[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why ist windows 10 free?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6
File: freewindows10.png (70 KB, 625x548) Image search: [Google]
freewindows10.png
70 KB, 625x548
why is it free?

especially for the pirated software

its not like they have much competition
>>
Microsoft want to encourage developers to make Windows apps, so they need as many users on the most recent version of Windows as possible.
>>
File: Cortana-720x340.jpg (34 KB, 720x340) Image search: [Google]
Cortana-720x340.jpg
34 KB, 720x340
>>47099052

Only for a year.

It's basically to compete with Linux distro's.

> Competition is good.
>>
It's called loss leading.

Microsoft can afford to take a small hit this way, the increased market share is much more important medium-long term.
>>
File: not_genuine.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
not_genuine.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>47099052
It's only free because they want pirates to upgrade and lose their "Genuine Windows" cracks.

That is to say, once you upgrade, pic related happens. They're hoping it will be annoying enough that pirates buy a legit copy on their Windows Store.

This shit was just on Slashdot.
>>
>>47099052
It's based on the WinRAR model. Free for personal users who recognize that its functional and works well for them at home. But when IT at work decides what software to buy they'll consider their employees recommendations to purchase a large amount of licenses. This means Microsoft has their foot in the door before any purchasing has happened.

The down side to this is that the revenue generated by the personal pirated licenses is lost but I guess legally chasing after a business instead of individuals is a lot cheaper from legal fees.
>>
>have to accept MS agreements
>every mouse click info sent back to MS
>MS see everything you do
>every website you visit
>every scat anime you watch
>every software you pirate

>later MS partner with...
>software developers
>movie studios
>music makers
>accept money from them

>shut down windows every time you click one of the "illegal" files
>call cops
>jail and ass rape

thank you MS for free upgrade
>>
>>47099219
>only for a year

You have a year to upgrade free, after you activate, it will be activated for ever. If you don't activate inside the free year, sucks to be you.

Reading comprehension.
>>
>>47099254
Uh... If you upgrade from a pirated 7 or 8/8.1 inside of a year, you get a FULL, LEGIT and LEGAL copy of Win10 -- it will count as genuine forever, with no cracks. I think they're doing this for a few reasons:

1. They don't want another XP. That is, a really old version of Windows they are forced to keep maintaining because a large portion of users refuse to upgrade.

2. They know they can't make you buy Win10 if you wouldn't buy 7 or 8 either. They might be able to get you to use Cortana and Bing though if they get you onto 10 instead of pirate 7/8.

3. It's possible that they can't reliably detect if your Win7 is pirated so instead they said fuck it and extended the free upgrade offer to pirates. Daz Loader is pretty much indistinguishable from a legit system activated with an OEM key, that the user has installed a boot manager they don't know about on.
>>
>>47099254
>This shit was just on Slashdot.
>Slashdot
le legit and not clickbait shit site.jif
>>
>>47099370
>I don't like what this site is saying so they must be full of shit
>Actually has links to an official statement from Microsoft themselves
So yeah... You'll get your update, but it'll just go "your install is not genuine" and not let you install any updates. Kind of like my genuine copy at work (that I only keep so that I can make Windows builds of the software I'm working on).

Here's a link to the article in question if you don't believe me:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/03/19/2229204/microsoft-says-free-windows-10-upgrades-for-pirates-will-be-unsupported
>>
>>47099355
Eh, they stated that pirate upgrades would remain "non-genuine". All the "non-genuine" status does in Win 7 is make an annoying black background. What that means for Windows 10 remains to be seen; they could turn a blind eye to it like Apple does now. But they're not going to mint you a legit product key, call up their IP lawyers and tell them to resign. That's just wishful thinking.

>>47099370
>2016
>le
*blush* oh anon you
>>
>>47099449
They probably will give you updates even if you don't have a legit license, in fact the updates will probably be forced. If anything, the advantage of paying for Windows 10 will probably be the ability to select more stable upgrade branches.

It will be interesting to find out how they intend to encourage Pirates to buy legitimate copies, and what will happen after the 'free upgrade for one year' offer expires.
>>
>>47099449
>Security patches/updates will work fine.
So the only reason to use a legitimate copy still works, what's the issue?
>>
>>47099355
>Niemand hat die Absicht, eine Mauer zu errichten
>>
they want everyone in china to be using their botnet instead of chinese crack windows botnet.
>>
>>47099595
[spoiler]>Die Mauer war nur in den Köpfen der Leute.[/spoiler]
>>
>>47099355

With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license... If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade
>>
>>47099643
What about if your Windows thinks it is genuine but it's not?
>>
>>47099271
Just don't connect your windows machine to the internet.
>>
Operating system microtransactions.
Pay $0.10 per app installation.
Buy season pass, unlimited installation of apps, for $99.99.
>>
>>47099662

I would guess that any activation will be removed in the upgrade. Not sure though.
>>
>>47099662
This.

If this >>47099355 is true, how will they tell it's non-genuine?
>>
>>47099662
The update probably looks for common cracks or tools, or widely circulated product keys. Just wait for the pirate scene to figure it out before upgrading.
>>
>>47099694
So they will unactivate every user, upgrade to Win10, and then what? Leave everyone unactivated?
>>
>>47099714

Seems so, when they say mislicensed. To me that sounds alot like KMS activation and the other forms of activation that is not purchasing a license.

If you want to acitvate you would probably need to buy it. Or wait for a new activator.
>>
>>47099662
>>47099706

It will just check the license key. The crack that keeps your pirated windows 8 from being able to tell the license is invalid will obviously not work in stock windows 10, it will check the key and find its bogus, just like if you entered an invalid key when you installed stock, windows 8.
>>
>>47099814
Well, in the end it doesn't really matter. Pirate groups will crack Windows 10 as well. Just give it some time.
>>
>>47099259
>revenue lost from personal pirated licenses
you fuckin w0t m8
>>
>>47099254
horrible. i'd pay for remove that shit from my desktop, if i were an spoiled bubbled first world rich kid.
>>
>>47099791

Um...no. The windows 10 upgrade will just check the windows 8 key. If its legit it will activate windows 10, if not it won't.

>>47099832

Duh, MS isn't giving windows 10 away to pirates, they're just giving you you update to windows 10, not activating it. You can't download win 8 isos off microsoft.com right now and activate them yourself. So they're not giving away windows 10 to pirates anymore than they are windows 8 now.
>>
>>47099052
You already paid for it when you got your computer.
>>
>>47099052
>why?
because if it cost money it would be the only OS producer in the world that charges for it
>>
I love them so much for supporting people that can't afford it, that i will go out and buy a copy of 10 for 119$.

I love you Microsoft-chan.
>>
>>47099872

I mean you CAN download win 8 from microsoft.com right now. So not sure why ppl think they're giving away win 10 to pirates anymore than they are win 8.
>>
>>47099879
prebuilt buyer babby detected
>>
Free Visual Studio Community edition
+
Free (and stable) Windows 10
=
more devs (especially iOS ones) making their apps available for Windows.
>>
>>47099904
feels the need to prove his not being a babby to the internet babby detected
>>
>>47099872
>Um...no. The windows 10 upgrade will just check the windows 8 key. If its legit it will activate windows 10, if not it won't.

Thus making copies of windows activated with a third-party program non-legit = no activation.
>>
>>47099974
>confirmed for newfag as well
> doesn't know how to greent4ext
>>
>>47099997

yes, but legit buyers will be activated.

its really only a free upgrade to win 10, not free windows.
>>
>>47099449
>So yeah... You'll get your update, but it'll just go "your install is not genuine"
This is pointless. If they do that pirates will just install a pirated copy. What is the fucking point?
>>
>>47099449
by unsupported they just mean you don't get microsoft phone support. You still get ecurity patches. Stop spouting shit plz.
>>
>>47099052
Microsoft have ignored private user piracy for ages, you could even say it's been their business model like >>47099259 suggested. This they're doing with win10, is just formalizing it.
>>
>>47099706
>If this >>47099355 is true, how will they tell it's non-genuine?

is this a joke question?

because it won't have the product key
>>
>>47100036
Presumably because once they're on Windows 10 they're also on automatic upgrades which will be much harder for pirates to work around disabling whatever countermeasures they've built in to 'encourage' people to get a legit copy.
>>
>>47100036

MS doesn't care about pirates. They do because some people will buy windows twice. Like my grandma, she bought some shit computer from best buy or something and the windows came up one day saying it wasn't genuine and she paid the $100+ for a genuine copy because she didn't know better.

For every copy of windows that is pirated I bet there's a person that buys windows twice.
>>
>>47099219
>Microsoft having to compete with Linux distros for market share

Linuxfags actually believe this
>>
>>47099219
>It's basically to compete with Linux distro's.

?
>>
Will kms activated copies fool the upgrade into thinking they are genuine?
If not then just wait for the next kms to be fully understood and a custom version developed the same way it was done for windows 8.
>>
>>47099052
It is not free
It does not respect your essential freedoms
>>
File: GTX970Engineer.jpg (102 KB, 819x677) Image search: [Google]
GTX970Engineer.jpg
102 KB, 819x677
>>47099671
>2015 year of our lord
>not connecting your PC to the BITNET
>>
>>47100226
why don't microsoft make it gratis?
>>
>>47100096
Windows is 55%, Linux 22%. That's a pretty huge shift from back when Windows was totally dominant, you can bet they're concerned. Free software has been taking over marginalized markets, or expanding into new markets rapidly. Now its starting to nibble at traditionally safe Windows markets like PC Gaming.

I'm honestly surprised that Microsoft is back pedaling on this, I thought once they started announcing the free upgrades that Windows as a freemium OS that they would go all in. I expect that a lot of this is simply being done to placate shareholders. After a year they'll have figures on how much they're making off of the built in ads, Cortana's data gathering, and the Windows store and I bet at that point it will be a lot easier for them to shift to $0 licenses for home and personal use.
>>
>>47100256
Exactly. I guess the trade off for free will be ads or data mining their uses. I can accept that trade if windows 10 has good performance improvements over 8.
>>
So is 10 out yet? When can we upgrade?
>>
>>47099052

Microsoft doesn't give a shit about home desktop use. It's all about those company licensing fees.
>>
>>47100413

This, MS would love if every idiot employee kept complaining they only know how to use MS work and outlook.
>>
>mfw micro$oft tricks you all into contributing to their botnet
>>
To kill the evil old versions of Windows so there will only be the good Windows 10 and everyone in the land will live happily ever after.
>>
>>47100256
>Windows is 55%, Linux 22%

lol no

you think 22% of users download and install linux distros.... or ever would?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers
>>
I think the market its changing, event it is going to be a version of windows 10 for RaspberryPi, they have this new open harware board too. nadela its making big changes to the company.
>>
>>47100413
Home users don't pay for upgrades anyway, they just buy a new computer. MS makes money selling licences to OEMs. I'd guess that making upgrades free will cost them very little.
>>
>>47100413

they care about their OS being installed on virtually every non apple personal computer sold at retail as a working machine (and not a bag of parts) on earth

you might not be writing microsoft a check but they are getting 50bucks from the maker per new computer times hundreds of millions....

they care about that
>>
>>47100256
>Windows is 55%, Linux is 22%
Linuxfags actually believe this.
>>
>>47100623
Do 90% of consumer whores really matter?
>>
Will we be able to give windows 10 the "classic" theme?

iirc that was pretty much dropped with windows 8
>>
>>47100638

do you know what the word consumer means

do you know what revenue is
>>
>>47099052
they compete with themselves since almost every windows home user pirates it
>>
>>47100638
They do for a business that's trying to make money.
>>
>>47100623
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Microsoft Windows 55.51%
Apple MacOS X/iOS 17.21%
Linux 22.56%
>>
>>47100680
>Linuxfags can't edit a wikipedia article
oh boy im laffin
>>
>>47100496
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

how is OS X only 2%?
>>
>>47100693
>>47100693
>>Linuxfags can't edit a wikipedia article

what do you mean by this
>>
>>47100680
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
Those statistics are including iOS and Android, which really skews the data.
>>
>>47100693

>linux 1.5 percent
>>
>>47100680

windows 10 is for desktops

why did you look at the desktop OS percentage facts, then link another set of data which deals with phone and server OSes ?
>>
>>47100698
Because the whole world basically uses Windows of some form.
And if you meant compared to the 22% Linux number: he took the mobile one.
>>
>>47100693
What's more funny is how in denial Windows fanboys are about this while Microsoft themselves are taking it very seriously. Microsoft executives have even referenced internal numbers several times that are even more pessimistic.
>>
>>47100680
Wow, only 14% of new hardware ships with Windows. I didn't realize MS had fallen that far. It's not surprising they're making it free. Soon they'll have to start paying people to use Windows.
>>
>>47100751
>What's more funny is how in denial Windows fanboys

2015 will be the year of the linux desktop!!!!!!!!
>>
>>47100711
Except excluding mobile data skews the results even more because then you're ignoring the devices poeple are using the most. Today you'll only get the old comforting 90% Windows share if you ignore mobile devices, Chromebooks, and non-traditional devices like the Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>47100783
It won't be, because for the majority of people the traditional desktop doesn't matter.
>>
I saw that Windows Update in 10 is automatic, and can't be turned off.

Any word if this is just for the preview or will this be in the final release?
>>
You guys know you can upgrade a properly activated pirated copy of Win 7 with an upgrade key right? And it turns it into a completely legal win8 key

They don't have a method to detect properly activated pirated copies, so if they want to give Win10 out for free they don't have a choice
>>
>>47100788

mobile devices ship with a fixed set of hardware and that is part of what you are buying, it's like counting kindles or calculators or DVD players

microsoft never had this market

you say "comforting" like i or very many people give a shit about microsoft or love windows more than anything

but for any kind of working large display upgradeable hardware desktop type thing, Windows and OSX are king by such a margin that even if a conversion to replace them was being undertaken right now it would take 10 years for windows to be down to 40% in that market

people have been talking about linux and other OSes taking over desktops as though it were going to happen soon for 10+ years and it's no closer to happening now than ever before
>>
>>47100810
>It won't be, because for the majority of people the traditional desktop doesn't matter.

i take it you neither work in an office nor know people who do

if you are working for a big company and need 1000 people to be productive and work on networked computers to do record keeping and professional business shit, windows is the only way to go

when you are working as a professional and must be accountable for a huge network of desktops, it's a pretty clear fact

even if you don't like it

90% of everyone using ios phones to take mirror photos won't change that
>>
>>47100832
Its almost certainly in the final release, Windows is moving to a rolling release and they want to avoid the problems caused by unpatched users running old code.

However, I expect that Microsoft will have a 'LTS' support channel which will almost certainly require a premium support subscription.
>>
probably free, but your every mouse click is uploaded to microsoft for advertising and science.
>>
>>47100898
If it's in the final release, I won't move from 7. That is a huge issue.
>>
>>47100856
>mobile devices ship with a fixed set of hardware
Desktop PCs are a fixed set of hardware too. Most consumers never upgrade them.

>microsoft never had this market
Horse carriage manufacturers never had the automobile market. I'm sure they'll do fine.
>>
>>47100891
>microsoft never had this market

They desperately want that market though, and if Windows Phone and Surface tablets were on top you can bet that there would be no argument that they should count.

>>47100891
>i take it you neither work in an office nor know people who do

Fuck off, I work in an office. For every corporate-dictated Windows machine we have, there's a laptop brought from home which is always a Macbook or a Chromebook, or a tablet none of which are Microsoft Surface. Then on top of that of course everyone has a smart phone which without exception is an iOS or Android device. That's what's reducing Microsoft's marketshare the proliferation of devices.
>>
File: 1423514254448.jpg (469 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
1423514254448.jpg
469 KB, 2448x2448
So if I install the testing copy of Windows 10, when they actually release it, can I just 'update' to the actual release version when it comes out? And not lose any of the programs and shit? I wanna switch now, but I don't want to get settled, and then have to move everything again.

And yeah, I know it's unstable, that isn't what I'm asking.
>>
>>47100973
Its also not a very good argument because as an industry we're moving away from systems built from individual components and towards single board SOC based systems.
>>
File: 1426772225108.gif (836 KB, 320x210) Image search: [Google]
1426772225108.gif
836 KB, 320x210
>>47099632
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.