>>47160648
Why would a normir use Linux for normieshit?
Thats assblasting retaded. Linux is hamdsdown the Worst distro for normieshit.

Linux doesnt integrate with windows or apple.
Linux requires regular maintenance
Linux requires technical knowledge to update & debug
Linux doesnt offer "updates" like microsoft does
Everything is different & normies are going to break the fucking internet trying to force it to be the same
Additionally you cant simply take your computer to a mechanic like you do with a car. Not if you use it personally.

Ffs ur either a masochist, an idiot, or wasting your life if you install Linux to run Windows software & bitch that it doesnt offer all the entertainment value of a Mac.

Windows for office.
Apple for entertainment.
Linux for unix.

Buy more than one machine.
>>
>>47156066
BECAUSE XORG IS A 30 YEAR OLD PILE OF CRAP
>>
>>47161249
>Linux is hamdsdown the Worst distro for normieshit
Does Linux have a browser for Facebook ,Jewtube, and email?
Does Linux have an image viewer?
Does Linux have a video player?

If you answered yes to all three of these questions, then congratulations! Linux is a decent OS for normalfags like. It's all they need a computer for.

>Linux doesnt integrate with windows or apple.
Windows doesn't integrate with Apple. That doesn't detract either one from normalfags
>Linux requires regular maintenance
>Linux requires technical knowledge to update & debug
No it really doesn't. Ubuntu and Mint are "it just werks" distros that need 0 maintenance and debugging.
>Linux doesnt offer "updates" like microsoft does
Normalfags don't care about updates.
>Everything is different & normies are going to break the fucking internet trying to force it to be the same
They won't force it to be the same. That'd be customizing the appearance, which is the opposite of what normalfags do. If they have a start menu (Mint) and icons, they'll love it.

>Windows for office.
>Apple for entertainment.
>Linux for unix.
Linux is for freedom of choice. Whatever you want to use it for. Windows is for gamers, Apple is for hipsters.

Trust me, I'm a normalfag. :^)
>>
>>47157821
MS solved that issue 25 years ago by inventing component-based software, aka COM. Everything MS produces is COM-based and prone to automation via well-documented interfaces with versioning. Oh, guess what? you don't have to stare at thousands of lines of undocumented code to make use of it.
>>
>>47159827
You just made linux sound fucking awful, which I guess it is other than in a server environment.
>>
>>47161457
It's good if you're doing serious work.
>>
>>47161359
> can a motorcycle tow a trailer
> can you camp in a compact
> can you commute in a mclaren
You're a fucking idiot. /thread

Mods need to bam this shit.
I still havemt gotten an answer to info bash.
>>
>>47158047
i imagine you're about stupid enough to buy a car in parts and when you realize it doesn't just run out of the box you go "fuck cars, useless concept"
install ubuntu or something that's not obscure and it'll take you right to your home folder like your homosex does in that picture
>>
>>47158251
>fragmentation
this isn't even a problem, most distro agnostic applications simply ship the odd dependencies you need just like everything on windows despite of every system being the same
kind of funny how this is an non-existent problem on windows but it's still being treated as if it is one
os x software does the same thing
at least most linux/bsd/etc distros have a large amount of packages that do use shared libraries
>>
>>47156066
False.

Wouldn't say it not popular just because of a perceived percentage.
There's still literally millions of full-time Linux desktops out there, then there's the part-timers and the VM dabblers and its growing, Linux works smarter and has better hardware support ootb than Windows now while being free of any restrictions or license tiers.

Why else do you think Microsoft is so fucking desperate now? Trying to remain relevant by giving away their latest insecure, featureless shitheap operating system and proposing to force hardware vendors to make it ever harder to install other OSs on consumer PCs, something they said they wouldn't do previously.
>>
>>47161597
Anon i think i love u
>>
>>47156431
faggot, just change the fucking variables
if you think someone should develop a new standard just to change the default values i've got some bad news for you: you're utterly fucking retarded

i use xdg-user-dirs and i have no capital letters or names longer than 4 characters
>>
>>47161249
>Linux for unix.
doesn't know what GNU stands for
>>
>>47161313
>BECAUSE XORG IS A 30 YEAR OLD PILE OF CRAP
Xorg is 10 years old and pretty high quality for having to implement shitty X11
>>
>>47161775
faggot, actually try that
non-default paths will fail in strange ways:
http://knocte.blogspot.de/2015/03/how-do-you-upgrade-your-distro-tale-of.html
>>
>>47161545
>I'm going to use completely arbitrary examples to prove my non-existant point

I wish autismo's like you were banned.
>>
File: ya.jpg (52 KB, 709x549) Image search: [Google]
ya.jpg
52 KB, 709x549
tfw can't install the kernel update because it breaks shared folders

>linux feels
>>
>>47161737
>proposing to force hardware vendors to make it ever harder to install other OSs on consumer PCs

is this going to be another IE apocalypse ?
>>
>>47161737
>Linux desktop
>smart
>Microsoft
>insecure
Only one of them does actual GUI application isolation.
>>
>>47161737
>proposing to force hardware vendors to make it ever harder to install other OSs on consumer PCs
The most popular Linux desktop aka ChromeOS already does that
>>
>>47160487
Most users won't use arguements along with gui programs, since gui programs are made to be modified through the gui. And there are command line programs made for windows, and also command line programs packaged alongside their gui counterparts, and they're made specifically for windows.

It's just the majority of windows users have a gui program for everything they want to do already.
>>
False
>>
>>47161661
>this isn't even a problem, most distro agnostic applications simply ship the odd dependencies you need just like everything on windows
Except that doesn't really work.
Linux is really shitty for static building as many sophisticated libraries on Linux uses dynamic modules or require components that are configured as part of the system.
Consider D-Bus, if you statically link, but the system changes the format or location of D-Bus configuration files, all of a sudden your app no longer works.
>>
>>47156232
Your filemanager would literally never look like this if you're using a normie distro
>>
>>47156066
This is only true because there are just so many of them. You can't say this about OSX or Windows because they don't HAVE any UI projects, you get what comes in the box and nothing else. Plenty of programs on Windows roll their own GUI setup too (Steam is a pretty glaring example).

Rarely happens in my experience unless you use Arch and live on the fringe of experimental versions or fuck it up yourself. The blame is still with the individual programs anyway. When some third-party program or library breaks in Windows you don't blame Microsoft.

>the support for critical commercial apps & file formats marginal at best
Depends what you do but it's not quite this bad anymore. I feel like most of this now is in-house or legacy stuff no one wants to deal with porting.
>>
>>47162419
>Rarely happens in my experience unless you use Arch and live on the fringe of experimental versions or fuck it up yourself. The blame is still with the individual programs anyway. When some third-party program or library breaks in Windows you don't blame Microsoft.
Calling bullshit.
Besides Red Hat no Linux distro even tries to guarantee you a stable ABI. (there's also Ubuntu SDK but that's only for their Touch apps)
You do know that those crucial libraries on Windows are actually from MS and they do fucking guarantee no breakage. Meanwhile critical Linux userspace libraries don't even try to avoid breakage.
>>
There's only two problems I have with Linux.
1. No silverlight so no netflix, but that's not Linux's fault, that's Microsoft's for not releasing something so Linux can use Silverlight

2. muh games. Of course, this problem is going to vanish soon, since more and more games are coming out for Linux in addition to Windows
>>
>>47161313
I bet you're just repeating what you've heard online and have no idea or actual basis for understanding why this might be true.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.