[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any one else agree that "diversity in tech" is going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: Snapshot.jpg (68 KB, 659x487) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot.jpg
68 KB, 659x487
Any one else agree that "diversity in tech" is going to utterly destroy innovation and progress?
>>
>>46975976

Oy!, people with different backgrounds can provide different ways to solve a problem.

Embrace diversity goy.
>>
>>46975976
ask /pol/
>>
Someone's afraid of losing their job. If it's so simple that Tyrone and Shaniqua can learn how to do it in a couple hours then more power to them.
>>
it honestly shouldn't be a big deal, certain races are just drawn to tech, people shouldn't force unqualified minorities just to fill a quota.
>>
>utterly destroy innovation and progress

How, exactly? It's fueling it if anything.
>>
>>46975976
Explain your reasoning and maybe I will see it your way, but, no. Really, no.

Why should it? If you get more potential programmers/developers/engineers/etc, I see really no way that that should reduce the innovation.
>>
>>46976067
It slows down getting actual work done when you force in different races and women when you obviously have more experienced people getting turned down.
It used to be the people that fueled innovation and progress were the people that actually got shit done
>>
Not every company is going that route. Those that continue to hire based on skill (and some minorities actually do have skills) will outperform those who are trying to meet some diversity quota. Those who go along with the quotas will either figure out the shitty hires are worthless and sit them in a corner to stay out of the way and collect a paycheck (which is a drag on company finances) or push to have them included in all projects, which will destroy the company rather than cripple it.
>>
>>46975976
Nope. If companies don't have to spend as much on salaries they can use more resources for innovation.
>>
>>46976188
>code monkeys
>innovation

Anyway, it's not like the people who get turned down cease to exist. There are more and more tech jobs every day.
>>
Tech doesn't suffer in the face of diversity. I've met all sorts of really smart and competent people from all different backgrounds. In theory it would be possible to increase diversity in the sector while creating cut-throat recruitment competition for the best and brightest.

The problem here is poor business management, because that theory is not what will happen. Instead you'll just get a glut of diversity hires in order to hit quotas. Those people will suck. We all love the underdog story of the poor kid who graduated magna cum laude from MIT, but that's not 99% of what's out there.

But for all of that, I still don't agree. It's a temporary setback. Diversity is this decade's schtick. By 2020 everyone will be off of this nonsense and onto something else. Remember "sustainability" from the 2000s? That "green" shit was in the dumpster by 2010.

Don't be too worried about flavors of the decade. They pass and we get back to business as usual.
>>
What is going to destroy it are social justice warriors. Unfortunately there they are unstoppable, because people are afraid of being called a racist or a bigot even when it's totally unjustified. They will slowly poison everything until everything has turned to shit, and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.
>>
Will diversity in tech kill innovation? Absolutely not
Will forced diversity in tech kill innovation? It's sure as shit not going to help
>>
>>46976217
you could try to not be a scared permavirgin manchild with low self esteem and go out and find a loving gf instead of fearmongering about things that would not concern you the least if you were not so bitter about everything in the world.
>>
/biz/ here, don't worry to much. Know one knows what diversity in tech means yet. Theres at least another decade before the workforce demographics change much in tech.

Maybe more Indian and Chinese guys in the short term, possibly more women.
>>
>>46976240
Reminder: be happily married with a wife and kids and then make a joke about a dongle to a friend, lose your job
>>
>>46976240
>scared permavirgin manchild with low self esteem

That's a nice cool and logical counter argument there you got there, kiddo.
>>
>>46976240
Fuck off Anita.
>>
>>46976237
Was going to say exactly this. Diversity is fine, as long as somebody is qualified, but forced diversity can lead to much less qualified minorities put into jobs not suited for them because of "muh diversity"
>>
File: 172726317.jpg (50 KB, 450x571) Image search: [Google]
172726317.jpg
50 KB, 450x571
>>46976240
>>
>>46976213
I could cite you sources about green roof initiatives in big cities, how pollution is actually going down, city ordinances that are in place and actively expanding to reduce waste and increase preservation of natural resources.

Instead I'm going to call you a faggot and suggest you impale yourself with a hot iron dildo.
>>
>>46976217
>Unfortunately there they are unstoppable, because people are afraid of being called a racist or a bigot even when it's totally unjustified. They will slowly poison everything until everything has turned to shit, and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.
god I can't believe some of the shit you tardies spout lolololololol
>>
>>46975976
It won't do anything but fill useless HR, PR, and web development positions. Innovations are made by engineers, physicists, and mathematicians. None of which are going to be adversely affected by any adversity hires because positions relevant to those fields are strictly a meritocracy. Filthy liberal hipster SJWs can't invade an engineering department because none of them are qualified or intelligent enough. All they can do is shitpost on facebook and twitter about how terrible their cushy first world lifestyle is.
>>
>>46976292
>>
>>46976292
>pretending to be an idiot
>HEHE TROLED U
>WHY SO MAD
>MASTUR TROLE HERE ROFL
>>
>>46976249
nice try to generalize an exception. remember that she lost her job too because of that
>>46976285
>>46976257
>>46976268
>>46976249
mgtow invasion, I see

How's the celibate going?
>>
>>46976240
>being this mad
>>
>>46976355
>telling the truth about bitter MRAs is being mad

What you need is a hug and a kiss. <3
>>
>>46976347
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>46976314
>>46976339
not even trolling. it is actually hilarious watching you weirdos roll this crap out into this shitty little corner of cyberspace.
>>
>>46976446

you're here with us you fucking little bitch, you're just another human that eats and shits. you are nothing special. kill yourself
>>
>>46976347
>ON /G/
>Making fun of someone for being celibate?

TOP KEK!
>>
Are we done with actual responses on this topic or should I leave this thread unhidden for a bit longer?
>>
>>46976478
whose mad now? please keep the laughs coming.
>>
>>46976446
>it is actually hilarious watching you weirdos roll this crap out into this shitty little corner of cyberspace.
Says the person on /g/ trying to feel superior to others on /g/ by calling them weirdos.
God damn you must be quite an outcast in real life if you're reduced to doing that.
>>
File: 0badtroll.jpg (7 KB, 279x267) Image search: [Google]
0badtroll.jpg
7 KB, 279x267
>>46976446
No one is actually this dense
>>
>>46976562
no im perfectly fine thank you very much. on the train home back from work right now in fact.

>>46976575
how am i dense exactly? am i missing all of the sjw bogeymans hiding in all corners waiting to bring the world down?
>>
File: 1425628477464.png (328 KB, 497x658) Image search: [Google]
1425628477464.png
328 KB, 497x658
>>46976553

>whose
>>
>>46976603
Not the same guy but I think I can answer you here. I'm like 90% sure that anon suspected you're a social outcast in real life because you're attempting to feel superior to an anon on an anonymous message board while being an anon on the same anonymous message board. The irony kind of hurts, frankly - hence the anon saying you're a troll.

Secondly, people who start saying "whose mad now" demonstrate not only a lack of grammar (hence the anon who posted the anime post pointing out your error) but also show just how new you are.

Please, feel free to feel superior and spout memes from 2010 like "umad" to me too, anon, if it will make you feel superior.
>>
File: 18302987165.gif (494 KB, 245x136) Image search: [Google]
18302987165.gif
494 KB, 245x136
>>46976717
>>
all in good time
>>
File: 1417216283206.jpg (70 KB, 422x556) Image search: [Google]
1417216283206.jpg
70 KB, 422x556
Diversity isn't going to destroy anything.

Forced diversity will though. Putting people in positions they aren't suited for just to fill some retarded "diversity quota" causes nothing but problems.

If a woman wants to get into tech, I'm all for it. If a black dude wants to be a programmer, hey, more power to you. I think anyone can get into tech, regardless of their gender, race, or background, and I'll support them all the way in their pursuit of their goals.

But if some white dude in management wants to put someone in a position they do not have the experience or qualifications for, just because of their gender or race, in place of someone better for the job, then it's only creating problems. Hell, we already have problems of nepotism and cronyism in the industry, this isn't much better.
>>
>>46975976
First the Chinese and Indians, now Blacks, Hispanics, and women. WHEN EVERYONE HAS A CS DEGREE, NOBODY DOES
>>
programming isn't hard to learn, even blacks, mexicans, and women can do it with ease.

They give raspberry pis to kids in africa and they learn linux easily.

programming
is
not hard

also
>codemonkey
>innovation
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.