[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best Uni and course to take to be a programmer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: SX8Gx.jpg (77 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
SX8Gx.jpg
77 KB, 500x281
What's the best Uni and course to take to be a programmer? Considering Physics, but everyones bitching that I should take ComSci or SoftEng
>>
I'd go with physics, and do a few interesting programming courses.
>>
you could always major softeng minor physics. Program physics stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
Thanks, I'll probably do Physics, just in case i fuck up I could still do a teaching job.
>>
>>47089951
I'm in Computer Engineering right now. If I could go back in the time, I'd choose either Maths or Physics.
>>
>>47089934
or vise-versa
>>
>>47089960
Why? Do you not like CE?
>>
>>47089914
depends,OP. I'd pick physics and math for myself, but it's easier to find a job with cs.
Personally, I picked cs, didn't regret it because I love it more than the previous two, but you should rather pick what you love. You'll find an ok job anyway.
>>
>>47090005
I love it, but what we learn is absolute trash, I prefer to learn on my own.
>>
Grad physics student here. In my experience you can probably take plenty of programming courses as a physics student, if that's your thing. So if you also like physics/math it's a decent option.

However the type of programming you'll learn is a bit different from (what I think) most CS students get. You'll mostly be learning about writing simulations in Fortran and learning a bit numerical analysis instead of developing conventional programs.

Also there will not be a lot of handholding in general, so be prepared to just get a very general assignments and then figuring out how to implement it in whatever language yourself.
>>
Programming is part problem solving part experience. maths and physics will help with the first part. The second part requires hundreds or thousands of hours and you only get it by programming.
>>
Softeng (+ minor physics) here.

I wish I'd just gone for computational science instead of software engineering, the latter fucking sucks and its curriculum was mostly just stale OOP and stiff enterprise-tier development processes.
>>
>>47089914
Is... is computer science okay?
>>
>>47090745
I'm not sure, but I've heard a lot of shit about it, most seniors consider them as a laughingstock.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.