[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smartphones are basically top-tier portable emulation machines,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9
File: GameKlip[1].jpg (61 KB, 600x366) Image search: [Google]
GameKlip[1].jpg
61 KB, 600x366
Smartphones are basically top-tier portable emulation machines, but there's still one huge problem: The controls. Since you have to use the touchscreen, most of the controls are wonky and unresponsive.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with using a controller for a smartphone? How do they work? How good are they?
>>
>>46848361
Bluetooth controller and some type of mechanism to attach it
>>
They are pretty good, get one.
>>
>>46848361
I own ipega controller, they work fine and have 500mah for battery. Bluetooth work seamlessly too.
>>
Developers use the 360 controller the most
>>
>>46848461
Why?
>>
>>46848461
On pc games, sure.
On android games, emulators, etc, no.
>>
>>46848361
I was playing some emulated psx games on ds3 through usb with my tablet. It was alright.
>>
>>46848361
Needing a controller ruins the portability :^(
>>
Also, does anyone have experience emulating Nintendo DS games? Seems like with the built-in touchscreen, emulating it would be even better than using the real thing. Is that possible? Combining both a controller input and a touchscreen input?
>>
File: xperia-play-01.jpg (74 KB, 650x594) Image search: [Google]
xperia-play-01.jpg
74 KB, 650x594
>>46848670
Xperia play 2 when?
>>
>>46848698
>Combining both a controller input and a touchscreen input?
Should be possible with a good emulator.

As long as it can display the screens side by side should work fine.
>>
>>46848698
It's terrible. Imagine using your thumbs instead of a thin stylus to precisely press buttons on a screen that's half the size of a DS one.
>>
>>46848698

Yes, I have a Galaxy Note 8 and run DraStic on it.

It's absolutely fantastic, you can use the stylus and everything.

I have an old pc usb joypad and plug it into the tablet's USB port via a mini-to-normal USB adapter.
>>
>>46848814
What about say, a Note 4? And if you keep the phone in vertical position, I'm sure even if you split the screens vertically they will still come out bigger than on an original DS.
>>
>>46848841
>Note 4
Might as well buy an actual DS at that point.
>>
>>46848361
PS3/PS4 controllers work out of the box
>>
>>46848841
but the controls get over the touch part of the ds
>>
File: motorola_plus_gamegripper.jpg (256 KB, 1049x823) Image search: [Google]
motorola_plus_gamegripper.jpg
256 KB, 1049x823
Oh god the suffering... I'm never going to use my phone to play non-smartphone games ever again.
>>
>>46848865
Usb? Yes, but who uses cables with that?
For bluetooth you need a root application that use the bluetooth exclusively for the controller input, you can't have a controller and another paired device.
>>
>>46848866
And that's why you use a controller with it!
>>
The ps vita for buying psone classics. Hnggg. Can probably get the console for nothing.
>>
>>46848899
>Usb? Yes, but who uses cables with that?
What's the issue with USB cables?

>>46848899
>For bluetooth you need a root application that use the bluetooth exclusively for the controller input, you can't have a controller and another paired device.
Enjoy your massive input latency, chump. This alone defeats the purpose of "gaming controls".

source: I use a ps3 controller and my smartphone for my emulation needs.
>>
>>46848734
Never with is shit

I just want to play some gayms :(
>>
>>46848899
>Usb? Yes, but who uses cables with that?
If you have to attach it to a controller what's wrong with connecting them with USB?
>>
>>46848698
I did it with my Note 2 for Disgaea DS, plays pretty great.
It trumps the PSP one just because you can use your touch screen, so it plays pretty great.
>>
>>46848965
>What's the issue with USB cables?
Using a cable more willl degrade your usb port faster, why not avoid it alltogheter?
>massive input latency
5ms isn't massive, and even games going at 60fps have 16ms frametimes, so you don't experience latency, like, at all.
Every controller on console that uses wireless technology (wii, wiiu, ps3, ps4, xbox 360, xbox one) dont have any kind of issue with this.
>>
File: there.jpg (854 KB, 2724x1840) Image search: [Google]
there.jpg
854 KB, 2724x1840
>>46848361
>>
>>46849173
>Disgaea on DS instead of PSP
Holy shit nigger what are you doing?
Touchscreens on a turn based game isn't an improvement, and you get downgraded graphics, NO real time animations, etc
>>
>>46849402
This is basically what I had in mind, or something like in my original picture. Something that you put your smartphone in that simply gives your physical buttons to use.

Although something with an actual joystick and better buttons would be perfect.
>>
>>46849402
what is this bro?
>>
File: phonejoy and moga.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
phonejoy and moga.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>46849424
It has good buttons.

And joysticks? Then its not portable anymore.

Look at this for comparison. Ots the size of my wallet.

>>46849433
Phonejoy
>>
>>46849408
Don't care. Virtual buttons suck cock.
>>
Xbox 360 controller is plug and play with a usb otg cable.

Ps3 sixaxis controllers are better IMO if you reassign the default bluetooth address of the controller to your phones, then use an app to map the controllers buttons to keyboard presses. I havent done this in a while, so I dont know if it applies to current android versions.
>>
>>46849500
Why aren't you using a fucking pad then?
Holy shit i bet your shitty phone can't emulate psp and that's why you play the shitty ds version
>>
>>46849402
Doesnt that block the headphone jack?
>>
>>46849521
nothing can emulate the psp right
its hardware is still not understood
>>
Is the vita hacked yet?
That's probably going to be the best emulation device as the PSP was before it.
>>
>>46849521
> Holy shit i bet your shitty phone can't emulate psp and that's why you play the shitty ds version
I tried playing Persona 3 and Dangan Ronpa on it. Both work fine, but yeah I hated using the virtual pad.

> Why aren't you using a fucking pad then?
Why would I buy a pad for a phone? I don't play that much on it, and it's only when I'm bored. I own a DS at home too.
>>
>>46849587
Troll or not, educate yourself www.ppsspp.org
>>46849599
>I own a DS at home too.
Why are you emulating disgaea then? Holy shit
>>
>>46849587
Nigga look up PPSSPP
>>
>>46849616
To pass the time?
I carry my phone always, why the fuck would I carry pads and a DS everywhere?
>>
>>46849470
>gaymen on a fucking phone
pleb
>>
>>46849576
Yeah. Theres little connectors. But i dont know if there is a better solution for this since headphones connectors are on different places on different phones.
>>
>>46849587
Are you fucking kidding me?
Just because your phone can't play every PSP game you throw at it doesn't mean the PSP isnt well enough understood. My i7 can play damn near every game that came out for it
>>
>>46848361
>ARM
>top-tier portable emulation
>>
File: 1397983520645.jpg (91 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1397983520645.jpg
91 KB, 256x256
>>46849470
>It's foldable
Oh fuck, forget what I said about a joystick, I want this.
>>
Never mind the controls. The biggest issue with phone emulation is how difficult it is to get running on smartphone OSes other than Android, and how much Android sucks for latency and overhead. Android's shitty design often results in random stutters and audio crackling, as well as terrible audio latency. And phone hardware that ought to handle emulators well sometimes chugs anyway. Most Android emulators implement frameskip by default precisely for all these reasons (and to cater to people still using shit phones). RetroArch is the only one that resembles a smooth experience without resorting to frameskip, but even then it's not perfect even on flagship hardware. AFAIK it cannot go below 64ms audio latency.

iOS is worlds better than Android in that it has none of these problems, but then you gotta submit yourself to Apple's bullshit and then jailbreak it because they don't like emulators.
>>
>>46849726

Its not the os. Its the chipset. The ppsspp developer said so. The snapdragon sucks for emulation. While a shitty 200$ phone with a different cpu runs better than a 700$ phone with snapdragon 805and above
>>
File: smartphone controller.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smartphone controller.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
Use this.
>>
>>46849767
Link? I'm interested.
>>
File: Capture.png (560 KB, 592x639) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
560 KB, 592x639
>>46848361
on your picture

>brilliant
>what is remoteplay®
>>
>>46849576
Phonejoy offers a little brick that will effectively move the head phone jack from the side of the phone to the bottom of the phonejoy.

Just go to their website and look.
>>
>>46849784
Im on my phone but just Google "snapdragon ppsspp developer"

Theres a couple of threads on it because people complain how it still stutters on a 2014 device.
>>
I bought one of the 8bitdo nes30 controllers. It's ok. It has wonky pairing and awful firmware and driver support. Once it's connected it's pretty decent though. It feels like an old Nintendo controller and everything responsive.

There are a bunch of games i can't use it with of course. Like games that require something with two joysticks. It's tiny enough to take anywhere and the battery holds a long charge.
>>
>>46849844
>Tfw I have a exynos cpu
Lucky me
>>
>>46849844
Eh, read a couple of threads on the subject, but all I saw was complaints about poor NEON and GPU performance and some stuff about performance governors gimping performance by default. All worrisome aspects, yes, but outside the crap performance governors, these are mainly problems with emulators like PPSSPP that make heavy use of hardware acceleration, whereas even fucking SNES and GBA emulators that run purely on software tend to randomly stutter, and still have bad audio sync. And none of the threads I read disproved anything I said. In fact, even developers associated with music and sound production have said Android is terrible due to its inherent latency.
>>
>>46849386
>Using a cable more willl degrade your usb port faster, why not avoid it alltogheter?
wat
kek
>>
>>46849386
>Using a cable more willl degrade your usb port faster, why not avoid it alltogheter?
I've been using a small usb cable on my S3 for more than 3 years, no problems so far. The cable is always in a fixed position, thereby reducing any physical strain.

>5ms isn't massive, and even games going at 60fps have 16ms frametimes, so you don't experience latency, like, at all.
Except android doesn't have 5 MS input latency while using bluetooth, try 100/200ms. I haven't measured the latency properly, but it's quite bad. I've come across massive input lag even on flagship devices like the S5.

Hell, even USB has some slight input latency on Android, I can notice it quite clearly even while emulating old games like Driver on the PSX.

>Every controller on console that uses wireless technology (wii, wiiu, ps3, ps4, xbox 360, xbox one) dont have any kind of issue with this.
Android's bluetooth stack isn't necessarily as polished as those consoles. Just because it works on a console doesn't mean it will work just as fast on Android.

You're quite misinformed, have you even tried using a bluetooth controller on android?
>>
>>46850366
>Hell, even USB has some slight input latency on Android

Noticed the same thing on my S4 running SlimKat. It's not terrible by any means, but I'm spoiled by PC emulation. And even THERE there's a small bit of latency (enough to fuck me over against Soda Popinski in Mike Tyson's Punchout), unless you use Linux and run from the console. Nothing gets closer to the real thing than that.
>>
>>46848361
Android supports the 360 controller by default.
>>
>>46848534
That's wrong.

Get a OTG connector and plug in your 360 controller, works great.
>>
>>46850489
And what do I do with this great flopping cable, just wrap it round my waist?
>>
>>46850419
>Noticed the same thing on my S4 running SlimKat
You can install the SixAxis app (requires root) and increase the USB polling rate, I'm not aware of any methods to change this system setting on android using other means.

Maybe that will help a little, but even after changing the polling rate, I still notice the input latency a bit, and yes, even if it's minimal, it's enough to fuck up the gameplay of some titles, unfortunately.
>>
>>46850518
>And what do I do with this great flopping cable, just wrap it round my waist?
You build something like pic related out of common household items (e.g. one of those metal hangers for clothes) , or buy a similar adapter. It's not rocket science by any means.
>>
The only system I ever used for emulating was root + sixaxis controller with a cheap adjustable ps3 controller holster.

Supergnes on a galaxy s4 worked fine, and I never ran into any performance problems.

Right now I'm just waiting for a root to come out for my g3 so I can just do the same thing.
>>
>>46848361
I thinking about getting this shit right here as it doesn't get much more portable and i can attach it to my keys. Must feel like shit and it's quite expensive for what its offering but goddamn anything is better than touch controls.
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-631306252-gamepad-controle-remoto-mini-3-in-1-bluetooth-ios-e-android-_JM
>>
>>46849402
How exactly can you play that game on the phone? I thought you needed a pretty powerful processor and stuff for that.
>>
>>46850656
>supergnes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYsZuIg6yRg
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.