[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Apple releases overpriced netbook with literally 1 ports
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
File: gizmondo.png (796 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
gizmondo.png
796 KB, 2560x1440
>Apple releases overpriced netbook with literally 1 ports which handles charging AND USB.
>$1300
>"So slim!"
>"So beautiful!"
>"Apple revolutionized the laptop again"

>Chrome releases Core i5/i7 powerhouse laptop with a sleek build, two USB-C ports in addition to the two normal USB-A ports.
>$1000 for the base model
>"Useless"
>"Overpriced"
>"Stupid"
>>
>Core i5/i7 powerhouse
>ChromeOS
Let me put a 612hp engine in my golf cart.
>>
http://bgr.com/2015/03/11/ios-8-2-features-apple-watch-app-whiners/

>We interrupt your regularly scheduled program to issue a brief plea. Please, for the love of whatever it is you love, stop whining about iOS 8.2 and the new Apple Watch app it added to your home screen. Seriously, we cannot stress enough how absolutely, positively, pathetically ridiculous you sound.

When Apple forces stuff your phone = get over it
When Samsung forces stuff on your phone = bloatware

topkek
>>
File: smug.jpg (95 KB, 724x720) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
95 KB, 724x720
All journalism nowadays is glorified blogging. Why are you so surprised?
>>
>>46973753
well lets face it no one keeps chromeOS
>>
>>46973734
>Chrome OS
if you're not retarded you just install loonix over Chrome OS and never deal with that shit again
>>
>>46973734
>$1300
> USB 2.0

What was Google even thinking? How can they charge so much for a device with a 12 year old standard that had been replaced 4 years ago? At least USB type C, is actually new.
>>
>>46973768
>gizmodo
>journalism
>ever

That place always was an Apple cock-sucking fest.
>>
>>46973734
The Apple whateverbook does look good, it makes for really pretty promo pictures. Much more so than the Chromebook.
The real comparison is with the ASUS Zenbook though, and the Zenbook is a solid machine.
Besides, ChromeOS is a joke.

>>46973774
You tend to have to jump through hoops. Theres really no reason to buy them given the other options on the market.
>>
>>46973797
this. the only reason they're not allowed at apple events anymore is because they were so obsessed about apple that they held on to a stolen prototype.
>>
>>46973777
>>$1300
>> USB 2.0
i think you're looking at the last model
current one is $1000 with 2 usb 3 ports and 2 usb c ports
>>
The main complaint with the Chromebook is the shitty OS you get with it. And face it, the average person is not going to know how to install linux on it to make it useful.
>>
File: 1396897752421s.jpg (12 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1396897752421s.jpg
12 KB, 124x125
>>46973734
>2/13/13

Almost got me
>>
>>46973872
oops meant
>2/21/13
>>
It's cuz the macbook has a 16:10 screen and chromebook doesn't. Google's fault for fucking up.
>>
>>46973734

from a perspective of how it works OOTB, the ShitBook is a lot more useful than a purposely-gimped Pixel.

not that it matters for shit for us, though
>>
>>46973753
Fuck you that would be fun as fuck
>>
never carred amor gizmodo but holy shit 80% of the tech articles mentions Apple products
>>
>>46973734
Why does everybody report on these like they're garbage? The whole point of Chromebooks is that they're developer systems for Google's internal use, and make nice developer systems if you work in other Linux or Cloud centric environments.

I've got to admit the new Pixel looks like a much better replacement for my old MBP than any of Apple's newer offerings.
>>
>>46973734
>Anonymous
>>
>>46974124
Learn regex, install 4chan X and only allow ASCII characters.
>>
>>46973734
>2/21/13
>>
>being surprised writers at a site consisting of 99% upper middle class white San Franciscans suck Apple cock on the regular
>>
>>46973753
>612hp engine in my golf cart
That would be fucking awesome. Retarded, but awesome retarded.
>>
>>46973771
every chromebook in the last 3 years has been locked down to prevent linux installation
this shit is gonna be chromeOS only and i will laugh at the all the tears
>>
>>46974157

And you don't even know. Most newer Intel Chromebooks have coreboot with a SeaBIOS payload that's easily enabled. So any of your newer Chromebnooks are full fledged Linux laptops. Fuck off.
>>
>>46974173
nope, you dont know what you are talking about
enjoy your paperweight
>>
>every chromebook in the last 3 years has been locked down to prevent linux installation
I installed ubuntu on mine last night though
>>
>>46974192
stop this meme, google shill
>>
>>46974189

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chromebook

Lrn2read
>>
>>46974198

Stop your bullshit. Chromebooks are great for cheap Linux computers. ChromeOS is shit but YOU AREN'T FORCED TO USE IT.
>>
>>46974201
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chromebook
>all those red no's
go away schmidt
>>
The ChromeBook Pixel has either 32 GB or 64 GB of flash storage.

For $1000.

Tell me again Apple is the one making overpriced products.

>in b4 Google defense force justifying not having hard drive space, when allof you complain that Apple laptops don't have easily extended/replaced drives
>>
>>46974189
ladies and gentlemen; this is denial.

>typing this from arch on a chromebook pixel as we speak.
>>
>>46974219

>5 yes's plus 3 that support Linux with a simple firmware flash

No you pls go
>>
>>46974228
yes, the old chromebook pixel, from fucking years ago
you cant even boot from flash drives anymore that arent signed as verified recovery flash drives, you mongoloid
>>
>>46974223
What the Pixel lacks in hard drive space it makes up for in powerl

What the Macbook lacks in power it makes up for in hard drive space.

Guess which "problem" is more easily fixed?
>>
>>46974239

Faggot who bought an ARMbook detected. Enjoy YOUR paperweight.
>>
>>46974223
Apple is making overpriced products
but they're not the only one
>>
>>46974252
>being mentally retarded enough to buy a google product
no thats just you
>>
>>46974267
>being mentally retarded enough to not see the value in an affordable Linux computer
>>
>>46974249
>Guess which "problem" is more easily fixed?

Neither, both of those problems have cumbersome solutions.

Both of those laptops are targeted to very specific niches.

The new MacBook is perfectly fine, but it's not everyone.

The new Chromebook Pixel is great for schools and developers who live on the web, but is not for everyone.

/g/ takes this personally, apparently.
>>
>>46974267
>tfw I did this
Fucking sucks man
>>
>>46974275
>Neither, both of those problems have cumbersome solutions.

This is what is called "denial."

Kill yourself.

Adding a bigger hard drive to a Pixel, or inserting a flash drive is easy compared to making up for the Macbook's Core M.

Kill yourself, Apple faggot.
>>
>>46974274
>being retarded to not see the value in a high-end, nice looking, easy to use unix computer
>>
>>46973734
Ofcorse they're breathless, Gobbling all that apple cock they haven't come up for air.
>>
>>46974319
>shilling for apple this hard

Fucking hell
>>
What I don't understand is what can the macbook do that a tablet doesn't. What's the point (from a buyer's pov, not apple), or how do people rationalize that shit?
>>
>>46974332
>shilling for google this hard

Fucking hell
>>
>>46974348

Honestly I don't know. You're getting the performance and battery life of a tablet in a $1300+ laptop. It just doesn't make sense.
>>
>>46974348
>What I don't understand is what can the macbook do that a tablet doesn't
For the average consumer, probably not a whole lot.
>>
>>46973844
So what? The average person doesn't need more. It's the same as a MacBook. You can use the Chromebook for taking notes in class, surfing on the internet, using Facebook etc.
>>
>>46974300
Maybe you should try doing some googling and find all the articles indicating it's a pain in the ass to replace the Chromebook SSD.

And also the fact that no one has tried it yet or down a teardown of the new Chromebook Pixel 2.

But that would require you to do work, and admit you were wrong, and we can't have that.
>>
>>46974223

Pixel has an SD card reader. You can get a UHS-I 128 GB SD card for $100, taking the total up to $1100 for the Pixel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173032&cm_re=sd_card_128_gb-_-20-173-032-_-Product

The SD card will be a bit slower, but it's still 50 MB/s. That's plenty for streaming 4K video, which is far more than you'll need for most purposes. Use the inbuilt flash as your main drive and store media on the SD card. You have OS and applications on speedy flash and lots of storage for media with no noticeable performance hit. No problem.

And you can take out the SD card and share it or carry multiple cards for more storage.

So the Pixel's problem is easily solved. Not so for the MacBook. The CPU can't be upgraded.

Besides, I'd rather have too little storage than too little speed. I'd be fine with being unable to store video on my laptop, but I would NOT be fine with my laptop being barely able to handle a text editor.
>>
>>46974377
>but I would NOT be fine with my laptop being barely able to handle a text editor.
you do realize neither computer has that problem
>>
>>46974354

Guess what... Google's actually doing something useful. Apple makes a fucking 10,000 dollar smartwatch and a 1,400 dollar featherweight piece of crap and people gawk over it.

Meanwhile Google is subsidizing hardware in a way that's making a laptop more affordable to more people and even manages to cater to Linux enthusiasts at the same time.
>>
It can be an expensive SSH Terminal I guess.
>>
how long till the new 15 inch macpros come out

god i wish they still made a 17inch

I don't care about a superlightweight paperthin laptop netbook no matter who makes it and i doubt most people here do either

it's good for what it is and for people who just need their computer to be super portable so they can type documents and look at facebook and want long batter life and a super thin laptop

and that's who it is made for
>>
>>46974371
>and admit you were wrong

Mmhmm. I see you blatantly ignored how the Macbook can make up for having a Core M, a less-powerful architecture than the Core i7 in the Pixel 2.

Please stop posting, faggot.

Even with less storage, the Pixel is a better buy than a Lelbook 1-port.
>>
>>46974401
why are you intentionally leaving out some facts
>>
Duh. Its also how they manage to "invent" shit years after its been available.

Anyone remember when they abandoned the PPC CPU? A Fully 64bit RISC processor they stopped using in favor of an intel 32bit CISC processor. Everyone hailed them for "moving forward"... by using an even older chip design from 25 years ago.
>>
>>46974401
>confirming you shill for google
hahahahaha
i admire them fooling you into supporting them
>affordable
there is that meme again
google doesnt give two shits about linux, if they did chromebooks would come with ubuntu
go suck their dick some more
>>
>>46974415
>the Pixel is a better buy

Sure, as long as you only ever want to run Chrome and don't actually want to use desktop software.
>>
>>46974421
>calls somebody out
>doesn't mention what they are calling out for
>>
>>46974401
>even manages to cater to Linux enthusiasts at the same time.
I don't think this is intentional, and yet people still praise Google for it.
>>
>>46974414
So we all want the old thinkpads/dells with contemporary specs and simple alright designs with no gimmicks.
Sadly we're the minority and that's the reason such things don't exist right now in the market.
>>
>>46973734
>$1000 chomebook

why would you want chrome OS

i am honestly asking
>>
>>46974431

YOU CAN INSTALL FUCKING LINUX. I don't see any reason they would change with the new Pixel.
>>
>>46974401
Guess what... Apple actually doing something useful. Google makes a fucking 1300 dollar laptop with 64gb of storage and people gawk over it.

Meanwhile Apple is innovating the laptop in a way that's making a laptop more modern and practical than a 5 lb brick to more people and even manages to cater to Unix enthusiasts at the same time.
>>
>>46974393

It's hyperbole, but not much. It couldn't really handle a web browser on any big websites, especially given how heavy OS X is with all its effects.

And I doubt it could handle a big word processor. A text editor would be fine, but could it run Word? I hate Word, but it's necessary and I doubt the MacBook could get acceptable performance with it.

>>46974377

There's a flaw in my post. The SD card is not flush with the side of the machine, so trying to use it as storage might damage it. So you would have to carry the card separately, which I would have no problem with but other people might not be willing to do. Or you could get an adapter and use MicroSD.
>>
>>46974452
>Apple is innovating the laptop in a way that's making a laptop more modern and practical

Yeah one USB port/charging port somehow is more practical.
>>
>>46973887
>It's cuz the macbook has a 16:10 screen and chromebook doesn't. Google's fault for fucking up.

why is it square like that

is there a purpose?
>>
>>46974451
why not just buy a computer with more space at a lower price
>>
>>46974452
Chromebook is barely thicker than the rMB and it has a real CPU, multiple USB-C connectors (as well as multiple normal connections) and can be upgraded from babby Chrome OS to a real Linux distro.

Since Chrome OS is based on Gentoo that means the hardware is guaranteed to work with Linux perfectly.
>>
>>46974465
>but could it run Word?
I have no reason to believe otherwise, but I'd love to hear why you think so.
>>
>>46974451

Don't get mad. The person is a troll or an idiot, so you should either laugh at them or pity them.
>>
>>46973762
All this literal shilling is making want to loll myself
>>
>>46974157
>every chromebook in the last 3 years has been locked down to prevent linux installation

wow really, why
>>
>>46974472

I'm not even saying I'd buy the Pixel.

Most newer laptops can be a crapshoot for new hardware. The Pixel at least is made for a Linux env so you are less likely to run into any problems with hardware support.
>>
>>46974450
So you can install Linux on it.
>>
>>46974468
Give it a few years. This is just like the first Air.
>>
>>46974504
I understand you can install Linux on these machines but that is not their intended purpose.
Why on earth would Google make a $1000 facebook machine? Why would anyone buy it? What is the point of it?
>>
>>46974377
>Pixel has an SD card reader.

implying using an SD card on a separate drive letter is not slow as fuck compared to a real SSD on a SATA bus

implying it's not annoying as fuck to have a tiny boot drive on a $1000 computer you are actually trying to get shit done on

enjoy having the latency of a 5400 rpm drive
>>
>>46974452
>cater to Unix enthusiasts at the same time.

No. Just no. Darwin is a shitty BSD distro. I'll take Cygwin over Fink any day of the week if i want OSS on a proprietary operating system.
>>
>>46974486

I've used a Thinkpad Yoga. It's a disgrace to the Thinkpad name, but that's another story. It has the same processor, and it lagged like a bitch on Word and on heavy websites.

And the benchmarks suck.
>>
>>46974465
>And I doubt it could handle a big word processor. A text editor would be fine, but could it run Word? I hate Word, but it's necessary and I doubt the MacBook could get acceptable performance with it.

come on man

>implying it's the computer that can't "handle" a website and not the poorly coded 4mb js bullshit on most huge pages that is annoying on any computer
>>
>>46974198
Fucking die, Apple shill
>>
>>46974527
>Why on earth would Google make a $1000 facebook machine?
Because people are stupid. Do you know how much money people drop on computers, only to browse 4chan and watch anime on it?
>>
I find it absolutely hilarious people are defending the Chromebook Pixel by claiming you can use an SD card to expand it. Unironically.

Also, "you can install Linux on it" is not a defense of a computer with a 32 GB SSD.

What planet do you live on where anyone would want to do this except as a joke?
>>
they'll probably sell around a hundred or so of those new pixel chrome books, they also roughly how many they produced.
>>
>>46974411
>how long till the new 15 inch macpros come out
>god i wish they still made a 17inch

tfw no good 17 inch laptops anyomre

i never take mine out of my house, i would like a 20 inch
>>
>>46974554

About $200 in my case. Works beautifully.
>>
>>46974543
>It has the same processor
Is it that really enough for you to have doubts?
>>
>>46974300
Stop being rude you fucking underage child
>>
>>46974564
i don't even know why they advertise these things, they're basically internal company dev machines anyway that's why they make so few.
>>
>>46974527
If Apple is allowed to make $1000 Facebook machines then why isn't Google?

Only an Apple apologist would point to the Chromebook Pixel as some kind of herring.
>>
>>46974414

touchscreen on any laptop with a traditionally hinged keyboard is retarded
>>
>>46974586
1400*
>>
>>46974564
Likewise, most of /g/ finds it hilarious that Apple is selling a $1300 netbook with Core M and one port.
>>
>>46974576
$200 for a computer that all you're doing to do is browse the internet and maybe word process or play flash games on completely makes sense.
$1000 however, does not. For $1000 I'm expecting a fully-featured machine that I can do just about anything on.

>>46974586
Apple's computers are all ridiculously overpriced hipster machines for idiots.
>>
>>46974586
the apple one is actually a real laptop

google has a premium chromebook with a very limited market to appeal to

and here we are...
>>
>>46974189
> I don't understand what this anon is saying
> YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT HAHAHAHA
> LALALALALA

I didn't know 3-year-olds could come on /g/
>>
>>46974528

>separate drive letter
>drive letter

Spotted the Windows user, everyone!

Linux doesn't work that way. It has no drive letters. You can mount a filesystem anywhere you want.

And I deliberately stated you'd use it for media. Make it your videos folder and have everything else on your SSD. It has plenty of speed for video. There's a maximum bandwidth for video and there's little reason to go past it.

I've since realized that it actually isn't a good solution because the card would stick out and get broken if you put the laptop in a bag. But it would be fast enough, so it would be a fine solution if you don't mind carrying cards separately or using an adapter so it doesn't stick out so much.
>>
File: told in the 80s.png (63 KB, 1246x1194) Image search: [Google]
told in the 80s.png
63 KB, 1246x1194
Why is it that every single anti-Apple zealot judges computer systems entirely on hardware specs while completely ignoring the value of software?

OS X is just as big a selling point for Mac buyers as is the hardware. It's the symbiotic, harmonious, efficient, tightly integrated, and meticulously engineered relationship between the two that makes Apple unique in an industry dominated by "one-size-fits-all" software platforms trying to run on as many different pieces of silicon as possible.

And besides, no one gives a fuck about a "powerhouse laptop" if all it runs is a glorified Web browser. That is the definition of a "locked-down toy OS."
>>
>>46974606
>apple one is actually a real laptop
kek
>>
If I were to buy a form over function laptop it would probably be the pixel (although I would use linux on it).
It's definitely aesthetically pleasing, partially because of minimal branding, and has decent specs too.
Although like any "fancy" laptop the screen is glossy, which is a real dealbreaker for me. It's a touchscreen too so aside from adding to the cost for something I wouldn't use it also drains the battery.
The keyboard is also oddly laid out but it's manageable for being a laptop I won't be doing work on.
It also doesn't have physical mouse buttons which I really hate. I always manage to accidentally click when using someone else's laptop.
Overall 7/10.
>>
>>46974605
>For $1000 I'm expecting a fully-featured machine that I can do just about anything on.
Not gonna get that with a Pixel
>>
>>46974451
>YOU CAN INSTALL FUCKING LINUX. I don't see any reason they would change with the new Pixel.

you don't understand who Apple is marketing to

the average person who makes 50k per year and has kids and a non-tech related job and wants a thin laptop is willing to pay a little more for something with nice fit and finish that is easy to use and has a local store where they are not dicks to you if you bring in your computer and ask a stupid question about how to do something

that person can barely find his or her email if you delete the shortcut, he or she is happy to may many hundreds of dollars to not have to fucking install and learn linux

i mean come on
>>
I'll buy it the second I can put something that's not ChromeOS on it, until then it is fucking worthless.
>>
>>46974630
>Not gonna get that with a Pixel
Or a "Macbook."
>>
>>46974622
>Why is it that every single anti-Apple zealot judges computer systems entirely on hardware specs while completely ignoring the value of software?
Great question.
>>
>>46974630
Yes, obviously.

I'm clearly of the opinion that both systems are worthless out-of-the-box and are overpriced trash.
>>
>>46974642
Go ahead, tell me what I can't do on my computer.
>>
which website of these 3 is the biggest apple shill site?

engadget
gizmodo
bgr
>>
File: 1386034680199.jpg (18 KB, 396x303) Image search: [Google]
1386034680199.jpg
18 KB, 396x303
Is there any tech news site that doesn't have an apple bias?
/g/ doesn't count
>>
>>46974665
Connect to more than one port without an $80 dongle.
>>
>>46974676
what computer do you think I have
>>
>>46974580
Hey there, friend! I'm not sure if you realised, but you're on the 'World Wide Web' at the moment! If you're unsure how you got here, or didn't intend to be here, that's ok, click the cross at the top right-hand corner of the window. You can then go back to living in the Gumdrop Forest fantasy world you apparently live in where people are polite, kind and respectful at all times, even when they can say hurtful things as faceless anonymous beings without retribution.

Otherwise, try a teaspoon of cement once a day until you harden the fuck up.
>>
>>46974613
>Linux doesn't work that way. It has no drive letters. You can mount a filesystem anywhere you want.

try putting everything across a fucking nice SSD on your SATA drive in conjunction with using an SD card

then try the SSD alone

SSDs are fast as fuck and there is no reason to do this to yourself when nice name brand SSDs are under $200 for 128gb+
>>
>>46974622
Because as power users we don't care about shit working seamlessly between devices we don't care about, ie iphone with imac and other apple products.

its a doubled edged sword too, everyone hates itunes, its a long running joke how much of a POS it is and there are no alternatives to it for the majority of people or how common it is for iphone owners to root their phones just to change basic level shit everyone else can just do in their settings.

>this is our vision of a PC and OS, and if you don't like it, fuck you.
>>
>>46974670
All of them

All of them try to be as favorable as possible to keep getting invites to Apple press events.
>>
>>46974549

I'm not claiming there should be websites slow enough that this thing can't run them. However, it's just the reality of the industry that those sites exist. Your computer being unable to run them is a problem even if they shouldn't exist.

Being able to run bloated shit is necessary because you have to run all sorts of bloated shit on a daily basis.

>>46974554

$150 (plus about $150 in upgrades and repairs over several years)

Feels good.

Of course, I also have a desktop which I use for various projects and light gaming. It's also not fast, but it's fast enough for my purposes. That cost ~$400.

>>46974577

To have doubts? Absolutely. Not enough to reach a conclusion.

You're probably right that saying it won't be able to handle normal applications is premature, but I wouldn't be surprised if it can't.

>>46974564

Something wrong with SD card expansion? What is the problem? You'll notice absolutely no slowdown if you use it intelligently.

And 32 GB would be fine for me, because my current computer has only 19 GB used. I don't collect files.
>>
>>46974671
Techmeme
Daring Fireball
Google Android blog
>>
>>46974671

toms hardware maybe
>>
>>46974685
I don't care which computer you have.

This thread is about the Pixel and the new "Macbook."

Stop being a narcissist.
>>
>>46974319
>being retarded enough to not see that
double value = quality/price;

>and that Apple's price-gouging means 0<value<1 will always be true
>>
File: 16.jpg (4 MB, 3651x2577) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
4 MB, 3651x2577
This is the best laptop there is.

I just got a second chromebook last week. I am using a samsung chromebook (xe550c22) with an 8GB RAM and 128GB mSATA SSD. I went into developer mode, shorted the write protect jumper, and flashed SeaBIOS. From there I did a fresh crunchbang install on the new SSD and configured a VM with windows 7 for misc tasks. I have to configure the trackpad a little better but I use a USB mouse anyway. It is a beast. I have a 4GB RAM Windows VM going with firefox and graphics tools in the background and my RAM never hits 6GB. For a $250 machine I'm impressed.

But then this monster comes out. The BIOS process on the newer chromebooks is hella simplified, and I believe the driver support has improved. From a hardware perspective I couldn't ask for more.
>>
>>46974703
I don't think you know what that word means
>>
>>46974605
>>46974586

you are paying for how thin it is and the support

a soccer mom can take it to the apple store and someone will help her figure out how do do things with it like print or find files or whatever

that's what you are paying for

apple is not marketing that thing to techies
>>
>>46974714
>This is the best laptop there is.
For you
>>
>>46974688
>using windows
faggot
>>
>>46974714
rip
>>
>>46974689

There is literally no noticeable performance penalty if you do it correctly. Put media on your slow storage and applications on the fast storage. You only need about 10 MB/s for 4K video, so 50 MB/s is plenty fast for any sort of video.

I actually do practically the same thing. I get almost all my files off a NAS, which offers considerably slower speeds than the SD card. Launching an application off it would be stupid, which is why it stores things that don't need speed. Like video.

If you're putting "everything" across an SD card and a fast SSD you'll notice problems, but there is no reason to do that. Just store things that don't need speed and you will never notice a problem.
>>
>>46974721
>I
Nice non-retort.

Once again, this isn't about you.

>>46974731
>you are paying for how thin it is and the support
This is bullshit.
You are paying for the logo and the MUH FIRST-GEN BETA TESTA
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc
>>
>>46974693

im sure it will display websites just as well as any other 13 laptop be realistic
>>
>>46974625
if they had a dual boot windows version with an actual storage device it'd pass as a real laptop and not a souped up novelty with a gimmick OS.
>>
>>46974622

A car with a shitty engine and a nice interior is still a shitty car.

If OSX is that great, Remind me again how many servers use OSX Server? Oh right. less than 1%. Yeah, Its just a super OS.
>>
>>46974731
>you are paying for how thin it is
Why is it being easy to break a feature?
>>
>>46974753
>beta test

i actually cant wait for this to be released to see what the problems will be.

will it be bad screens? faulty touchpads? subpar performance that even normal people recognize?
>>
>>46974157
pretty sure you can use crouton on any chromebook regardless
>>
you can tell who is a newfag on /g/ now based on if they don't remember the original macbook air introduction.
>>
>>46974714

>celeron

>>46974751
>There is literally no noticeable performance penalty if you do it correctly. Put media on your slow storage and applications on the fast storage. You only need about 10 MB/s for 4K video, so 50 MB/s is plenty fast for any sort of video.

>implying all anyone does with their computers is boot then access static media

are you my mom or something? this is how old people use computers

playing vidya or running virtual machines of SD cards... or basically doing anything most of us actually do bedsides looking at photos on our hds

try it bro, go run a virtual machine off an SD card and get back to me
>>
Sure is consumerism in here

Reminder that if you waste your money on the new macbook, you shouldn't be on /g/

>"xD poorfag is mad "
>"he doesn't appreciate innovation "
>"have fun with your ugly brick laptop "

>>>/fa/

What kind of fuckwit would think that this 2lb pile of aluminum shit paperweight is worth 1300 dollars?
>>
>>46974792
/thread
>>
>>46973734
Despite the mac shilling, gotta admit that Chrome OS is fucking garbage.
>>
>>46974622

The majority of people (though not all) on here are very strange people. Most of them are socially dysfunctional. Many don't have regular employment or money, so they are forced to use lower tier computers and gadgets. I would say with a pretty high degree of confidence that most people here have never slept with a girl.

These people HATE those who they perceive to be successful in life, or even those who are just relatively normal (hence the term "normalfag"). They seethe with jealous rage and live their entire lives festering in bitterness at those who get to enjoy emotions such as happiness and triumph and companionship in their lives. This is why they hate Apple. Apple are the ultimate symbol of everything that the /g/ dweller despises - success, being socially well-adjusted, enjoying life, etc.

So yeah. My advice to you is this: get out of here while you can.
>>
>>46974805
>le consumerism XD

you are a tool
>>
>>46974690
>how common it is for iphone owners to root their phones just to change basic level shit

This might've been true in the first few years of iOS, but now there's pretty much nothing left that the average user would need it to do without jailbreaking (other than a possible file browser).

I doubt iTunes is really "Apple's vision" anymore so much as it's just been horribly neglected over the past several years while they coasted on strong Store sales. I'm thinking that their revamped Beats service will include a totally new media player oriented around streaming and iCloud synchronization rather than file downloads and device-to-device sync.
>>
>>46974775
yeah but it's an example of a company privately developing a BSD geared toward desktop use, why would it be used on a server when freebsd solaris and redhat exist?
>>
>>46974622

if i were steve jobs i would have literally put my foot up bills ass
>>
>>46974759

kek
>>
>>46974688
wow you sound actually mad

are you okay anon? what happened..
>>
>>46974775
If Linux is that great, Remind me again how many desktops use Linux? Oh right. less than 1%. Yeah, Its just a super OS.
>>
>>46973762
HOW DARE YOU THINK RATIONALLY WHEN IT COMES TO APPLE PRODUCTS

Fuckin Steve Jobs's reality distortion field holds true even though he's been dead for more than 3 years
>>
>>46974775

>if a desktop OS is great for personal use by people who usually have a hard time using computers then why has it not been adopted by the content server industry to blindly serve up content for webpates?

I DON"T KNOW GOOD QUESTION YOU MUST BE REAL FUCKING SMART
>>
>>46974826

https://www.apple.com/osx/server/

Geared to Desktops you say?
>>
>>46973734
They're both evil machines, designed by literal cults to control the people who use them.
>>
The faggots that hate Apple are equally as bad as the faggots that evangelize them
>>
>>46974622
>And besides, no one gives a fuck about a "powerhouse laptop" if all it runs is a glorified Web browser. That is the definition of a "locked-down toy OS."
anyone on /g/ who has a chromebook actually running chromeos should leave
that point is only really relevant for the casual users, most of whom would have no use for the pixel
>>
>>46973734
Apple is very controlling of who is allowed at their press release meetings, and who gets their hands on products for review, one of the gizmodo writers once wrote on his blog a very extensive thing about it 3 years ago, and just recently talked about how saying "new innovation from apple" in a news article, would lead to huge increase in article traffic. which in turn leads to add revenue for them.

Apple has done some creative things, so people always look forward to the NEW thing they are doing, Sadly though for the last 5 years, all they have managed to do is make a laptop stupid thin, and garbage can pc.......... it seems for every 15 claims of new innovations only one is an innovation and it technically wasn't there's to begin with like say... Intel's thunderbolt port......

Marques Brownlee on youtube even mentioned it in one of his videos 2-3 years ago about how controlling apple can be when it comes to journalist reviews of their products.
>>
>>46974887
see this would be bad if tech journalism wasn't so awful
>>
>>46974860
>people who usually have a hard time using computers
So you're saying that Macfags actually don't have any idea what they're doing at all? I expected that, but it's nice to have confirmation.
>>
>>46973753

You make it sound like nobody has bolted a big block to a golf cart.
>>
>>46974734
You rumbled me, I don't know how you guessed my sexual preference from my operating system preferences alone! Are you a wizard? Although in saying that, if I had said close using the red circle in the top left, someone else would've called me a faggot for using OSX. I guess literally everyone who posts on /g/ ever is homosexual.

>>46974851
Not even a touch mad, anon. Just unsure of why people expect other people to be civil on 4chan of all places. ON /g/ OF ALL PLACES.
>>
>>46974753
>You are paying for the logo and the MUH FIRST-GEN BETA TESTA

>the logo

because if you were an older upper middle class person with a nontech job who just wanted a nice thin computer... the only difference between OS X which is sold by a store that provides personal human customer service when you have questions and a cheap plastic netbook running windows with zero recourse when you don't know how to remove all the fucking adware "pay $XX to get a macafee licence or this thing will get infected in 10mins" bullshit on it is

"the logo"
>>
File: xerox.big.png (21 KB, 1024x808) Image search: [Google]
xerox.big.png
21 KB, 1024x808
>>46974622
>1981
>>
File: 2257634.jpg (85 KB, 523x440) Image search: [Google]
2257634.jpg
85 KB, 523x440
>>46973734
Why do you even need a i7 for linux.. You can't even play games
>>
>>46974921
>muh genius bar

The Mac "Geniuses" are literally there to Google whatever problem a Mac user is having. It's there for retards.

This is /g/.

Why are you advocating for retards as an advantage for the Apple machine on /g/?
>>
>>46974932
You can't fit large video files, can't fit a VM and oh wait, there's the 1TB free Google Drive. Now get fucked appleshill.
>>
>>46974932
>processing power is only for playing video games
>>
>>46974929
How come there was sudden rush of commercial GUI operating systems only after the Mac and not the Star?
>>
>>46974900
>So you're saying that Macfags actually don't have any idea what they're doing at all? I expected that, but it's nice to have confirmation.

yes the primary market for Apple is well off people who can afford a $900 cell phone, a $2000 laptop and $1000 of other random apple shit and just want it all to work and to have a nice local store to go with questions

that has been their main market for a long time

in the process they make nice hardware that most of us can appreciate

>are you telling me the average porshe buyer is is actually not interested in working on his car and even though he could buy a used camaro and put NOS on it and have a faster car?!?!?
>>
>>46974932
Source/GoldSrc games run great on Linux even with Arrandale iGPUs. Not sure how well the Pixel would cool itself, though.
>>
>>46974950
>The Mac "Geniuses" are literally there to Google whatever problem a Mac user is having. It's there for retards.

but they are there, and they will fix it

>>46974950
>Why are you advocating for retards as an advantage for the Apple machine on /g/?

i am just explaining that the fact they target a different market does not make their products bad

why would /g/ care if someone is willing to pay more for ease of use and customer service ?
>>
>>46974955
But powerful data crunching also needs bigger storage. Now what.
>>
>>46974963
Because that's the time it took to catch up to Xerox and Apple just happened to be the second out of the gate
>>
>>46974855

First. Linux desktop market share is about on par with OSX at ~1.5%. So what was your point?

Second. I made no claims about Linux being "better". Just that OSX is crap.

Also because no one apparently knows a god damn thing about operating systems; Apple used Project Darwin as the base of OSX. It's package management system is APT which of course started in Debian Linux. Along with all the GNU utils like Bash, CUPS, MAKE, GCC etc. Don't rag on OSS and Linux to much because OSX is built on top of the same shit.
>>
>>46974985

what personal computer operating system was Xerox selling at that time?
>>
>>46974980
>the fact they target a different market does not make their products bad

>why would /g/ care

/g/ doesn't care.
Until you come here, to a community full of people who know what the fuck they are doing, and advocate that everyone respect your decision to buy a machine for the ability to take it to a "Genius."
>>
Chrome OS is useless so yeah
>>
File: mac.jpg (91 KB, 600x621) Image search: [Google]
mac.jpg
91 KB, 600x621
>>46974954
kekscrub u use Xeon for that not toy i5 baby first processor
>>
>>46974965
> Drive past bitches driving a slick Porsche, get laid
> Show bitches your new screenplay on your slick Macbook Air, get condescending looks as the fanless cooling system overheats trying to open it and melts through the Starbucks table it's resting on.
>>
>>46974994
>OSX is crap.

it's really not though
>>
File: xerox-star-interface2.jpg (144 KB, 800x697) Image search: [Google]
xerox-star-interface2.jpg
144 KB, 800x697
>>46974999
The Xerox Star, a workstation, which became widely imitated in the PC market
>>
>>46975011

i personally don't like super thin laptops of any kind and i would never buy a computer thinking it's going to help me pick up girls wtf

as to what we are talking about it's more like:

>Buy BMW 5 series, never go anywhere but work and the grocey store, should have bought a KIA, it's not like you can't get to the grocery store in a KIA
>>
>>46973734
I'd be all over the Pixel if they had one with a decent amount of storage space.
>>
>>46974822
>there's pretty much nothing left that the average user would need it to do without jailbreaking
Emulators?
>>
>>46975036

why did they stop making computers just when the world started dying to have them?
>>
File: cheetahs.jpg (75 KB, 468x701) Image search: [Google]
cheetahs.jpg
75 KB, 468x701
>>46974975
>2014+1 year of our lord
>thinking games from before Germany invaded Poland make Linux good
>>
>>46975058
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Star#Marketing_and_commercial_reception
>>
>>46975000
>your decision to buy a machine for the ability to take it to a "Genius."
>your

part of the price is having people in town to help the end user

I would never buy one, but i know that is a huge part of the cost

>tfw no retail location staffed with cute smiling teenagers to help me with my rasberry pi
>>
>>46975081
>needing human interaction

>/g/

You simply don't belong here.
>>
>>46975000
>/g/
>knowing what the fuck they are doing

I don't actually mean this, just felt I had to shitpost this before someone else does.
>>
its because chrome OS is a giant piece of shit and you cant even do anything on it but browse the web.
>>
>>46973753
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQIizRp9ck

related
>>
>>46975092

>not wanting to have a 17yo girl show you how to solder while touching your hand

why
>>
>>46975105

>144p

What the actual fuck
>>
Only assblasted poor Linux fags shill /g/ upset they're to clinically overweight earn minimum wage and buy a macbook air
>>
why did google even want to make a full desktop OS

what were they thinking
>>
>>46975123

That's better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM
>>
>>46975125

i am a richfag and i literally do not want a laptop as thin as a fucking magazine at any price

there is no way i would not break it
>>
File: 1383620427708.gif (2 MB, 320x176) Image search: [Google]
1383620427708.gif
2 MB, 320x176
>>46975125
>BTFO
>>
>>46974157
Crouton is still a thing
>>
>>46973734
Muh minimalism
>>
>>46974751
>I actually do practically the same thing. I get almost all my files off a NAS, which offers considerably slower speeds than the SD card. Launching an application off it would be stupid, which is why it stores things that don't need speed. Like video.

i cant fit an OS and all my applications needed on a main computer on 64 gigs
>>
>>46974189
>LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
>CAN'T HEAR YOU
>NOPE
>>
>>46975197

Excluding entertainment media a typical Linux install is only ~3-4GB decked out. Leaves plenty of space to mess around with.
>>
>>46975238

just kerbal space is like 30gb bro

and that's not even getting into adobe or office software

do you really have under 10gb of programs you use?
>>
>>46975012

I'd love to hear your well informed reasons for saying its not crap that aren't a direct result of repackaged OSS software.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with the new macbook.
The new chromebook pixel, on the other hand, is a complete piece of shit. Do not buy.
>>
>>46975288
Agreed.
>>
>>46973734

In Gizmodo's defense (that hurts to say), the original Google ChromeBook was priced at $1799 and other than the screen, was underwhelming in every way.

Ever met a happy ChromeBook owner? Neither have I.
>>
File: monochrome faggot.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
monochrome faggot.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>46974319
>nice-looking
It's tacky and tasteless.

Your move.
>>
>>46975262

Yes. GIMP, Krita, etc aren't very big. LibreOffice and maybe Kingsoft as a backup, still not a lot of space taken.
>>
>>46973734

the 2013 ChromeBook sucked dick and nobody should buy it.

Every non-Googlefuccboi review said so.
>>
>>46974733
>>46974735
>>46974802
I meant the new pixel is the best, not my cheap 2012 cb
>>
>>46975271

It is the most stable OS for retail desktop users, it is not a resource pig as it does not try to do everything for everyone as windows does, it is created for the hardware it ships with unlike windows or linux with is generic and capable of running on many types of hardware but often needs to be tweaked to get to where OSX is out of the box (most end users cant do that) your new OSX computer will never ask you to pay a third party an annual fee to prevent viruses...

it is developed specifically with other hardware such as the i phone to work seamlessly for people who don't like to tinker

It is Unix based and thus you can mess around with command prompts if you like

As far as a retail personal computer operating system, it has no major glaring flaws, it works and is stable and many people like it, compared to Windows or Linux for a retail end user who does not enjoy tinkering with computers in his or her free time.....

it's probably the best OS out there

for a non-techy... who has a life and is busy and just needs it to work... why is it "shit"

>esp considering the only real alternative is windows for the average person
>>
>>46975315

just admit you don't use your computer for anythnig but web browsing and we will call it even

>GIMP
>Implying anyone on earth actually uses gimp for anything past what can be done in MS Paint
>>
Both are overpriced facebook machines tbh
>>
>>46973753
>>46974072
>>46974154
Toot toot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPElJugWK5Y
>>
what can a rolex do a gshock can't?
>>
>>46975432
this, the Price of Software is already included in the Hardware
>>
>>46975432
>It is the most stable OS
debian
>it is not a resource pig
see above
>it is created for the hardware it ships
and yet it still manages to fuck up getting everything to work right
>your new OSX computer will never ask you to pay a third party an annual fee to prevent viruses...
>muh no viruses
OS X has malware too
If you want to be a faggot about this though, neither does debian
>it is developed specifically with other hardware such as the i phone to work seamlessly for people who don't like to tinker
>for people who don't like to tinker
this is a pro?
>It is Unix based and thus you can mess around with command prompts if you like
again, debian
>it works
poorly
>and is stable
still not as stable as debian
>and many people like it
and many people have shit taste
>>
>>46975482
>>>46975432 (You)
>>It is the most stable OS
>debian

the average retail user cannot purchase a debian system

and in installing it on new unknown hardware and trying to get it to work with a phone and all your old programs, as a retail non techy user it's going to be a chore and require a lot more restarts and cause a lot more conflicts than OSX synching with an iphone

you are just being dishonest or can't imagine not being a computer hobbyist

as far as operating systems that come on computers that you can buy with a warranty for every day life and whose manual basically says "open box, turn on computer, enter your name and wifi password, ok you are done"

telling someone "ok first you need to format your hard drive and then download this free nerd OS from a bootable drive..which you have to obtain in ISO format on a boot medium...then you go into your BIOS and ...

most people would pay hundreds of dollars extra to not have to do that shit get real
>>
>>46975482

>used debian in college
>professor recommended it over anything but still wanted us to venture into different distros
>still come back to it after going around

it's a solid OS
>>
>>46975477

people who say "it's shit" think that them not liking it means it's objectively a poor operating system from a technical point of view

from a technical point of view, it is a thing of beauty

it's exactly what a theoretical linux OS would be if linux fags could ship hardware made and tweaked for a refined distro of linux
>>
>>46975564
>the average retail user cannot purchase a debian system
https://www.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed
>and in installing it on new unknown hardware and trying to get it to work with a phone and all your old programs, as a retail non techy user it's going to be a chore and require a lot more restarts and cause a lot more conflicts than OSX synching with an iphone
you dumb nigger
why would OEMs sell laptops with hardware that aren't compatible with the default operating system
>synching with an iphone
iPhones are shit
enjoy you're no USB mass storage
>as far as operating systems that come on computers that you can buy with a warranty for every day life and whose manual basically says "open box, turn on computer, enter your name and wifi password, ok you are done"
still debian
>telling someone "ok first you need to format your hard drive and then download this free nerd OS from a bootable drive..which you have to obtain in ISO format on a boot medium...then you go into your BIOS and ...
but you don't need to do that
just purchase a laptop with debian installed
>>
>>46975482
>and yet it still manages to fuck up getting everything to work right

yeah OSX just "fucks up" all day all the time

this is an honest assessment

also it's unstable right?
>>
>>46975628

i don't dislike debian

but it's a long way from "debian is a nice OS for some people"

to

OS X is objectively "shit"
>>
>>46975628
>enjoy you're no USB mass storage

ok?

wtf
>>
>all these people complaining about USB Type C
How will it feel in 12 months when every new device and accessory is using it? Have fun being the one with compatibility issues.
>>
>>46975681
when you get an iPhone, it only works with iTunes, it doesn't show up as a USB drive
it isn't like any other regular phone, you can't just plug it in and drag and drop crap, you are forced to use iTunes
>>
>>46975628

yes a text list of dealers who make generic computers and throw a debian distro on the hd before shipping ....

is the same thing as the Apple's integrated ecosystem of hardware and software and support
>>
>>46975717

for the average person what is wrong with itunes

>implying people use them as mp3players anymore and don't use phones as texting machines and browsers fro the web
>>
relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc
>>
>>46975628
>https://www.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed

did you even check that list bro

https://www.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed#us

>links don't work
>rack servers for sale
>other sites look like they were done by a lazy teenager on geocites in 1997
>basically demonstrating this shit is not ready for the retail personal computer market by a long way

a very long way

i like linux but come fucking on

>2015
>the year of the linux desktop
>this time we mean it

http://www.emperorlinux.com/mfgr/lenovo/toucan/
>>
>>46975770
Itunes is a legitimately bloated program.
Even normalfags hate having to use itunes to put stuff on their ipod/phone.
>>
>>46975846

ok so -1 for itunes

nothing is perfect

i actually really like OSX, it's like someone finished out a Linux distro in the way only ten billion dollars of development can...

if the worst people can say when asked why they think OS X is a shitty operating system from an objective standpoint and they start coming up with "well if you also have an iphone the iphone wants you to use itunes which works fine but i feel takes up too many resources"

i would say that says a lot about it being good, not proves the operating system is shitty for meaningful reasons
>>
>>46975634
>yeah OSX just "fucks up" all day all the time
https://web.archive.org/web/20081204224509/http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/18162.html
>"[Mach] contains all the design mistakes you can make, and manages to even make up a few of its own."
https://plus.google.com/+JunioCHamano/posts/1Bpaj3e3Rru
>Quite frankly, HFS+ is probably the worst filesystem ever. Christ what shit it is. NTFS used to have similar issues with canonicalizing utf8 (ie using non-canonical representations of slashes etc). I think they at least fixed them. The OS X problems seem to be fundamental.
>>
>>46975936

>malformatted blog archive from 7 years ago proves the perfectly stable OS X is unstable and shitty

are you even trying
>>
>>46975916
>"well if you also have an iphone the iphone wants you to use itunes which works fine but i feel takes up too many resources"

Not to mention it's a complete load of horseshit because iOS hasn't required iTunes since like 2011.

It'd be nice for /g/ to come up with arguments for why they hate Apple software so much that aren't hilariously dated and ignorant.
>>
>>46975963
>malformatted blog archive
nigga, it's the register, a news site
>from 7 years ago
The Register fucked up/modernized their website, and the article got lost. I had to dig it up from archive.org
>>
>>46975936
I can see the headlines now.

>Millions of Once-Happy Mac Users Riot in the Streets After Linux Programmer's Filesystem Complaints
>>
>>46973734
They're two different reviewers. The guy on the left could think the new MacBook is shit for all you know. Can't you into constant variables?
>>
>>46973762

>Add an application which nearly no one uses to take up icon space everyone needs.
>Don't let them delete it.

>Expect there to be no problems.

What is the logic behind this?
>>
>>46974189
>Lal, noep try hardur, screb,
>lehl.
>I am so smrt.
>>
>>46975916
>locked down OS
>annoying as fuck to develop in
>stupid, non standard UEFI boot loader
>installing gentoo is quicker than getting an account for xcode

For development, Apple products are actually a nuisance to configure and get a nice ecosystem rolling.

There are plenty of more reasons why one might not want to use it because of the operating system itself.

tl;dr: normal fags will always and forever get away with using any modern OS, as long as it can play videos through the web and to check e-mails.
>>
>>46976166
>WAAAAAHHHH I CAN'T RUN OS X ON MY $500 CHINKTOP/CHINKPAD
>>
If Lenovo released a Thinkpad with a 2560x1700 3:2 screen and 12 hours of battery life for $1000 /g/ would be all over it, but nope, the new Pixel is shit because it's from le botnet company when Lenovo is the one who actually sells their customer's data to advertisers.
>>
>>46973734
>macbook
you cant even play games on that piece of shit so why would you even want it.
its only good for notepad. phones can do what it does.
>>
>>46976383
/g/ - Video Game Technology
>>
File: BtpsvUDIYAEGNWb.jpg (13 KB, 249x386) Image search: [Google]
BtpsvUDIYAEGNWb.jpg
13 KB, 249x386
>>46974733
>>
>>46976455
if you cant play games on it. that means its not powerful.
>>
>>46976310
It can't run Windows and the keyboard is shit.
>>
>>46976474
>running Windows
nice meme
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.