[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When was the last time you used optical media?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4
File: cd.jpg (391 KB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
cd.jpg
391 KB, 2576x1932
When was the last time you used optical media?
>>
Yesterday,I had to instal linux
>>
>>46919269
This. Sometimes formatting and getting an image can take some work.
>inb4 dd if=.iso of=partition
doesn't always work. it's.much easier to insert a cheap dvd and burn it in k3b and reboot than to install to usb most of the time.
>>
>>46919264
My car doesn't have an aux jack, I need to burn CDs for it. I hate it.
>>
2008-ish.
>>
>>46919264
right now
archives
>>
Made a dvd for my sister's film project a month or two ago
>>
I used one when I built my pc to make sure the drive worked.
>>
>>46919379
SAME
>>
>>46919407
your post just gave me cancer
>>
To install the drivers for my HP printer.
>>
>>46920334
heheh. my old pioneer radio gave me the same problem. i upgraded tha receiver & now i can use sweet, sweet usb drives. nice sandisk cruzer fit & i'm fuken SET it fits in there so nicely gosh i frickin love it. except you cant use usb 3.0 drives. they bug out.
>>
I remember when /g/ laughed when apple removed the drive from the macbook air.

fucking look at you now.
>>
>>46920370
3/4 of the people in this thread has used a CD recently. What is your point?
>>
>>46920370
>hoyp doyp i am u and u are me and /g/ is one perso-hon see how they run like pigs from a gun see how they fly. im cry-yin

f*ck man thats a song and a half...
>>
>>46919264
All my photos are on optical discs. I don't have a cd drive on my laptop. Also, I will buy some shit like that http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-External-Portable-CD-ROM-Drive/dp/B001GRNM6K in the near future.
>>
>>46920340
good. maybe youll stop wasting dynamic storage.
>>
>>46919264
had to burn an xp dvd for a friend and tried to burn a "totoro" disk but failed last month
>>
Still use CDs in my car for music. Just never bother ripping them.
>>
>>46919264
We rented two movies from Redbox the other night.

Before that my wife installed Cooking Academy off of a disc.

I have a shit ton of blu rays.
>>
About a week ago when I ripped a couple CDs I had just bought.
>>
>>46919264
Today. In my car. Listening to music.

Duh.
>>
Windows 7 re-install after upgrading my motherboard. Learned that plugging a BDR drive into a USB 3.0 port and trying to install Windows that way doesn't work.
>>
File: babylon2.jpg (132 KB, 701x701) Image search: [Google]
babylon2.jpg
132 KB, 701x701
Bought the Babylon 5 box set and then ripped all the DVDs a few months ago. Pretty much had to since I live in region 1 and the box set was for region 2.
>>
>just got all my pc components today
>/g/ told me not to get optical drive because it's useless
>cds with driver updates everywhere
I should be fine right?

Any first time building videos you'd recommend?

Is there any specific program I should use to put windows on the flash drive? I was just going to use microsoft's program
>>
>>46919264
Yesterday. Needed to install Win7 and for whatever reason the computer didn't want to boot from my Rufus-created Win7 USB.
>>
>>46919264
last night w/your mom
>>
>>46920812

As long as you have access to internet, you can download all your drivers on your motherboards support page.
>>
>>46920883
Can I do that once I set up WIndows or is that something I should do beforehand?
>>
Last week to install an antivirus on mom's computer
>>
>>46919264
Today, in my PS2.
>>
can't remember

i don't even have a disc drive anymore
>>
Last week when I ripped CDs that I bought.
>>
About twenty minutes ago, in the car. I wish that there was a good way to listen to music in the car without CDs, but as far as I can tell there is not. I don't want to have to use my phone to control the music; I want the controls on the dashboard. What I need is a head unit with a USB port that understands MTP and has a high quality DAC. I don't know why that doesn't exist, but it doesn't seem to. With the exception of the car, it's been years.
>>
>>46920907
copy the network drivers on a usb drive just incase.

you are posting on 4chan so you have internet access to do so.

heck if your current pc has a dvd drive you can just copy the contents to a usb drive.
>>
Burning Saturn and Sega CD isos for my modded jap saturn and model 2 a few months ago
>>
Watched a bluray of Nightbreed Director's Cut yesterday.
>>
>>46920370
Macbook Air never had a disc drive.
>>
>>46921775
HP Envy 15 too, lol.
>>
Couple weeks ago. Installed the core files of a game from DVD so that I didn't have to pull 12GB down from their servers just to start playing.
>>
>>46919264
Last week when I finally made my first mix after 27 years of living. It's such a stressful process....
>>
>>46919264
On Friday at work. I had to install win7 enterprise and my flash drive died on me after years of abuse and washes.
>>
Yesterday. Decided to revive an old rig for steam big picture mode. Couldn't be fucked to make a usb installer for windows 7 so I found an old burned dvd. Haven't installed an OS from disc in years.
>>
a few days ago

dvd-rs are really useful for backing up your files
>>
A few hours ago on my PS3
>>
daily, in my car
>>
Years, the usb standard has been around and port compliant for so long the list of excuses is next to nil.
>>
Never, I just use the cloud

(^:
>>
>>46921152
Newer cars have exactly that bro.
>>
>>46919264
Last Friday to burn some Audio CDs, because I have a very old car, and it has an "integrate audio experience" so I can' change the CD player to something better. I can't complain too much about it either, because the car was a gift.
>>
>>46919345
>partition
You idiot.
>>
>>46920334
fm transmitter
>>
Yesterday.
I had to upload a driver CD to my home server since my new desktop doesn't have a reader
>>
>>46919264
Some time last summer, I think.

When I want to play old games, I usually just buy from GOG, but while looking for my wallet and the card in it I found a game disc instead. After spending some time trying to convince the installer I'm running something better or equal to Windows 95, I realized I'd probably have to spend even longer setting up compatibility fixes and bought the game from GOG anyway.
>>
>>46919269
Ditto. For some reason, I can't get my Thinkpad to boot from USB ... it should, as I did so to do a Linux install earlier.

Also burned a few Puppy discs so I actually burned some CDRs too.
>>
>>46924038
They generally suck in my experience, at least the ones that plug into the headphone port. If you have an iThing, the ones that use the dock connector work pretty well.
>>
>>46919264
A few weeks ago, I bought the RHPS's Blu-Ray.
>>
Watching my TNG blu rays.
>>
>>46920769
>having trouble with dvd regions
region 1 confirmed for cuck region

Shit, in Region 4 where I live it is illegal to implement region blocking and our equipment will play everything (by convention) NTSC, PAL/SECAM, the lot.
>>
About two weeks ago when I installed an OpenBSD 5.6 / Mac OS X 10.4.11 dual boot
>>
30 minutes ago to play a ps4 game.
>>
I buy CDs all the time
>>
Couple of years ago, when I was using my old laptop. I've got PC for 2 years now and I don't even have cd/dvd drive in it.
>>
I still use DVDs (with parity) for backups.
>>
3 days ago when playing Mario kart wii
>>
File: 1424982155444.jpg (17 KB, 213x194) Image search: [Google]
1424982155444.jpg
17 KB, 213x194
>>46921589
I like you.
>>
>>46924860
Mod that Wii bro. Gbatemp.net
>>
>>46924799
You that Taiyo Yuden guy?
>>
I ripped a CD the other day. Lossless digital formats ftw.
>>
>>46919264
>When was the last time you used optical media?
couple of days ago when i backed up my computer using clonezilla
>>
>>46920812
You shouldn't be using the drivers on the discs. they are usually outdated due to the time stock takes in transit / on shopfloor. Download drivers from manufacturers website
>>
Multiple years. Last year I was asked to burn a CD. Tried inserting it into my Macbook, didn't catch onto it so i forced it in. Got stuck, going bananas in the progress. Tried everything, eventually pried it loose with a bowie knife. Recking the whole thing in the progress. Never again.
>>
yesterday on blu-ray reservoir dogs.
>>
I burn DVDs for my parents because they refuse to use anything else.

Hoping to build them a HTPC for when I next visit so I can stick them on a USB stick instead.
>>
Everyday until you can digitally buy the same quality as Blu-ray offers.
>>
yesterday. i burned a dvd for my parents. also i have driver cds and windows dvds. also on my ps3. also i have some bluray films.
so i am using optical drives pretty often.
>>
To install my os 3 years ago when I bought a copy of windows.
>>
I distribute custom livecds to local neighborhoods door-to-door to get them to use linux. So far I have about twenty-three successful converts of probably two-thousand potentials.

They call me spin-master mike around here.
>>
>>46919264
I always keep a few cds of linux distros so I don't have to waste a flash drive keeping an operating system on it
>>
Yesterday.

I burned one DVD last Friday.
>>
>>46920370
I still prefer my laptops to have an optical drive
>>
>>46927738
>buy
>>
File: thmbnllol.jpg (2 MB, 3229x2965) Image search: [Google]
thmbnllol.jpg
2 MB, 3229x2965
Pic related, some dumbass put thumbnails on an official hospital cd sleeve....

Everyweek, burning surgery cd's and burning for patients studies.
>Radiologist Tech

BTW, best quality CD/RW? Memorex seems to have a limited number of rewrites.
>>
>>46927827
I pirate my Blu-rays, but would pay for it if it would be sold at a decent price.
>>
>>46927900
They all have a limited number of rewrites.

You are burning the ink inside the disc with a laser.
>>
>>46919269
Wow noob don't you have USB drive? Last time I used optical disk was 4 years ago to fix my broken OS.
>>
>>46927984
I kind of thought that, I wondered how it could rewrite without physically altering the disc. Oh well at least I'm helping a little bit with the environment. lol
>>
>>46919264

when I bought simcity 4 over 10 years ago

USB keys have replaced CDs, because if you're too cheap for a $5 stick for your software you're better off with a those UPC code things on a piece of toilet paper.
>>
>>46928022
/g/ - calling others noobs for using
more reliable technology
>>
>>46928035
Flash drives are the only way.

Or consider a hotswappable front bay on the viewing device and have a stockpile of SSD's.
>>
>>46919269
Why do people think installing Linux is more important than actually learning Linux?/How many times have you installed Linux? Why are so pleb
>>
>>46927951
yea, i dont understand why a film would cost 20 euros for giving me maybe 2 hours of fun.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.