[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any purpose of having more than 2 monitor aside from gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8
File: PMKUWzY[1].jpg (903 KB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
PMKUWzY[1].jpg
903 KB, 2988x5312
Is there any purpose of having more than 2 monitor aside from gaming?
>>
>>46903169
Trading.
I actually need more
>>
>>46903169
>Is there any purpose of having more than 2 monitor aside from gaming?
Yes.
It's a little something called Work.

>2 monitors or more for anything but work
>>
so we're not using SQTDTOT any more?
>>
Stock trade and music software (having a edit and mix windows separately)
>>
>>46903169
projects larger than fizzbuzz?
>>
i have 3. it's nice to be able to fullscreen my text editor on one screen, terminals on another, and web browser on the last. saves a lot of time that would have otherwise been spent switching between windows and moving them around,
>>
>>46903169
Do you not know how to use your computer?
I have 2 screens and use workspaces a lot. like...A LOT.
>>
coding
writing documents and doing research on something simultaneously
watching some video and doing something else at the same time
>>
>>46903169
Is there any reason of having such a high res picture when it has shit quality
>>
>>46903169
What a fatty.
>>
I don't work, but it's very nice to have two or more monitors. I'm currently using my laptop with a crap tn monitor. I practice web coding and have live view on one and code on the other. Or working homework on one, browser on the other
>>
>>46904243
>smartphone cameras
Terrible, all of them
>>
>>46903169
Does she get naked
>>
>>46904614
I, too, wish to know this
>>
I have 4 right now. I could probably dump 1 but I wouldn't want to work with fewer than 3 (2 in portrait orientation, and my laptop as sort of the "default" screen).

Coding, terminal stuff, browsing the web, etc... really shines in portrait orientation, and multiple monitors means more content. You could argue for a 30" monitor and tiling, but I've gone this way instead.
>>
I struggle with this question a lot. My second monitor is more a distraction and annoyance right now, but my setup looks better with two, so I usually never use it.
>>
>>46903205
This.

/thread
>>
I got 3 monitors
I do video work, modeling, and a little bit of coding in my free time
When modeling, I can have a full screen dedicated to just the modeling, a second screen for the graph editors and other shit, and have another screen open with settings and a render preview open.
3 monitors can have many other useful implementations in a working environment, but i was mainly explaining the one i am most familiar with.
>>
File: screen.jpg (188 KB, 1919x1080) Image search: [Google]
screen.jpg
188 KB, 1919x1080
I much rather use Windows Key + right or left arrow keys to arrange the windows instead of dragging them to another screen and having to turn my head to look at them.

My other monitor is turned off right now, I'm seriously considering putting it away to have some extra space on my desk.
>>
>>46903169
>>46905764
Doing GIS data analysis and mapping, its nice to be able to have the parameters/data manipulation on one screen and the actual rendering on another. Too little space on one screen.
>>
>>46904614
>>46904632
+1
>>
>he doesn't use GNU/Linux and multiple virtual desktops which completely eliminate the need for multimonitor which is a fucking stupid hack created by macfags to make themselves seem cooler than they really are
>>
>>46905764
>not using Windows Key + Shift + Arrow Key to move windows between monitors
>>
>>46906427
uwotm8

I use loonix and sometimes winblows and I still have use for multi monitor setups. It's just easier if you can look at multiple things at one time without the need to keep switching back and forth or do some bullshit "snap" to the edges bullshit in which the visibility is reduced like 10 fold.
>>
I only use my second monitor for foobar, keyboard shortcuts are faster than rotating my head.
>>
Graphic arts editing, company interfaces. I have 2 at work, want 3, am jealous of people with 4.
>>
I can never go back to one.

It's just so restrictive.
>>
>>46903169
I have 3 asus pb278qs, I only use the center one for gaming, the more monitors the more productive.
>>
I have my second one turned off most of the time. When I'm on Windows I have VirtuaWin for multiple desktops, and every GNU/Loonix WM has it anyway. The second monitor can be handy but is not very useful (aside from gaming as you say).
>>
>>46906556
>using anything other than a terminal window for linux.

Nigger I don't even have a desktop environment installed for any of my linux machines
>>
>>46906550
Same here, multiple monitors, but only one for gaming.

It's awesome being able to see shit while you're gaming
>>
how is a second monitor useful for gaming? i don't really play videos games obviously ha ha
>>
File: 1422152747176.jpg (63 KB, 497x516) Image search: [Google]
1422152747176.jpg
63 KB, 497x516
>>46906572
>>
>>46906572
>using X
bare tty master race
>>
>>46906588
My main desktop is a windows 7 machine.

Why do you need the gui on linux? anything the gui can do the command line can do better.

if you really really have to, install apache and use a webui for whatever you are doing.

Also I am a sysadmin, I think my most useful VM is nagios.
>>
File: 3 monitor eyefinity.png (1 MB, 1920x557) Image search: [Google]
3 monitor eyefinity.png
1 MB, 1920x557
>>46906587
something like this
>>
>>46906619
are you saying you still use graphical apps, but just launch them from the command line?
>>
>>46906619
You'd rather use

app -some -obscure -switch

than

app -> menu -> thing

damn you're demented
>>
File: boobs.png (64 KB, 295x167) Image search: [Google]
boobs.png
64 KB, 295x167
>>
>>46906633
only odd numbers of monitors are good for gaming, even number means bezel in the center
>>
>great head
>eager to please
>comfortable
>wants it as much as you do

Nothing wrong with having a healthy looking girl with child bearing hips and a pair of globulous teets.
>>
>>46906650
>>46906637
Command line is faster bros.

Also from terminal, I am just a few keystrokes away from any other machine.

Most of the VMs have just one thing installed and running on them.
>>
>>46906873
Now that I think about it, even on my laptop with ubuntu, I don't use the mouse if I can avoid it.

Moving your hand off the keyboard kills your productivity. I even use keyboard shortcuts in windows.

with vim I don't even have to move away from the home row.
>>
>>46903169
web design. html on one screen browser for easy refresh on other.
>>
>>46906550
>asus pb278qs
How is that monitor? I've been thinking of purchasing one for a while.
>>
Working faggot.
>>
>>46903169
>Main windows on monitor 1
>Skype on monitor 2

>Drawing I'm working on on monitor 1
>Reference on monitor 2

>>46905764
>having to turn my head to look at them.
oh man you're right, that's like a whole 2 inches I have to turn just to look. Having a compressed life on 1 monitor would be much better.
>>
File: Mousepad.jpg (257 KB, 1600x1195) Image search: [Google]
Mousepad.jpg
257 KB, 1600x1195
>>
File: screeeeen.jpg (1 MB, 5530x1680) Image search: [Google]
screeeeen.jpg
1 MB, 5530x1680
>>46906727
yeah i have 5

two rows

top row is 4:3 screen and 16:10 screen
second row is 21:9 in the middle, 16:9 on the left and 16:10 in portrait

heres screenshot of 1st row
>>
>>46903169
>One for emails
>One for documentation
>One for the code
>>
>>46903169
..who's this girl?
>>
>>46903169
my minimum is 3 screens

1 screen for documentation
1 screen to work
1 screen for chat+web
>>
>>46903169
>People think they can actually multi-task on their multiple monitors.
>>
>>46909788
why would you be chatting and browsing the web while working?
>>
>>46909904
Why would you answer your personal phone while you're working?
>>
>>46909788
This. I desperately need a third screen.
>>
>>46909920
that's not even remotely the same thing

you really think having a monitor dedicated to distracting you is helping your productivity?
>>
>>46909843
Well seeing as multitasking is literally just switching between multiple tasks, and multiple monitors allows you to have those multiple tasks active concurrently, then yes, multiple monitors help with multitasking.
>>
>>46909940
>you really think having a monitor dedicated to distracting you is helping your productivity?

Soulless peon detected.

Productivty doesn't mean shit as long as you get what you need to done and attend work social functions without being a sperg.
>>
>>46909953
I doubt it. Dividing your attention between a bunch of different things at once is just going to mean you aren't focusing on one thing very closely.
>>
>>46909980
That's literally the point of multitasking though.

You're saying you can't multitask, and then changing your argument halfway through and saying that multitasking isn't a good thing to do.

Be consistent.

It helps multitasking.

Also, for me:

>1st screen has documentation on it
>2nd screen has test environment open on it
>3rd screen has document I capture my evidence in on it

Believe me, anything less than 3 screens and my productivity takes a huge hit.
>>
>larger monitor for games, media, and web browsing
> smaller monitor to hold chat Windows, media player controls, task manager, and friends list of pidgin, skype, and steam

I'd never go back to just one after tasting all this freedom.
>>
>>46909940
I'm sorry, I should have prefaced with the fact that I'm not that guy, since I hate when people do this (jump in and then later claim to be unrelated to the first poster).

Still, I don't see how it's unrelated. If you'll check your phone whenever it notifies you of something new, you're beholden to personal messages and notifications either way. Having a monitor to display it doesn't really have any impact on your productivity.

Maybe you could make the argument that dedicating a whole monitor to personal stuff is a waste of a monitor, in which case sure you should have something else on that monitor (but let's face it, nobody enforces hardline rules on these things).

If the monitor has movement or change on it (e.g. a playlist of distracting videos on youtube), then sure that monitor is actively distracting you. If you just have Facebook open, then a quick glance at the page tells you that you have no notifications (red balloons are pretty noticeable). A quick glance is generally less disruptive than bringing Facebook to the forefront of your workspace (e.g. the forefront on the one or two monitors you otherwise use).

You can replace Facebook with "personal email" or "twitter" or whatever else.
>>
>>46909970
If you're going to work, work. If you're going to play, play. I fail to understand the point in having your work taking up an entire screen while you're dicking around on another. It takes no more time to switch to a different desktop than it does to turn your head to another monitor, and you save desk space and electricity.
>>
>>46910032
Thank you for the lesson in focus, Automaton. Please return to bending girders now.
>>
>>46909904
work chat
googling for stuff to help do whatever i need to do
did you ever work in a team?
>>
Why don't you just get a huge monitor? Like 30 inch. Then split your application windows.
Or a really wide one (21:9).
>>
>>46910148
because size doesnt matter much if you'll see everything blurry or pixelated
>>
I don't get why people use multiple monitors when you can minimize windows.
>>
File: reallyfuckingfag.jpg (6 KB, 229x238) Image search: [Google]
reallyfuckingfag.jpg
6 KB, 229x238
>>46909538
>fucking lamborghini in front of Mclaren building
>>
>>46910234
I too enjoy only being able to see one thing at a time.
>>
>>46909502
that fucking dirty ";" key
>>
>>46909502
>mac
>butt mousepad
>dirty buttons
>moba

it doesn't get more pleb than this
>>
Efficiently shitposting in multiple threads on multiple boards
>>
>>46910268
There is also clearly a Maserati symbol on the logo, it is clearly a re-seller of performance super cars.
>>
>>46910280
Doesn't justify the full price of a monitor.
>>
>>46910587
he said, not having experienced it in the first place.
>>
>>46905764
I still do that with 3 monitors. Smaller monitor up top just for monitoring programs (temps, task manager for shit like RAM usage), 2560x1440 main monitor below that spit into two windows with anywhere from 10-20 tabs each, smaller 1920x1080 monitor to the right that's usually turned off but comes on for secondary uses (guides whilst gaming, watching a film while still wanting to do stuff on the main monitor, watching Ebay auctions, etc.).
>>
>>46903169
for posting on facebook, twitter, reddit at the same time, so 3 are needed
>>
>>46910587
not even a little $20 one?
>>
>>46903169
so I can have 6 terminals (~1080pix in height) up with 2 monitors which are only 1600pix in width
>>
4:3 and 16:9 for video
>>
>>46903169
I actually am starting to work with CAD and the urge to go buy and hook up a second monitor or even a third, is slowly growing.

One to just work on a basic model. Simple shit like that. Or maybe I'm fixing something I realized I'd have problems with once I printed it off to test its functionality. Basic shit.

Two if I'm designing something and I have to use tools I've never used and thus, have to have a tutorial or some shit up. Especially in 3D modeling. Something that should have just been a simple cut out can turn into, "Wait, if I cut this out, I can compact my design even further by... Okay, but how do I put this into the program?"

OR

Two if I'm working off of a technical drawing I scanned in and am putting it into CAD

And three if I have two or more inter-working pieces or systems that are too complicated to share on one screen, along with the technical drawings pulled up on the third.

OR if I'm working on something that I'd like to look at simultaneously from different sides and angles. So from the X, Y, or Z axis.
>>
What career does /g/ have that requires more than 2 monitors anyway?
>>
>>46903169
>do stuff on middle monitor (browse online, gaem, work, etc.)
>watch Hockey on the right
>programming on the vertical left
>>
In my work I use a lot of browser pages and lightroom so 3 1440p monitors is perfect.
Don't know what's so special about eyefinity gaming tho, the "stretched" look that you get from the huge FOV looks pretty bad on the side monitors and things like the reticle look like ass due to the poor scaling of certain elements

>>46909538
can you share how you stretched a wallpaper over several screens like that?
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.