[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck am I doing wrong? Is this not an at least decent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: resume.png (38 KB, 726x735) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
38 KB, 726x735
What the fuck am I doing wrong? Is this not an at least decent resume for an intern?

I've given out 20+ of these and gotten a SINGLE fucking response.

inb4
>ubuntu
>java
>going to college

I get it. /g/ maymays. yeah. I seriously need to know what the fuck I'm doing wrong.
>>
>>46907081
Get a github set up, add some personal projects, and add your github to your resume. Employers want developers that can write clean code.
>>
File: 1365775989397.jpg (42 KB, 700x479) Image search: [Google]
1365775989397.jpg
42 KB, 700x479
>Frisbee
>>
File: 12351512312512.jpg (131 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
12351512312512.jpg
131 KB, 803x688
>>46907132
Never thought about that. Thanks bruh.

>>46907141
>>
>>46907081
>not cs job
among other things, tidy up the english and layout mate. also >>46907132
>>
>>46907081
Put the CS internship above the non-cs job and gitgudhub.

Frisbee mention isn't the worst thing ever if the culture fits.
>>
>Fall 2011 - Spring 2016
you dun goofed

>Minor in German Language
no one cares, hitler

>Familiar with Java and C++
if you're only "familiar" with two languages and experienced with none 3.5 years into a CS program, you fucked up somewhere

>Proficient with microshaft office
unless you're applying somewhere autistic, they are probably going to assume you can do normalfag shit like office

>microshaft visual studio
no one cares

>OS
have you developed a non-trivial program under windows? say UNIX instead of loonix(jewbuntu) (assuming you've built something non-trivial under UNIX, if not, you fucked up)

>Proficient in German
no one cares, hitler

>Frisbee
no one cares

>studied abroad
no one cares

Get some examples of your code up somewhere. Fix your shitty English.
>>
It looks ugly as fuck.
>Must be able to work unsupervised
>>
>>46907081

Yeah, that ultimate frisbee is definitely worth having on there. Really sets you apart, I bet.

No, but I guess your rationale is that your potential employee should know you're not an autist? I think the part about studying abroad covers that. Autists rarely dare.
>>
>>46907150
I hope that whomever made that image is satisfied with themselves.
>>
File: well_mememed_my_friend.jpg (494 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
well_mememed_my_friend.jpg
494 KB, 1000x1000
>>46907175
>>
>>46907154
>>46907165
I wrote familiar because I'm not trying to overplay myself... I mean. I 'know' a lot of languages, but those two languages are the only two that I'm comfortable writing in a job situation.
>>46907168
Guess that's what I get for going to a shit tier university... the fucks at the resume help center said I should be writing like that.

>>46907171
Look here, you nigger. It's better than having half my page being plank.

I guess it also does that. Maybe? I don't fucking know.
>>
Mention projects that required use of "relevant coursework". So you studied "Data Structures", great. Does that mean you've heard of some? You know how to properly use several? Can you write them from scratch yourself? Etc.

"Familiar with Java and C++" makes it sound like you understand the syntax (or some of it) but haven't done anything in it.
>>
>>46907198
>Look here, you nigger. It's better than having half my page being plank.

It's not. You're supposed to slim it down to what's relevant. Frisbee isn't.

Also, you're the one asking for advice here.
>>
>>46907165
>mfw my German summer abroad got me a job.
>manager was german
>>
>>46907198
http://www.latextemplates.com/cat/curricula-vitae
reformat it, fix shit up, elborate more on what you've done. Keep it to 1 page. Setup a github account and add projects to it. Remember you are trying to sell yourself so you get hired
>>
>>46907219
You see. That's literally the opposite of what's been told to me the entire time I've been in university. From the number of you saying that, you're probably not just yanking my chain.
>>
>>46907219
potential employers like to see what general interests are in applicants.

What are their general hobbies? Shitposting on 4chan?
>>
Put your CS internship and only your internship. Nobody gives a shit about that warehouse job. If you're gonna keep it on there honestly you should put your CS internship before it.

Also, nobody cares if you can use Microsoft Office.

You're missing projects. Probably the most important part of the resume if you're applying for internships. Every company I have interviewed with has asked me about my projects. Put your Github link on there and write down some stuff you're proud of and make sure you can talk about them.

You want to use your projects to sell yourself
>>
>>46907198

I'm 3 years into a CS program and I would feel comfortable using C, C#, Java and Python in a work environment, and would consider myself "familiar" with x86 assembly, mips assembly, scheme, prolog, html/css, mysql, bash, perl.

You're doing something very wrong, or your program is just shit.
>>
So, when you say projects, do you mean like... my stupid ass school projects, or JUST what I've done on my own?

I've written a few things on my own, but nothing really worthy of being flaunted.
>>
>>46907231

Extracurricular stuff is good, but it should be somehow relevant at a glance. Had you been the president of the computer club, that'd be better, obviously. You should also be able to talk about it at an interview in a way that's relevant to the position. E.g., "During my [activity] I learned the value of teamwork and bla blah leadership this and that.". You could probably spin your frisbee thing in that way, since bullshit spins easily anyway, but it doesn't really fufill criterion no.1 .
>>
>>46907245
>You're doing something very wrong, or your program is just shit.

My program focuses a lot more on the math of computation and theory of computation a WHOLE lot more than we do programming.

The last time I did a programming projects was my sophomore year.

I've dabbled here and there with lisp, mysql, php/css/html5, etc, but not enough to really say that I /know/ them.
>>
>>46907249
Yeah, put down your school projects. I personally have a list of my own projects mixed with some school projects
>>
>>46907245
doesn't matter the program. If I only knew what my CS courses taught me I would know:

>C++

Instead I know:

>C++, Python, Ruby, C, JS, some Java, Bash, HTML/CSS, MIPS, some Freescale assembly I sorta remember

Most of these I've taught myself. Some stuff like the Freescale assmebly came up in an internship
>>
It is not really clear what language you have worked with the most.
If you had to choose which language feels like you understand better?
I know you don't want to seem over confident in the languages but familiar is not a good term for your primary language.
>>
>>46907287
eehhhh... working proficiency? That sound a little better?
>>
>>46907081
Honestly dude, I own a small IT company, and have also done my fair share of work. I also am the general manager of a restaurant and do all the hiring and firing, etc.

You may have credentials or the ability to work at an internship of some sort...

>But that is a bad resume

You are prolly getting it tossed aside just on the template of the resume alone

You need to work on that resume, re word some shit, use better english, I can give you an example if you would like...

College is one big english test, it doesn't matter what major you go into, except maybe some math (no personal exp), but it's all about an english test.
>wording of crazy ass questions on exams
>typing papers and essays
you can talk straight BS as long as its formatted and sounds like your smart
>teachers wording things wrong and you having to argue with them about the actual english meaning of the question

English/Grammar over errything
In college at least

But you need to work on ur resume...
>>
>>46907081
I'll reiterate some point while adding my own.

Non-CS job is irrelevant. In college I had 2 resumes: 1 professional, and 1 to get blue collar jobs while in school. Never shall the two meet, so remove.

The others are unnecessarily 4-chan rude, but frisbee is irrelevant. Remove.

Knowing German is useful. Knowing a secondary language makes you more marketable. Keep.

Remove Office. You know why.

Gihub is everything. If you don't have any extra projects you've worked on, place school projects you're proud of. Mind you, I'm not saying cookie cutter school projects that every CS student has done, I'm talking about a unique spin you took on something academic. If you don't have that, you need to get to work.

Typically, recruiters know what skill level most CS students are at when they're leaving college. There are some exceptions, but for the most part, "proficient" coming from a recent student holds less weight than it does coming from an industry pro. Let them find out you suck during the interview. You just need to focus on getting that far.

Hope i helped.
>>
>>46907303
>teachers wording things wrong and you having to argue with them about the actual english meaning of the question

story of my college career. foreign professors really should let english speaking professors review their tests first...
>>
>ultimate Frisbee

into le trash it goes :^)
>>
>>46907081
I lied like a motherfucker to get my first interview, said I was an expert android developer.

Looked up dozens of "100 questions you'll be asked at an android interview" and aced it.

Learned android my first day there.
>>
>>46907081
Reach out to recruiters directly when you can.

Every internship and now job I have now has started this way.
>>
>>46907303
The funny fucking thing is. My resume was a lot fucking different before. I took it to the resume workshop and they tore me a new asshole.

Telling me I didn't need to write such long sentences and shit, and people didn't want to read an essay. I didn't even have fucking much on there to begin with. Still under a page.
>>
>>46907263
In addition to that, I've taken the following courses which were mostly/all theory:

-Discrete Math & Formal Logic
-Two semesters of data structures
-Computer Organization (how UNIX werks)
-Programming Tools (how the hardware werks + some assembly)
-Automata & Formal Languages
-Fundamentals of Software Engineering
-Numerical Computing
-Programming Language Design
-Introduction to Database Systems (database theory, one small programming project over the semester)
-Math out the ass
>>
>>46907333
Put them in those are some good topics
>>
>>46907333
accidentally switched the descriptions for comp organization and programming tools
>>
>>46907335
I'm not OP, I'm the guy telling him his program is garbage.
>>
>>46907322
>apply for firmware position
I think I'm fairly proficient in this field, but still...

>Only technical question of interview:
>"You understand pointers and shit, yeah?"
>"Yeah."
>"Okay, good."

rest of interview just why I want the job and then stuff I would be working on. Got the job btw
>>
Java and c++ on a resume aren't strong. If anything try to explain some of the stuff you've done with it ie worked on basic GUIs, written server client programs (you mentioned that in the database part which is good). Knowledge of tcp/ip stack etc. What year are you?
>>
>>46907350
Which is why i say the only thing OP needs to focus on is landing the interview. I'd drop "familiar" from the resume
>>
>>46907329
Under a page is good
> sometimes (SOMEtimes) a cover page is acceptable
>Your format/style is bad, those bold black text headings

Ill help u with a resume for real bro, or at least give u some input
I namefagged cuz I've been here for 5+ years, and Ill really help you if u want
>>
File: resume.png (24 KB, 876x1227) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
24 KB, 876x1227
I've made a few changes, see if this version helps.

(But seriously OP, the market is tough, sorry it's this difficult)
>>
>>46907081
>going to college
As long as it's not film school
>>
>>46907369
Essentially I'm just REALLY fucking bad at selling myself. I don't want to overplay my abilities as a programmer, and I'm probably selling myself short.

I've got ONE shitty app on the android marketplace, and only school projects/a three month internship other than that.

How the fucking hell do I sell myself when there's nothing to fucking sell, and if I have nothing to sell, what could I be doing in terms of projects?
>>
>>46907370
10/10
>>
>>46907400
If I were you id put a link to my shitty android app. It demonstrates you can accomplish a programming task from start to finish
>>
>>46907370
I kek'd man. Thanks. I needed that after the ass ravaging I got from /g/... which is why I didn't post it on leddit or anything. I wanted you guys to be fucking real.

This is the most helpful /g/ has ever been. Th.. thanks guys.
>>
>>46907081
>Is this not an at least decent resume for an intern?
Is any of that relevant to where you're applying to? (Yes, you rewrite for *each* place, even if it is just tweaking.)

You're selling you to them. Put in the best pitch you can.
>>
>>46907426
I was just thinking to myself that people are actually giving you helpful advice. I hope you get your resume fixed and eventually get that job.
>>
>>46907400
What i recommend for projects is to start small and manageable. Work using something you could potentially use in a workplace (popular IDE/programming language).

For instance, mobile apps are easy to test (use your own device), have relatively short production cycles (if you do it right), and are easy to talk up during an interview(just show em).

Again, you're a student. You're not expected make something to pass the Turing test, so making small, useful things is enough.
>>
No, it's not very good, even for an undergrad.

I don't understand why your education is taking up ~10 lines. This should be done in 3 or fewer. A single line with <Major/Degree - Institution - Location - expected graduation> would suffice. Resumes are flexible, but you want to get the information in the face of whoever is reviewing yours. Cut the relevant coursework section, I don't even know what the fuck that is. If you're studying for bachelor of CS from a half-decent school, most competent recruiters will just assume you know that shit. German minor doesn't matter til you have it.

Most recent experience goes first, but really, I would just cut the warehouse part, too. Not relevant to CS internships and "work directly with senior management of foods and retail" isn't gonna mean jack shit. Leave the internship, and rewrite the description to mean something. Right now it's just a steaming pile of generic. You worked directly with the senior software team? Oh, what did you do? Fetch their coffee? Be specific, otherwise you're just another paper. What was the app for? For whom was it being built? What kind of algorithms did you write? What technology or logic did you use to write them? Keep this brief, still <5 bullets per job.
>>
>>46907449
"Relevant computer skills". You already have the section labeled "Skills", that's redundant. Make a couple sections, like "Proficiency", "Familiarity", "Tools", "Platforms", and whatever you need. Categorize your shit. Also, do you seriously only know two languages after 3 years? And only to the point of 'familiarity'? If this is really the case, you either need to rethink your career choice or sit down with a babby's first python book so you can add more skills. I think you need to allot more time than the 15 minutes you gave when you had to write this piece of shit in one of your freshman seminars. You don't need to specify ubuntu, just put Linux (Debian-based). Resumes are about making yourself look good, even if it means future learning to back-up claims. If you understand unix, you can at least navigate most distros. Don't need to specify 'microsoft windows'. Don't have an 'other' section, give it a name. And your German is either not listed at all, conversational, or fluent - not 'Proficient'. I'm assuming at least conversational since you studied abroad, so put that.

Now, we're gonna add more sections. Projects. Achievements. Leadership.
If you have a github, list it. If you don't, make one, upload some of your most representative code, and list it.

Achievements are self explanatory. These can be academic, but don't list trivial things like "Hurr I got a certificate for attending a Visual Studio seminar in the basement of the CS building on a Saturday with a bunch of other unwashed fucks". Dean's list. Rankings. Awards. Leave anything high school out unless it actually holds weight outside of organizations with the word 'High school' in them.

Leadership in clubs, at your internship, if you were a TA, consistently manage group projects (if you're desperate for something)...etc
>>
File: DaF8rIf.png (214 KB, 798x1136) Image search: [Google]
DaF8rIf.png
214 KB, 798x1136
>>46907467
Ultimate shitbee. Take it off. Nice to share with other frisbee enthusiasts, but nobody gives a fuck. If you have whitespace at the end that you need to fill, add an interests sections and for the love of god put more than just frisbee. Bitch.

Here's an example resume from some overachieving jackass that's actually styled pretty well.
>>
>>46907400
Dude what I've been trying to say...
>With English skills
Like I said, college and shit is one big english test no matter what ur program or major...

>You need a better, no bold black, stylized but conservative, revised resume

email me.
namefag@gmail
>>
>>46907481
>8 credits of CS classes tested out of at
>tested out of at
>out of at
dude, what?
>>
>>46907448
Thanks man. I guess I need to start writing these little ideas I get from time to time. At least start exploring them.

>>46907449
I wrote the whole god damn thing. From start to finish. If I had been there for another two months, that shit would have been ready to fucking ship. What's the best way to summarize that?

>>46907467
>>46907481
noted. Seriously, thanks dude.

>>46907485
Will do breh.
>>
>>46907081
Drop microsoft office and the warehouse job

Even if the warehouse thing were relevant, your bullet points are super vague. "taking initiative"? "able to work unsupervised"? how about something more specific? what value did you provide to the warehouse? How did you make things measurably better?

"Linux (Ubuntu Distribution)" -> "Ubuntu Linux"

don't pad your resume. people can tell and they will take it less seriously.

Drop ultimate. They don't care about that kind of extracurricular. Keep the German.

"Familiar" is too weak. I'm "familiar" with Java, but the only Java I ever wrote was for a job interview. Just list the languages, or use a stronger word to show that you know them like the back of your hand. Then be able to demonstrate it live in an interview (people will call you on it).

It's hard to get a job with a resume this bare. Mine was like yours through junior year or so. Back then I got my jobs through other students. Do your homework with study groups (4-10 peeps) and don't just be a leecher, be good enough to provide value so they'll actively want to work with you. Tutor other students. work on open source. show other students your cool electronics projects. Get a reputation.

source: had a crappy resume for a while, then worked for NASA and Boeing. if I could do it so can you.
>>
>>46907563
>source: had a crappy resume for a while, then worked for NASA and Boeing. if I could do it so can you.

That's actually really reassuring. Hopefully the resume I sent out will work on a few shit tier companies where I live and I can squeeze a little work experience out of them this summer.
>>
Was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I don't have any internships or any actual job experience (since I'm IT none of that is required to graduate), but I have a bunch of personal programming projects I've done. Should I list these instead?

Though on the bright side, compared to probably 98% of the others in my IT program I enjoy programming and am (I hope) decent at it.
>>
>>46907663
>I don't have any internships or any actual job experience

it doesn't matter what you put, you're fucked.
>>
>>46907663
put those projects on github and then on your resume
>>
>>46907663
yes but it won't help. in your case the resume won't make it through the hr filter, so you need to get a job by knowing people.
>>
>>46907679
as an addendum, they will help when you actually have job experience.
>>
>>46907672
Well, guess I'll have to turn down the recruiter from Google then.

>>46907678
I already put them on Github and mirror them with gogs. I'll most definitely put them on my resume too. Is there a preferred format? Maybe list what technologies each uses?

>>46907679
Guess I'll go shoot myself, then work fast food after it turns out the .22 doesn't kill me because there's no way I'm doing help desk shit.
>>
>>46907165
Things such as languages and foreign study experience are very valuable on a CV. Don't listen to this complete and utter fucking imbecile.
>>
>>46907081
Why do you list university AND work under education, should be split into anothe category "work experience".

And your warehouse job was a part time next to your studies, right? Just mention it with one sentence, that should be enough.
>XYZ Company
>Helper in warehouse, May 2012 to August 2013

>I've given out 20+ of these and gotten a SINGLE fucking response.
Maybe your cover letter sucks, I don't know.
>>
>>46907081

Let me present my track record. I've been working for 4years and have never failed to be called for an interview when I apply for a position. All 13 of them.

> On unrelated experience
Lose it. I've worked as security guard for almost a year before, but I didn't state it in my resume. Unless they specifically ask about the gap, I wouldn't bother.

> On extracurricular
Lose it. Nobody care. Unless you're joining large corporation which have their own sport team. Common mistakes by fresh graduate. Unless you're president of certain association or won Olympic, don't bother.

> Speak their language
In short, put yourself in recruiter shoes. They got lots of resume for every job opening, so make their job easier. Tailor your resume to match the job requirement. When they said they want "NIX Terminal experience", you put "NIX Terminal", don't put shell or Bash etc.

> Follow up and be ready
The common problem that I encounter when doing phone interview with candidate is they're clueless about my company. Either that or they sound sleepy/high at 11AM.
>>
one piece of advise i was given by a recruiter was to detail my projects or work experience in the sar format.
situation
action
result
you want to show potential employers how you handled a situation and if you can make money for them.
>>
>>46907081
You forgot to write the fucking cover letter.
>>
>>46907784
I have literally never needed a cover letter in my life (except to apply to grad school)
>>
Your resume reads like an amateur. You're a computer science major means you should start showing off your portfolio. What does that mean? What have you done that shows your work helped the organization. Efficiencies, tangibles, etc.

And your resume should never look the same for any two jobs. It needs to be tailored to that specific job.

You wouldn't send a programmer resume to a tech position. Nor write about your administrative duties for a programmer job.

Elaborate on what you did and learn to write a better resume.

You know what is the #1 skill as a programmer? Communication.
>>
File: resumefor4chan.png (176 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
resumefor4chan.png
176 KB, 1440x900
while we are here

how is mine?
>>
>>46907887
I don't think you necessarily 'need' a cover letter. But it goes a long way in telling whoever is looking at your materials that you give the slightest fuck about the position and didn't just spam pdfs across the entire internet in hopes of a job.

If you're well qualified, then no, probably don't 'need' one.
>>
File: 1b8.png (182 KB, 404x266) Image search: [Google]
1b8.png
182 KB, 404x266
>>46907985
>2 pages

into the trash it goes
>>
>>46907985
>labeling it resume
>driving license
>too much whitespace
>really wordy in the general knowledge section
>>
>>46907887
I didn't have a cover letter when I applied to grad school, unless you count a statement of purpose as a cover letter. That'd be a stretch though, since it was around 2 pages.
>>
>>46908012
"You must be able to fit your resume on one page, people are busy and don't have enough time to read two pages, it will get ignored"

That's one of those retarded things you hear from people who have no idea what they are talking about.
>>
>>46907985
at least it doesn't looks like dogshit like the OP but yeah reduce it to one page
>>
>>46907985
Reduce to 1 page as you have a ton of useless spacing. Nobody cares if you can drive. Link your github instead of talking about open source contributions. Nobody cares what you are interested in. Don't list your fucking primary school on your resume. Most recent work and education goes at the top. Your honorary work section is bullshit, list what you actually did.
>>
>>46907985
Should be either one full page or two full pages. Page and a half gives a bad impression.

Stuff you have only rudimentary or basic knowledge of are not worth mentioning. Either get better at them or drop them. If you're good enough at them to not drop them, then don't call it basic.

microcontrollers is one word.

be consistent in your date format (11/2011 vs 01/12)

"occasional contributor to other open source projects"? come on, you can provide more detail than that. Don't mark it as miscellaneous either, call it extracurricular.

Is it really so unusual to have a drivers license in Europe that you have to mention it?
>>
>>46908038
It is a resume and not a cirriculum vitae. It is meant to show that you are qualified for the job not everything you've ever done in your entire life
>>
>>46907081
>2015
>Not using LaTeX
>>
>>46908012
>>46908015
>>46908043
>>46908044
>>46908052
Thanks for the input

As for the inconsistencies, I just translated and anonymized it from my German original resume.
>>
>>46908056
I've gotten three jobs with a two-page resume. but it has to be a full two pages, not tons of bullshit whitespace. one page is better than that.
>>
>>46908079
If all of the information on it is completely relevant and very little filler then 2 pages is okay. But most of the time 2 page resumes are just full of horse shit.
>>
>>46907784
Not sure what a cover letter is, but make sure when you mail these to have a short paragraph about "i'm applying blah blah blah" with perhaps something why you are applying at this particular company, what interests you, why do you want to work with them. That goes a long way. It like on dating sites, you need to include something from their profile when you write girls.
>>
>>46907081
guy looking to hire a CS/SE major here

I want perl
Perl and database knowledge
And can make a half decent front end

But I'm probably unique
>>
>>46908056
And what if you've got a wealth of experience that cannot be summarised in one page? If you can't take the time to read an extra page then why the fuck have not got a recruitment department?

No reputable manager/recruiter has ever disregarded a resume/cv because it's two pages. Fuck, you're trying to sell yourself, why cut yourself short because some PC retard told you.
>>
>>46908107
Read this post >>46908096
>>
>>46907481
>overachieving
>oregon
>>
>>46907081
>ubuntu
>java
>going to college
>browsing /g/
>>
I study in Stuttgart, there's an ultime frisbee thing?
I don't even know what that's supposed to be
>>
Thanks this thread now makes me revolt in disgust at resumes, you fucking plebs

This is why you need 2 years for entry level positions to weed out millennial trash.

All these people who treated college like being a NEET not doing shit. Christ. You should have a ton of stuff on github because you should love what you do

CV or hit the road

And no I'm not a boomer I'm 25.
>>
Oh fuck I have less experience than his. I'm fucked

Github, get ready for my fizzbuzz programs
>>
>>46907081

intern in sf valley here, i'm just going to jot down some glaring points on your resume that doesn't read right

1. you seem to only have generic technologies listed (some of which aren't in vogue)
2. companies typically look for a github or linkedin account with related projects
3. you list fucking microsoft office and IDEs for software experience
>given out 20+
you should be giving out 150+ since you clearly have no software experience

you are in your 3rd/4th year of university (computer science), why haven't you made any compilers or open source contribution or web stacks or arduino coffee maker or ANYTHING?
All you have that is relevant is some vaguely worded android front end project (you don't even go into specifics about the methodology or stack so I'm suspicious that you've even done this
>>
>>46908139
>arch
>C
>living in a basement
>being alive
>>
>>46908116
>B-b-but mine is not horse shit, right? Because every recruiter is a robot that has the same opinion.

Give me a 5 page resume any day, I'd rather spend an extra 2 minutes reading a 5 page resume/cv than spend 30 minutes at an interview to find out you're not suitable.

You're trying to convince them to get you in for an interview, why limit yourself to 100 words?
>>
File: DOESTHISLOOKANYBETTER.png (24 KB, 720x729) Image search: [Google]
DOESTHISLOOKANYBETTER.png
24 KB, 720x729
Okay you faggots... does this look ANY better?
>>
>>46908161
All of that? All completely fair to say.

>you don't even go into specifics about the methodology or stack so I'm suspicious that you've even done this

That?

That's over the line. Fuck off.
>>
>>46908015
>driving license
>>46908044

A large portion of jobs give lots of fucks if you have a license and a car. What happens if you need to go meet a client?
>>
>>46908185
where the fuck is your (fake) github link nigger
>>
>>46908166
And an important part of any job is being able to follow directions.

Congratulations, you have the time and attention span to read a five-page resume. Guess what, most recruiters don't. If they asked for a brief explanation of why you're a good choice for job and you turn in a detailed chronicle of your life it's going straight in the trash.
>>
>>46908185
Way too empty, even for an undergrad. Put relevant coursework. Clubs. Something.
>>
File: nowwithgithubintegration.png (25 KB, 697x720) Image search: [Google]
nowwithgithubintegration.png
25 KB, 697x720
>>46908214
>>
>>46908215
I write the job description.
I read the resumes.
I interview the candidates.
I decide who gets hired.

You're wrong and retarded. Extra pages are only bad if its trite filler bullshit. You're just intellectually slow and read like shit, or you're hiring worthless jobs for worthless people.
>>
>>46908038
It's a rule of thumb (meaning something you integrate with common sense, not something that overrides it), and one that's valid for new workers.

Too many job applicants pad their resumes with bullshit, and too many HR managers have so little patience with that shit that if they get to the midpoint of the first page and all they've seen is fluff they'll just assume the rest is fluff too.

You're not filling space with your resume the way you fill space in an English essay in college. Be judicious, even brutally lean, with your resume.
>>
>>46908185
>GPA 3.0/4.0
throw it in le garbage
>>
>>46908185
why would you advertise a 3.0 GPA?
>>
>just got a BSc in CS
>have 0 finished project fit for showing off, just a bunch of small things I started working on and then abandoned
Welp, guess I'm fucked.
At least I still have 2 years MSc ahead of me before I'm entering the job market.
>>
>>46908185
why does gpa go to 4.0 instead of 5.0 or 10? why do you end it at 4? It's so fucking retarded, we have a 10 system for the uni, and 5 system for HS
>>
>>46908259
>HR
>having any say in hiring matters
Maybe at a shit company
>>
>>46907081
>Word for resume
IN THE TRASH IT GOES.

Also
>language minor

Plus you probably studied at a shit university. Cause over here companies are lining up, more like fighting to reel us in with free food and drinks, to get us to work for them.
>>
why even bother?
just be a NEET, job market sucks anyway
>>
>>46908185
Put the exchange under education, you have little to stand out otherwise.
Put more under skills, you claimed you know about Linux in the OP and that you did a lot of maths, where are the scripting languages and latex? This shit does matter, especially if you can crank out some tex macros for your github.

Try to get at least a student assistant job before you graduate. Also it is not clear why you claim excellent knowledge of C++ if you mention no projects with it. Extensive is a very harsh term, I hope you have more than coursework and that little internship to back this up.
>>
>>46908301
Do you seriously think this nitpicked issue has any bearing on the broader point? A lot of bullshit in your resume will get it thrown out, even if there are gems in your resume.
>>
>>46908305
>over here
over where?
>>
>>46908301
>autism speaks
>>
>>46908215
>most recruiters don't.
You're retarded, enjoy staying neet
>five-page
>detailed chronicle of your life
I'm sure your bleak existence could be summed up in five pages, however consider there are people who've been in numerous complex roles that all have valuable transferable experience that cannot be summed up in 10 words or less.

There's lots of people who will be qualified that apply to you vacancy, you need to differentiate yourself, your cv/resume is the first and potentially only point of contact. A generic, one page resume that gets sent out everywhere is far more likely to be thrown in the trash that a personalised in-depth two page one.
>>
>>46908305
>>Word for resume
What's wrong with this? Word is the standard
>>
As we have HR pros here, if you get published as an undergrad, does in belong on the CV even if it is in an irrelevant field for the job?
>>
>>46907370
Still a better resume than OPs.
>>
>>46908322
>>46908317
Sorry ladies didn't mean to insult your jobs
>>
>>46908334
Use LaTeX you nigger
>>
>>46908327
This. This so hard I wonder I'd I have schizophrenia and I posted it.
>>
File: jesusfuck.png (306 KB, 637x361) Image search: [Google]
jesusfuck.png
306 KB, 637x361
>>46908308

> I can't get a job
>better give up on life and be a failure
>I couldn't possibly try to improve my skills so I would be more desirable on the job market
>no no no

you make me sick, take some control over your existence sonny
>>
>>46908345
A lot of companies demand .doc.
>>
>>46908318
At my university that is top 30 in CS.
But seriously if you don't have companies lining up for you if you're going to finish CS your university is doing something wrong. All CS majors are in very high demand...
>>
>>46908345
Who cares?

Only academics and GNU/NEETs care about latex and neither are hiring you
>>
>>46908355
If they don't accept .pdf they are a shit company
>>
>>46908334
>What's wrong with this? Word is the standard
It's the standard for plebs indeed.
>>46908355
And I would never want to work for any of those companies. If they can't read my pdf that is beautifully typeset in LaTeX they are not even worth applying.
>>
>>46908308
I'm not going to roll over and take it. If I do fail, then I will have failed fighting. Not just by giving up.
>>
>>46908361
If you judge companies by their HR ladies you are an idiot.
>>
>>46908206

?assuming you are op

any SE that reads that would be mega suspicious. If this is the main work experience you have that related to professional work you need to sell it better. Talk about what the app is about, vaguely if you have some restrictive NDA.

You should at least be able to talk about how the code is structured (did you read over the activities? how did you change the front end? what are the different things you did to debug and test the xml?)

given that your courses haven't taught you about code control, you should teach yourself basic SVN or git.

also, learn python. you'll thank yourself down the line.
>>
>>46908356
>All CS majors are in very high demand
not really, outside America CS majors are pretty fucked
>>
>>46908359
looks matter
>>
>>46908327
There are two issues your view exposes. The first is the (wrong) notion that people care about your life. They don't. I mean your mom probably does, but that's it.

The second issue is that people in a position to hire you are interested in the most current summary of your ability to do the job in question. You have many skills and anecdotes in your life, but if you're being evaluated for a Software Engineer job, they just want to know if you have the breadth and depth of knowledge within the scope of the languages and paradigms the company uses. Crucially, they don't care about the process of learning those skills, but the result.

You learned JavaScript, then got into PHP and later went back and learned more JS and got into isomorphic programming and then learned Ruby, followed by RoR and then Python and Django before ultimately settling on Flask because it was leaner. Nobody cares. All they want to see is
>Proficient with JavaScript, PHP, Python, Ruby
>Familiar with various web development frameworks, including Django, Flask, Meteor, and RoR

Again, if they read to the halfway point of the first page and nothing has made it clear that you're qualified and worth reading till the end, they're just going to throw you onto the "maybe" pile. They have dozens of applicants who can answer their question ("are you qualified") with the same "yes" that you're giving, but succinctly and directly.
>>
>>46908370
Yes, there's an NDA. Not up for another two years, so I can't exactly talk about details.

I don't know how to condense "I LITERALLY FUCKING DID EVERYTHING" into a resume.

I designed the GUI, wrote the logic to interpret data received from our home servers, wrote the algorithms to send readable data from the device to our servers, designed the GUI, and everything inbetween. Everything that app did was of my own doing.
>>
>>46908359
LaTeX is amazing. Once you start using it you will see exactly why people recommend it. The templates for LaTeX are a million times better than the templates for word.
>>46908368
No real reason for a company not to accept PDF files. Any computer can open them these days.
>>
>>46908374
>not really, outside America CS majors are pretty fucked
[citation needed]
All statistics I see are begging for more CS majors. And again they are lining up to get us at my uni. Idk why you think it's different outside of murricuntica. Is it a) because you failed to get a CS degree? or is it b) because you went to a shitty university?
>>
>>46908379
Source Serif Pro looks nicer to non-academics.
LaTeX looks nicer to academic CS people.

I'm a CS academic and even I recognize when LaTeX isn't necessary.
>>
>>46907081
>I've given out 20+ of these and gotten a SINGLE fucking response.
You poor fucking baby, how do you live?
>>
>>46908401
Oh, and I also taught myself SVN in the context of my own workplace. I had to have some kind of version control to avoid fucking over everything I'd done because I'm a moron.
>>
>>46908359
>Only academics and GNU/NEETs care about latex and neither are hiring you
heuheuheuheu.

Fucking look at OP's resume. If I would get it would be in the trash instantly. And i'm shit tier at making things look beautiful. But my ass can make something better with LaTeX.
>>
>>46908405
>All statistics I see are begging for more CS majors.
To drive the wages down. Let's keep this a good market for the employees and not the employers.
>>
>>46908401
What you described already sounds better than 'java application on da android os and i did da algorithms"
>>
>>46908424
Alright. Cool.

I haven't explained it well the last three times? Ask me different fucking questions. If you keep asking me the same thing, I'm going to keep saying the same fucking thing. every. single. time.
>>
MAKE SOME FUCKING ANDROID APPS
PUT THEM ON GITHUB
AAAAAAAH
>>
>>46908365
>It's the standard for plebs indeed.
>muh latex

Nobody uses it outside of basement dwelling freetards who like spending four times as long making the same thing as they could in word all because they hate microsoft.
>>
>>46908409
Nah, that's just wrong.

Especially to the people who never heard of LaTeX, a LaTeX document looks impressive.

And you do know LaTeX doesn't force you to use Computer Modern or something as font, right?
>>
>>46908397
And to be clear, I'm not advocating a generic resume. I'm just advocating succinctness. If you have 2 pages of dense material, then by all means let your resume be 2 pages, but most people on /g/ have too little work experience to justify that. Filling your resume to 2 pages just to be unique will get you thrown out. People see hundreds of resumes a day and they start to get good at reading between the lines, so if you throw in a weakly related job, or your bullet point is just some bullshit fluff, or something like that, they *WILL* read it for the weakness that it is. You don't want that.

If you have very little work experience, a ~1 page resume VERY directed at the job listing in question (nailing every question this specific resume reader will have) will get you the interview.
>>
>>46907532
That means that he did not take the equivalent of 8 credits worth of courses because he was able to test out of those courses. Is this hard to understand?
>>
>>46908431
I recently tried to write some algorithm pseudocode in Word.
It was a fucking nightmare.

Everyone in exact sciences should use LaTeX, it's so much more painless.
>>
>>46908444
why are you two even arguing about credits?
>>
>>46908405
>All statistics I see are begging for more CS majors
do you also believe in STEM grads shortage?
>>
>>46908401
>I designed the GUI, wrote the logic to interpret data received from our home servers, wrote the algorithms to send readable data from the device to our servers, designed the GUI, and everything inbetween. Everything that app did was of my own doing.
Big fucking woop. You want a fucking award for it? Your just another shitty android dev.
Do you even know the Gang of Four?
Can you properly -design- software?
Are you literally aiming to be a code monkey? Cause that what's i'm hearing.
You are part of the reason CS is being set equal to "huehuehuehue java code monkey". It probably is at your uni though...
>>
>>46908461
>mfw they're gonna teach children programming here in primary school
fuck, I'll be out of a job in 10 years
>>
>>46908461
Like he said, it's all about the university. From a top university, any STEM graduate with 3.3+ GPA or so shouldn't have a problem getting some kind of decent job. Grads outside of that criteria (and there are a lot of those) that chance falls off rather quickly.
>>
>>46908479
Most businesses want a code monkey
>>
>>46908486
Most businesses want you to work 10 hours a day for free, so what?
>>
>>46908415

put that on your resume, knowing SVN means you know perforce, which is what big corporates use

also, I don't think listing off technologies you used for the app is considered to be a breach of your NDA (I'd read the papers again). If it is, you can always store your experience with xyz libraries in an education or hobbies section

if worst comes to worst you can apply to some entry QA jobs or join a 3-6 month dev bootcamp to get your foot it the door

gl with the jobsearch
>>
>>46908461
It's not about what I believe. It's about what I see happening: Companies begging for us, CS being top 3 highest paying starting wages in my country, 100k+ jobs in the ICT sector, etc.

Seriously If you think they job market for CS majors of a half decent uni is shit you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>46908524
and what country is that?
>>
>>46908534
Belgium, tiny little Belgium.
>>
>>46908542
Might be true but I'm not a yuro gommunist
>>
>>46908481
Finland?
>>
>>46908542
>100k
>Belgium
So 40k after tax?
>>
>>46908551
>Might be true but I'm not a yuro gommunist
Clearly because you know nothing about anything.
It's probably because of this:
http://ian56.blogspot.be/2015/03/90-of-us-media-is-owned-by-just-6.html

Keep the people dumb and they will obey. :^)
"What is the NSA still mass spying on us even after it was exposed? Surely not!"
>>
>>46907081
Linkedin is your friend.

Get linkedin.
Start a technical blog on the business you want to work in.
Get your details into a recruitment agency. They can give you credibility, too.

Good luck.
>>
>>46907400
The fact that you've made and put up an app on the Android marketplace is several hundreds times better than your experience with 'ultimate frisbee'
>>
>Come to 4chan to escape reality of no job
>Personal help threads everywhere

The fuck are janitors doing
>>
>>46908573
>So 40k after tax?
It's an estimated amount of jobs (number is 2 years old irc), not a wage.

But yes I'm very glad we have such an amazing healthcare system and top tier universities for our precious taxes. Surely our government can use this money even more efficient but that's true for nearly all governments.
>>
>>46908630
>I just want to be self-destructive and get nowhere in life
>the rest of the world isn't as pathetic and worthless
>wahhh
>>
>>46908637
>wahhh why won't anon hold my hand and do everything for me
>mommy said that I'm worth something, it's not my retarded self's fault that I don't have a job
>wahhhh
>>
>>46907985
Remove nationaility and birthday/birthplace. EU law requires that these aren't included to prevent discrimination. Squash that whole section of personal/contact info onto 2 or 3 lines.

Replace 'very good' with 'excellent'

Remove driving license class. Unless it's anything other than the standard type of license, you shouldn't have to specify it
>>
>>46908572
Netherlands
>>
File: resumefor4chan.png (109 KB, 565x797) Image search: [Google]
resumefor4chan.png
109 KB, 565x797
>>46907985
>>46908684
I don't mind birthday and place.

I have mashed it down to 1 page, admittedly there was a lot of bullshit. Made some spacing smaller and added Github link, but it looks a bit out of place.
>>
>>46908719
Don't worry you're all just worse Germans in every way except drug tourism
>>
>>46908655
So is your bitching that people are asking others for help?
>>
>>46908740
No just that you retards shouldn't bitch about your pathetic life in a board about technology.

Sorry you're too retarded to understand this simple concept.
>>
>>46908720
You're in Germany you lucky bastard go to the CCC sometime
>>
How long should a cover letter be?
Is 300 words too much?
>>
>>46908751
This thread isn't bitching, it's trying to find a solution. You're the one that was bitching about your pathetic life, insisting that you're hopeless and that this place is just for wallowing your worthless life away.

Maybe this isn't the shithole you need. Go find a dive bar and drink yourself to death.
>>
>>46908756
I want to but it's so far away :(
>>
>>46908684
>Remove driving license class

Like I said above, some people care. We literally can't hire anyone without a car because we are > 1hr from public transport and we send people to meet clients.

Lots of juniors with reasonable CV's have gone in the trash because they show up on a bike.
>>
>>46908767
Is there an aspect of the job that requires people to be able to drive, or do you just throw their resumes out because they ride bikes?
>>
>>46908761
>Implying I'm him
>Implying /g/ is for faggots like you to get your resume looked at

Knew I should have paid that whore to abort you
>>
>>46908783
Are you serious? Why are you jumping into a thread, not making it clear that you're someone else, and taking up their flag until it's no longer convenient for you?

Fucking kill yourself, retard.
>>
>>46908783
it's awfully convenient to distance yourself from your posts by claiming to be someone else only after your posts are called out for their idiocy.
>>
>>46908791
>Waah why can't I shitpost as I please
>F-f-fucking k-kill yourself

What did your parents do to deserve you? Just kill yourself. Free them.

It's easy anon, do some good for your parents. You know it's the right choice.
>>
File: whore.gif (398 KB, 480x238) Image search: [Google]
whore.gif
398 KB, 480x238
>You will never be a retard begging for life advice on 4chan of all places

Feels great
>>
>>46908799
lol.
>>
>>46908797
it's awfully convenient to scream 'samefag' by claiming that there can be only one person who finds your pathetic life and resulting shitposting rather idiotic
>>
/g/ - neets asking resume advice from other neets then getting upset when told to stop posting off topic threads

welp, time to move on to reddit
>>
>>46908822
okay kid. keep up your autism. it's totally working.
>>
File: u mad.png (39 KB, 434x314) Image search: [Google]
u mad.png
39 KB, 434x314
>>46908834
>kid
>autism
>writes like a ten year old

Step it up you worthless faggot that will never amount to anything
>>
>>46908852
Okay kid.
>>
File: 1425547925021.png (317 KB, 722x800) Image search: [Google]
1425547925021.png
317 KB, 722x800
easily the shittiest resume i've ever seen

nigga can't fluff shit at all

/thread
>>
File: resumefor4chan.png (32 KB, 567x798) Image search: [Google]
resumefor4chan.png
32 KB, 567x798
>>46908757
A single page. My last application letter was around 170 words.
>>
>>46908778
>Is there an aspect of the job that requires people to be able to drive

Yes, the part where you get sent to meet a client and it's in the city, an hour's drive away.
>>
>>46908856
Well that's a step forward.

Hopefully you can finally work up the courage to finally kill yourself and do the people around you some good for once.

Meanwhile you just keep shitposting lashing at others to try and forget what a worthless little shit you are.

yw
>>
>>46908867
then it's fine to require that someone can drive (or throw out candidates who can't drive), isn't it?

If the job doesn't call for something, your resume shouldn't mention it. Nobody cares if you play the oboe. You're applying for a software engineering job, not for a seat on the philharmonic.
>>
>>46908879
Best of luck with your tantrums, kid.
>>
>>46908867
boy it feels good not having to drive anywhere in the last three years
>>
>>46908891
>Nobody cares if you play the oboe.
It's just to show that you have other interests besides computers. Nothing bad about it.
>>
>>46908913
It's more like something you can bring up during an interview for the inevitable 'what do you do outside of work' question. Good to have an answer that's not completely autistic and can make you look semi-cultured.
>>
>>46907081
> I've given out 20+ of these and gotten a SINGLE fucking response.

You didn't put any contact information on there, that's why.

Anyway I don't really know what a resume is supposed to be like since in my country we use CVs instead which have turned into some nightmare of bullshitting and selling yourself. But the advice I could give is, first of all, improve the formatting appearance. There's a lot of white space there and the titles on the left don't look good, so it doesn't really support your claim to being good with MS Office. Your university bit looks fine but maybe have some grades in there and put the University of Stuttgart bit in with it. Have the CS internship above the non-cs job. Improve the non-cs job bit, the english isn't that good (eg "work directlv" should be "worked directly"). Since it's not a cs job the best thing you can do with it is emphasise what other skills you have developed that would be useful. The "taking initiative..." line is vague, maybe give a better example of what you did. Instead of "Must be able to work unsupervised" try "Trusted to work independently" or something.

Relevant computer skills: If you can, give some examples of what you've done. You said you're proficient with Netbeans and eclipse so that would surely mean you're more than 'familiar' with Java? Familiar doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, put "Competent/Capable in use of Java, having done X"

The ultimate frisbee bit isn't doing any harm, but seems a bit out of place on its own. It's good to talk about extracurricular stuff so they know you're not a drone, is there anything more you can add other than ultimate frisbee? Or any achievements you've made relating to it or other activities?
>>
>>46908913
It's not worth taking space on your resume. People don't infer that you're a robot from your resume. Just show up and be friendly in the interview. Let your ability to play oboe, your interest in photography, etc... come up in real conversation.
>>
>Studying: Computers
>Interests: Frisbee

What.

Learn to embellish and be descriptive. Don't include hobbies that are nothing to do with what you're studying/applying for. Why would you tell them you like frisbee? Is it to demonstrate you're a team player? Then allude to it (pro-tip: use the word team). If not, then take it out.

"I have had a longstanding interest in emerging technologies both software and hardware, which is what influenced my decision to study Computer Science.

I also enjoy playing team sports, especially frisbee."

Also, write in sentences.
>>
>>46907081
>minor in German
Fucking Nazi anti-Semite
>>
The typography of your resume looks disgusting for one. I'd put the relevant internships ahead of the previous work in this case considering your previous work isnt related. Makes the reader waste less time. Github and projects is a good idea to show your work.
>>
>>46909292
why is this a bad thing?
>>
>>46909318
It's a compliment
>>
>>46907165
>hurr
>durr
>>
File: PhotoNote_1425800393010_7578.jpg (365 KB, 726x735) Image search: [Google]
PhotoNote_1425800393010_7578.jpg
365 KB, 726x735
>>
>>46909053
Having it written on the resume, which they'll have before them, may prompt the conversation. If it's not there and they don't ask about anything that leads you to talk about it then you miss a chance to show them what sort of person you are outside of work. It's not a big deal as they'll already know enough but I don't think it hurts to have it there when it might be helpful.
>>
>>46909387
>expected grade
/g/ is literally the only place I've been to where people think that employers give half a shit about your grades.
>>
>>46909404
Your university degree's overall grade is massively important. Your individual module's grades are not important.
>>
>>46909387
This is good advice.

OP, thank this anon.
>>
I just realized that phone numbers should be in the international standard format. Especially in this day and age where you could be sending CVs across the world...

Similarly, postal addresses should have country. For example, there's Cambridge, USA and Cambridge, UK... Well you could infer from the Zip/Postal code but it's less hassle to just include it.
>>
>>46909387
He's almost completely right..

Drop ANYTHING not related to the job you're applying for, so like working in a magazine in a convience store is unrelated and can be removed.

List your related experiences,

X years of C++. (maybe a few sub things)
-Worked with C Make, Make and used different compilers like MSVC and G++
x years working with Visual Studio
x years working with netbeans

Years explained:
I use both Netbeans and Visual studio almost daily for different projects

Have a lot of knowledge about computer hardware
Have a good understanding on how software works on Linux/Windows/Whatever. (When you have your interview, try mentioning things like the software protection rings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_ring) It'll make you seem smart and very knowledgeable and other things like this (Probably more programming related though)

Things like this are relevant and what the interviewer will want to see/hear about.
>>
File: reaction_image.jpg (33 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
reaction_image.jpg
33 KB, 400x225
>telling the truth in your resume
>>
>>46909638
not everybody are lying japs
>>
>>46907736
The proper one is S.T.A.R.

Situation - background on anecdote
Task - What had to be done.
Action - How it was carried out
Result - What the result was.
>>
>>46907081
Stating Android experience in a general CV make you look like a fanboy.
>>
>>46909638
We actually check every detail mentioned in a CV for accuracy. We are for grades. We call all references and spend at least 15 minutes with them. Yes, even for students. This is post 9/11 fellas.
>>
>>46909651
Not everybody has a job either

To get a job you have to lie, it's how it works. Employers expect you to lie, too.
So when you put the truth, they think "jesus christ how bad does this person really have to be for THIS to be the lies?"
>>
>>46909764
See
>>46909756
>>
>>46909694
S.T.A.R.R
Situation
Task
Action
Result
Reflection
>>
>>46909541
Add also any soft skills and abilities. Especially working with a team and put some examples on how you dealt with complex situations. Personally, I would like to see that on a CV.
>>
>>46907081
Why so much whitespace?
>>
>>46909839
>how you dealt with complex situations
Like what? My life is a fucking mess but I don't think you want that as a complex situation dealt.
>>
>>46907165
Pretty much this.

Also, the poor english makes me think more of an Indian code monkey than an actual talented developer.

Also, if OP goes to pleb school, he shouldn't expect google to call him.
>>
>>46909839
>put some examples on how you dealt with complex situations
That does not really belong on a resume. They would ask you that in the interview
>How does a typical day look like for you?
>Let's say ... happens, how would you ... ?
>>
>>46907481
>LaTeX

That, right away, screams autism
>>
>>46907985
>Primary school

kek

>Drivers license class B

kek

Also, if you have a white sounding name and weren't born in a shithole, keep the citizenship and place of birth.
>>
>>46909942
see the revision >>46908720 and debate about drivers license after, I don't think it hurts mentioning
>>
>>46908767
>Sending interns to client meetings

Shit company detected

>>46909981
Good thing you kept the place of birth and nationality. Be proud of your aryan heritage.
>>
>>46909981
>I don't think it hurts mentioning
being able to drive a car isn't a particularly notable skill
>>
Make your schooling look like it only took 4 years ago to don't have to feel like you're defending yourself if they ask about it. I took an extra semester to finish and wrote 2010-2014 without any months and no one knows/cares it was 4.5 years.

Just say 2012 - 2016 and say you took time out before starting to figure or what you wanted to do or some shit.
>>
>>46909872
How you worked out issues when workingon team projects at uni would be good.
>>
>>46909921
Well if you claim you excel when working in teams, you might want to give an example. But you're right, as long as you can substantiate that claim in an eventual interview is also good.
>>
>>46909925
Not really. It means being tidy and caring about presentation.

>>46910039
Depends on the job. I would only include this if applying for a job that requires it.
>>
I'm part of a group at work that reviews resumés and interviews software engineers for my team. Here are my thoughts.

1. Most places aren't looking for interns. They want full time developers. Even after you graduate, you'll probably struggle because they would prefer experienced candidates. The fact that you haven't graduated yet disqualifies you right away from many places.
2. Remove the "relevant coursework" section. If you say you're a computer science student, you don't need to mention courses that are a part of every CS curriculum in existence. It's redundant.
3. Don't say "on the Android OS". That sounds like my parents who say "The Google". Just say "for Android".
4. "Wrote algorithms to ensure efficient communication between the application and employer databases". What does that even mean? Anytime someone talks about "writing algorithms" and gives no details, I immediately suspect they know jack shit and are just trying to reuse a word they learned in CS101. What did you actually do with this, OP? Did you use SQL? Did you use an ORM? Was it local or did you use REST or SOAP?
5. "Familiar with Java and C++". How? You give no examples. If I see a resumé that lists a bunch of technologies, but it's never mentioned what they used them for, their resumé goes into the trash immediately. The one exception was a guy I interviewed about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to trash his resumé because he did exactly that, but the manager above me really wanted me to speak to him. I did, and just as I suspected, he didn't know anything. It was literally the worst interview I ever conducted. The guy bombed and HARD.
6. "Microsoft Office". Are you a secretary or a developer? This shit is basically assumed. You might as well say you are proficient in browsing the web and using email. Listing IDEs isn't too bad, but the fact that you don't list any useful tools like git, svn, findbugs, Sonar, testing frameworks, or anything that requires real knowledge is a red flag to me.
>>
>>46910238
>5. "Familiar with Java and C++". How? You give no examples.
There's only so much space on a 1 page resume, in your opinion is it enough to mention some stuff on the cover letter and/or include Github? Because you can't list stuff for every language you know on there, and even just mentioning (lesser known) projects by their name won't do a lot I imagine.
>>
>>46910311
Most companies don't care about every language you know, you should target your resume and leave what's relevant for them.
>>
>>46907329
First of all, use better words.

Curriculum vitae
> this is now your title

Get rid of the giant black blocks, they look bad.

Do you have a personal statement written down? A quick why you want to work there and what your working skills are.

Use written instead of wrote....

Familiar with Java and C++ is bad, use proficient. Selling yourself is important, never make your self look bad on a CV.

The line studied for on year abroad... is not needed.

But the overall issue is the presentation of the document, look at over CV's online and follow there style.
>>
>>46910238
Places ARE looking for interns as they're basically unpaid help, A lot of software/game companies ask for interns, not only for free work but also to educate upcoming developers and for networking purposes
>>
>>46910362
In the US you can only not pay interns if they're doing it as a practicum for school (and they take units and stuff).
>>
>>46910362
>unpaid help

Yuropoor detected
>>
>>46910384
depens where. in germany they have to pay you if it's longer than 3 months. but most companies just pay you anyways (as long as it's not some school stuff where you are not helping anyways). in scandinavia it's also common practice to pay.
>>
Maybe build a website for yourself that has a lot of your work presented and put a link to your site on the resume.
>>
>>46910362
>unpaid internship
top kek, I got into intern without spending even one month in uni and still got paid 40% of mimum wage
>>
>>46910238
>resumé
it's résumé
>>
File: 2015-03-08 09.18.13.png (269 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-08 09.18.13.png
269 KB, 1080x1920
Here's what a sexy resume with no real substance looks like (first semester into my program)
>>
>>46910426

>Not even getting minimum wage

Wow, never realized yurop was so poor.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.