[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the future you choose? Please make it stop.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2
File: nodejs-light.png (14 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
nodejs-light.png
14 KB, 600x300
Is this the future you choose? Please make it stop.
>>
let the shitstorm begin
>>
Node hype has already died down. Forget about it.
>>
What exactly does Node.js help with? Why is it so popular?
>>
>>46736103
Writing stuff in Javascript.
I mean, I understand people using Javascript for web, but who on earth would think about writing a desktop application in PHP for example? So why would you do that in Javascript?
>>
File: implying.jpg (16 KB, 263x200) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
16 KB, 263x200
>>46736136
http://gtk.php.net
>>
front end dev here, is it worth learning the MEAN Stack over ruby on rails first?
>>
It's good for prototyping and developing small scale app servers.
>>
>>46736160
I'm so glad this is abandoned
>>
>>46736169
>MongoDB
>no JOINs
>no serverside subqueries
>forced to have redunant data
>horrifying syntax if not used with Javascript
Why are these people even trying to find something better than MySQL?
>>
>>46736169
This is what you need.
>GNU/Linux distribution
>Apache or nginx
>Cassandra or PostgreSQL
>Python w/ Django or Flask

Ruby on Rails and MEAN a shit.
Python > Ruby
MEAN can't scale well (if you want decent performance)
>>
It's so fucking easy to program, it's fucking great
>>
>>46736063
JavaScript is the new VB6. Programming for people who can't program. It even follows the same paradigm of trying to keep going and probably producing wrong results even if it encounters an error in your code.
>>
>>46736698
JavaScript is not that bad as long as you use === everywhere.
>>
>>46736303
>>no JOINs
Holy fuck is this real life? How the FUCK can you use a DBMS without joins?
>>
>>46736948
With having redunant data.
>>
>>46736915
What do you mean? I use === and !== where I can but why do you say that?
>>
Would it be a terrible idea to manage a list of usernames and passwords without a database like sql or mogodb or whatever?

Couldn't I just make a text file of username, password and a program that reads it into a hash?
>>
>>46737219
Yes you fucking retard. NEVER EVER use text files for persistent storage in a server.
>>
>>46737219
>text file
Whyyyyy

Mongodb and other nosql DBMSs are great for frequent reads. They also scale WAY better than SQL dbs
>>
Is there anything better than NodeJS for a simple web-app (with just user authentication and some random post writing/reading)?
>>
>>46737256
PHP
>>
>>46737292
why does /g/ hate on PHP so hard though?
>>
>>46737408
I don't hate on PHP, there's literally nothing better to make webapplications with it.

It's a bit slow. I used a lot of C++ written cl programms via PHP's exec() for heavy-calculation tasks... meanwhile I preffer golang because I have to care about less stuff than in C++.
>>
>>46737485
That is interesting, thanks. I've written a bit of php myself, but it is not my strength, I might try some framework (not sure if that's the right term) if I ever decide to get into light web server side again.
>>
>>46737256
literally everything else
>>
>>46737256
laravel
>>
>>46737256
Django
>>
>>46737485
>I used a lot of C++ written cl programms via PHP's exec() for heavy-calculation tasks
Ugh, I hate having to do this. It feels so clumsy.
>>
>Node based REST API on the server
>Native frontends (Android, iOS, native desktop...)
>Angular if you need an html based frontend
>All using the exact same backend

Why the fuck would you faggots think this is bad ? The architecture is so much better, I don't get all the hate.
Is it because Node is JS and you are stuck in 2005 thinking it's all slow as shit ?

Ever heard about JIT compilation ?
>>
>>46737816
>Is it because Node is JS and you are stuck in 2005 thinking it's all slow as shit ?
You're talking to people who complain about the most mainstream websites breaking, because they have javascript disabled.
>>
>>46736303
postgresql is infinitely better than mysql

FAGGOT
>>
>>46736873
this.
>>
>>46736915
JavaScript has a lot more problem than just equality operators.
>>
>>46737834
So the thread is full of retarded neckbeards who think the NSA is tracking them through ajax calls ?
Makes sense.
>>
>>46736596
no
delete all of those "or" statements

it's:
get some fucking loonix
NGINX NOT FUCKING APACHE
POSTGRESQL NOT CASSANDRA

PHP => python > ruby

cry about it, it's fact

PHP was shit long ago, and is still slightly shit.. however you can still build much better shit with it than anything else, and python for web has its place, but that place isn't "everything"
>>
>>46737839
>no built in auto_increment
I can work with postgres, yes, but yout bait is bad.
>>
>>46737893
wat?

you use serial fucking faggot

create table anonisafaggot (ID serial, nigger text, faggot varchar(200));
>>
>>46737816
It's exactly because of the javascript

Our new, or at least relatively new project is on node and I've yet to encounter major problems with it so far
>>
>>46737219
Look up SQLite
>>
>>46737408
google "fractal of bad design" and you'll know why everyone hates it. It's certainly not unique to /g/.
>>
>>46736948
by changing your way of thought.

you don't need joins with mongo
>>
>>46737816
>The architecture is so much better
better than what? Node.js is only good when it's being compared with shit.
>>
>>46737219
You are literally worse than Hitler.
>>
>>46737902
I will never stop learning.
But I'm too lazy too look up change notes. I bet they didn't have that 10 years ago.
>>
>>46737929
Yes because it's such a good idea to store everything on 5-10 different places.
>>
>>46737878
yes
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.