[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come professional artists use mac? like musicans, graphic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 21
File: image.jpg (728 KB, 1460x3635) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
728 KB, 1460x3635
How come professional artists use mac? like musicans, graphic designers and shit.
not b8, I'm really curious
>>
>>46714530
they don't. any real professional who works with colour will use windows, because mac has no 10bit colour support.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 412x351
>self-absorbed teenagers/art students
>"professional artists"
>>
>>46714560
Artists, not Autists.
>>
>>46714563
why would that make you feel this way. u sad brah? maybe a little peeved u didn't give it a shot in your formative years and now you're sittin here tryin to learn haskell or some sh*t? LMAO get real
>>
>>46714530
>How come professional artists use mac?

Because most people mostly use the Adobe programs, and they work just the same on Mac.
Only difference is the Mac itself looks shinier and fits their hip lifestyle.
>>
>>46714530
pay 2 not worry all that much about stuff, mac
>>
>>46714573
if you dont think 10bit colour is important for photography, print, digital painting and film you are highly mistaken
>>
>>46714591
anybody who's anybody will be viewing it on a mac, tho

WOOH. brutal
>>
>>46714579
Not him, but where did that come from?

It sounds like you're projecting.
>>
>>46714563
hey... there might be exceptions, but generally speaking, epic bait, shitposting and memeing aside, people working on that kind of industry tend to use mac, there is always exceptions, of course.
I've been working on that field a bit, and I've seen it for myself, never been a macfag myself nor seen anything that made me want to switch.
>>
>>46714612
the image he posted. i could understand an angry pepe but sad pepe always makes me think envy. not sure why but i am tho kinda because most of the time it is envy.
>>
>>46714591
Yet somehow everyone in the industry gets by fine with a Mac....in the nyc fashion industry, no one uses windows.
>>
>>46714560
Unfortunately, 10bit color is basically still a maymay at this point.

Check out this thread http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3538545
Has a lot of insights, both for and against. Good read.
>>
File: cern2-2[1].png (315 KB, 651x454) Image search: [Google]
cern2-2[1].png
315 KB, 651x454
Also, why do the world's top scientists use macs?
not b8, I'm really curious
>>
>>46714704
you will find many scientists running unix operating systems, linux workstations everywhere.
>>
>>46714715
thats because a lot of the in house software is written for linux
>>
>>46714677
old forum thread, 10bit colour support has improved since 2013
>>
>>46714704
Number of people using macs In that image = 9

Number of black laptops I see = 7 maybe 8 (blurry)

Maybe Maybe they both do the same thing? I.e. compute..
>>
Macs work well, are Unix-like, and don't cost enough to matter.

If a couple of grand for a professional tool hurts, you need to re-evaluate your life. Even lowly auto mechanics often have several thousand dollars in just their toolbox, not the tools.

I do fine with other PCs and don't need a Mac but I'm not snotty enough to presume my use case is universal.
>>
>>46714742
>10bit colour support has improved since 2013
More monitors have it, more applications have it. Sure.
But in the real world, not a lot has changed since then unfortunately.

Regardless of how good it is, or how widely supported it is, it won't be relevant until people actually start using it.
>>
Graphic designer here, no idea. PC is superior in so many ways
>>
Imagine you see a person using a laptop.
if he/she is using a mac you will judge them differently if he/she is using a normal laptop.
some really famous musician or whatever is using a acer laptop, its completelly different if he's using a mac. sorry for bad english.
>>
Just to add a bit more, I remember reading, back in the days, mac meant literally superior hardware and superior software written specifically for it. That changed, none of the above is true anymore. I remember that one guys that was some sort of video post-processing-do-it-yourself guru, he switched, because there was no longer a reason to use mac anymore.
>>
>>46714530
I use a mac because as a music producer alot of websites where I get my plugins are fucking viruses. Literally fucked up 2 700$ laptops because of it.

Common sense my ass. I never got viruses from other things before.

But since a plugin for my daw requires instalation its a .zip.exe shit. Its rare but it happens.
>>
>>46714814
Also no doubt of this, you buy mac because you buy status in so many fucking cases.
>>
>>46714839
people care if you have a mac?
>>
>>46714839
You're a fucking idiot.

It sounds like a mac really is the best thing for you.
>>
>>46714814
what the fuck are you trying to say?
>>
>>46714839
As a Mac user, it saddens me that this is the kind of retard I may get associated with.
>>
>>46714530
Because it's a meme.

Mbp just happened to be about the best non gaymen prebuilt laptop awhile back, and the decent hardware that came in it outperformed normies' shit laptops.

Normies didn't know what specs to look for when buying a laptop, and you couldn't tell them a brand to buy, such as Lenovo, Asus, hp, etc. because they had so many different models to choose from, but there's only one mbp, and it had decent specs, despite the os. So it caught on, because normies can't into technology, it had an easily recognizable trademark look, performed better than any of the garbage they'd ever used before, and it cost more, so in thier mind, it HAD to perform better.

>tfw I just finished building a PC for the best artist I know, because she was tired of her Mac slowing to a crawl whenever she used solidworks. She'll never use Mac again.
>>
>>46714853
No. Its just convinience.

Batch downloading plugins on a windows pc always spelles disaster. Even with antivirus. I dont have fucking time to single handedly check 300+ plugins every time.

Macs are prone to most windows based viruses so Im happy.
>>
I know that a large portion of digital illustrators actually use Windows PCs because they need the performance.
>>
>>46714923
>because they need the performance.
you can get this on mac as well, just pay more for it lol
>>
>>46714704
Reminder that these were the people who used Comic Sans on their slides. And for anything important they use Unix or a variant. Macs are for taking notes and sending emails.
>>
>>46714530
Because in the early days, Photoshop only ran on a Mac, and thus the saga began...
>>
>>46714835
Back when my dad (a commercial artist) got his first computer in the late 80s he got a mac because it was actually better for graphic work at the time. He continued to stick with them long after it mattered out of habit.

These days I'd hazard that Windows pcs are the better solution, but there's a good number of people who will get a mac anyway because that's what their last five computers were.
>>
>>46714920
>not just using Komplete
>not just recording samples
>>
>>46714958
>>46714957
yes
>>
>>46714964

> using samples

Pleb. I bet you think daft punk is good too.
>>
>>46714950
>you can get this on mac as well, just pay more for it lol

I know you're joking, but you'd be surprised how many studios actually cluster Macs together to achieve better performance than even the highest specced Mac Pro can offer, instead of just buying a more powerful PC for half the price.
>>
>>46714989
bitch, I don't think you know what a sample is. Say I wanted a specific analogue that I couldn't replicate digitally easily, I would record that sound with a microphone that recording is a "sample"
>>
just face it a lot of people simply don't want to deal with Windows bullshit and go the easy route. that's all it is
>>
>>46715025
>a lot of people simply don't want to deal with Windows bullshit
This. If Adobe provided a native version of the Adobe Suite for Linux I would be using Linux instead.
But as it stands, I have to choose between Windows and OS X and I'll take anything over Windows.
>>
>>46715020
Who cares how you make your shitty dubstep music nerd.
>>
>>46715011
this is interesting, do you mean render farms or some shit like that, I don't think I fully understand what you mean, and I was joking, but it is true tho¿?

p.s. while we are at it recomend me a wired optical mouse that is good durable and cheap pl0x /g/uys
>>
File: mac.png (769 KB, 695x800) Image search: [Google]
mac.png
769 KB, 695x800
this thread needs a picture
>>
>>46714839
This is bait, right? Why would you get plugins from anywhere but the official site?
>>
>>46714530
At one time Macs really had an advantage with music editing software, firewire and real time kernel.
Now it's because it's expected by others in their field and even their clients so they go along with it.
A friend of mine worked in the design department of a big advertising company and they all used iMacs, those things aren't particularly fast and don't nave particularly great monitors, but hey when you walk in it just screams ARTISTS AT WORK.
>>
>>46715130
>but hey when you walk in it just screams HIPSTERS BROWSING TUMBLR
ftfy
>>
>>46715140
To you maybe, but you're not the client. It's for the people that want a new packaging designed for their detergent and whatnot.
>>
>>46714763
Macs are Unix, Apple has the money to spend in certification.
>>
>>46715044
Adobe could do that, if weren't by the 100000 different distributions lying outside.
>>
>>46715201
Macs are scam reversed
>>
I work in let's call it a contemporary graphic design firm. Meaning it's a more artistic endeavor and technical knowledge is even lower.

Macs being rather idiot proof is a big plus and also out of the box reliability. The aesthetic factor is also one that can't be overlooked.

Different products tailored for different people i suppose.
>>
>>46715232
kek
>>
>>46714903
Underrated post
>>
It's a status thing. They look more fancy
Startup companies (that have the budget) all get Apple products, white offices, white computers, white tablets etc.
It just looks more professional.
>>
>>46714530
>userbase is over half children
figures
>>
>>46714530
because at some point mac had great audio software and hardware
and now they keep using it because their favorite programs are there

also, macs aren't bad, they have enough power - just expensive. And artists have money.

I'm not talking about 3d, even good mac may be too weak for hipoly modelling, but "3d guys" i know are always using pcs.
>>
File: f9c.jpg (5 KB, 241x151) Image search: [Google]
f9c.jpg
5 KB, 241x151
>>46714953
>And for anything important they use Unix or a variant.
>Macs are for taking notes and sending emails.

Wut
>>
>>46714839
My god. You're dumb.

Glad you have a mac and don't annoy any fellow windows mates with your bullshit.
>>
>>46715539
>artists have money.
topkek

No they have not. That's why it's so goddamn stupid.
>>
>>46714839
you should have guessed freelegalpluginsformac.ru was dodgy
>>
>>46715565
they want people to think they have money

it's the reason why so many children want apple hardware
>>
File: 8753085.jpg (134 KB, 956x813) Image search: [Google]
8753085.jpg
134 KB, 956x813
>>46714839
>I get my plugins are fucking viruses.
>Literally fucked up 2 700$ laptops because of it.

Each time your laptop gets a virus you buy a new one or wtf?
>>
File: dell-u2212hm-monitor-back.jpg (27 KB, 451x406) Image search: [Google]
dell-u2212hm-monitor-back.jpg
27 KB, 451x406
>>46715086
having to put books under your monitor to make it higher.
>>
>>46714839
I don't claim to be an artist or a music producer, always used windows running ableton, cubase, pro tools, fruity, reason sometimes, plenty of vst and plugins.
Never got a virus in almost seven years
>>
>>46714839
wtf are you doing on a tech forum.
>I bought a new PC because I got a virus.
>>
>>46714530
Its mostly about software support
>>
File: cry me a river.jpg (76 KB, 509x607) Image search: [Google]
cry me a river.jpg
76 KB, 509x607
>>46714530
>tfw no gf
>>
>>46715737
>tfw only 7 years to full wizardry
>>
>>46714560
Why am I a MacFag?

Because I’m a photographer. My clients pay me not because my photos are good, but because I know what I’m doing. They pay me for reliability, for what they believe their money is worth. I am not going to ruin my name by editing photos on a PC, which I’ve had problems with. Crashing, freezing, overheating, etc. I once had a PC go into sleep mode because I was stitching together an 8 picture panorama. It was too much for it to handle for some reason. Pff. Do you think I have time to build a hackintosh? To fuck around with virus scans on my PC? No, I don’t. This is why I use a Mac, this is why the whole industry does. You all obviously have different needs than I do, I respect that. I don’t downplay YOUR choice in a PC for YOUR needs. Yet, you PCfags can’t seem to understand that.
>>
>>46715623
Think different.
:^)
>>
>>46715792
>tfw 11
>>
Graphic designer here. I use Windows.
>>
>>46715802
>Crashing, freezing, overheating

you are obliviously a stupid fuck.

especially if you think overheating is a windows problem

the REAL reason the industry uses iOS is because it works out of the box

most "professionals" cannot be bothered to set anything up or learn to properly use every piece of equipment they have
>>
>>46715802
Well you are an idiot. The only reason the design industry use mac is because of early desktop publishing application were mac only. Im a motion graphics designer and guess what, mac and pc are the same. Macs a bit more expensive thats about it. You can project that fact that YOU was to stupid to use windows as windows fault. Why are you even on this board.
>>
>>46714530
Because mac is the most superiorest personal computer ever made.
>>
>>46715866
>>46715873
>replying to b8
>>
File: mah nigga.jpg (26 KB, 446x336) Image search: [Google]
mah nigga.jpg
26 KB, 446x336
>>46715866
>>46715873
winrar
>>
>>46714530
Well you know it depends.
A lot of people identify themself by what they have.
Like 99% of Mac Users.

Of coarse everything real/professional from artists to scientists do not identify themself by what they use. But by what they do.
The MacBook is just a tool to work with. They could do it on any other plattform.
I thinks it's rather the littler evil, in therms of beeing less shitty than beeing an actuall good tool. Thats why MacOS is widly used.

Lets be honest. MacOS, Windows and every Linux Desktop have theyr flaws. It's just really up to you.
>>
>>46714530
Okay noone has said the right answer. In the mid 90s, a lot of the big graphic design applications that were coming out was mac only / more supported on mac. This then grew with the brand. The same way pc users are more associated with office shit even though both today can do the same things. Plus artists are usually more fashion / appearance conscious and this macbook pro im typing on is beautiful
>>
>>46715895
He asked why professionals use it, not why plebs like you do.
>>
>not buying dell xps15 and have better hardware on a better looking machine
U dun goofed
>>
>>46715930
Because professionals use superior products? There's your reason.

Only plebs have PCs.
>>
File: 33day uptime.png (50 KB, 820x620) Image search: [Google]
33day uptime.png
50 KB, 820x620
>>46715802
lol mactards every time.

Apple has abandoned you. Where's your 2011-3 MacPro?

How many times a day do you reboot?

Crashing? Freezing? WHAT IN THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Pic related, my system. 33 days uptime... and still going.
>>
>>46716035
>How many times a day do you reboot?

I've literally not rebooted my Mac once since I purchased it, unless you count the reboot to finish installation of 10.10.2.
>>
>>46716069
pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>46716069
Dont you update anything? open your app store thing and there will be some updates you pleb
>>
File: 1397430752679.png (479 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1397430752679.png
479 KB, 625x626
>>46715802
>>
>>46714530

Macs were really good at creative applications right at the beginning of the digital revolution up to about two generations ago. They had an advantage of being not so expensive as they are now, they had almost common viruses, they had a lot of panache that Windows was lacking at the time. This helped them tremendously in gaining a consumer base. They were then inflated by people who wanted to seem artsy and bought the computer for an image. Now it's down to brand loyalty for actual artists and image.

They're not bad computers by far - just way too fucking expensive.
>>
>>46716116
>pics or it didn't happen
Of what?

>>46716118
>Dont you update anything?
I do. All my stuff is up to date. App updates don't require reboots - only OS X updates do.
Even behemoth suits like the Adobe suit doesn't require rebooting.
And as I mentioned, I rebooted the once when I updated OS X to 10.10.2.
>>
File: 1423674479184.png (182 KB, 1400x800) Image search: [Google]
1423674479184.png
182 KB, 1400x800
>>46714629
Definitely projecting
>>
>Musicians
CoreAudio is best audio driver
>graphic designers
Photoshop's optimization for AltiVec back in the days of PowerPC made it faster on the platform, popularized it, and that popularity carried into the Intel age.
>>
If your life focused on design, you'd likely buy a computer that focused on how good it looks.
>>
>>46716118
I dunno im on my 2013 macbook pro atm and I restart it now and then. No shame but yeh man who cares people restart there OS.
>>
>>46714762
underrated post
>>
>>46716257
Graphics designer here.
My clients will never know if my work was done in Photoshop or GIMP, on a Mac or PC.
And they sure as hell don't care as long as the result is good.
>>
>>46714530
because of low audio latency or something
>>
>>46715802
That was a quite stupid post, damn. I really shouldn't hang outside the programming threads.
>>
tradition. mac use to be the only pc that supported multimedia apps. then windows started catching up in late 90s. theres no difference in support of those apps now. those apps arent better on either. thyre pretty much the same.
>>
>>46714632
Anyone who you would know ie people looking looking for attention aren't very good.
>>
>>46714530
Is that some zettai ryouiki?
>>
when u use a mac, u suck steve jobs shrivled up cancerous mummiffied cock
>>
>>46714530

All the answers in this thread are dumb and uninformed.

OSX used to be the exclusive platform for many creative applications such as those that musicians and graphic designers would use. It hasn't been that way for over a decade now, Windows gets everything relevant that OSX gets. However the stone has been set and that's the way people still perceive it to be.

Windows actually has far more options these days. This, coupled with the affordability of a powerful custom-built desktop PC, makes a Windows machine a far better prospect for creative digital production. As with other areas, idiots and people who don't care to learn any better are swayed by crApple marketing.
>>
>>46716744
>All the answers in this thread are dumb and uninformed

>parrots something that's been mentioned numerous times already
Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>46716192
kek
>>
>>46714903
>artist
>solidworks
Designing gears for first semester assignment isn't art anon.
>>
>>46714530
because:
1. most people buy prebuilts anyway and macs are a decent and safe/predictable option
2. most people suck at computers, so when they click not_malware.jpg.exe on their mac they don't get raped

so mostly, it's just ease of use/convenience. it's the same reason people play games on consoles, even if it's in several ways inferior and more expensive.

you really need to step out of the nerd mindset if you want to understand the average person out there.
>>
>>46717555
designing gears in solidworks is mostly a matter of determining what the size and limits for the gear is, you don't really need to draw them from scratch
>>
>>46714957
Underrated post. Back in the day when a Mac was the affordable option... And yeah, PS was initially written for the Mac. But nowadays there no reason to buy a Mac instead a PC for Photoshop, unless you like throwing money away.
>>
>>46714530
Actual graphic artists use a PC. 2D artists who want to animate will go with Flash, on a PC. Enthusiast 3D artists will go with a PC that's got a Quadro graphics. Adobe software are terribly optimized for MacOS now, with terrible 64-bit support, CUDA there is a joke. The Mac's hardware basically allows for print and QuarkXPress.

It remains a toy for hipsters, indie pop musicians, and this kind of "artists" >>46714563 because mommy and daddy can make it, while their reject will call them cisgendered homophobes.
>>
>>46718049
>artists who want to animate will go with Flash
Top kek. Welcome to 2015 anon.
>>
>>46715927
This.

For what it's worth, Macs are also commonly used in biochem, o-chem, molecular biology, genetics, cell biology, etc. labs because these some of the few fields where Macs truly work better than Windows.
>>
>>46715802
because you're too much of a fucking rertard to take a few hours to research good hardware and assemble a capable workstation
That's why you're a macfaggot
don't be ashamed, that's the reason for most
>>
They might just prefer macs. I'm an illustrator and graphic designer and I use a pc. I had to use a Mac in our college computer lab but that's it.

I have had some experience with companies refusing to work with me (one guy said I wasn't a "real" designer) because I didn't own a mac. I guess because of file differences. Oh well.
>>
>>46714839
>malicious software fucked up hardware
yeah, nice b8
>>
>>46718176
>I guess because of file differences.
No. Just pure ignorance.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 486x495) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 486x495
FUCK THIS WHOLE FUCKING THREAD.

IN THE EARLY 90S MACS WERE MORE FRIENDLY, EASIER, AND BETTER SUITED FOR GRAPHIC DESIGN FOR STUPID PEOPLE. THAT IS NOW WHAT EVERYONE THINKS EVEN THOUGH IT DOESNT GOD DAMN FUCKING MATTER ITS A FUCKING COMPUTER A CRAFTSMAN DOESNT BLAME HIS TOOLS. FUCK YOU. IM SO GOD DAMN TIRED OF THIS BAIT.
>>
>>46714530

>52% of female Mac users under the age of 20

This explains everything.
>>
>>46718141
"My $400 e-machine kept locking up, my $2000 Macbook doesn't..."
Guessing this isn't far off...
BTW, our current graphics guy doesn't care, he says as long as it runs Photoshop and Illustrator we can use whatever we want. (And since Windows is wipe your butt easy, he is on that)
>>
>>46716157
>hey had an advantage of being not so expensive as they are now
You're an idiot, probably 18 or younger.

Macs now are not *nearly* as expensive as they once were.

They were at least 1.5x more expensive in the PowerPC days.
And 100x more incompatible.

Using commodity peripherals on a mac laptop that costs 900$?
That was fucking science fiction back then.
>>
>>46718249
Yes. As long as they're under 20 they're still hot, meaning they'll get a rich boyfriend who buys them a mac.
>>
>>46714530
The reason is actually that back in the 1990's windows based graphics cards were not as good as those on macs. This all changed around 6 or 7 years ago and the graphics support on a windows card is equal if not better than mac
>>
>>46716744
several people in this thread said that u fuckwad.
>>
>>46718141

>put together a workstation

photographers usually aren't so high-autism they bring their desktop to shoots
>>
>>46718839
>implying photographers do major editing at a photoshoot
>>
>>46718839
photographers usually aren't so high-autism they bring their laptop to shoots
>>
>>46715414
>go to cafe near my uni
>three guys have lined up three tables and are all "working" on Macbooks
>each have either an iPhone or iPad on their table as well
>only available seat is three feet away from them
>talking loudly about their "business"
>spend 2 hours reading there and only ever hear about their social media marketing, nothing about the actual product or service
>>
>>46716157
>They had an advantage of being not so expensive as they are now,
What planet were you living on?
>>
>>46719096
>go to cafe near my uni
>have some anecdotal experience
>shrug it off as it was anecdotal, and there's no way that three people in the same place can accurately represent the image/brand/usefulness of Apple
>go home, take off my fedora, and go to sleep

I
>>
Musicians: logic pro. Can't get on windows
>>
>>46719224
Is it really anecdotal if large amounts of people report the same experience? Obviously scientist will never perform a "How retarded are Mac users?" study, but that doesn't seem reason enough to disregard a common phenomena.
>>
>>46719289
It may happen to you and it may happen to others but it still has no representation of an entirety
>>
File: 1421515798223.png (635 KB, 689x650) Image search: [Google]
1421515798223.png
635 KB, 689x650
>>46719224
>go to /g/ on 4chan
>get anal blasted by truth
>cry rape and cisgender hate crimes for not worshipping apple
>>
>>46714530

Combination of software, GUI, "just works," no need to configure or customize, and probably discounts for the office if you buy a bunch of iMacs.
>>
>>46719318
>go on /g/
>try to disprove a comment about anecdotal evidence with more anecdotal evidence
Are you even trying?
>>
>>46719312
Doesn't need to be an entirety. A large portion is more than enough.
>>
>>46719349
But you don't know how large the portion is, so you've no clue whether or not said portion is large.
>>
>>46719361
Are you arguing against a subjective term now? I've seen enough to conclude that the proportion of stupid mac users to stupid users of other brands is large.
>>
File: 2-640x403.jpg (65 KB, 640x403) Image search: [Google]
2-640x403.jpg
65 KB, 640x403
>>46714530

Pro UI designer here. I use OSX because some important software like Sketch 3 or Affinity Designer are Mac exclusives. They are superior to the Adobe's products in terms of interface design capabilities.
>>
>>46719419
Or so you think. You've seen enough to conclude that from what you personally have seen, Mac users are stupider. This doesn't make it fact nor the slightest bit relevant to others.
>>
>>46716189
your uptime, faggit
>>
>>46715802
>everybody is this fucking stupid
ITS A COPYPASTA FUCKTARDS
http://springfieldpc.dyndns.org/gcopypasta/123-mac-apple-trolling-a-shitposting/487-im-a-photographer
>>
>>46719560
>your uptime
However long it's been since 10.10.2 came out.
>>
>>46714530
Probably because they are locked in an ecosystem. Most places still use microsoft products for this reason.
>>
>>46714950
Thing is a lot of high end macs actually have decent specs but they get thermal throttled down hard because of muh minimalist design
>>
>>46719683
great pic you have there

it didn't happen
>>
File: inori at desk.jpg (416 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
inori at desk.jpg
416 KB, 1920x1080
I've been a "media professional" since the late 90's. television broadcasting, recording studios, video editing, photography, etc

the general trend in the 90's was to buy the most expensive product on the market. clients always thought that "more expensive = better" so that normally meant rare vintage gear, huge consoles, and as computers moved in; macs. This sort of mindset still occurs in the mid-level world of professional media but not so much on the high end.

>recording studios
still primarily mac-based. up until avid bought digidesign, pro tools was mac-only software. pro tools became the industry standard and that obviously meant you had macs in your studio. this is shifting slightly as I see more studios going with cubase or nuendo. audio post studios (for broadcast or film) tend to be PC based because they're using software like audition, premiere, media composer or vegas.

>video editing
some smaller editing studios are based on final cut, but most of the larger professional studios are PC. avid media composer and sony vegas are common, due to their compatibility and relative stability. they're also moving huge amounts of data over local networks so PCs are preferable for their better networking support.

>photography, graphic design
most photographers use macs, mostly because of their displays. adobe CS seems a little smoother on macs and the thunderbolt display is brilliant. they don't typically need a ton of power so macs work great. they're also aesthetic and trendy so they fit in with the hipster mindset of these professions.

>3D modeling, animation etc.
as stated, these guys are almost 100% PC.
>>
>>46719788
>implying I'm gonna bother looking up my uptime, screenshoting it and uploading it for some faggot on gee
I know your kind. You'll just keep moving the goalpost, asking me to make a webm because it was shooped then asking for remote access because you still don't trust it.
>>
>>46719823
do you even know how to take a screenshot on OSX?
>>
File: how to take screenshot in OS X.jpg (560 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
how to take screenshot in OS X.jpg
560 KB, 3264x2448
>>46719922
DUH
>>
>>46719474
The large number of anecdotal experience compiled together makes a phenomena. Whether you choose to recognize it or not is up to you.
>>
>>46715792
>mfw in a few months I will be 27 and haven't even kiss a grill yet.

Is it too late for me, g?
>>
>>46719806
You are right about avid, but most companies are running AVID UNITY ISIS servers on PC hardware, and the client machines are running apple hardware.

I specialize in avid systems. Its rare to find a fully PC environment for Avid, they exist but are rare.

AVID FOR LIFE.
>>
I work part time in an independent recording studio, the engineer there has a bunch of Mac Pros (the old ones) and some PowerMacs running through a Neve mixer and it's all going into ProTools. The studio uses them because of Core Audio's handling of latency during large recording projects (like 16 channels or more), we also have some Metric Halo gear that's Mac only and RTAS plugins tend to be more stable under MacOS.

That's pretty much it. I don't know why people would use them for graphic design or video editing though.
>>
>>46720059
PowerPC is still extremely relevant in the audio industry for this exact reason.
>>
>>46719985
>apple shit
>those fag chairs
>jeebus on the table

does not compute
>>
>>46719922
Yes.
>>
>>46719788
Why wouldn't it? The only OS that really has an issue with uptime is Windows.
>>
>>46720008
guess people seeing Elvis and Bigfoot are telling the truth then, because there are so many of them.
>>
>>46720114
Is rebooting a system that big of a deal?
>>
>>46720114
>uptime
>ancient system not used anymore
kek
>>
>>46718226
Isn't that what Stuxnet was? Plus, exceptionally well designed viruses can be virtually impossible to remove without destroying the hardware.
>>
>>46720172
I'm not saying it is a big deal, just that there's no reason that his uptime couldn't be that long.
Also for that computer it is a big deal, it's a server.

>>46720174
What?
>>
>>46716035
Only rebooted for updates/to use windoez 7
>>
>>46720207
that implies corruption down to the firmware level which is highly unlikely in regular cases
>>
>>46720114
>>46720208
Show us a process list... top for example.
You don't use this computer for anything. It's just on.
fucking mactards
>>
>>46719466
>moderat II
noice
>>
File: Capture.png (5 KB, 363x69) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5 KB, 363x69
>>46720114
>server
AYYLMAO
>>
File: 109 days.jpg (146 KB, 741x522) Image search: [Google]
109 days.jpg
146 KB, 741x522
>>46720208
we server now
>>
>>46720114
why not use the vpn feature? it's the easier ipsec vpn to setup/use
>>
>>46720249
>pic related

>>46720299
Did I ever say it was a publicly accessible server?

>>46720301
>Windows
>server
Sure anon

>>46720336
I just send my traffic through an SSH tunnel
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.