[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11
thoughts?
>>
Where's my towel, I need root
>>
It made me sick. It's a great, frightening documentary. It's also beautiful to see how a very intelligent, successful person just gives up his entire life just so that we know what the NSA is up to... We need more people like Edward Snowden...
>>
Ed is really cute
>>
>>47026677
>tfw Snowdens Gf (or now Wife, not sure) is bretty good looking
>>
File: edward_snowdens_gf.jpg (61 KB, 634x572) Image search: [Google]
edward_snowdens_gf.jpg
61 KB, 634x572
>>47026752
> that feel when
>>
>>47026808
>She is a pole dancer
Oh Ed..
>>
They teased with some POTUS leak at the end, has it happened yet?
>>
>>47027195
I hope so, at least we would finally see what pedophiles and murderers are elected presidents..but of course, this being the u.s., they will keep their lies up as long as humanly possible
>>
File: 58853547.jpg (15 KB, 256x257) Image search: [Google]
58853547.jpg
15 KB, 256x257
>>47024819
A for effort, and i do like that they included a lot of the technical stuff, but ultimately it'll never get the exposure that it needs.

Just look at this thread, on page 9 about to prune while a dozen consumerist memephone shill threads are going strong, its indicative of a larger societal problem where the normies don't know enough about the shit they use every day to know why this is a big deal, and where the criminal government has so much control and influence over the media that they can just bury real issues like this under a thousand manufactured and irrelevant sensationalist pieces each day.

The whole thing has already blown over, nobody gives a shit anymore and its not like you can explain to someone why this matters when they've been popping pharma-grade meth since they were five and their attention span is thirty seconds before they're compelled to fire up chrome and look for the latest dankest celebrity maymays.
>>
>>47028409
One day, we will find out what we have created. One day we will realise what happens when we kill privacy.
>>
>>47027195
What was the link? Haven't seen the movie for a while
>>
>>47028854
http://www.pilgrimbreak.com/citizenfour-hd-high-speed-download/
Here's one.
>>
>>47026752
>>47026808
damn
>>
I remember him talking about something like sigint. Was he talking about an interrupt or something?
>>
File: edward_snowdens_gf1.jpg (61 KB, 970x915) Image search: [Google]
edward_snowdens_gf1.jpg
61 KB, 970x915
>>47028905
I know you'd tap that
>>
>>47028883
tanks
>>
File: edward_snowdens_gf2.jpg (407 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
edward_snowdens_gf2.jpg
407 KB, 1536x1536
>>
He uses Alienware

bretty gud
>>
I thought it was both scary and extremely powerful, however, nothing will ever change people's outlook on the technology they use everyday.
I was outraged at what I saw, yet I still communicate with friends on Facebook using chrome that I'm signed into, to talk about the most sensitive personal information every single day. Ironically I'm also writing a paper on our digital footprint using Google docs...
Why am I/society so apathetic to such serious issues?
>>
>>47029172
How can you continue using the botnet? The NSA revelations actually made me switch to Firefox + HTTPS everywhere, I only edit documents locally, encrypt personal files, etc
>>
>>47029172
if you aren't doing SOMEthing to ensure you're better protected, whether it's using Tor on occasion or periodically deleting your google account history, you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: hah.gif (573 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
hah.gif
573 KB, 500x281
>>47029352
> deleting your google account history
This fucking guy
>>
>>47029352
>deleting your account history
>>
>>47025351
kek
>>
>>47029256
Many reasons I guess. I can't convince friends and family to use less intrusive messaging protocols, the company I work for are Google partners so they insist on usif botnet products and most importantly, I feel like it's futile. How can anyone these days live without a smart device and get company levels off the grid?
>>
>>47029525
Completely*
>>
>>47029172
I could understand the situation we are put into because we are limited to privacy friendly content and software. we have technically put our own heads on a guillotine hoping for a solution while we can just simply move our heads out. I wish there was a more simpler way out though in the technological world
>>
Direct link to official HD version

http://cryptome.org/Citizenfour-HD.7z

It was on archive.org but they took it down. It's free and part of the public domain.
>>
File: 1420671974810.png (178 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1420671974810.png
178 KB, 330x319
>>47029352
>deleting your google account history
>
>>
>>47029172
>not just turning on incognito mode
You like the NSA spying you, hu?
>>
boring
too long
oscar?...top kek
>>
>>47029525
Working with Google or not, I don't see how you can't use a non-botnet browser when you're not at work. And it isn't futile.
>>
Amazing movie. Too bad general consumers and plebs will not watching. People are too delusional and new kids growing up are too used to normiebook and other shit. Privacy will be completely destroyed in 5 or so years.
>>
>>47030693
NSA shill detected
>>
>>47030751
> Privacy will be completely destroyed in 5 or so years.
Bullshit
>>
File: 1393858671469.jpg (13 KB, 240x250) Image search: [Google]
1393858671469.jpg
13 KB, 240x250
>>47030740
The thing is, even if i do switch to firefox and https everywhere, then that doesn't avoid the fact that my communications using things like facebook messenger, imessage and my gmail account are still compromised.

Serious question : If I wanted to completely safeguard my privacy, how far do i need to go to do that?

I'm guessing not having a smartphone is a start (although this isn't realistic), then getting rid of gmail and hosting my own email server (possible), then using services like lavabit and cryptocat to communicate with people (possible), and also encrypt all hard drives and thumb drives (probable). Anything I missed? Would I have to leave apple devices and use linux and dumbphones or something like blackphone?
>>
>>47030776
Your right. It's already is destroy.
>>
>>47026677
Yeah the man is a fuckin hero. Too bad most Americans are too tech illiterate to understand the extent of surveillance, too many are right-wing retards who actually believe it's for our own good, and everyone else doesn't actually care enough to leave their homes and do something about it.
>>
>>47030740
>>47031292
pls respond to above
>>
I preferred films where the nightmare dystopias were works of fiction and not documentaries.
>>
I've been meaning to get around to watching it. Now is as good a time as any.
And on a similar note, are there any phones on the market that will let my have my privacy? I'm willing to check out dumb phones if I have to.
>>
>>47032624
No none. They wouldn't work unless they could track you. You should look up on how phone networks actually work. With that said, I would go for android smartphones more than anything else and get a FOSS rom sans gapps
>>
>>47030751
>Privacy will be completely destroyed in 5 or so years.
Privacy doesn't have a set definition, privacy today is no where near as strong as a century ago. In a few years we'll still have privacy, just not comparable to the privacy of today.
>>
>>47032754
I have a general idea of how they work. That question was more a shot in the dark than anything else.
>>
>>47032950
yeah if anything I would avoid dumbphones more than FOSS android. Who knows what kind of shit they got in there. Never heard of an open source dumphone
>>
Does anyone know of any resources I can look up on migrating from proprietary software and replacing mainstream communication services like gmail and fb messenger to more secure ones?
>>
>>47033165
The /g/ wiki.
>>
>>47024819
Two bits really hit me.
For some reason I can't really explain one was when Greenwald was addressing the Brazilian government inquiry and the camera showed students with Snowden masks.
The other was when the Lavabit guy was adressing the European parliament. You could see how hurt and angry he was.
>>
>>47027195
I think it was about that operation they have in Germany that for intercepting mainly middle eastern communications.
POTUS was mentioned to show that the chain of command doesn't branch and he's basically all the elected oversight there is for that operation.
>>
>>47024819
pretty good, but I feel it miss the point.
They only focuses on ed. Then at the end there is interesting things about life privacy, talks in the EU congress, you can see ed advocates...
They should have present what NSA do and how. They also should explain WHY it's important to have privacy in internet, what is anonimity, etc. They should have asked to an expert how to protect ourself
So it was good, interesting, but not enough.
>>
ok /g/, is this film worth paying for or is it gonna be a bunch of reddit tier paranoia? getting real sick of tin foil hat paranoia and no real information.
>>
File: it's happening snowden.png (7 KB, 403x48) Image search: [Google]
it's happening snowden.png
7 KB, 403x48
>yfw Snowden uses "protip" in the movie
>yfw he probably browsed /g/
>yfw he might still browse it
>>
>>47033958
It's not a propaganda/educational movie.
It's a documentary, so it focuses on documenting how the leaks came to be.
And there should be more education, but all that footage Poitras took needed to be put towards something that would be seen as not pushing a message. Something that people wouldn't stop watching because they felt they were being lectured.
>>
>>47033165
http://prism-break.org/
>>
File: Pepe is over.png (217 KB, 389x712) Image search: [Google]
Pepe is over.png
217 KB, 389x712
>>47034039
I don't think 'protip' is an exclusively 4chan expression and even then plenty of expressions/memes have leaked from chans into mainstream.
>>
>>47029352
TOP FUCKING KEK
>>
>>47031624
the left is just as guilty as the right is m8.
>>
File: Protip.jpg (13 KB, 288x306) Image search: [Google]
Protip.jpg
13 KB, 288x306
>>47034039
>>47034288
it's not even a 4chan expression. it never was from 4chan to begin with. it dates back to 90s gaming magazines.
>>
>>47034288
thank god for that. Pepe is over? More like pepe is cancer.
>>
>>47032754
>get a FOSS rom sans gapps
Are those even words
>>
>>47034070
>It's a documentary, so it focuses on documenting how the leaks came to be.
agree
>It's not a propaganda/educational movie.
> Something that people wouldn't stop watching because they felt they were being lectured.
Ofc, but the problem is that people don't really understand why it's important to protect the right of privacy, and why "nothing to hide" is a stupid thought.
All the documentary is good only for people who understand all that shit.
>>
>>47026677
It makes me sick how Obama got a free Nobel peace price for doing nothing / continuing war, while Snowden had to sacrifice all he had and treated like a criminal.

Specially when Obama himself said he supported whistleblowers. Fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>47035130
>get a free open source software ROM without Google Apps
The Internet is your friend, matey.
>>
>>47035191
Like what? Replicant?

And then have no GPS when I get lost?
>>
>>47035187
He's a fucking politician. what did you expect? they're all the same. This whole left vs right is just a distraction to create arguments and no solutions. If you honestly think support one over the other will bring you freedom, you're sadly mistaken.
>>
>>47028883
Thank you based anon
>>
>>47028883
Thanks anon. I'll download it tomorrow.
>>
>>47035253
I'm not him, I was just translating.
>>
>>47035140
so why?
>>
>>47024819

https://prism-break.org/en/

this is pretty cool.
>>
>>47035845
why it's important and why nothing to hide is stupid ?
I don't really want to start that debate because :
1-it's too long and complicated
2-/g/ is full of faggots that will defend the opposite even if they know they are wrong, so it's not the best place.

but some guys of /g/ talked about it pretty well, explain with real facts making parallel with real life. There's probably a copy pasta of that, or screenshots. So if anyone of you got it, post it.

if you really want to know just go on duckduckgo, ixquick, startpage or google :
>why nothing to hide is the wrong way of think
>why is privacy important

I also remember of a talk. I found it for you. you'll find it easily on youtube.
>Steven Rambam. Privacy is Dead
it is long, but he explain many things, the who when how and why. it's pretty gud.
>>
>>47035903
>tox
>>
>>47036154
whats wrong with tox?
>>
>>47036254
nothing. Actually cool that a project from /g/ end on a website like this.
>>
>>47036254
>>47036403
Tox doesn't work, never will work, and is insecure. It leaks your ip address. Another shit project by /g/, at least we got past the logo stage this time
>>
>>47034942
I actually read that one is a shopped, can anyone confirm it's from an actual magazine?

IIRC it was a group of people who decided to make funny useless vg statements.
>>
>>47036474
>leaks your IP
fuck, can you tech illiterates stop with this meme and learn what p2p is?
>>
>>47036474
I've always thought that people saying "leeks your ip" were trolling. But it gets posted so much if they were I'd know it was an inside joke.

How come people want a third party intercepting your messages just to mask the source ip. It doesn't affect anonymity, peer to peer or centralized you have zero anonymity in the Internet. Just centralizing it makes it easier for governments to access without your knowledge.
>>
>>47034010
>no real information
He basically grabbed enough stuff for people to write books on for the next 10 years.

>>47033165
https://ssd.eff.org/en
>>
>>47034039
Remember Cicada 3301?

gubberment is watching 4chin
>>
>>47026677
/pol/ pls
>>
>>47024819
Just saw it. Snowden is a real hero.
Also he is qt.
no-homo.
>>
>>47029256
>thinking this is effective in the slightest.
obviously you need to research this topic a bit more. everything is backdoored, your phone, your usb drive, everything.
>>
>>47038179
would suck dry
>>
>>47038301
i said no-homo
>>
>>47028931
>>47028950
>>47026808
HOLY FUG
>>
I already knew most of the stuff in it, but I still thought it was good. I'm going to make my family watch it.
>>
>>47031624

>right-wing retards who actually believe it's for our own good

I think you're a little confused mate.
>>
>>47038561
He's right, you know.
>muh guns, don't take muh guns
>but hey, that Snowden fell-ar is a traitor!
>>
>>47024819
why did he not release all his info to wikileaks or the deep web(implying it exists)??
>>
>>47039332
Watch the damn movie.
>>
>>47038580
as opposed to the leftards defending obama's surveillance state even now

both sides are in the wrong
>>
>>47039722
>>both sides are in the wrong
Thank you.
This is something important to realise.
Liberals defend what obama is doing because obama is 'their guy', and republicans defend this surivaillence state because it's what they wanted to do anyway.
Gotta save our chilluns by putting their country in massive amounts of debt and making them live in a surveillance state that makes 1984 look like they didn't go far enough.

It'd be nice if more people gave a shit about civil liberties. Like the ones in the constitution, for example. They are supposed to be unalienable rights- rights granted by god that you're not even allowed to give up voluntarily. You have these rights whether you like it or not and that's what being American was about.
>>
>>47038580
incidentally, while he was a senator, obama said he was against warrantless wiretapping (because bush was doing it)

he made a big deal about it, and i was happy, because bush was wrong to do it

then at the last minute he voted FOR telecom immunity for warrantless wiretaps

this was shortly before the 2008 presidential election, and it is why i voted for a third party instead of obama
>>
Dat scene at the end where he reveals that the NSA is currently hoarding data on 1.2 million domestic targets.

So...how many 4channers are on the list?
>>
> mass surveilance to prevent terrorism

> active in France, Australia, the U.S.

> Lindt siege, Charlie Hebdo, Boston Bombings still happen

> All of the perps are waving massive red flags and well known to intelligence agencies

So what exactly do GCHQ or the NSA need mine MY data for?

It's all very fishy
>>
Good movie for those who aren't aware of snowden and what he's done.

I knew almost everything that they said which kinda left me bored but it was still a good movie.

What they didn't touch on and what I think they should have is what you can do about the whole thing.
>>
>>47034039

He also donated money to Ron Paul.

He's probably a /pol/ack
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.