[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, I'm starting iOS app development. Thus, I need OS X
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: cheap_osx.png (463 KB, 1028x836) Image search: [Google]
cheap_osx.png
463 KB, 1028x836
/g/, I'm starting iOS app development. Thus, I need OS X Yosemite, one way or another. But I don't want to spend a fortune on a MBP, especially if my app-making is unprofitable.

Buying an MBP is also not viable because I will have to buy a new laptop every time something breaks or stops working.
>inb4 “buy applecare”
In addition, Macs have old hardware, so in a few years, it will already be slow, even though I spend over $1000 for “good quality”.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L875-S7209 laptop with 4 GB RAM. Currently, I'm dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04. Would it be possible to triple-boot with OS X? If so, how? Note that I am willing to replace my Ubuntu installation with OS X if needed.

I would get an XPS, and install OS X on it (the XPS has better hardware, and it can dual-boot Windows 7), but the installation process is difficult, and the risk of ruining the computer is high.

So what do?

Thanks for your advice.
>>
>>46865427
buy a mac you dumb faggot
>>
If you want to get into development just buy a mac.
>>
>>46865427
something something gentoo
>>
>>46865427
you could get a mac mini
>>
>>46865427

or get a macbook like mid 2010 from ebay, and triple boot linux/windows/osx on it. best of all it will all work correctly, no need for hours of hours of research
>>
>Buying an MBP is also not viable because I will have to buy a new laptop every time something breaks or stops working.
>In addition, Macs have old hardware, so in a few years, it will already be slow, even though I spend over $1000 for “good quality”.

you sound like a very smart person i hope your illustrious app career works out
>>
>>46865427
buy an older mac that could run yosemite
>>
>>46865427
>Is it possible to triple boot OSX?
As far as I know,unless you have two HDDS in your laptop,no.
Hackintosh needs a whole drive formatted in a different format that only OSX uses( its called Mac OSX journaled) or some shit like that.
If you want to dual boot on a laptop,get a laptop where you can extend the storage,so that you can use a whole drive for Yosemite ONLY and one for windows.
>the risk of ruining the computer is high.
Nah I don't think so.Worst case scenario you just have to do a fresh windows install.
>>
>>46865427

It depends on the specifics of your laptop. Laptops are notoriously difficult to run OS X on successfully, but there are some that can manage it.

I've looked up your laptop to see if the chipset is compatible and some people have reported success with similar configurations. You might be able to install it. Triple boot is harder to configure but try and use Clover (EFI boot) over chameleon or Chimera to boot into OS X.

I don't see how you can ruin your computer by trying to install OS X on it, just make sure you back everything up and reinstall if things go wrong. You're only fucking with the software.

You may have issues with your wifi card, networking, and sound. If your sound is a Realtek ALCxxx series and your ethernet is one of the newer realtek cards you could get that to work.

Your WIFI would need to be a specific Broadcom card, possibly an atheros but the drivers for those cards are only 32bit if i'm not mistaken.
>>
>>46865484
How good are these? When I see the sub $1000 price tag for an apple computer I can't help but think they're garbage.
>>
>>46865550
You can partition hard drives you know
>>
>>46865427
Do you know what a virtual machine is?
>>
>>46865585
>>46865587
this is /g/ of course they don't know those things
>>
>>46865427
if you don't know how to install OSX without a DISTRO [ie with the dmg or .app from the Apple App Store] you should use a Distro, I suggest NIRESH, and honestly you don't need Yosemite, anything you can do with Yosemite is accomplishable and probably more stable with Mavericks, there is a 10.9.0 niresh dmg that you can use, your only issue with any hackintosh is updating to the latest build of the OS, chances are you will need a custom kernel, and some custom kext for the update process to go smoothly.

if you keep up on some insanelymac, osx86, and hackintosh [niresh.co] forums you should have no issues troubleshooting and moving forward with your install.

Again I recommend the following
10.9 Niresh Mavericks
Transmac [demo is fine] for writing the install to your USB
!0.9.5 combined update
Multibeast for Mavericks on the prepared USB or a secondary USB

If you have AMD look into using this install guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuGZrgSYuDY

Also if you are planning on using Chameleon I suggest you get both the Chameleon Wizard and the Kext Wizard [needed for updating]
>>
>>46865587
I only have 4 GB of RAM. I would definitely use a VM if I had 8GB.
>>
>>46865587
honestly running OSX on anything other than ESXi with the unlocker is complete shit, you get no hardware acceleration; and is basically unusable for high end computing.
>>
I'm posting from a Mid-2010 15 inch MBP. It runs (almost) 24 hours a day. I have only ever had 1 hardware problem. In early 2014, the motherboard failed, due to a known defect. Because I was out of warranty, Apple did not replace the motherboard for free, but they did replace it for less money than it would have cost to buy a motherboard myself, and in only two days as well.

I've replaced the hard-drives multiple times (needed more space, currently using 1Tb+1Tb) without any problems. There is a slight dent on the metal frame near the left control key. Absolutely nothing else has gone wrong. Not a single dead pixel, cracked screen, dead RAM stick, nothing.

TL;DR MBP's are tough machines.

There's also used 2010 Mac-Pro towers on the market, plus the Mac-Mini, and Hackintoshing if you're in to that sort of thing.
>>
>>46865817
RAM is cheap. Buy some.
>>
>>46865867
>In early 2014, the motherboard failed, due to a known defect. Because I was out of warranty, Apple did not replace the motherboard for free.

How does it feel to be an Apple cuck?

>in only two days as well

Shame that Dell, HP and Lenovo will do it NBD and on site as well.
>>
>Toshiba Satellite L875-S7209
>i3
>HD 3000
Should work, probably have to replace wireless card for $10, but since you didn't post any useful specs I can't tell for certain.
>>
>>46866233
Dell will come to my house, and replace a broken part on a 4 year old laptop that has long since been out of warranty for less money than it would cost to be the part separately? Source or I call bullshit.

>>46866233
>How does it feel to be an Apple cuck?
Pretty damn good. How does it feel to be a meme spouting fuckwit?
>>
Buy a hackintosh on ebay

Buy a white 2010 unibody macbook which runs yosemite and costs about $250
>>
>>46866293
Yeah I disagree as a former Dell owner, I paid for an extended warranty past 2 years and even then it reached a point where they no longer let me extend it
>>
>>46866277

My wireless controller is:
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

Will that work? Are there any other requirements?
>>
>buy new macbook
>sell before refresh
>repeat
You're now set either for life or till Apple goes out of business.
>>
>>46866661
>t
multibeast has kext for RTL81xx so you should be good
>>
>>46865587
>iOS dev
>knowing what a vm is
>>
>>46865427
>Buying an MBP is also not viable because I will have to buy a new laptop every time something breaks or stops working.
I've had 2 Macs in 7 years. My wife has had 2 macs in the same timeframe. The upgrade was my choice. Maybe your definition of 'good quality' is skewed because of the amount of dick you suck on a daily basis? Or maybe the better reality is that if you can't solve this simple problem without coming to the internet (and you came here to get it solved is truly answer in itself) you will never be a programmer.
>>
>>46866883
>>46865587
>doing production work in an unstable environment
>>
>>46865427
The tools barely work without apple^tm hardware, good luck running the simulator in a virtual machine or explaining to apple why you use the weakest encryption when you signed your app because everything else kernel paniced your hackintosh.
>>
>I'm starting iOS app development
>but I don't want to own a mac

Go all the way or just fucking quit now. Don't half ass it, fag.

Catpcha: subpar
>>
>>46866941
I'm already a programmer. I just want to start with iOS development.

And I say that there will be bad quality because since I will be buying an old (read: pre-2009) MBP, I know that the hardware will get deprecated and outdated quickly.
>>
>>46866338
As a former dell and lenovo owner, their customer service is fucking garbage.

They don't give a shit once they have sold you a laptop.

>>46865427

You need to buy a mac or macbook if you want to use OS X. Get the Mac mini for $500, less if used.

I have been there and done that with a thinkpad. OSX Yosemite doesn't run well at all on a Virtual Machine and is not stable at all. Dual booting is complete shit too. Hacintoshs are a viable solution, but they are also really unstable.

tl;dr buy a used mac mini
>>
>>46866993
As others have mentioned, Macs that old still work.
>But muh outdated hardware!
If you seriously expect to find a future proof laptop that is over 5 years old I have some bad news for you.
>>
>>46867018
Isn't portability a huge problem for the Mini? I take my laptop almost everywhere, and I can't even imagine having to carry around a display, keyboard, and mouse to classes, the coffeeshop, etc.
>>
>>46867417
I'd imagine portability is a problem for most desktop computers
>>
>>46865427
You are a fucking moron. Please stay away from all development in general.
>>
>>46865427
Are you from TVZ?
>>
>>46867483
People actually only code at home?
>>
>>46867583
Of course not, I write programs on my laptop and ssh into my server for compiling.
>>
>>46867607
I'd like to use Swift to make (and submit) apps, which means that I'd need Xcode on my laptop when I program on the go.
Does that mean that I should get a MacBook Air instead of a Mini, then?
>>
Bumping last question
>>
>>46866993
You don't sound like a developer, you sound like a gamer from /v/. You don't need a bleeding edge up to date computer to code/compile/test or even run VMs. You should know that.
>>
>>46868600
>VMs
I only have 4 GB RAM. I have Yosemite in a VM, and it trying to do anything in it is absolutely tortuous.
Using a VM thus isn't really an option.
>>
T420 with HD3000 and a Dell DW1510 Wi-Fi card is fully compatible with OS X 10.9 and 10.10, with the exception of the SD card reader. ACPI and power management all work.
>>
>>46866943
This guy has a point.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.