[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engineers more likely to be extremists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10
File: 40-IS-Islamic-State-IS-Russia.jpg (81 KB, 658x390) Image search: [Google]
40-IS-Islamic-State-IS-Russia.jpg
81 KB, 658x390
Well, /g/. Are you an extremist?
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/jan/02/extremism-engineering

What makes engineers more attracted towards extremism? Black and white thinking?
>>
>>46909972
>Black and white thinking?

Exactly.
People who rely on logic too much think everything must have a definite answer. And if they can't get an answer they blow themselves up.
>>
They saw Law Abiding Citizen.
>>
>>46909998
>People who rely on logic too much
It's not an overreliance on logic, it's faulty logic and a myopic perspective. The overreliance is actually on emotion, and faith becomes greatly out of proportion.

Reminds me of a teenager having an existential crisis, except that crisis is lifelong and they choose to act like they ever addressed it within anything substantial at every single instant.
>>
>>46909972

The article says that engineers are more likely to be Islamic extremists.

Not relevant in the West or if you're not Muslim.
>>
>>46910111
In the west (well, in the US) they become fedora atheists, which is a soft version of religious radical.
>>
>>46910078
Also, to add onto this. Engineers inherently have to contemplate what makes something tick. They become extremists because many of them are bad at, or refuse to contemplate its greater nature. They see the immediate as a closed system without looking at the whole.

Can't say I blame people for wanting extreme change. But if you really look, it's pretty worthless. We're all broken inside, the problem comes from within.
>>
>>46909972
>Black and white thinking?
Yes
People that definite answers to moral and ethics are often branded as "extremists" mainly because all the people that say "world isn't black and white" are actually sheeple that are ready to follow Hitler to the pits of hell until they are made uncomfortable
You can see this way of thinking by everyone on NSA topic. They will say "so what? It's not like they have anything on me, I don't care about human rights".
There are certain rules everyone must abide to for this world to be righteous, and that is the line that separates right from wrong.
>>
>>46910157
>sheeple that are ready to follow Hitler to the pits of hell until they are made uncomfortable
You can see this confirmed in famous Milgram experiment
>>
>>46910138
2/10
>>
>>46910111
It seems to be more related to what kind of extremism. Lawyers, doctors and philosophers become commies and engineers become nazis and Islamists.
>>
File: 1424915244183.png (126 KB, 680x464) Image search: [Google]
1424915244183.png
126 KB, 680x464
>>46910138

Being a euphoric douche is a far cry from blowing people up for your god.
>>
>>46910157
You are mixing up two things.
Saying that the "world isn't black and white" does not directly mean that you fail to realize that something is wrong, it is only often used as an excuse by people that do not want to realize that something is wrong because fixing what is wrong would require effort.
Saying that the world isn't black and white simply means that you should not side with one end just because it is easier to adjust if the scale changes and rather try to find the optimum on the scale at all times between black and white instead of siding with either black or white.
>>
>>46910216
I consider myself an anarchist and study computer sciences.

I'm wondering if there are more recent studies. The English spokesperson of IS that did the decapitates was also an IT guy.
>>
Z4>>46910221
You're right, it's worse
>>
On a side note, could this explain the antisemitic jokes on /g/?
>>
File: 4876696414_d3f62d18be_z.jpg (89 KB, 465x619) Image search: [Google]
4876696414_d3f62d18be_z.jpg
89 KB, 465x619
>>46909972
Lonely bitter awkward people turn to engineering because people are too complicated and they believe formulas will give them comfort. As an added bonus terrifying females are uncommon and thus it represents a "safe space"

As it turns out islamic extremism teaches things about women that are essentially a 100% match for the lonely permavirgin STEM type. Additionally, by the time these STEM losers are in their 20s they're starting to realize that a lifetime of angry masturbation isn't going to make them happy. But they're too broken and dysfunctional to turn back to normal. So, needless to say, ISIS and Al Qaeda offer them a way out. Kill some kuffars and the afterlife will be full of qt3.14 grills from anime.

This is why serious tech companies are making an effort to hire more women. When this type of environment isn't a "safe space" for bitter losers, they take their problems somewhere else.
>>
>>46909972
So Based ISIS is full of engineers huh
>>
>>46909972
>implying there are engineers on /g/
>>>/sci/
>>
>>46910325
No, that's a pre-4chan thing.
>>
>>46910367
>Lonely bitter awkward people turn to engineering because people are too complicated and they believe formulas will give them comfort.
I-I didn't ask this feel, but fuck are you right.
>>
>>46910267
so you're saying it's about comfort?
You just refurbished my argument , dude.
I said the same thing in different wording.
People don't care about anything unless they feel they are uncomfortable, thus they won't change anything because of comfort of their everyday lives.
>>
>>46910601
EE here
get rekt
>>
>>46910601
hey mech engineer here.
I felt a bit extreme waking up today.
>>
>>46910725
>Not having consistent night terrors
>Not sleeping poorly on average
>Not waking up feeling max extreme every day
Get a load of this plebian.
>>
>>46910367
>Kill some kuffars and the afterlife will be full of qt3.14 grills from anime.

I just checked the Holy Quran, and Muhammad (peace be upon him) didn't say anything about ``anime grills''.
>>
>>46909972
http://www.tv.com/shows/extreme-engineering/
>>
>>46910748
The 70 virgins can only mean anime girls because every women there has been raped out of their virginity
>>
>>46910629
EE here too
>>
>>46910629
fellow EE here, it's bad that I spend time here considering how much my time is worth
>>
>>46909972
Autism obviously. Engineers especially CS students tend to be beta loser virgins who either want to be somebody or just plain want to take revenge on society.
>>
File: engineering.jpg (113 KB, 531x471) Image search: [Google]
engineering.jpg
113 KB, 531x471
>mfw EE
>>
>What makes engineers more attracted towards extremism?
Plain old autism
>>
>>46910221
I can imagine someone having so much anal pain spending the time to make this
>>
Didn't know there were so many fellow EEs on /g/

How many of you are white?
>>
>>46911207
nobody in real life would ever consider me not 100% white

therefore i'm >white
>>
>>46911299
>nobody in real life would ever consider me not 100% white
So what are you actually?
>>
>>46911311
White just not /int/ white
>>
>tfw in watch list because study engineering

Thanks obama
>>
>>46911318
Stop it. What are you actually
>>
>>46911331
White just not Finnish
>>
>>46911338
From where are you genetically delineated
What is your heritage
>>
>>46911356
English, Swedish and German
>>
File: shicken.gif (2 MB, 280x200) Image search: [Google]
shicken.gif
2 MB, 280x200
>>46910367
>mfw I am all of those things
I've deluded myself into thinking it is normal.
The depression comes and goes but you will always be a faggot.
>>
Muslim here.
Engineering and Medicine are the highest regarded careers for Muslim parents.
My father would have never let me study anything else.
So if you religious, and want to study you are most likely end up engineer or doctor.
>>
File: 1.png (176 KB, 500x1382) Image search: [Google]
1.png
176 KB, 500x1382
>>46910138
I'd rather deal with their poor grooming habits than being blown up.
>>
>>46910629
Mech E reporting, alla who snackbar
>>
File: 10440UR7-0.jpg (65 KB, 525x350) Image search: [Google]
10440UR7-0.jpg
65 KB, 525x350
>>46909972
>What makes engineers more attracted towards extremism?
Maybe they're not more attracted towards extremism but rather extremism is attracted towards engineers. If you want to blow shit up, having engineers is valuable. Also engineers are more likely than most in shithole countries to actually have some money. Add in access to restricted materials and well connected to others who also have access to restricted materials and areas, then you can see why engineers would be highly coveted by extremists.
>>
>>46909972
>le engineers are probably terrorists
Fuck this shit.

It won't be long before they say all educated people are terrorists.
>>
Read the fucking article, it said that there are a bunch of engineers in extremist groups.

AKA, a bunch of durkas and other sand niggers went out to college, got degrees in chemistry, mechanical engineering and electrical engineering so they could go make meth, Kyber Pass AKs made from Bulgarian parts kits and build bombs that won't go off when their cellies get spam from subway.
>>
Why is "extremist" always used as a synonym for militant? Violence isn't the only way of being extreme
>>
>>46912753
Because the media is all about sensationalism. Fucking children soldiers are being recruited by warlords trying to protect their meth trade routes from ISIS but HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THIS BLUE AND BLACK DRESS LOOKS LIKE WHITE AND GOLD!

So they use words like extremist, assault weapon, hardcore gamer and so forth, to play on people's fears with sensationalism.

Dude, if I had to explain what is basic logic...
>>
>>46912864
>HOLY FUCKING SHIT, THIS BLUE AND BLACK DRESS LOOKS LIKE WHITE AND GOLD!
I don't even remember what it looks like, but don't try to start shit. I'm pretty sure it was white and gold.
I don't give a fuck either way. It was specifically designed to breed useless conversation. It was probably a government experiment.
>>
File: 2WPIY.png (159 KB, 1087x844) Image search: [Google]
2WPIY.png
159 KB, 1087x844
>>46912901
I was merely pointing out that instead of addressing real world concerns, the media would much rather put out feel good stories that are beyond vapid in terms of content. That the growing threat of WW3 looming on the horizon as well as the imminent total collapse of society as we know it is less important than a fucking piece of cloth.

And if you look at the dress in later pictures, it is black and blue, the color differential stems from the brain having trouble deciding if it is viewing it in a low light situation or if its shadowed. There are numerous optical illusions that demonstrate the same phenomena like this picture. What happens to your brain in the pic is the same exact thing with the dress. If you do a lot of real life drawing you can actually trick your brain into seeing both the black and blue or the white and gold.
>>
Autism
>>
>>46910629
Another EE reporting in
>>
File: 1424929296596.jpg (31 KB, 432x324) Image search: [Google]
1424929296596.jpg
31 KB, 432x324
>>46909972

>Outsource tech to a bunch of shitskins

>Somehow people are surprised theyre extremists

Ahlallu Akhbar
>>
>>46910980
CS is not engineering.
>>
>>46909972
I'm Electric engineer student and I don't have any interest on terrorism, I only care about my fucking future and electric circuit that's all :)

And yes I'm muslim :)
>>
>>46909972
>MSM tries to make people associate engineering/science with terrorism
>continues to point out that those fields are male dominated
>ensuring a higher proportion of women in those fields is now a matter of national security
>>
>>46911396
GJORDE NÅGON SÄGER KAPTEN SVERIGE?
>>
So does being IT make me one of the nice muslims like the ones you find in south east asia?
>>
>>46913340
>south east asia
Iran?
>>
>>46913442
I was thinking Myanmar or Thailand
>>
>>46909972
>two groups of 1000 persons, one with A and one without A
>3 persons in group with A have/are B
>1 persons in group withouh A have/are B
>BREAKING NEWS PEOPLE WHO ARE A ARE 300% MORE PROBABLE OF HAVING/BEING B plz like, subscribe and follow us on facebik gogl+ tweter temblr myspes whatsap redit aol irc bbs and postal adress
>>
File: 5600_56b6.gif (952 KB, 350x247) Image search: [Google]
5600_56b6.gif
952 KB, 350x247
>>46909972
Boy I couldn't care less about ideology. Just give me my damn hammock and beach at hawaii
>>
>Groups target people with useful skills such as engineers speciffically
>Young people in radicalised areas are encouraged to persue "practical" careers at university such as engineering and medicine compared to the pure sciences
>Engineering does not require the person learning to confront their religious views in the way that many of the hard sciences do, as so people learning to become engineers are less likely to have their beliefs challenged by their education and the research they carry out compared ot scientists
>>
>>46909972
Sounds like a poor attempt to make these people sound intelligent. At the end of the day they're still living in mud huts and chucking rocks at people.
>>
>>46909972
>What makes engineers more attracted towards extremism? Black and white thinking?
I have this hypothesis:

Engineering schools focuses on teaching how to apply mathematical knowledge and not how to prove or analyse it. Since this means they are taught not to question their assumptions, they are more likely to assume everything true whenever the face an authority figure such as a teacher or as a particular case, a preacher.
>>
>>46910629
I am too EE. I don't get all the hate. Yes most engineers are quiet people that are not as easy to bullshit like some arts degree fags, but there is nothing wrong with that. Also most EE can make a way better bomb than some sand nigger. With multiple sensors and no way to be disabled or moved once activated. Unlike some lawyer who thing electronics are black magic.
>>
>>46914148
>Also most EE can make a way better bomb than some sand nigger.
not when they have access to tutorials written by better ees than you.
>>
Man fuck you guys, I'm an EE. My friends in middle school and high school always called me crazy just because I happened to have some amateur knowledge from fiction, wikipedia etc about explosives, acids and poisons. Just because a guy makes a few noisemakers in middle school and maybe steals some magnesium strips and other reagents from the chem lab for experimental purposes he gets the wrong kind of reputation.
>>
>>46914345
>Just because a guy makes a few noisemakers in middle school and maybe steals some magnesium strips and other reagents from the chem lab for experimental purposes he gets the wrong kind of reputation.
theres absolutely nothing wrong with some thermite fun
>>
>>46914217
Maybe but the moment someone disable the bomb designed by the "better" engineer they have to make another one because they will know how to disable it. The problem with bombs are that no two alike are the same and they are difficult to disable if found in time. If you have group of engineer you can make different bomb every month, that is hard to disable. That is the scary part. Not that they need it so much, muslims have plenty of suicide bombers. Come to think of this the only thing that they could really use some engineers is if they get access to some plutonium and need people to make warhead and rocket but that is really far fetched.
>>
>>46910629
Che E here :v)
>>
>>46912516
ISIS wants educated people demonized. they want education to go away, they've been destroying libraries
>>
>>46910629
Computer Science + Aerospace Engineer here
life fucking sucks
but i love it.
>>
>>46909972
Engineers are unfit for anything else than engineering. (Most are unfit for engineering, too but that's another issue)
>>
>>46914067
Which means that most people in IT are not as extremist as engineers because IT is still young and because of that you need to question lots of the bullshit that is produced by education (like pure OOP being the only true godlike paradigim).
I feel like because of EE being established for way longer people in EE tend to be less critical about what they are taught.
Feels good man. No wait, they get paid a shit ton more, nevermind, does not feel good.
>>
>>46910138
>not being atheist

we got ourselves a hillbilly
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.