[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Locks are technology what you got? >diy raspberry pi RFID
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11
File: medeco cutaway.jpg (28 KB, 540x394) Image search: [Google]
medeco cutaway.jpg
28 KB, 540x394
Locks are technology what you got?

>diy raspberry pi RFID systems
>Smartkeys
>INB4 all locks in production are outdated security.

Gonna drop $300 on one for my bedroom since the house will be open as a barn soon.
>>
File: dsc03354.jpg (93 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
dsc03354.jpg
93 KB, 800x600
Gonna cash in my tax return on this bad boy.
>>
>Got to hardware store
>Buy lock
>go home and install and go do other shit

who gets a fascination over a lock?
>>
File: 0017ee22_medium.png (384 KB, 450x296) Image search: [Google]
0017ee22_medium.png
384 KB, 450x296
>>47064960
do you even hacking bro?
>>
>>47064960
>did that three times
>shit still disappearing
>actually do research
> realize all locks are crap(bump keys, raking ect)

I want to do something different, just talk about locks you guys use.
>>
>>47064820
Why?
>>
>>47065094
I heard it's unpickable. I am putting alot of trust in this one.
>>
>>47065702
They'll just break your window then.
>>
File: bank-robber-burglar-3716-p.jpg (62 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
bank-robber-burglar-3716-p.jpg
62 KB, 600x800
Niggas aint walkin round at night like that sly mother fuckin coon. Bitch you think people actually pick locks and burglarize you? betchu think this wut he look like huh?
>>
>>47065702
Locks are only a deterrent.
Most robberies are a crime of opportunity, if they see a weakness, they'll exploit it.
Someone forgot to close their door?
Run in and grab what you can.

If someone goes in with the express purpose of robbing you, they will find a way.
>>
>>47065702
Hope your door is made of like, solid steel or something.

Breaking down your average door is easy as fuck nobody gives a shit about locks. Enjoy the next visit from your local nigger Jamal OP
>>
>>47064820
I could get through this lock with a bolt and a hammer. Stop thinking that locks will keep a determined man out of your house.
>>
>>47064753
>locks are technology
Can you install gentoo on a lock? THEN IT'S NOT TECHNOLOGY
>>
>>47066330
weird, in another thread i saw that someone say that every key is pretty much as secure as a skeleton key? is this true?
>>
>>47066358
easy neckbeard
>>
File: gifs-misc159.gif (812 KB, 333x200) Image search: [Google]
gifs-misc159.gif
812 KB, 333x200
>>
>>47066419
What is that icon, is it saying there is usually one pin that is easier to pick? Never tried picking myself but it always looked interesting.
>>
>>47065702
I'd put more trust in a gun.
>>
File: gifs-misc197.gif (2 MB, 636x288) Image search: [Google]
gifs-misc197.gif
2 MB, 636x288
>>
>>47066330
>I could get through this lock with a bolt and a hammer.

No you couldn't. There's plenty of force-based ways of bypassing a lock, but hammering a bolt into the hole wouldn't do shit towards bypassing it.
>>
>>47066374
Tools exist specifically for opening Abloy's disc locks.
Virtually every single lock out there can be opened with bumping, jigglers, a soft media attack, really quick raking, a couple minutes of precise picking, or just brute force with a drill or hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8eo107h3H8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj4myR2XlWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tc8LJiBuOc
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ey2SFHbZV8
You might find this interesting.
>>
>>47066466
damn is this hobby of yours? or you have (legal) experience?
>>
>>47066446
in my experience there's always at least a few pins in the tumbler that are just easier to set than the others. Then there's that one asshole pin that you need to use a special tool or ask really nicely and pray that it cooperates.
>>
>>47066493
It was never a really big hobby. I bought a set of picks when I was in high school, and I used to shim the pad locks on everyone's locker thinking I was hot shit. I went to a trade school for residential construction, and got into selling home security stuff on the side. Thats where most of my knowledge comes from.
>>
>>47064753
Whats the point of a $300 lock if I can kick down your door and save all that time?

And trust me, typical doors even with two deadbolts can be kicked down. I've done it before.
>>
>>47066446
The icon indicates the one pin that is aligned differently than the others. By keeping a constant torque on the lock, you can pick each pin one at a time because that pin will stick. It's just trial and error at that point.
>>
>>47066446
it is the pin that is pressed against the cylinder. if you push it up the force will lock it in place.
i am currently learning lockpicking. It is actually pretty fun but needs a steady hand.
>>
>>diy raspberry pi RFID systems
>>Smartkeys
Great idea OP, I've only heard good things about how secure the internet of things is.
>>
>>47066536
Maybe in the land of the fat and the free. But then again you could just walk straight through those cardboard walls.
>>
>>47065702
Guys.... It's just a bedroom door.... I just want to stop the lockpicking.
>>
>>47066633

Are you that guy that lives with the professional lockpickers?
>>
>>47066633
Burn the building down
>>
File: centre punch.jpg (17 KB, 300x133) Image search: [Google]
centre punch.jpg
17 KB, 300x133
>>47066466

Why did he use such a small bolt, one where you need to use needle nose pliers to hit the lock? just use a length of rod or even better still a large center punch which is designed to be hit by a hammer?
fuck that annoyed me
>>
>>47066633
>Get electronic lock with keycard/chip.
>Laugh at people trying to pick your lock because there is nothing to pick.
>>
>>47066666
He used a little cut bolt because you don't need to punch through the cylinder, all you need to do is compromise the locking band holding it in place. Bolts are small, easy to come by, and easy to dispose of. They're commonly used when breaking into commercial property because of that.
>>
File: 1421894413642.jpg (70 KB, 310x400) Image search: [Google]
1421894413642.jpg
70 KB, 310x400
>>47066666
Quints get
>>
>>47066719

> you don't need to punch through the cylinder, all you need to do is compromise the locking band holding it in place.

and a center punch would do that just fine.

>Bolts are small, easy to come by, and easy to dispose of

A center punch fits in the palm of your hand and can be brought in the exact same store a bolt can and whats it matter if its small, like the cops are going to ignore the fucking hammer you are carrying around?
>>
>>47066358
Locks are tech you pleb.

Admittedly >>>/diy/ would be of better help op
>>
>>47066466
I found this entertaining.
It's like the real-world equivalent of finding out software exploits.
>>
>>47066647
>>47066633

If he really lives with lockpickers buying an 'unpickable ' lock might be a horrible idea. They'll be pciking day and night for the challenge.
>>
>>47066711
>yfw they just hack the lock instead
>>
>>47066882
This.
Just get a 1/4" Bolt for the inside of the door.

On the topic of lockpicking. I've been considering taking it up as a hobby. Just some shit to do while here at my desk.

Can anyone direct me to some good but not overly expensive picks, and maybe some guides to start learning off?.

I feel self-teaching this sort of thing would be too stressful and I hope having something to start learning off of will alleviate a lot of said stress.
>>
>>47066419
>not oblivion.gif
>>
File: magic3.jpg (11 KB, 200x303) Image search: [Google]
magic3.jpg
11 KB, 200x303
>>47066925
or not do it at all. stress (POOF!) gone~*
>>
>>47066919
Good luck trying to hack something you have no means of communicating with.
>>
>>47066987
It's just something I think would be cool as fuck to take up.
>>
>>47066919
>someone already has with hotel doors.

That's why I trashed that idea. It seemed cool though.
>>
>>47067079
That would only apply to big targets like hotel chains or companies where one hacked key would open lots of doors.
For private households it's like a group of people being chased by a lion. To survive you don't have to be the fastest. There only has to be someone slower than you. Meaning, if you have better security than your neighbour, you are pretty much safe. And no normal burglar/nigger would ever have the means/wits/time to hack electronic locks.
>>
>>47066466
What's the best most safe lock in your opinion?
>>
>>47067536
Talking from experience, bramah locks are some of the most well enginnerd locks and are incredible hard to pick. Its a oldie but a goodie
>>
>>47067601
are they safe against that drilling shit too? Or are no locks safe against that?
>>
>>47067536
There are two types of security:
Security for when you're home
and security for when you're away from home.

Ultimately security when you're away from home is best provided by a monitored alarm system. It won't stop someone from breaking in, but it will alert the authorities the moment someone does, and a good system will catch their face on camera.

For when you're home a good barking dog does wonders. You can't keep a determined man out of the house, but you can make a door impossible to open through reasonable means. A reinforced door jam along with a lock that has a strike plate and a device to physically block the door from opening is about as good as it gets. You can find Club door lock all over the place for around $20-$25.
>>
>>47067601
this is a different anon, fyi
>>
>>47067740
Any lock can be smashed and drilled till all the main components are broken, then all you have to do is pull the bolt back. That being said, there are locks out there that prevet it, like those found in safes.

Larger safes use a plane of glass on the inside of the door that prevent drilling. It does this by shattering and dropping a bolt across the mechanism that throw the main bolts when the lock is opened. This is called a deadbolt becasue it also locks the safe permantly, even if you have the key or combination.
>>
>>47067905
>not sawing your way through
>>
Op here, been looking for vids of people picking the Abloy lock, only saw vids of people drilling through with a specific tool.... which means I don't have to worry right? It would be too obvious if someone kicked my door down because of sly thieves in the house.
>>
>>47066613
A sturdier solid wood door makes it even easier, the force is likely not going to break the door itself.

A typical pine 2x4 can be broken with a single kick by someone who can leg press 250lbs on one leg and with minimal training for proper form.
>>
>>47066466
>average crim having an international-order drill bit or Abloy-specific tool when literally zero of the locks they have ever come across in their entire career is an Abloy
Yeah, except no.

They will smash their way in. If they cannot smash because the sill and surrounding windows are properly reinforced, there will be no break in. Period.
>>
>>47066466
On a mortised lock, there is nothing in the back to stop the keyway from being pushed out. There is no housing or backplate or door material or anything. In order for this to work with a Protec door lock as you would find in a house, you would have to blow out the back side of the door lock, or sheer the two 1/4" bolts holding the front and rear halves together. Literally never going to happen.

The drill attack is the only effective means of destroying a door-mounted Protec, and it is loud and requires a corded drill and a very special bit that would never see use because Abloy is so scarce in America.

Total non issue.
>>
>>47064753
Aren't you the dude with the dragon dildos?
>>
>>47064753
>Using proprietary keys.
>>
>>47068698
...that's not the point.
>>
>>47068356
I guess it's somewhat ok-ish situation if the burglar is forced to use specific tools / forced to breake down the lock or the door instead of quietly picklocking it open. It would probably just "scare" away the ones who are just looking for a easy target, bit similar to those shitty/good locks in your bicycle. If the burglar really wants to get in obivously the locked door isn't going to stop him as has been mentioned in this thread countless times.
>>
>>47068736
How'd they get through your regular deadbolt anyway?
>>
>>47069035
I learned that bump keys and the raking technique with other tools makes it easy to pick any lock. Youtube even shows how simple it is.
>>
Locksmith/automatic door guy/access control noob reporting.
>>
>>47064753
Fuck, that looks like a pain to pick. Best way is probably the shoulder slam or shotgun.
>>
>>47065702
Try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ey2SFHbZV8
>>
>>47064753
>tfw live in a rural area with no minorities anywhere near
feels good man, I don't even use locks.
>>
>>47065014
Get a lock that requires touch pad input to open and close. No key, more effort to take apart and hack than picking a lock.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 383x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 383x300
>>47066666
>quints
>>
>>47064753
I remember when I was 14 and I picked a lock with a pin. That was a crowning achievement for me. I moved onto harder and harder locks and now I can't stop picking locks.
I'm thinking of robbing a few houses once I manage to master these types of locks (in the image).
>>
>>47066919
>implying the niggers in my neighborhood know how to code
>implying I'm not the only person in my neighborhood that doesn't think a computer is a magic box
>implying I'm not surrounded by tea party flags and alcoholics
I'd kek if they actually managed to realize the thing was a lock.
>>
>>47066536
Nigger why are you breaking into people's houses?
>>
>>47066633
have you told them to stop being faggots?
if that doesn't work, kick the shit out of your roommate(s).
failing that, just move out.
>>
>>47066493
Locksport is legal in almost all jurisdictions. The rules are pretty simple: at their most strict form, they boil down to only picking a lock that you own. (If you rent, that means the door to your unit, which you do not own, is not a lock you should try to pick.) But locks are cheap enough that you can buy lots of them and fiddle with them whenever you want to take your eyes off the screen.

http://locksport.com

Anon buying Abloy lock? You probably won't be able to pick it (and I couldn't either), but do yourself the favor of at least trying before you install it! And if you're seriously worried about security, as other anons have suggested, secure the door frame. It is rare that bad guys actually bother to attempt picking or even bumping (a form of picking that leaves tons of forensic evidence) a lock. The lock isn't the weakest point. Bad guys just break in through the window or bodyslam the door.
>>
>>47066925

>On the topic of lockpicking. I've been considering taking it up as a hobby. Just some shit to do while here at my desk.

>Bored at work
>Turn the monitor off
>Break out your collection of deadbolts
>Line them up on your desk like crack and start picking away

>Boss walks by
>Sees you picking locks
>Immediately fires you for suspicious behavior
>>
File: master.jpg (65 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
master.jpg
65 KB, 800x600
Bought this from the thrift store this afternoon, and brute forcing it right now.
I looked up videos on picking these things, but I can't hear the *click*, I can't see the little differences in gaps when a tumbler is set. Four 6 position tumblers. 1300 possible combinations is doable, and I'm sure I won't even have to go that far.
>>
>>47069861
My problem is that the keypads require simple six digit codes at most. I would like to have my own code length, ten being my safe spot.
>>
Keep piles of laundry on your floor and invest in open source bear traps.
>>
>>47066446
its called binding. each lock has its own unique binding order due to slightly different sizes of pins and holes. only one pin will bind at a time and that is the pin you have to set.
>>
Anyone here know how to lockpick? I have a very high end fancy lockpick set and so far have tried it on some padlocks with ease.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.