[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's face it /g/, because of Chrome, Firefox will be a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4
File: slow-firefox_1.jpg (216 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
slow-firefox_1.jpg
216 KB, 600x450
Let's face it /g/, because of Chrome, Firefox will be a kill. And MS's new Spartan browser will put the final nail in the coffin. It's also nonexistent on mobile with most people using chrome or safari.

when did everything go so wrong?
>>
Works on my machine.
>>
Ms anything = no thanks
>>
I'm curious about Spartan myself
If it'll work better than FF and have extension support with all I need (uBlock, stylish) then why wouldn't I switch to it when I go W10?
>>
>>46819807
Firefox is the best browser. Your fantasies are not relevant.
>>
I'd move to Chrome in an instant if its text rendering wasn't so broken on Windows 7.

Kerning's all over the place compared to Firefox or IE, and the browser's shit graphics stack stops using subpixel rendering at the slightest provocation from the page's CSS. I can understand not using it with 3D transforms or something, but simple opacity and layout rules shouldn't do that. Almost every page ends up containing a mix of grayscale and subpixel-rendered text.

Yes, I can turn off DirectWrite support, but the old ClearType is buggy as hell with some web fonts.
>>
Vivaldi will save us.
>>
>>46820179
I agree, fucking terrible, looks a lot better on 8 but on 7 I couldn't browse 4chan.
>>
>>46819807
I just want something that doesn't hog my memory and CPU like Chrom* & Firefox
>>
But you know, people are coming back to firefox, it's returning to it's former glory and chrome is getting shittier and shittier. It's true at least for Poland.
>>
>>46819807
I'm actually using firefox mobile.
>>
>>46819996
Its steadily-declining desktop market share and complete irrelevance in the mobile space suggest that most people do not agree with you, anonymous. It's been actively bleeding users for years. There must be a reason why people are moving away from it by the million.

Yahoo's market share in the search sector also dropped this month, despite being the default in Firefox now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfnv4m5ZUQ
>>
2015 the year of Vivaldi.
>>
>>46820181

>meme browser
>>
>>46819807
Anon, either Firefox and/or Chromium and some other browsers will remain maintained for a long ass time, because people still use it.

Same as with all Linux software.
>>
>>46820181
>>46820253
>>46820254
Any browser built on top of Google's botnet fork of WebKit is not the saviour of anything.
>>
>>46820253
Vivaldi is just a Chome shell.
So is Opera.
Might as well switch to Chromium now since it technically doesn't spy on you like Jewgle Chrome.
>>
>>46819807
I'm using the default Android browser.
>>
Hail Maxthon,the true based browser
>>
>>46820267
Blink is open source as in freedom.
>>
>>46820248
Yahoo is only the default in America. IE and chrome have more users than firefox does in America also.
>>
>>46820283
you shouldn't
>>
File: image.jpg (920 KB, 1681x2749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
920 KB, 1681x2749
>>46819807
i use ff on my android phone and my computer. if there was firefox available for ipad i'd use it for mine.
i used to use chrome. then I grew up.

eat a dick cunt, enjoy your botnet
>>
>>46820267
I thought it wasn't webkit.
>>
>>46820409
Reread the post stupid
>>
>>46820399
>Maxthon
>botnet
Citation needed
>>
>>46820285
Would you like to add a Chinese botnet with your browser for free?
>>
>>46819807

> when did everything go so wrong

When they tried to copy chrome and failed.
>>
>>46820588
See>>46820448
Captcha-Rusee
>>
>>46820181
>no memory usage
>>
>>46819807
firefox has some trouble holding upto chrome in the public eye, but the mozilla core (the gecko layout engine) are generally superior, and the massive range of addons and extensibility of the browser has will maintain its viability for a ling time, even if it's eventually recycled into something new.
>>
>>46820588
The problem to me isn't that it is Chinese.

It's just not open sauce. That will bite you in the ass in some - or many - ways eventually.
>>
Firefox is ok the only reason I hate it is because I can't browse /f/ because Firefox won't play swf files in the browser
>>
>>46820645
As long as Chromium is not discontinued or becomes incompatible with Chrome in some important way (addons), there is no big problem anyways...
>>
>>46820248
>having a bigger market share implies it's better
Why do *bsd and Linux even exist ?
>>
File: botnet_cant_into_rounding.png (15 KB, 575x270) Image search: [Google]
botnet_cant_into_rounding.png
15 KB, 575x270
>>46820201
Holy shit, you're right. Chrome's text rendering is really hideous on 4chan.

captcha: unins
>>
>>46820705
Linux has a bigger market share on servers.
>>
>>46820248
>Yahoo's market share in the search sector also dropped this month, despite being the default in Firefox now.
It's been dropping for years now.
>>
>>46820727
Overall it doesn't though so it clearly means it's not good.
>>
>>46820741
It has the bigger market share on world's most important computers, you fucking retard.
>>
>>46820705
Well, nowadays Linux is everywhere with like a gazillion companies and even governments that have a vested interest in it existing.

But ultimately they exist because people want them to, and that's not just people on the corporate / government side of things.
>>
>>46820721
none of those look good though
>>
>>46819807
Firefox has truly turned to shit.

1 tab open takes 200 000+ Ks
Crashes randomly when more than 15 tabs are open.
Doesn't display big images.
Black glitches and artefacs.
>>
>>46819807
Loving Firefox.
Posted from my PC with Firefox browsing /g/.
>>
>>46820750
>not getting what I'm saying
Retard.
>>
>>46820790
You're a fucking idiot. Get back to /b/ or /v/ or where the fuck ever you came from.
>>
>>46820756
>Crashes randomly when more than 15 tabs are open.
>Doesn't display big images.
>Black glitches and artefacs.
Sounds like your PC is seriously fucked up.
>>
>>46820800
>please teach me how to read
Take Stallmans dildo out of your anus and try reading from the top of the thread.
How fucking retarded are you ?
>>
>>46820803
Not him, but have this happen all the time.

Then again,
>Nightly
>>
>>46820756
>>46820803
It does that with some video drivers since its acceleration code is buggy shit that leaks video memory in some way in about 50% of released versions. Try turning down some of the hardware compositing settings in about:config.
>>
>>46820855
>>Nightly
really anon
>>
>Opera 12.17
>more and more pages being fucked up in my browser
>recently pages show up whose https settings make them unable for my browser to connect to
>can't migrate to another browser, their UIs are complete shit
...guess I'll just stop using the Internet
>>
>>46820895
or you could grow a pair
>>
Hasn't been Firefox faster in benchmarks for a while now?
>>
>>46820937
been faster yes in benchmarks firefox
>>
>>46819807

Their engine is deprecated and browsing is slow as fuck.

They killed themselves.
>>
I switched to Chromium some months ago since Firefox kept crashing and having weird artifacts on the tab bar when closing or opening tabs.

Noticed that Chromium was noticably lighter and faster. I've always preferred FF so I might try it again one of these days. Is Nightly the right way to go?
>>
>>46820996
no
>>
>>46821012
ok
>>
Firefox is the fastest, it has full HTTP/2 support and allows HTTP Pipelining
>>
>>46820996
No, not enough stable. Try beta if you want unstable verison that werks.
>>
>>46820945
faggot your are yes
>>
>>46819807
>MS creating something good
keep dreaming hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahaha

>Spartan
hurr durr, Cortana before, now i'll use the kids fan base to rise the utilization of a sh*t browser, c'mon guys...
>>
>>46821044
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>>46821079
>>MS creating something good
The Metro design language
>>
File: 36.0_firebytes.jpg (413 KB, 1887x744) Image search: [Google]
36.0_firebytes.jpg
413 KB, 1887x744
>>46820937
Perceived speed is more than just how fast it finishes some synthetic benchmarks.
>>
According to the wikipedia sidebar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_%28web_browser%29), chromium is under the BSD license, MIT License, LGPL, MS-PL and MPL/GPL/LGPL tri-licensed code, and has unlicensed files.

Does this mean it is free as in freedom?
>>
>>46819966
It'll need more than that for me to switch

Developer tools/support
Tab groups
Sync (w/ custom server)
Non retarded configuration interface that's tied into the os
>>
>>46821203
MS-PL is a free software license but not compatible with GPL.

Unlicensed code isn't considered free because copyrights are opt-out not opt-in in most countries.

All the other licenses are free software licenses.
>>
Is there any decent browser or are they all shit?
>>
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.firefox&hl=en
>>
>>46821304
Depends.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.