[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Single Board Linux Computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: 201412051744489785.jpg (191 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
201412051744489785.jpg
191 KB, 500x381
My Raspberry Pi B+ downloads from my FTP server at ~2.5MB/s. My laptop downloads from my FTP server at 9MB/s. Pi is on ethernet, laptop is on WiFi. I've read that the Pi's network and USB share bandwidth. Would this be the cause of the slower speeds? If yes, what are some cheap alternatives to the Pi? I'm taking a look at the ODROID but I don't want to buy it unless it'll get me better speeds.

Also general single board linux computers
>>
File: idklol.png (77 KB, 960x531) Image search: [Google]
idklol.png
77 KB, 960x531
>>46816777
Its faster, pic related.

I'm using 100mbps ethernet though not gigabit.
>>
>>46816808
Average transfer rate was 11MB/s and 100mbps ethernet theoretical max is 12.5MB/s not counting overhead.

I don't have a gigabit switch or I would test that for you too.

The storage I was transfering to was USB attached.
>>
>>46816808
>yifi
Filtered.
>>
>>46816885
>Implying the rasppi can even handle YiFi bitrates.

The ethernet port caps out at 2.5MB/s according to OP.
>>
>>46816808
>>46816872
Thanks. My speeds at home are only ~90mbps so gigabit switch probably wouldn't do much anyways. Do you know if it's possible to setup lftp to automatically download new content from my server?

>>46816948
The Pi just stores the files. I play back everything using a FireTV running Kodi
>>
>>46816974
I am not the same guy,
I was using this to download from my seedbox.
#!/bin/bash
login=
pass=
host=
remote_dir=
local_dir=

trap "rm -f /tmp/synctorrent.lock" SIGINT SIGTERM
if [ -e /tmp/synctorrent.lock ]
then
echo "Synctorrent is running already."
exit 1
else
touch /tmp/synctorrent.lock
lftp -u $login,$pass $host << EOF
set ftp:ssl-allow yes
set ftp:ssl-force yes
set mirror:use-pget-n 3
set net:limit-total-rate 2000000:512000
mirror -c -P2 --log=synctorrents.log $remote_dir $local_dir
quit
EOF
rm -f /tmp/synctorrent.lock
exit 0
fi

The set net:limit is for bandwith restriction.
>>
>>46816974
Dunno, I don't use lftp.
I'm sure you could probably script something to transfer the files once they have completed.

I myself use transmission-daemon and flexget running on the odroid, using the USB external drives for storage.
>>
>>46816808
Can Odroids even play 1080p in GNU / Linux?
>>
>>46817049
If I were to move the file or folder from the local directory, would the script download it again?
>>
>>46816808
It depends on the type of traffic. That single core can only handle so much packet magick.
>>
>>46817074
Yep, look up the specs on the Mali GPU the drivers support decoding of h264/h265. You can pass uboot options to start up the kernel in 1080p mode.
>>
>>46817078
Yes. I was having a folder called sync, to do the syncing so I would move the file from sync to another folder and it wouldn't transfer.
>>
>>46817109
Where did you buy your ODROID? How long did shipping take?
>>
>>46817109
This doesn't mean shit if no hardware acceleration exists outside of Android. You also seem to think 1080 display means 1080p 30fps video playback.
>>
>>46817109
There's also zero hardware to encode / decode on Mali. That's being done by Samsung tech.
>>
>>46817157
I'm not using Android on my odroid-c1, it has Mali drivers that support hardware decoding on Ubuntu/Debian. It runs Kodi at ~30fps with overlay up and 1080p h264 content with AAC audio playing in the background.
>>
>>46817186
Thats FUD its working fine with Kodi/XBMC.
>>
>>46817200
>>46817187
That's 100% truth brother. I wasn't suggesting that it couldn't. I was asking if they added support yet because until Cortex A17 or A19? ARM wont have hardware video acceleration in house. It's being done by a 3rd party component.
>>
>FTP
cd /some/folder && python3 -m http.server
>>
>>46817256
Oh, yeah the drivers like just in the last few months have become better and support decoding just fine.

I believe the upstream support should be in Kodi by now but I haven't played with it in a while because I mostly just use my Chromecast to stream from the Odroid-c1
>>
>>46817332
That's good to know. The Odroid U2/3 could only do 720p h264 in software because the Cortex A9 designed by Samsung wasn't fully open. The C1 is done by someone else though. Raspberry Pi had the exact same issue because video encode / decode is done by a Broadcom component. You had to use a video decoder released by the Raspberry Pi foundation to get 1080p h264 playback.
>>
>>46817405
Yeah on the C1 the decoding is done by some other chip "videocore?" I'm not sure on the name, the Mali egl acceleration is comming along pretty well too. As of now its fast enough to use as a Kodi center as long as you aren't trying to decode high bitrate movies.
>>
>>46816777
to what? sd card? usb hdd?

if it's a usb hdd, make sure it's not using ntfs, this will put a lot of strain on the cpu
>>
File: odroidkodi.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
odroidkodi.webm
3 MB, 720x480
>>46817405
Made a quick video to demonstrate.

The initial TTY and X both start at 1080p and Kodi in this video is also running at 1080p with a 1080p video playing. I showed the relevant settings screens as well so you could see what decoders it was using.
>>
I read somewhere that the raspberry pi's network interface is software emulated instead of a hardware chip, which is why it's so slow.
>>
> tfw odroid-c1 with import tax costs close to $80 shipped.
> rpi 2 with same configuration 45€=$50

Is the usb/ethernet speed really that bad? I would like to build a NAS for backups.
>>
File: wat.png (312 KB, 1240x732) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
312 KB, 1240x732
>>46818295
>>
>>46818356
Oh nvm euro signs confuse me, there are German distributors too.
>>
File: wat.png (246 KB, 1387x589) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
246 KB, 1387x589
>>46818391
>>
>>46818425
Why does de odroid always come up looking weaker.
>Raspi comunity is Huge in comparison so the software optimization is unparaleled.
>Odroid is all hardware with only a few based supporters.

Every time i look at it the "Superior Hardware" seems underpowered vs the vastly exploited potential of the rpi's.
>>
>>46818514
Odroid can quad boot debian/ubuntu/android/openelec.

It also has better gpu drivers and better hardware video decoding support.

It actually can power USB devices unlike the rasppi.

I dunno where you get your info from.

http://forum.odroid.com/viewforum.php?f=112

Its superior to the pi in every way imaginable.
>>
>>46818586
Seems like a huge payload of work to get something so simple to work.
And It's not officialy supported by openelec it's a build made by the odroid forum dudes.
>>
>>46818641
Not true, upstream openelec already has support for the hardware decoding in the Odroid-C1.

All he did was package the image for easy flashing and use.

But if I am being honest, I don't give a shit about openelec because any retard can install Kodi.
>>
>>46818665
True but I Favor ease of use then setting up a full blow os just to install kodi and keep it running.
>>
>>46818702
You install it the exact same way you do with a pi.

Hell its probably easier because you can just use fastboot via OTG instead of an sdcard reader.
>>
>>46818702
Also your a fucking idiot opelelec is a full blown OS.
Your arguments are inane and sound more like autistic shitposting and whining.

I'ma go work on muh gains, see you later faggot.
>>
>>46818804
holy shit where'd that come from

you got so mad so quick, man.
>>
>>46817200
>>46817109
using shitty libhybris. forget about any native support. they are justy wrapping the android libs with many dirty hacks to work with plain linux. it may work 90% of the time, but when it doesnt there is no possibility to fix it. the only solid linux SoC GPU so far is the videocore IV.
>>
Banana Pi
Isn't that one like a Raspberry Pi but with Gigabit Ethernet?

Someone please post the naked banana.
>>
>>46816777
Find a way to optimize your network connection. If FTP is anything like SSHFS, it's leagues slower than alternatives like CIFS. The PI2 needs any advantage it can get in the ethernet I/O department unless you're just streaming ala HTPC.

>>46818895
This. So much this. I've had a board with a Mali GPU for 2 years (Cubietruck) and since I got it the answer to any GPU issues like native Linux support, has been "fuck you" and "use libhybris" in that order. Mine can't even put a monitor into sleep mode properly. Drivers or not it leaves the backlight on. Massive props to RPI for just working.
>>
>>46818856
>roids
>>
>>46817618
>Not demonstrating with big buck bunny
Go home.
>>
>>46819185
I happen to have a pic.
Banana pro, also comes with wifi on the board.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.