[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what nas should i get? never had one before. please no hp microserver
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 51L7X6xWMgL._SL1024_.jpg (41 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
51L7X6xWMgL._SL1024_.jpg
41 KB, 1024x1024
what nas should i get? never had one before.
please no hp microserver g8, i dont want to spend more than 200$
>>
please
>>
Get a synology. They work.
>>
Bumping I was about to ask the same question.

I would like to get either or 2 or 4 drive bay so I can have 4tbs atleast mirrored for redundancy and then be able to stream movies and such off it at decent speeds.

The synologies are nice, but also pretty damn expensive. The cheaper ones are also so so compared to the next up model which is a BS price jump ($200 or so for cheap 2 bay, $600 for a better 2bay)

There is a buffalo with 2 bays, 8tb installed for $330, but I get the feeling it has shit drives and is slow as hell at that price.
>>
Details zu ORICO 2Bay 3.5'' NAS/RAID USB3.0 HDD Enclosure HTPC/BT/PT Download,Support 6TB

what do you think? 150$
>>
>>46852169
>ORICO 2Bay 3.5'' NAS/RAID USB3.0 HDD Enclosure

It is just an external enclosure not a NAS. I mean if you have some extra HDDs already you want to turn into an external drive it might work, but it looks sort of shoddy, not sure its worth it.

It may be cool to use to plug into an existing NAS to add more drives to it via usb3.0 for slower backups or such though.
>>
so I buy some 2bay synology?
>>
>>46850593
Drobo 4 life
>>
>>46852346

Those are even more retarded expensive than the synologies, what makes them remotely worth the price difference?

I mostly just want network storage to write seeds to and then read from one video at a time and maybe stream from a tablet.

Might be cool if I could access CBZ files with perfect viewer from an android tablet too, not sure if it lets you set network locations.
>>
ok so my x220 doesnt have a usb 3.0
get a nas for better transfer rates or senseless?
>>
>>46852389
16 tb with striping and redundancy. does the job for me fggt
>>
>>46850200
Synology is great, but they aren't cheap.
Have a 5 bay that I use as NAS, wired/wireless router, VPN server, etc.

will probably give that to parents or sister as off-site backup and upgrade to a beefier 8 bay, maybe even the one that does 10gbe.

Only major feature currently lacking IMO is SMB3/Samba4 support, though that's rumored to come out this year.
>>
>>46852391
>usb
wtf r u doing
>>
>>46852416

>faggot
>using what is more or less the apple of home NAS

But how many drives is it and how much did you pay? "Works for you" doesn't mean it was remotely worth it.
>>
>>46852436
800 $ with 4 WD 4 TB RED
>>
>>46852447

$800 for $600 worth of drives and their over priced chassis is pretty reasonable, how did you get it that low?
>>
>>46852436
> you got me on apple of home nas \=
>>
>>46850200
QNAP or build your own.
>>
100% building your own freenas especially on a budget tons of plugins sab, sickbeard, couch potato, transmission.. Plex for streaming.
>>
>>46852473
Amazon had it on sale with 1 4 tb red for 540

i got thte other 3 for 300
>>
>>46850200
>NAS
>Less than 200
Do you already have the drives?

I would just buy a cheap mITX board, thumb drive, and node 304 case, and processor

then run your own freeNAS
>>
>>46852607

I don't see any options for a 1x4tb on amazon.

That isn't a terrible idea though. I could get the $275 4bay chassis and then 2x4tb drives for not much more than the cost of a synology 2 bay. Question is if I could easily expand it to 8tb raid 1 by adding two more later or if there would be issues expanding the raid drive.

How is the software and support for apps?
>>
>>46852632
i will add one drive after another, got one so far

the case alone costs 90€, better go with some 150€ synology all in one?
>>
>>46852632
>node 304 case
>>46852845

How hard is it to swap or add drives? 6 slots is pretty nice. The cost of the board, psu and all will ride up, but it still beats any other 5 or 6 bay option.

Hell one of the main reasons I want to get a NAS is so I can convert my desktop into a mini atx. With a case like that I could probably raid 3x4tb drives for data storage and then have SSD for OS and hybrid for games.

Bit worried about the cooling though with that many drives plus an fx-6300 and 7850.
>>
>>46852655
drobo software is decent. I got it in 11.14. Is a drobo 4 bay 16 tb usb 3.0 fw. I know with these you can just pop in drives as you go. pretty hassle free. i just have it off bring it up when i use it.
>>
>>46850200
>memelogy
might as well throw your money into the wind
>>
>>46852947

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=109453

>unRaid

Anyone tried this? That build is for a pretty cheap microatx system with 6 drive slots. It is an old post too so its probably pretty possible to find better hardware under a $200 total for the chassis now a days.

Still it will take up more space than a dedicated chassis and potentially be better or worse depending. Add in the unraid license and eh. Might or might not be worth it.

That $275 4 slot drobo is pretty tempting.
>>
Holy shit.

http://www.drobo.com/drobo-solutions/drobo-apps/#

Certain drobo models have apps you can install. This one lets you fucking use it as its own seedbox it looks. Sort of removes the need to use a raspberry pi or something as the server to download stuff to it while my desktop is off.

Of course the app enabled versions cost a fortune more and make it 360 back to getting a cheaper version and a pi.
>>
I am thinking about buying the Drobo 5n. The 5 bays, free style raid and apps make it seem pretty worth it.

Thing is, its from dec 2012 though. I feel like they are due for an update. Anyone heard news about them releasing another one or know if its worth getting?
>>
Synology if you want speed
Freenas if you want features
Banana pi if you want cheap.
>>
File: .png (14 KB, 828x412) Image search: [Google]
.png
14 KB, 828x412
>>46855661
Just adding this in case you were wondering transfer speeds of the banana.
Source:
www.htpcguides.com/raspberry-vs-banana-pi-benchmarks-sata-gigabit-matter/
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.