[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The evolution smartphones is off rails
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 12
File: 379183-mobile-phones[1].jpg (99 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
379183-mobile-phones[1].jpg
99 KB, 650x366
Let's play a game /g/

List 3 invention about smartphone since 2008. One rule: It's need to be useful, and not just hardware upgrades and screen size incrementation.
>Protip: You can't.

Smartphones slowly dying, we got no improvements for like for 6 years. Apple stopped to make new things, and now follows market, they even moved to a Korean design. Samsung and LG are making overpriced dull phones from materials cheaper than middle tier Chink phones. The biggest marketing stuff about Android now is the number of cores; "muh cores" and not the fact they finally moved on ART, from the 20th century Dalvik. And be honest ART is turned out as a slight improvement. Windows phones are considered new technology, but not a single new features introduced in mobile market. Mozilla is just like SJW of technology, but I really hope the Firefox OS will be the new breakthrough, but let's be honest it will not.
Smartphones slowly dying /g/ we buying the same old shit for 10 years.
>>
>>46731080
install ganoo
>>
Please /g/ prove me wrong!
>>
>>46731163
read the sticky.Install gentoo
>>
File: pkgg.jpg (2 MB, 1575x2109) Image search: [Google]
pkgg.jpg
2 MB, 1575x2109
>>46731163
Smartphones have become like PCs.

The improvements are primarily software along with hardware upgrades to make it faster, bigger, etc.

If you're looking for something "revolutionary" you're probably not going to see it in the smartphone itself, rather in the devices that can connect to it.

I mean, it's not even like smartphones were a totally unique idea, they just combined a palm pilot and a cell phone together.
>>
File: 550x-sharp-aquos-phone-1[1].jpg (34 KB, 550x438) Image search: [Google]
550x-sharp-aquos-phone-1[1].jpg
34 KB, 550x438
I actually prefer flip phones but the convenience of touch screens is hard to give up.

If only shit like this was easy to get and available on my carrier without going to 3G.
>>
-app store
-digital wallet
-selfie stick
>>
>>46731208
That's not the improvement of this decade. Nokia Symbian phones had have pretty useful OS, with applications that made them capable to use the device like PC-s. I've played Quake on my Nokia E51 in 2007, had Office tools and etc. There was even devices with Intel x86 CPU.

The reason you say is true, smartphones are smart because they're general purpose devices. But that's the improvements of the fist 8 years of this century.
>>
>>46731230
I would consider a phone like that actually. One of the reasons I don't have a smartphone is that I would break it really really fast.
>>
>>46731249
>since 2008
>>
>>46731230
woah dude.. is this android for real? does this phone work in europoor lands? where can I buy it?
>>
>>46731286
That phone is old as shit. There are newer touch flip phones out there but I think most of them are sold only in Japan and China.

http://www.kyoex.com/categories/Shop-Flip-Phones/Sharp-Flip-Phones/

I haven't been keeping up with them since getting them was a pain in the ass.
>>
>>46731286
I don't know that one exactly, but here is some other models.
Lenovo A588t
Daxian W189
>>
>>46731080
Waterproofing
IR blasters
On screen buttons
Phasing out of USB ports due to wireless charging, wireless file transfer
>>
>>46731367
> Waterproofing
20st century stuff

>IR blasters
Even the shittiest Nokia could do that in 2004, I've even used mine as remote control.

>On screen buttons
There always been a model with qwerty or more than 3 physical button.
And avoiding on screen buttons are considered "clear new technology"

> Phasing out of USB ports due to wireless charging,
>wireless charging
Implying that's an useful thing, like charging slowly with 500mA with a 1500mA charger.

> wireless file transfer
Welcome to 2006
>>
Let's just say with wireless charging worth a half:
0.5 out of 3 invention
Come on /g/ you can do it better!
>>
Moto x active listening, moto x active notifications, apples finger print reader
>>
>>46731080
"okay google"
>>
USB 3.0 charging
Dual sim phone
Siri/OK Google? Voice recognition?
Fingerprint unlocking
>>
>>46731532
>>46731367
Don't bother, anons; OP has already made up his mind.
>>
>>46731532
>Dual SIM
Have you ever been in a chinese market? Like in 1998 or later?
>>
>>46731573
Actually no. I really want to know what was the best cellphone revolution since 2008
>>
>>46731587
The technology has existed for a while, but it hasn't been popular until recently, now that people are realizing chink phones aren't trash.
You still haven't commented on the other three.
>>
>>46731616
It was about as popular 10 years ago as it is now. Aka not that much.
>>
>>46731606
1) That's not what you said in your OP
2) There doesn't need to be any revolutions in cellphone technology. They can already do everything a desktop computer can. Until desktops do something "revolutionary," there's no revolution to be had in the area of cellphones.

So you're double stupid for not asking the question in the first place and then asking the wrong question.
>>
>>46731249
>digital wallet
April 2006 PayPal goes mobile

>selfie stick
Well not useful in my hones opinion but it's a thing and people keep buying it, so let count that one
>>
File: 31476426-2-440-front-2[1].gif (28 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
31476426-2-440-front-2[1].gif
28 KB, 440x330
>>46731489
>Moto x active listening
Voice recognition was available on BlackBerry and even on Symbian S60. There was an improvement since the old days, and it's actually works fine with native english speakers. It's got popular with Siri, but it's more like a meme material, than an actual service.
Doing this all the time is just wasting battery, why not short circuit you battery in the first place?

>moto x active notifications
pic related

>apples finger print reader
Snake oil!
Do the same as Android gesture screen lock, but with lack of precision. Even a simple pin is more reliable.
Not that bad, this feature actually creative, but not that useful I think.
>>
OP you can say the same thing about cars or computers and they are not dying
>>
>>46731532
>USB 3.0 charging
USB 3.0 is not a smartphone related technology, they've just use them.

>Dual sim phone
see this anon >>46731587

>Siri/OK Google? Voice recognition?
>Fingerprint unlocking
see >>46731848

Voice recognition and Fingerprint unlocking togethet actually worth a half for me.
>>
>>46731854
Cars actually have improvements for years. Like every year.
They use less fuel, getting more safe, getting more intelligent and they design vary more then smartphones. of course they had no more wheels or anything revolutionary, but they at least trying.
>>
Let's see what we got in the last 7 years:

> Ultra slow wireless charging if you put your phone in e a narrow pad, but you don't have to plug in an adapter.

> Voice recognition, so you can post your funny content on shitthatsirisays.tumblr, and you can keep arguing with you phone if you don't have a gf

> Fingerprint unlocking, you (and your family) can touch your phone so it's recognize you and let you pay. you don't even have to type in 4 number

> Selfie sticks! Yeah, this is the only hardware stuff that actually considered new.

What a time to live! And it's only took humanity 7 years of technological advance.

Okay /g/ let me make this easy for you, say just ONE thing that really useful, like in everyday use. Something that don't need to be a bloatware to force people use it. And let me reduce the limits, let it be 2005, now we have a 10 years interval. Tell me /g/ what happened in the smartphone industry that interesting and new stuff, and actually worth a try and money.
>>
NFC payment systems
>>
>>46732010
Google Now

Whatever you might say about the botnet, the capability for the phone in your pocket to learn about you and give you information updates proactively is a step up from it being a passive tool that you use to find that information.
>>
>>46731080

Hmm. Voice recognition does not require holding sir I button. Cloud based services to back up your shit over the air. (Not sure if I cloud was around 2005 or not).

NFC, though to be fair its almost a rehash of Bluetooth.

You could say wireless charging is too slow to matter, but all new tech starts that way. It exists now and I guarantee in time they will speed it up.

Really, you have a point. There haven't been as many revolutions lately, but I don't think that means that smart phones are going extinct. They're still useful. Something would have to replace them, and right now nothing is filling that void, certainly not smart watches.
>>
File: WP_20150215_13_47_38_Pro.jpg (431 KB, 1232x1949) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150215_13_47_38_Pro.jpg
431 KB, 1232x1949
battery life
>>
>implying you need new technology to make a product sell
>implying improving current technology isnt enough
>>
>>46732875

This.
>>
High quality video output?
>>
File: global smartphone shipments-3.png (522 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
global smartphone shipments-3.png
522 KB, 1200x900
>smartphones are dying

you're a fucking retard op
>>
Because you don't need something totally revolutionary every year.
They can already do most things.

We're still seeing big improvements with their CPU/GPUs, screen technology and battery technology.
>>
Fuck off, abandon thread

OP will make up what ever shit on the spot to "Disprove" what you say.
>>
File: Linux DEs.png (86 KB, 1209x625) Image search: [Google]
Linux DEs.png
86 KB, 1209x625
Convergence like the Ubuntu for Android vaporware would be neat.

Imagine you have only one device, and at strategic points (home, work/uni, airplane/train etc.) you have sets of monitor, mouse and keyboard to plugin your phone and get a real desktop system working.
>>
File: 1286935111999.png (11 KB, 356x376) Image search: [Google]
1286935111999.png
11 KB, 356x376
4G
Cross Platform, mobile video-conferencing
Mobile MMOs (as much as I hate them)
Virtual Wallets
>>
Tell you what tech I'd like to see...wireless charging over WiFi. That shit would be so boss.
>>
>>46733319
boss but also dangerous, no way can radio waves carry that sort of charge, neither would it be safe for them to do so!
>>
File: 1411519006361.jpg (13 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1411519006361.jpg
13 KB, 625x626
>>46733319

>wireless charging over WiFi

Learn2physics

Wireless, contactless charging has been tried (in a research environment) but it's too inefficient/slow to be useful.
>>
Google wallet, water resistant smartphones, laser focus camera on g3.
>>
>>46731080
NFC
wireless charging
3G/4G/LTE
>>
>>46733350

Hey, a fellow can dream. Didn't say it was realistic.
>>
>>46733350
If everyone had your attitude no shit would ever get invented
>>
>>46733554

I never said it wasn't possible, nor not something worth trying.

The thing is it wouldn't work or be compatible on existing WiFi standards
>>
>>46733913

OK then. Time to bitch to the IEEE!

We're going! Let's do this!
>>
>>46732425
>>46732425
Not bad.
But it's more like over-engineered bluetooth.
And pay with a vulnerable piece of hardware is like wearing yellow stars in Germany in 1933: It's not a direct threat, and lot's of people use them, but the is that little chance things get worse...
>>
Project Ara anyone? Curved displays? Face/smart unlock? Yotaphone? S-Pen? Augmented reality apps?
>>
>>46732717
This one is really interesting. I mean this is actually useful.
Not bad anon, not bad.
>>
>>46734062
64bit processors, chromecast, remote desktop, controlling drones, smart watches, high res slow motion video, 41mp cameras
>>
>>46733966
>>46733989
Kill yourself.
>>
>>46732822
>Cloud based services
Well, Cloud storage was indeed a revolutionary idea. This is actually a good suggestion anon.
Cloud computing is believed to have been invented by Joseph Carl Robnett Licklider in the 1960s
Amazon Web Services introduced their cloud storage service AWS S3 in 2006
Apple iCloud developers release dated June 6, 2011 So if we consider the mobile version of the cloud storages you got me!

>wireless charging
Okay I have to admit wireless charging is not snake oil at all. There is situation where is can be practical.
>>
>Smartphones slowly dying

Stagnation doesn't meant they are dying.

But if they are meant to die, let them. They will be replaced by something even better.
>>
>41mpx camera
>mechanical shutter
>led for focusing
>xenon for flashing
>OIS
>>
>>46732822
>>46732875
>>46732948

Well I don't say they will extinct, just they reached the point where there is no more features to add. (this is what I meant with "die")

Maybe smart phones are already at the state of art, they don't evolve like the way cars or GPU-s do, they fit the gap on a market they made. This is the reason why mobile selling rates are increasing: They're complete, and even people whom are not in technology want it.

But then why is smart watches is so interesting for folks? They are literally shit. Useless over hyped gadgets for customers with too much money. But they want it so badly, they want something new. The time will come that people get bored about smart phones and move something that is far as complete and useful as them, but new. And that will be the end of mobiles we know.

Like the same happened to mechanical watches. There is only a few group of people really admire that piece of technology. Watches are complete, done, and at state of art, not a single new thing included.
>>
>>46732946
I really love the HDMI output on chink phones, but somehow it's not so popular.
Good one anon bw!
>>
>>46732875
>>implying improving current technology isnt enough
Okay then please stuck with your phone for the next 10 years.
>>
>>46733375
>Google wallet
PayPal Mobile 2006
Vulnerable and not widely used
>>
>>46734225
The rest of the phone is garbage though.
>>
>>46732848
>battery life
The capacity and durability of cellphone batteries is maybe the only thing that didn't change much since Lithium-ion battery got commercial introduction in the early '90.

But it can be the next big revolution, I'm really interested about the StoreDot technology.
>>
>>46733070
>Because you don't need something totally revolutionary every year.
OP said there was no improvements in the last 10 years, not just the last 1 year.
Indeed mobile market do not require breakthrough every year to be a billion dollar business, sadly.
>>
To be honest, the hardware improvements are actually a pretty big evolution.

As time goes by, the processors become more and more powerful and energy efficient. This is big not omly for smartphones, but the evolution is arguably because of them.
>>
>>46733129
This would be radical!
>>
File: mobile_fps_award.jpg (282 KB, 970x377) Image search: [Google]
mobile_fps_award.jpg
282 KB, 970x377
>>46733282
>4G
Okay, 4G was a big step in mobile communication, and therefor in smart phone industry.

>Mobile MMO
Picture related
>>
Change is gradual OP, not all at once.
We have phones that have optic zoom, optic image stabilization, can record 4K video, have screen with higher resolutions than TVs, and can get faster internet connections than the average US home internet connection.
Some are trying to put extra sensors for health and biometrics, and while everyone won't use those features they're nice.
There was the Samsung Galaxy Beam, that had a goddamn projector built into it.

More powerful phones are getting cheaper and cheaper to produce. Smart phones are better than they've ever been. Enjoy it.
>>
>>46734586
You're right. Discounting the speed of the processors is really a painful thing to do.
The speed at which ARM has become better and better is astonishing.
Saying the speed improvements are negligible is like saying modern cars are bullshit since the steam engine exists much prior, or that power steering is worthless since the steering wheel existed first.
>>
>>46734062
>Project Ara anyone?
The LEGO phone? Google do research about this, they end up with a model where you can change the battery, the storage (sd card like stuff), and the camera, there is plans, where you can change the main board.
Not bad, but you can do the same with a MTK chink phone, ali-express and a screwdriver.

>Curved displays?
LG G Flex, interesting idea and actually something new.

>Face/smart unlock?
Good idea, until you cut your hair.

>Yotaphone?
I've waited for this. The Yotaphone is a great idea, with a great design. I admire that, but there is not so many use-cases for the secondary e-ink display.

>S-Pen?
We moved from PDAs for a reason.

>Augmented reality apps?
This is an interesting topic indeed.
There was a company who developed a card game, where the cards had QR like code, and you could watch the battle of two character with your phone. It's was a good idea until they start making the other side of the cards like classic cards for investor request, and ended up a classic non-AR card game. It's turned out that when people met to play card games they wont stuck with their phones.
But there is a lot of potential in this field.
>>
>>46734115
>64bit processors
Do handhold devices need 64 bit architecture? And if the answer is yes, is there any benefit moving to 64 bit? It's surely a big thing on the technological side of the story, but it's totally featureless for a simple customer .

>chromecast
torrent

>remote desktop
Did that on my Symbian S60

>controlling drones
Drones are truly a revolutionary stuff! But barely connected to mobile phones. If you want to control a crone you need tactile feedback, there is apps for drones on iOS too but that's are useless, I've tried 2 of them. On the other side high-tech drones controlling is done by notebooks for a trivial reason.

>smart watches,
Can't wait for smart toe-rings

>high res slow motion video, 41mp cameras
Implying there is anybody who use their cellphones as cameras. I mean it's a good thing that you can shot photos anytime, and record videos of you dog, but just for a casual manner. If you need serious photography or artistic images, you need a dslr camera.

There was attempts to make mobiles with usable lens and objective, and it's failed. Pic related, it's the Moon-moon of the camera-phones.
>>
>>46734225
see >>46735029
>>
>>46735029
>Implying there is anybody who use their cellphones as cameras. I mean it's a good thing that you can shot photos anytime, and record videos of you dog, but just for a casual manner. If you need serious photography or artistic images, you need a dslr camera.

The largest market for cameras is the casual market.
SLRs never out sold cheap point and shoot cameras.
Just now are SLRs gaining ground because, Surprise, cell phone cameras are good enough for the average consmer to not need another camera.
The point and shoot market is shrinking, all thanks to cell phones.

No one is going to pick up a Z3 compact and go shoot the hobbit, or lord of the rings, but for parties, and dogs, and the shit people casually take pictures of it's fantastic.
>>
>>46734586
>>46734645
Maybe you are right after all.
But it's hard to not see that, the last 5 years passed without anything new happened in the mobile industry.

I agree about that hardware improvements are really important, and gradual by it's nature. But improving cameras is just snake oil for me, mobile cameras are just casual image taking devices, not intended for professional use, nobody needs a 4K video taken by a shitty optic with on small unchangeable storage.
>>
>>46735153
No one needs 4k video. 360 interlaced is good enough.
But fuck 360i, WE WANT SOME GODDAMN 4K.
youtube supports 4k, so make some content for it!
Show someone how to paint a garage kit or change their oil in glorious 4k.
>>
>>46735140
>The largest market for cameras is the casual market.
I agree, but casual market don't need 41mp cameras, they don't care about how many pixel the image have, they more care about chromatic aberration, and shitty lightings.
Casual market need better lens, not mega-pixels

inb4: muh megapixels, it's important to take a big sample of photons, but not for a teenage gurl with a 16GB iDontCarePhone
>>
>>46735221
Just like the point and shoot market, numbers people don't understand speak.
MP are easy, and look impressive.
tl;dr, they know who they're marketing to.
>>
>>46731367
>on screen buttons
How can people be in favour of this piece of shit? How can you be ok with getting a significant amount of less usable screen because the manufacturer was to lazy to implement actual buttons?

>inb4 m-muh customization
Xposed additions can do pretty much all and even more customization than soft buttons

>inb4 m-muh bezels
Because on screen phones have no bezel right?

>inb4 I dont like it
Fair enough, but people should have the option, manufacturers should make it easy for the averahe retard to disable them
>>
>>46731606
No, you haven't. This is an attempt at bait and thankfully most people are ignoring you, as they should be.

You ask one question and then claim you asked for another later. You've lost the thread, delete it or leave no one really cares anymore.
>>
>>46731080
The next "revolutionary smartphone" won't be called a smartphone. To innovate is to make something that has not existed before
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTKqpArIrM&t=2m24s
>>
Thankful we don't need use Opera Mini or stock Symbian Browser on small screen anymore to browse internet.
>>
>>46731080
I've been saying it for years.

Smartphones need ambient temperature sensors - infrared sensor would be a nice bonus too.
>>
>>46736478
Oh yeah, that was shitty and awesome at the same time.
Feels so long ago.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.