[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am i the only one here who feels the masses are misusing the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: 2000-2-27.gif (97 KB, 1200x540) Image search: [Google]
2000-2-27.gif
97 KB, 1200x540
Am i the only one here who feels the masses are misusing the consumer tech?
No, more like they are not utilizing what they are buying.
You see, these days everyone and their grandma have a laptop, the laptop has atleast 4 GB of RAM, a quad core i3 maybe, 500 GB of HDD that they'll never use, and probably an Intel HD Graphics, which still is a beast.

And what do most of the people use their laptops for? Web browsing, some light media watching, checking their mails, or using the word processor or excell sheet?

These all tasks comprise 95% of all consumer tasks, a very small minority actually uses their laptops for anything other than these purposes.

Clearly, these machines are bulldozers, but they are being made to drag a paper boat. I dont have people anything against people buying whatever they want. They can buy the latest Razer laptop for all i care. But what bothers me is, that if they wanted to do something that simple, they should have bought the cheapest laptop. And dont get me started on iDevices. People use them for video editing at best, but do not realize that their consumer tier laptop which is cheaper has a better GPU to edit videos.

If the processor was running on an ondemand governor, i can bet that the third and fourth core will never be used, the HDD wont go over 250 GB mark, no way, and the best that the GPU will probably ever render is a cat video on youtube or an highdef movie.

In short, the masses are very very uninformed.
Anyone else who feels so?
>>
>>47039463
>Intel HD Graphics, which still is a beast.

It is at this point that I stopped visually processing the content of your post.
>>
The average computer is WAY overkill for what the average user does with it. Pretty sure everyone knows this.
>>
>>47039491

Automatic transmissions suck
>>
And what else is new?
Cars can pull massive quantities of stuff around yet most people just use them to drive themselves around, and some shopping now and then.
>>
>>47039522

Okay.
>>
>>47039491
Just who are you deluding? You and i both know Intel HD Graphics is strong enough to play almost all pre 2010 video games. Also 1920x1080 video is no biggie for them, right?
>>
>>47039553
>muh video gaymes
fuck off
>>
>>47039556
i was just showing how powerful the intel hd graphic gpus are, no need to lose your top over it.

Here, take some autism medicine
>>
That's why cellphones and chromebooks...
>>
>>47039463

And this is where Apple shines. GPU? Nah. Powerful CPU? Nah. FANS? NAH. Let's just make a tablet with a keyboard, extra battery, and sell it for $1200. It's not like the regular consumer needs to do heavy processing anyways.
>>
>>47039680
You know what actually matters in a laptop? Screen quality. Battery life. Stuff that Apple actually gives a fuck about. But enjoy your $500 1366x768 Acer turds just because it has a "Core i7" sticker on it.
>>
>>47039463
True.
My girlfriend has a macbook, she uses it for browsing the internet. Nothing else, nothing at all.

Why would anyone buy such an overkill device to do menial tasks that can be done by a less pricey machine? I just dont get it.
>>
>>47039463
yup
My mom has a 15 inch dell XPS 15. Its al whole lot better than my Pentium 4 PC.
All she uses it for is watching videos on youtube, checking mail and everything that OP post minus the movie watching part.

I am not even autistic but it bothers me so much...
/g/ should make infographics to educate people as to buy machines with what specs according to their requirements...
>>
File: char_41942.jpg (11 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
char_41942.jpg
11 KB, 210x240
>don't need to do much on a computer
>UNINFORMED
>THE MASSES
>WASTING GIGAHERTZ

so this is the power of the sperg
>>
So what do you suggest if Aunt Beryll wants to buy a reliable computer with a warranty? Low spec computers have shit build quality, and used doesn't come with warranty (and is a lot more hassle than going to radiomart/walshack).

It's easier for a lot of people to buy a decent computer for 3 years than a shitty one ever year.
>>
>>47039788
>don't need to do much on a computer
>still buys the 9000$ laptop
yeah thats real smart why not just buy a tablet eh? Its cheaper and you'd be actually utilizing its hardware properly. Tablets are made for browsing the internets and tablet + keyboard combo is pretty dank
>>
>>47039788
>WASTING GIGAHERTZ
if we poured all of the wasted CPU time that humanity has amassed over the past day alone, just imagine the kind of shit we could have calculated. i mean, just even unused smartphone CPU cycles alone could be used to answer serious problems that google and IBM have been using superclusters to figure out. i dont even want to think about all of the fucking wasted TOTAL computer power. think about all of the GPUs that fagboy m4st3r r4c3 computer gamers buy. all of the PS4s, Xboxes and other shit. think about every computer that has been ditched, every game console, even a NES can crunch numbers. if every computer produced thus far was operating at full capacity, what could we do with it? we could run any computation we want. but we don't. we're more interested in sending naked snapchats of ourselves and browsing dank meme`s than actually doing work. we, as a species are retarded, and this is just one reason why, because we are _so_ fucking bad at looking at things with any perspective at all.
>>
fuck i feel like i have become one of these people.
>>
>>47039938
me too anon
core 2 duo should not be used for browsing 4chins, a pentium should do i think
>>
If we could send the most brilliant minds from the past our everyday consumer grade technology + internet, would they be 1000x more productive or would they fall victim to our modern day information overload?
>>
>>47039463
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Like a condom.
>>
ware da get @
>>
i thought botnets were made to utilise the left over resources.. even more they are the only ppl who would into botnets anyways
>>
>>47040157
seti@HOME confirmed for botnet
>>
>>47039909
And we would also need a bunch of nuclear reactors to power all that shit.
>>
>>47040543
>And we would also need a bunch of nuclear reactors
good! then we would have less polluting CO2, as well as less pollution from discarded electronics. win-win.
>>
>>47040570
That's not what it means. It would be make-work in electricity form.
>>
>>47040584
stop crashing my parade anon

also surprised nobodys jerked over my get>>47040000
>>
they need all that power so their computer doesn't grind to a halt when their browser opens a web page with shitty javascript code that one of you idiots probably wrote
>>
File: pooh_unimpressed.jpg (54 KB, 425x336) Image search: [Google]
pooh_unimpressed.jpg
54 KB, 425x336
well windows machines come so full of bloatware these days that you can easily waste 8gb of RAM and start slowing down the system.

There are tons of people that are too dumb to do a clean install of windows and they let startup programs pile up on top of the bloatware as well. Once they do, they blame it on the computer being "old and slow"
>>
Are you guys saying the should sell slower computers? Computers with 1GB RAM? 100GB disk space? Just to fit the average Facetweeter? Fuck that, you guys are all looking at this incorrectly.
>>
>>47040696
>Are you guys saying the should sell slower computers
for the same exact price as we sell them now, yes. now you're thinking in shekels, anon
>>
>>47040696
why not? Most people wont use the resources anyway. Why not just save some resources and cut costs?

Or better we make machines with OSes focusing shit like social, or media
>>
>>47040739
>social, or media
google does that already
>>
>>47040739
Most people won't need more than a Chromebook. Yet they buy $1500 MacBooks.
>>
>>47040739
Don't they already? New Chromebook vs. some $300 best buy laptop. "Pre-built gaming PC" vs. some other piece of shit.

These options already fucking exist, its not like only the latest supercomputer is on the shelves.
>>
>>47040767
Then we just have to make people understand that they dont actually use the machines fully and their needs would be fullfiled by using tablets and similar machines
>>
>>47039523
/thread
>>
>>47039692
It's so sad that this is the exact laptop my parents bought me for college.
>>
>>47039909
...says the anon posting to social media with wasted GigaHertz
>>
>>47040783
exactly
but people have to understand their needs and buy these instead of wasting money on hardware too powerful for their needs.

This is a FOSS alternative to chrome OS not many people know about. I stumbled across it on distrowatch, though i'd share it with you people
http://www.xpud.org/
>>
>>47040642
This, exactly this. Twenty toolbars, four ad-injectors and three bitcoin mining malwares later and your grandma's year-old PC takes off slower than commercial space travel.
>>
>>47039463
most consumers don't look at letalone understand the specifications

if they can't afford much, they'll get what they can afford, if they can, they get something more expensive because more expensive is better, right?
they'll also replace capable computers once they start running slow, even if it's not a hardware issue (just full of shitware)

it takes some knowledge and experience to know what specifications one actually needs, and how to maintain it to keep it performing adequately

it's reasons similar to these that tablets have taken off recently, mobile hardware has passed the point where most basic tasks can be handled by them, and the software is basic/locked down enough that it's harder to make a mess of things (so they stay running well longer)
>>
>>47040739
You realize that it doesn't take more resources to make better hardware right?
>>
>>47039463
Yes, but on the other hand their careless spending means more money for R&D
>>
>>47039463

>mobile i3
>dual core, no turbo boost
>shitty intel graphics
>bulldozer

Um, no. Yes, they are enough for browsing, but try anything more and you are stuck. They are not powerful, at all.
>>
>>47041033
basically the idea of making computers commercial is shit. Every commercial business model make inventions a joke. Imagine when people are not told about computers , only computing machines they have is calculators.
>>
>>47041033
>most consumers don't look at letalone understand the specifications
Is this true? I can say that my mom did not, while buying her touchscreen dell but aren't people these days tech savvy? I mean not REALLY tech savvy but looking up RAM, or processor and then making a decision is no biggie, right?
>>
>>47039463
>Am i the only one here who feels the masses are misusing the consumer tech?
No, but there are lots of idiots.

There's a whole school of thought in HCI that says your design is user-centric. The notion that users are using it wrong is plainly retarded. They use it however is appropriate for them. If you wanted it not to be used in any way the user wants, then you shouldn't have created affordances for people to use these things creatively.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.