[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most /g/ approved free encryption software?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
What's the most /g/ approved free encryption software? Looking for something that can encrypt files and an entire hybrid drive.
>>
>>46928145
dm-crypt
>>
all encryption software has backdoors

prove me wrong

or better: prove edward snowden wrong
>>
>>46928210
Snowden himself gave examples of encryption that doesn't have backdoors.

One signature line from him is that properly implemented crypto is one thing that can stop the NSA.

>>46928145
DM-crypt/LUKS.

Truecrypt 7.1a is good too- fully audited, reproducible binary. Do not get 7.2
>>
Don't know about /g/ but I use TrueCrypt (7.1a) and am happy with it.

Tried VeraCrypt but it was slow as fuck to boot from (2 minutes at the fastest setting while TrueCrypt is near instant).
>>
>>46928316
>Do not get 7.2

To clarify: 7.2 is basically just an uninstaller to decrypt everything again.
It was made by the NSA after they murdered the TrueCrypt developers.
>>
>>46928394
Where can we find a safe download link for that
>>
OP here. Tried truecrypt 7.1a but it can't encrypt GPT drives and converting my drive isn't really an option.
>>
Should have also mentioned that I'm running windows 8
>>
I run GNU/Linux, but dm-crypt/LUKS seems like so much work and I'm just afraid in general of doing something wrong.
>>
Truecrypt 7.1 has been thoroughly audited and deemed safe. It's vulnerable to methods like cold boot attacks, but most any software would be. If you're really worried about something like that, you can always burn a TC rescue disc and use it to boot instead of putting the TC bootloader on your hard drive.

I don't think there's any full-volume support on Linux, though. You can created encrypted file containers, but not encrypt the entire OS. You'd have to use a filesystem approach like LUKS for that.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.