[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't we have portable hard drives instead of small
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Floppy_Disk_Drive_8_inch.jpg (199 KB, 1487x1224) Image search: [Google]
Floppy_Disk_Drive_8_inch.jpg
199 KB, 1487x1224
Why don't we have portable hard drives instead of small USB keys and just shove them in computers like floppy disks and they're like 1TB+ large, is it because everyone likes their USB keys tiny and loses them the next day or is there a better reason?
>>
File: c03590696.jpg (36 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
c03590696.jpg
36 KB, 400x400
We do.
>>
>>47000576
I'm talking about it as a consume standard, like why doesn't every desktop machine have a portable hard drive reader below the dvd reader?
>>
>>47000536
because people don't know how to care for hard drives. Especially portable ones. Spinning drives die all the fucking time. Maybe if we did portable SSDs the universe would be better, but portable HDDs would be a BAD time. Data loss all over the place because people don't know what backups are.
>>
>>47000641
So instead of an HDD having portable ssds as thin as floppy discs with a big casing in aluminum to sink the heat.
Wouldn't that be great?
>>
>>47000699
no need for a casing or heat sinks, just connect an ssd to esata or usb3.
>>
>>47000699
what the fuck did you just say?
>>
>>47000536
Because SATA or mSATA to USB adapters and the hundreds of prebuilt portable drives that use this tech render dedicated portable hard disk slots unnecessary and useless.
>>
>>47000639
>usb
>esata
People didn't use esata, got fazed out
USB is best option currently.
>>
>>47001025
Correction:

if (networkAccess())
best = "networks";
else best = "usb";

ultimate faggotry reached
>>
>>47000536
Get a computer with a dock or a front panel bay docking station? There were also magneto-optic disks at one point but they were too durable (in a cartridge), infinite rewrites etc. compared to DVDs so they were gotten rid of by the illuminati.
>>
>>47000639
Intel had a SSD docking bay last time I went to their LANfest
>>
Don't know about you, but I have 6 slots available for SSDs.

iStarUSA BPU-126-SA

Here's what 4 of these look like in the same case I have, Corsair 900D. (I only have 1 5.25 adapter at the moment.)
>>
>>47000536
We do. Most HP prebuilts come with a bay called a "media bay" You literally just shove a HDD in there
>>
>>47001102
True, it's a feature they've always had on a lot of their shit. Even my old one with windows ME. I grew up thinking it was standard at some point.
>>
>>47000536
I remember my old HP Pavilion had a slot for a mobile drive, I don't know how its called. Never used it, it should become a standard.
>>
>>47001146
see
>>47001102
>>
>>47001102
>>47001154
Nice, why doesn't this exist anymore? And why only HP?
>>
>>47001255
They are just consumer features to make HP stand out. I just took a look at the HP desktop I have and it has a portable drive bay and a media drive bay on the front which is pretty cool. HP's website is pretty useless for looking at exactly what the computer has, so it's kinda hard to tell if they still sell desktops with media bays
>>
>>47000536
because average person dosen't need 1tb of portable data
because everyone likes their usb keys tiny, it increases portability
and because hard drives have moving mechanical elements

i had palm lifedrive years ago, it had "small portable hard drive" inside. After switching it to CF card everything was way better - microdrive was slower, had higher power draw and was more likely to get damaged (mechanically, i mean).

although when i was internetless kid we were transfering our pirated games through HDD with my friends. It required turning computer off (ata), but it was good method back then.
>>
>>47002308
Samsung already released their first portable SSD, wait 5 years and 1-2TB drives become usual. Anyone here remembers the time when 64MB sticks were large?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.