[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make chromium be less botnet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
How do I make chromium be less botnet?
>>
Audit the freely-available source code and take out the features you don't like.
>>
>>47106618
Even for an experienced programmer, auditing a program as massive as Chromium for all possible privacy violations would take months.
>>
Chromium isn't a "botnet"
You can even de "botnet" chrome if you want just disable a couple of things that class it as a "botnet"

Now stop referring to botnet in that sense that's not what it means.
>>
>>47106615

By making damn certain that you're using Chromium and not Chrome.
>>
>>47106674
I thought you liked freedom.
>>
>uninstall chromium
>download and install pale moon
Problem solved.
>>
>>47106957

welcome to the placebo
>>
File: filename.jpg (8 KB, 209x187) Image search: [Google]
filename.jpg
8 KB, 209x187
>>47106806
You are new. This is what it means on /g/.

>>47106987
>placebo
You faggots love using that word every time Pale Moon is mentioned. It really isn't placebo at all.
>>
>>47107008
All it is is an old version of Firefox. Most distros already have regular Firefox installed and those who don't don't take much effort to get it. Why would you compile Pale Moon when you can just install Firefox?
>>
>>47107143
Something about pale moon's cpu usage being about 30% of what the latest version of firefox chews up under heavily multitabbed browsing. Yes, I checked.

Also, at this point pale moon has diverged from old version firefox.
>>
>>47107198
Does that really matter for anything better than an old Athlon? Even on that machine I would skip the middle man and install Dillo browser.
>>
>>47107275
>not caring about significant efficiency gains
>not caring about features
You're really apathetic, aren't you?
>>
>>47107330
Dillo > Pale Moon
>>
>>47107335
>requires a plugin for https
>shit css support
>gtk based
Yeah, nah, you're a cunt and dillo can't compare on features. It's for ancient level hardware.
>>
>>47107373
Non-ancient hardware can just run Firefox, or even Chromium.
>>
>>47107385
And we've been over this. The latest versions of firefox chew through far more cpu than pale moon.
>>
If g/ classifies anything under botnet then I wonder why it doesn't stay away from anything google out of principle, i.e. Chromium and Android

>b..but I use a fork

Such brave
>>
>>47107402
And we come back to the word 'placebo'.
>>
>>47107405
Android is open source, same with Chromium.
>>
>>47107411
Why do you insist on using a word you don't know the meaning of?
>>
>>47107411
>uses 30% of the cpu that shittier browsers use
>placebo
Get a dictionary.

I don't use chromium or qupzilla because bugs. I don't use firefox because it's a cpu hog. I don't use opera because it's closed source. I don't use dillo because its featureset is shit. Got any other suggestions?
>>
>>47107452
You forgot to mention all the privacy/security tweaks in Pale Moon.
>>
>>47107452
GNU IceCat? At least it's in your distro's repos and you don't have to compile it.
>>
>>47107546
I'm in the middle of constructing my own linux distro from scratch because all the current offerings are shit. I am so far beyond caring about having to compile stuff.
>>
>>47107626
I do, however, like the sound of some of the privacy features. I'll probably check it out.
>>
Using Pale Moon on a netbook, and I confirm Firefox was a cpu sucking bitch when I was using it.
Pale Moon is just perfect.
Screw the RAM sucking bitch Chromium.
>>
>>47106674

ctrl + F: google.com
remove instances
???
profit
>>
>>47106615
You install Firefox. /thread
>>
I love how you fucking autists spend hours configuring your browser and addons for privacy when half of you probably own a smartphone anyway, and you're fucked already by going online.
>>
>How do I make chromium be less botnet?

Uninstall it and use Firefox instead.

>>47108726

I can vouch for Pale Moon as well. it pushes maybe 200 MB of memory with several tabs open, compared to Firefox using 500+ MB right at launch. PM strips out a lot of features, though. It doesn't use the Australis interface, and looks more like Firefox 3 or 4. (Which I guess is good, depending on your perspective)
>>
>>47108757
This. Get real folks. No one cares about your shitty lives.
>>
install firefox
>>
File: gbn.png (127 KB, 1045x580) Image search: [Google]
gbn.png
127 KB, 1045x580
>>47106806
>>
>install chromium
>can't use any streaming services or vidya shit like battlelog
Why?
>>
>>47108757

I don't even own a smart phone.
>>
>>47109459
#justbotnetthings
>>
>>47107143
Technically, it's an optimized Firefox LTS build without the Australis bullshit. The performance benefits are nice, but I mainly use it just because I hate Australis.

I used to like Firefox, but the Mozilla Foundation have their heads right up their collective arses. They need to quit changing shit for no good reason. Hell, I even hated the changes they made when they went from version 3.x to version 4, and beforehand from 2.x to version 3.
>>
>>47109458

I enjoy these features.
>>
>>47106615
Install Firefox.
>>
>>47109630
>Everything needs to be the same
>Always
>Change is bad
>I'm autistic
we know
>>
>>47108795
>looks more like Firefox 3 or 4
>not using themes and/or CSS
>>
>>47109885
>all change is good
>>
>no uBlock for Pale Moon
>>
>>47109458
>>47109659
You can enjoy having a cock in your ass but it's still a cock in your ass.
That's all we're saying. You can do it, feel free to take that cock.
We are merely pointing it out.
>>
>>47106917

This, Chromium is not botnet, Chrome is.
>>
>>47112055
unity-lens-shopping is an open-source botnet, have you proven Chromium isn't?
>>
test
ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ
>>
>>47110374
well, there is, you just don't get the toolbar/popup icon
>>
So I noticed that icecat is kept in lockstep with firefox, and will therefore be a cpu sucking bitch. So much for that then.
>>
File: Johnny.jpg (14 KB, 232x346) Image search: [Google]
Johnny.jpg
14 KB, 232x346
>>47106806
>>
>>47108738
Yeah sure...
>>
>>47110374
lolwat
It works on Pale Moon.
>>
>>47106615
Program your own web browser from scratch.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.