[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So future S6 and S6 Edge buyys, about that expandable storage....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: 2000584274.png (27 KB, 240x176) Image search: [Google]
2000584274.png
27 KB, 240x176
So future S6 and S6 Edge buyys, about that expandable storage....

Yeah.

I didn't think so.
>>
>>46815323

There's the cloud
>>
>>46815332
Yes I really like a skyscraper of a bill!
>>
The more higher capacity SD cards come out the cheaper the lower capacity ones will get.

So bring on 200gb+ SD cards.
>>
They're taking baby steps imo should go from 128 -> 256gb.
>>
>>46815683
Wrong. They will just stop selling the lower capacity ones.
>>
But does it have Premium Sound electrical noise reduction?
>>
>>46816105
They have to run out of stock first

>>46816089
But think about all the shekels they wont we getting then
>>
>>46816105
That hasn't happened so far with previous SD cards.
>>
I'm still fucking shocked that there's no sd card slot in the phone and that the battery isn't removable

whats going on?
>>
>>46816355
They went full retard when trying to out-iphone the iphone and it bit them in the ass
>>
>>46816438

"I suspect that fans of removable batteries and microSD card slots will throw up their arms in revolt over the embedded battery and absent expandable memory...and then I suspect that they'll get over it. Those physical traits are now more the rule than the exception these days, and those meatier storage options will certainly calm the sting."

Straight quote from Review-Powerhouse-Christ-The-Second-Coming-CNET

such a crock of shit...
Where you were you guys when innovation, variety and standards were dropped?
>>
>>46815332
DA CLOOOOUUUUUUUDDDDD

Are you retarded?
>>
Why is the fact that its 200 and not 256gb pissing me off.
>>
>>46816593
Autism
>>
>>46816593
it should be
>>
The card is not a power of 2 so it must be a resale of a defective card that tried to be bigger.
>>
>>46816621
Ar a 256GB with 56 reserved for wear balancing
>>
>>46816593
GB is already not a power of two
>>
>>46816438
They also went fullretard on the specs making a QHD on a 5.1 inch phone with a mediocre battery. I suspect 2-3 hours max screentime assuming you're viewing a decent amount of whites.
>>
>>46815332
And... There's also autism
>>
>>46816141
So you can walk into walmart and buy a 512 mb micro sd right now?
>>
>>46816503

You like removable batteries?
>>
File: our future.png (19 KB, 816x98) Image search: [Google]
our future.png
19 KB, 816x98
why do they even sell 1gb cards and less still?
what could you possibly need that for?
its just so mind boggling to me
>>
>>46817502
Batteries have been known to fail/fault and wear over time. It's always been the case.

With removable being an option, you can buy and replace it yourself within the hour, without having to send the phone in (for days) and have either the entire phone replaced being billed up the ass.

I personally don't buy a new phone every couple of months, I run a phone until it's outlived itself, then I'll upgrade.

This non-removable trend that's catching on has become unsettling in the least.
>>
>>46817511
Because what else are they going to do with the 200 GB dies where 99.5% of the cells are bad? Seriously, low capacity cards these days are high capacity cards that didn't come out right. They can manage almost zero unusable dies on a wafer. That's how SD cards are so dang cheap.

Also, you need 2 GB or less for old stuff that doesn't support SDHC, and you don't need more if you only want to put a handful of albums on an mp3 player.
>>
>>46817511
Because there is still some legacy devices kicking around that cant use higher capacity cards. I have a DS with an older R4. It can't take anything higher than 2gb
>>
Sd & battery kill it imo ill stick wih note 3 as long as possible. Finally paid off my sprint phone yesterday
>>
Lol i paid 30$usd for a 64mb sony magic gate memory stick in 2004. In school we rocked those big ass floppys with the oregon trail. Im talking about the huge ones
>>
>>46817639
Got some audio sampler gear that cant take SDs over 2 or 4 GB
>>
Everything about apple is gay and samsung has finally gone too far with this iphone copy
>>
>>46816716
Huh? What?
>>
it's pretty funny, so instead of coasting, Samsung went backwards with the whole microsd slot removel? hopefully retards don't buy into this shit
>>
>>46816105
yeah but then 64gb cards become the price of 8gb cards
>>
>>46818239
1 GB = 1,000,000 Byte
>>
>>46817595

If I were designing a smart phone. I would use a permanent battery.

Assume two handsets that will be obsolete in 3-4 years.

Exhibit 1: Galaxy 4S REMOVABLE battery
- made with Korean cells
- assembled in Vietnam
- Decline in charge held: 25% annually
- First year failure rate of 0.5%
- Second year failure rate of 2.5%
- Third year failure rate of 5%
- Replacement battery uses cells made in China with even worse specs.

Exhibit 2: Iphone 5
- made with Japanese cells
- Made in Japan
- Decline in charge held: 12.5% annually
- First year failure rate of 0.005%
- Second year failure rate of 0.25%
- Third year failure rate of 0.5%

All this is hypothetical, but pretty must sums up my experience using mobile phones with and without replaceable batteries for the last 10 years.

TL;DR: Having a permanent battery forces a company to ensure a much higher quality component is used. The cost is offset by not having to engineer a battery socket or do testing with multiple third part replacements.
>>
File: dog.jpg (42 KB, 664x520) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
42 KB, 664x520
>>46819092
>Having a permanent battery forces a company to ensure a much higher quality component is used.
>>
File: spiderman - look at him.jpg (46 KB, 442x330) Image search: [Google]
spiderman - look at him.jpg
46 KB, 442x330
>>46819092
>Having a permanent battery forces a company to ensure a much higher quality component is used
>>
File: 1-carbon-fiber-hmds-helmet.jpg (76 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
1-carbon-fiber-hmds-helmet.jpg
76 KB, 580x580
>>46819132
>>46819149

Oh look, two consumer "technophiles" who have never had to consider the total cost of product manufacturing AND lifetime support before.

Cute!
>>
>>46819327
Look at this fucking economist
>>
>>46819327
Because manufacturers totally cover battery replacements outside of factory-defective batteries during the guarantee period

I mean it's not like if most of the time customers have ot pay for both the service and the battery replacement, right?
>>
>>46819460

If a permanent battery device is truly valuable enough to warrant using it beyond it's expected lifetime, then it will be economically feasible for someone to replace it.

Every smartphone replacement battery I've ever purchased was of sub par quality to the original.

There was a time when having a replaceable battery was a good thing -- like 10 years ago when some phones still have NiMH batteries that took 8 hours to charge, it was a necessity to have a back up you could swap in.

Nowadays, with that batteries that charge in under 30 minutes, I'd much rather have a permanent high quality cell that is strong for 2 years and ok for the 3rd year instead of a replaceable battery that is strong for 6 months and then I try to replace it with Chinese dog shit cell that are strong for 1 month and piss me off.
>>
S5 masterrace. No need to update. The S6 is literally a gimmick

>Blatant iPhone clone
>only real difference is the camera which sticks out at the back
>castrated so you can't replace the battery or use a large SD card
>Qhd screen with pixels you can see under a microscope if you want to check. S5's screen looks the same pretty much from most if not all use cases.
>Glass on the front/back. Drop that baby once and you have a double whammy.

They went full Apple on this. The S5 is better in every way. The only real improvement is getting rid of the OS bloat. You can do that yourself by rooting your S5.
>>
>>46819092
>All this is hypothetical
then why even bother typing all that shit out. should have just wrote the tldr and been done with it
>>
File: 1275459078106.jpg (16 KB, 450x456) Image search: [Google]
1275459078106.jpg
16 KB, 450x456
>>46815332
never put your dirt in a cloud anon
>>
>>46816503

That statement is not as bad as what the head of Android said when in response to concerns of the Nexus line no longer having microSD.

>“Everybody likes the idea of having an SD card, but in reality it's just confusing for users,” begins Duarte. Well, confusing for some, but a deal-breaker for others. Need more than 16GB storage on your smartphone? Forget about the Nexus 4.

>Duarte continues: “If you’re saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? Should there be a setting? Prompt everytime? What happens to the experience when you swap out the card? It’s just too complicated."

>“We take a different approach. Your Nexus has a fixed amount of space and your apps just seamlessly use it for you without you ever having to worry about files or volumes or any of that techy nonsense left over from the paleolithic era of computing.”

http://www.mobot.net/googles-matias-duarte-microsd-cards-confusing-nexus-consumers-49589
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.