[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Project Ara
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Project_Ara_scattered_parts.png (511 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Project_Ara_scattered_parts.png
511 KB, 720x480
Is this truly the future of mobile phones /g/?

I like the idea but I don't think any companies will invest and make their own modules for it so it will probably fall flat on it's face.
>>
Just like that that stupid crowdsourced laptop that's as large and as heavy as three 15.6" normal laptops with the power of a netbook and the cost of a MBP but "muh open sourced hardware," of course it'll be popular with /g/.
>>
Many major companies won't want to because they'll lose profit, but I think they'd make more if they sell a screen for $100 to people who can't afford their $500+ phones, they'd actually make more by getting new customers in the long run
>>
is that the iphone 7?
>>
>>46767919
I think it's awesome. A modular phone that you can upgrade and add new features without having to replace the whole thing, like a PC but easier. Also, it's easier to replace batteries quick and it allows you to sort of build a phone with the specs you want

>inb4 too thick
if thinness is what you want in your phone, get the shitty iBend 6+

>inb4 drop phone, RAM flies out
drop tests have been done, it's fine. and if you do drop it and break or lose a part, at least you won't have to replace the whole phone like in the past. and of course, if you break the screen it's simple to replace

I hope this won't fail like the Google glass and other shit like that, it's really innovative
>>
>>46768240
Fuck off faggot
>>
>>46767919
I like the idea. Don't a lot of modern phones offer decent water protection? If so, how well would this work with the exposed contacts or is there some kind of seal?
>>
This is so fuckling stupid
>>
>>46767919
It's a cool idea as long as it's appropriately priced but it seriously looks ugly as hell. Makes me wish that it had a back cover to hide all that ugly Lego shit on the back and keep it all in place
>>
>>46769170
>implying you won't be able to buy a cover
assuming all your modules are flat, you could easily make a cover for it so they will almost certainly be available if this takes off
>>
Thickness is my main concern. If I can buy a phone with the same specs but thinner, I'll do it.
>>
>>46769114
much intelligence.

I'm completely for this idea. I'd love to be able to replace a part for my phone instead of having to pay a premium deductible that will cost a lot more . Plus not having to buy it subsidized or finance it. Hell yes
>>
>>46767919
I'm looking forwards to it for the slim chance that they offer different sizes so that I can use a small phone.
>4.0" screen
>720p is perfectly fine
>MicroSD in case I ever want to actually store things on my phone, 8GB internal would be fine
>Adequate cameras, nothing special
>2-4GB of ram, doesn't matter because it would be easily upgradable
>Power efficient cpu
>Large battery so I can go over a week without charging when I barely use it.
>Slide out keyboard module that could double as extra battery
>BONUS: Make it able to remove Android and install Ubuntu phone OS if it doesn't suck.
It's all I really want from a phone.
For reference I currently have a nexus 4 and it's ok but I dislike how big it is and the mediocre battery.
>>
>>46770561
m8, Ubuntu phone won't be compatible with ara. it wouldn't have the app or software needed to use the modules. and you can install Ubuntu phone like any other android ROM since it's partly android based, someone just needs to make a version for your device
>>
>drop phone
>phone explodes
wew lad
>>
>mfw I'm in Puerto Rico RIGHT NOW

I'll buy the product test when it comes out and shit post all about it on /g/.

If it's actually viable and successful, it will mark the end of planned obsolescence, at least for smartphones.

Replacing the components you want to upgrade the most is much better than getting jewed out of $700 for a device that costs less than $200 to buy and assemble.
>>
>>46770561
The base chassis will come in three different sizes, I don't remember the specifics but it will be something like 4", 5", and 6".
>>
>>46767919
You only have to stop and think for a minute to realize this will fail miserably.

It's bad both from the technical and the market/industry standpoint.
>>
>>46771671
>what are phone cases
>>
>>46771661
It wont be carrier specific so a lot less bloat ware
>>
File: you dumb mofo.webm (247 KB, 440x432) Image search: [Google]
you dumb mofo.webm
247 KB, 440x432
>>46771736
>only available for Claro or Open
>paying 16% of IVA tax
>staying that long in Puerto Rico

>not just getting a 2nd edition g and moving out
>>
Some resources:

http://projectaraforum.com/blog/
http://projectaraforum.com/blog/project-ara/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vVxYDPB9r3TKZHe-B9eaDHoMmOvBwZIJ_hyrqUIBfdE/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Product test will be on Puerto Rico because everyone and their grandmother has a smartphone.

Marvell, Novidya, Texas Instruments, and others working on SoCs
Sennheiser and others working on audio modules
Toshiba on camera modules
Kingston and others working on NAND
Many big-name and emerging manufacturers with interest

Frame transfer bandwidth between 10Gb/s and 20Gb/s, depending on module size. (bottleneck for CPU and RAM?)

>There will be two frame sizes available at first: “mini”, a frame about the size of a Nokia 3310 and “medium”, about the size of a LG Nexus 5. In the future, a “large” frame about the size of a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will be available.

>As for pricing, it’s much too early to tell. We have set engineering and manufacturing goals for the bill-of-materials cost of a basic, entry-level Ara device to be in the $50-100 range. It’s important to note that this is just the cost of the components and says nothing about how it will be priced–it could be more or less than that (e.g., with a carrier contract).[...]
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.